Lockpicking chests...

#1 Edited by handlas (2545 posts) -

I contemplated bothering to even ask this but it's infuriating me. I cannot do it!

Am I the only one?...

That can't pick the chests. The first door you lockpick in the game was easy. But I cannot do the chests. I line up the left stick and right stick and hit the right trigger over and over and the top sphere part (I guess that's the lock?) moves all the way from right to left and then my dood just backs away every time. Am I not hitting RT fast enough? It's kind of hard when I have my hands contorted to hold the right stick and left stick in position.

Oh... and fuck lockpicking the chests to begin with. What a dumb addition.

#2 Edited by drac96 (654 posts) -

That sounds like a bug. Normally you do what you're doing and then when he backs away the chest opens. Are you keeping the left and right sticks in place when you're jamming the trigger?

My brother was having a problem where he couldn't counter any enemy attacks no matter what he did. Restarting the console fixed it, but I assume you already tried that.

#3 Edited by handlas (2545 posts) -

@drac96 said:

That sounds like a bug. Normally you do what you're doing and then when he backs away the chest opens. Are you keeping the left and right sticks in place when you're jamming the trigger?

My brother was having a problem where he couldn't counter any enemy attacks no matter what he did. Restarting the console fixed it, but I assume you already tried that.

That would explain it if it is a bug.... because it seems jacked up to me. I was surprised no one had mentioned how difficult it is. I move the top portion all the way from right to left and my guy automatically backs away from the chest and nothing happens.

@ChadMasterFlash said:

You have to spin it REALLY slow.

i am! I lock in both sticks and hit RT until it gets to the end

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@handlas said:

@drac96 said:

That sounds like a bug. Normally you do what you're doing and then when he backs away the chest opens. Are you keeping the left and right sticks in place when you're jamming the trigger?

My brother was having a problem where he couldn't counter any enemy attacks no matter what he did. Restarting the console fixed it, but I assume you already tried that.

That would explain it if it is a bug.... because it seems jacked up to me. I was surprised no one had mentioned how difficult it is. I move the top portion all the way from right to left and my guy automatically backs away from the chest and nothing happens.

@ChadMasterFlash said:

You have to spin it REALLY slow.

i am! I lock in both sticks and hit RT until it gets to the end

You have to hold the sticks in the same spot wile hitting the trigger. 
#5 Edited by handlas (2545 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@handlas said:

@drac96 said:

That sounds like a bug. Normally you do what you're doing and then when he backs away the chest opens. Are you keeping the left and right sticks in place when you're jamming the trigger?

My brother was having a problem where he couldn't counter any enemy attacks no matter what he did. Restarting the console fixed it, but I assume you already tried that.

That would explain it if it is a bug.... because it seems jacked up to me. I was surprised no one had mentioned how difficult it is. I move the top portion all the way from right to left and my guy automatically backs away from the chest and nothing happens.

@ChadMasterFlash said:

You have to spin it REALLY slow.

i am! I lock in both sticks and hit RT until it gets to the end

You have to hold the sticks in the same spot wile hitting the trigger.

Yep. Doing that.

Well nevermind then. I think drac96 already gave me the correct answer and I didn't even consider it before. Game has been buggy as crap for me already so it wouldn't surprise me. My patience has worn thin between this and XCOM. Thank goodness Forza Horizon is bug free and superb.

It's just gold in the chests right?

#6 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

Dude, I have the same issue, I can maybe get 1/3 chests to work. The other 2/3 times, I will either be rotating forever never finding the right spot. or I will find the spots and have the lock reset half way through for the million times I try. I hate it, there is zero point of having it in the game.

#7 Edited by handlas (2545 posts) -

@david3cm said:

Dude, I have the same issue, I can maybe get 1/3 chests to work. The other 2/3 times, I will either be rotating forever never finding the right spot. or I will find the spots and have the lock reset half way through for the million times I try. I hate it, there is zero point of having it in the game.

I literally can't get any chests to open. I have no problem finding the "spots" when rotating the sticks but I cannot open the chests. I don't fail halfway thru or anything... I complete the unlocking process and it just doesn't do anything.

#8 Posted by pyrodactyl (1642 posts) -

@handlas: gold and receipes for side quest items. Try hitting the trigger faster. What you described happened to me first time I tried to open a chest but a retried and it opened. Think I wasn't fast enough on the trigger the first time.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Yeah it sounds like you are doing it right and running into one of the many bugs in this game. It's ambitious but c'mon ubisoft fix this game!

#10 Posted by JSwan13 (272 posts) -

Same thing happens to me, game is filled with bugs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.