Battlefield 3 Gameinformer Coverstory and Artwork

• 81 results
#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I CAME...

Cover Front and Back

And here's the teaser text for their preview. Gorge yourselfs on close to nothing at all. The mere fact that BF3 finally takes shape is more than enough to wet my undies in anticipation juice.

The franchise that revolutionized online multiplayer for PC games is back.

In our world-exclusive cover story, Game Informer unveils the first numbered entry in the Battlefield series since 2005. Many longtime fans are wondering, "what took so long?!" DICE has honed the concept for the true sequel for years, but it wasn't until the company developed the powerful new Frostbite 2 engine that it felt all the pieces were in place to create a proper follow-up. Armed with powerful upgrades like deferred rendering, real-time radiosity, a new animation system borrowed from the EA Sports label, and an exponential leap in destructibility, executive producer Patrick Bach dubs Frostbite 2 "the best piece of technology on the market when it comes to building games." 

#2 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

omg 

edit: actually, poster boy looks so much like BC2's ... this isnt good news :(

#3 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

hey looks like literally exactly like the cover art for BC2

excited already!

:/

#4 Posted by Guyzea (816 posts) -

I CLEANED...

#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

"DICE SETS IT'S SIGHT ON CALL OF DUTY" 

-_-

#6 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" "DICE SETS IT'S SIGHT ON CALL OF DUTY"  -_- "
I really hope that is just extrapolation on the magazine's part.
#7 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

...exponential leap in destructibility...

What does that even mean? OMG! I need to know.
#8 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

What is with the burning soldier artwork nowadays EA? Make something new. That was BC2s look.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
#10 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
I'm hoping that's just marketing hype or something.
#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Seppli said:
"

What does that even mean? OMG! I need to know. "
Maybe we can blow up the ground now. 
#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Seppli said:
"

Maybe we can blow up the ground now.  "
sounds like sexytime
#13 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
" @KaosAngel said:
I'm hoping that's just marketing hype or something. "
It fucking better be.
#14 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

I really hope they get away from the over-bright bloomy look of everything in BC2, and cut back to a clear, crisp look that doesn't make playing the game such a damn chore for my eyes. I'm sure it was fine for some people and there will be different opinions/points of view on this, but I much prefer when map lighting doesn't severely interfere with the gameplay, and when the game is more about skill and tactical awareness, rather than knowing which shadows to hide in.

#15 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Seppli said:
"

but...

...WE ALREADY CAN!
#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Binman88 said:
" I really hope they get away from the over-bright bloomy look of everything in BC2, and cut back to a clear, crisp look that doesn't make playing the game such a damn chore for my eyes. I'm sure it was fine for some people and there will be different opinions/points of view on this, but I much prefer when map lighting doesn't severely interfere with the gameplay, and when the game is more about skill and tactical awareness, rather than knowing which shadows to hide in. "
i like u
#17 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

How many times has Dice set its sights on Call of Duty now?  Three?

#18 Posted by Pie (7098 posts) -
@Seppli: Maybe it means the destruction will actually be good now rather than just "wall here now. Grenade. Smoke. No wall now" 
Only joking
#19 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Nooooo! 
 The art makes it look a lot like they're fusing BC3 and BF3 (even though I remember someone stating BF3 having the chinese in it).
#20 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Seppli said:
"

but...     ...WE ALREADY CAN! "
I mean like red faction style...
#21 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I don't like a single thing about that cover. From the artwork to the text, it is disappointing.

#22 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

lawl... they are going to console-fy it.

#23 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
man this is exactly what i fucking thought when i heard this... 
my enthusiasm for this project has went down the fucking tubes
#24 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Wow.. why are they using the same dude from the cover of Bad Company 2?

Also, this is the third time DICE has tried to "take down" Call of Duty.

First with BC2, then with MOH, and now with BF3.

Oh well, let's hope they just announce 64+ players on the PC.

#25 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

That picture on the cover of the solider walking toward the camera looks familiar... 

#26 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5424 posts) -

I CONQUERED...

#27 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@Binman88 said:
" I really hope they get away from the over-bright bloomy look of everything in BC2, and cut back to a clear, crisp look that doesn't make playing the game such a damn chore for my eyes. I'm sure it was fine for some people and there will be different opinions/points of view on this, but I much prefer when map lighting doesn't severely interfere with the gameplay, and when the game is more about skill and tactical awareness, rather than knowing which shadows to hide in. "
Compare to the dark, brown, black and gritty shooters we get in every other game, I'd rather have the bloom.
#28 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Gabriel:  It sure does.

#29 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Andorski said:

" lawl... they are going to console-fy it. "

Not getting how you guys manage to read so much into one sentence one of gameinformer's editors wrote. All he says is, that DICE is about to kick CoD's ass. That they're about to make the CoD franchise look old and dated. Once again revolutionize online multiplayer FPS games, as they did with BF 1942, respectively BF2.

Making the better game. Certainly not following CoDs blueprint. Battlefield 3 is their marquis title. It's DICE's identity. It's not gonna be BF:CoD. It's gonna be BF3 and it's gonna kick major ass. The CoDs and the likes better watch out, the king is about to ride back into town.
#30 Edited by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" omg  edit: actually, poster boy looks so much like BC2's ... this isnt good news :( "

It looks like meaty soldier man, I have no issues with that. Also, he has a red dot sight, everyone likes red dot sights.  

@Three0neFive said:
" @Underachiever007 said:
" @KaosAngel said:
I'm hoping that's just marketing hype or something. "
It fucking better be. "
You realize EA never got their COD killer and Bad Company 2 didn't turn enough people. Wouldn't it be nice if such a well known title as Battlefield was pushed to be best on consoles to beat back COD's market. 
#31 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

DICE is gonna release a teaser trailer tomorrow. Don't expect much gameplay, if any - but it definitely will reveal the tone of the game.

This type of teaser trailer is expected to hit the interwebs tomorrow.
#32 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" How many times has Dice set its sights on Call of Duty now?  Three? "
Once, Medal of Honour's latest outing. DICE has otherwise always aimed at their own audience.
#33 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

I don't know why they need to take on Call of Duty when they happen to make better games in the first place. 

I'm ready for some gameplay footage.  Screenshots can suck my fucking ass!  GIVE ME GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE AND DETAILS!!! 

Goddamn, I'm so fucking ready for this.

#34 Posted by AuthenticM (3724 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
at least they're admitting it. :)
#35 Posted by Nurve (123 posts) -

Please please please play like battlefield and not bad company (not that it was bad)

#36 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" I don't like a single thing about that cover. From the artwork to the text, it is disappointing. "
Yea dude, I can already tell exactly how the game plays from the cover. Fuckin' blows man.
#37 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

Oooo borrow animation system from EA sports division? That is outstanding news, some of the best part of EA sports games are the animations, they are soooo damn good looking.  

I cannot wait.

#38 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" I don't know why they need to take on Call of Duty when they happen to make better games in the first place. "
Because money.
#39 Edited by Evilmetal (468 posts) -

looking at the BC2 box art guy ... I always thought (and think) that the area with the high intensity orange/red represented an explosion (like an IED) that in the next millisecond would rip the cover art guy to shreds.

#40 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" @Seppli said:
"

Well than maybe we can blow up the sky?
#41 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...I just realized that BF2 at the time was gearing for "next-gen" 360 and PS3.  At the time it was the best looking game ever.  BF3 won't have that same pull due to it being made for the current gen.  -_-

#42 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

I thought that was bad company 3 for a second, i mean that guy on fire. It cant be that because bad company tries to set its sights on COD. BF3 well hopefully be completely diffrent...oh wait...

#43 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" @Seppli said:
" @Seppli said:
"

Well than maybe we can blow up the sky? "
I feel like that could end poorly for all involved.
#44 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" omg  edit: actually, poster boy looks so much like BC2's ... this isnt good news :( "
You need to chill out man. I can tell you right now that BF3 will not live up to your stupidly high expectations. Dial it back a bit and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.
#45 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@withateethuh said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" I don't like a single thing about that cover. From the artwork to the text, it is disappointing. "
Yea dude, I can already tell exactly how the game plays from the cover. Fuckin' blows man. "
Cool, then we completely disagree and I can write you off as a silly person who makes ridiculous leaps in logic.
#46 Posted by SomeJerk (3245 posts) -

Battlefield 2 Box Art

Yeah look at that, looks just like BC2s cover, it's going to be a crap 1% vehicle 99% infantry game am i rite
#47 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@somejerk: at least there are helicopters in the background of the BF2 cover.
#48 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

"...revolutionized online multiplayer for PC games is back."

Don't they mean multiplayer games in general, until they got devolved by CoD?

#49 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @Binman88 said:
Compare to the dark, brown, black and gritty shooters we get in every other game, I'd rather have the bloom. "
I don't think it's such a "one or the other" design choice though; I think there's a middle ground.
#50 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -

A military first person shooter!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.