Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Do you think BFBC2 will be the COD4 of the Battlefield franchise?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By FireBurger
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FireBurger

Meaning, do you think this is the Battlefield game that could make the franchise truly mainstream, and bring in some of the people who only play Madden, Halo, and Modern Warfare? 

I feel like it potentially could be. The franchise has managed to gain a decent foothold on consoles between the original Bad Company and 1943, so I think it has a decent following already and has its name out there. Also, with the success of both COD4 and Modern Warfare 2, people will be looking for their next modern day combat fix.

I think that these things combined with what seems to be the high quality of Bad Company 2 could make it the real breakout game for Battlefield. I’m not saying that Battlefield is a small franchise or hasn’t had success, but it’s certainly not a universally recognized or household name with the casual crowd like Call of Duty or Halo.

So, what do you think?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i think it would be the MW2 of the franchise..  isnt BF2 the cod4 of the battlefield series? 

anyway, i voted yes

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

Unless they fix the MP they will just be another FPS MP. It looks great but there are a lot of problems and issues to fix. 

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FireBurger
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I mean in terms of making the franchise truly mainstream. Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 were successful games, but Call of Duty 4 made it mainstream and put it on the level of Halo in terms of making it universally recognizable to casual gamers as well as hardcore.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @FireBurger said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic: I mean in terms of making the franchise truly mainstream. Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 were successful games, but Call of Duty 4 made it mainstream and put it on the level of Halo in terms of making it universally recognizable to casual gamers as well as hardcore. "
    yes, didnt bf2 do that ?
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By cap123

it looks great, i think i'll pick it up despite hating the demo for the first.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FireBurger
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I don't think so at all. There are still plenty of people who if you mention the Battlefield franchise they won't know what you're talking about, or may have only heard the name before. Everyone knows what Call of Duty or Halo are. In September, if you asked someone when the next COD was coming out they could probably easily say November. Ask them about BFBC2, and they would probably have no idea or not know what you're talking about.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas

dunno about that...but all I know is I'm enjoying this one map beta of it a hell of a lot more than MW2.  I've been switching back and forth and every time I play MW2 all that is in my mind is how I'd rather be playing BC2.

(this is coming from someone that has played all the major releases of CoD and Battlefield)

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By demonbear

Possibly, but there's one fact i can tell for sure : 

I care much more about Bad Company 2 than any call of duty game ever.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RankRabbit

That's how they advertise it to you. I don't plan on getting it though.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I was initially hyped, but after playing the beta, something feels off. I can't put my finger on it.  

Maybe my expectations were too high.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @FireBurger: i see.. well i hope it'll be the cod4 of the franchise because battlefield is fucking epic. looking forward to it
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Seppli

No Caption Provided

Well - as with every Battlefield game, it takes some dedication to master every kit, gadget, vehicle and map. The return of more realism to the series, like recoil, low health/high bullet-dmg, spotting system etc. makes it quite a beast to tame. It only took me a couple of matches to catch on to the changes and I'm back on top again. The better you get, the more fun it is. I usually have a K/D of about 4 kills on 1 death and that's where I am at again.

The other  big factor for having an enjoyable Battlefield experience is the quality of your squad, your team and most importantly - of your enemy. I leave a server immediatly at the end of a round, when the players aren't good. Saves me a lot of anger and I usually end up on a server with a bunch of jolly Battlefield veterans, who know how to set a room on fire. Best way to ensure that, is to get added on good clans friends lists.

About 30% of the rounds I played thus far in the PS3 beta did feel and play exactly as the most recent official BF:BC 2 trailer. Maptier 2 of Arica Harbour is amazing. Tanks rolling in. Snipers spotting enemies. Engineers repairing tanks or firing RPGs at them. Medics reviving and healing. Assault guys blasting out walls with the GL and dropping ammo crates. Buildings collapsing onto crates. Fucking sweet.

Gameplay wise it feels like a mix between BF2 (PC) and the first BF:BC. What could a Battlefield fan want more? Anyways - back on topic. It all depends on how many adapt to the Battlefield style of gameplay. I sure did and it was best decision I ever made. Best online multiplayer experience hands-down. Every fucking time. Hey - BF:BC 1 was  good enough to get me of WoWs high-end raiding treadmill. That's quite a feat for a twitch style game. So yeah - it might catch on like a wildfire. I hope so - DICE deserves 'GREAT SUCCESS'!

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I certainly think it will put it on the map more so than BC 1 did. I'm stoked for the sequel, I love Bad Company. 

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By beargirl1

I think BF2 did that, but this could also be some sort of COD4 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

BF2 could have done that, had they not made those crappy ass console ports.  EA wasnt trying very hard there.  BF2 was the pinnacle of the franchise.  I dont like Bad Company and wish they would move away from it but wont because it sells, i guess?  But I am sure I would be amped up about Battlefield 3 if it brought 64 players to consoles with planes, and maybe gave you swimming gear?

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Warfare

BFBC2 feels slow and floaty. IMO    

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Rhaknar

i think EA would like it to be, but no

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ineedaname

I thought it was mainstream?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Jimbo

No chance.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By DukeTogo

Both series complement each other quite well, and offer things the other does not, making it feel like a symbiotic relationship.  I play MW for fast and furious arcadey action, and BF for a more realistic game that favors strategy over twitch skills.  Fact is, blowing up the fucking house a team is using to hide in never gets old, and something you still can't do in MW2.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

I have no idea what this thread actually means. What is "the Cod4?" What do you mean exactly by that? Until that is clear, I have no idea what this is asking.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Diamond
    @pause422 said:
    I have no idea what this thread actually means. What is "the Cod4?" What do you mean exactly by that? Until that is clear, I have no idea what this is asking.
    The OP wants to know if BFBC2 will sell over 10 million copies.  The answer is no.
    Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eidderf

I think Battlefield 1943 was doing a better job in making BF a more mainstream franchise on consoles, focusing on multiplayer which is BF main strength and making it available though download, unfortunately that game seems to have been abandoned by it's creator despite it doing so well initially.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

BF2 really really tried to go mainstream but the stubborn nature of the fanbase shunned the next game en-mass for no good reason, thereby killing any momentum it had. These are the same idiots that played BF2 for 5 years then stopped abruptly when DICE fixed prone spamming. Good riddance.

I don't see BC2 following that path because it is also on consoles, and those people aren't exactly the most stubborn and set in their ways. In fact most would jump ship for the next popular game even if it wasn't all that great. BC2 might be that breakthrough title for the BF series, but I kinda want it to stay in second place for a while. Once BF blows up like Halo2/COD4 the developers will lose sight like they all do. 

By 'the cod4" he means mass bandwagon game that has everything to do with popularity and nothing to do with quality. Remember Halo2? It was the COD4 for the majority of last generation.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By adziboy

Your all forgetting... 

BATTLEFIELD 3. That's going to be the COD4 of the Battlefield series. It's going to be kick-ass.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Adziboy: That can't happen if it's a PC only game. The COD4 factor and Halo factor are the products of console gaming and that is a big part of it.
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By adziboy
    @MrKlorox said:

" @Adziboy: That can't happen if it's a PC only game. The COD4 factor and Halo factor are the products of console gaming and that is a big part of it. "

Can you link where they say it's only for PC? I swear I read that it was on consoles too. Maybe I misread and it was BF2.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Zereta

It'll be the everything of FPSs. I can even, call me crazy, see it being as influential as Halo and currently COD4. 

Halo introduced Proper Shooters to Consoles. Everyone took that. 
    COD4 introduced Progression and Persistence to shooters. Everyone's taking that. 
    Bad Company 2 will introduce large scale, intense and authentic War-like experiences to shooters. Everyone WILL take that.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryno9881

The success of modern warfare was influenced by the battlefield series.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By belaraphon

i played the first bad company mostly for the single player. i dabbled into the multiplayer, liked it,  but i found i was drawn more towards modern warfare. from the looks of it it will be quite awesome!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Diamond
    @Zereta said:
    Bad Company 2 will introduce large scale, intense and authentic War-like experiences to shooters.
    No it won't.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Adziboy: Too busy to look around right now for confirmation, but the BC series is the console series and the regular BF series (1942, 2, 2142) are PC only games. I'm pretty certain they're making BF3 as a PC only game without all the compromises they have to put into console games. Also to shut the PC fundamentalists up.

@Zereta said:

" COD4 introduced Progression and Persistence to shooters. Everyone's taking that. Bad Company 2 will introduce large scale, intense and authentic War-like experiences to shooters. Everyone WILL take that. "

No, Battlefield introduced progression and persistence to shooters (actually it was probably around even before then). COD4 put it on consoles for the mass lowest common denominator market. That is all.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I thought it was mainstream? "
    Me too. It's a fairly popular franchise, a lot of people still play BF1942.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrKlorox

Well Halo and COD are bandwagon series. That's a few notches up from simply 'mainstream'. Yes BF is a mainstream series, but it doesn't have the sales numbers of the games that people buy just because their friends all migrate from one game to another and they don't wanna be left behind. I come across more of that online than I come across people playing games because they have fun with them, no matter how not "in" they are.

Niche, Mainstream, Bandwagon. In that order, those are the three primary tiers of popularity.

No, I don't think BC2 will become the game in the series that turns the franchise into a bandwagon series.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FireBurger
    @pause422: Read the first post...
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jeffsekai

To me BF:BC is better than Call of Duty. All EA has to do is market right and it will get there.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By nick69
    @Zereta said:
    " It'll be the everything of FPSs. I can even, call me crazy, see it being as influential as Halo and currently COD4.  Halo introduced Proper Shooters to Consoles. Everyone took that. COD4 introduced Progression and Persistence to shooters. Everyone's taking that. Bad Company 2 will introduce large scale, intense and authentic War-like experiences to shooters. Everyone WILL take that. "
    Battlefield 2 introduced large scale, intense and authentic war-like experiences. And ArmA 2 did large scale warfare, and that didn't do very succesfully.

But I do have high hopes for BFBC2, as all the videos I have seen make it seem like a quality game. Time will tell, but I really want them to make Battlefield 3 now.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RsistncE

Hmmm, I should probably go DL this since I have a beta key sitting in notepad on my desktop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.