Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Holy shit, this is difficult.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

Is anyone else finding the level of difficulty defending the little sisters to be fucking absurd? Spawn with 25% health and EVE and nearly no ammo and defend yourself against quick moving hordes that can kill you in one or two hits, but take four or five hits with the drill to be downed. I'm afraid I might have to be a pussy and go for the "medium" difficulty setting.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By jimbo_n

You just answered your own question. Don't go Hardmode and expect a cakewalk. That being said the difficulty of the game overall is way higher than the first game. Less money/ammo and waaaay more enemies who seems to take alot more punishment.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

like the first game, headshots are golden. Harder to achieve though, i'd give my left nut for a crossbow in that game.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Branthog

I don't expect a cakewalk, but the jump in difficulty between the two seems to be serious overkill. In fact, now that I've dropped it down to medium, it's not exactly a cakewalk, either - but at least it feels like the situations are achievable with a little strategy and patience. It'll be interesting to see what strategies people come up with for dealing with the swarms in Hard mode -- especially since the resources afforded you are much less.

On the other hand - at least they didn't aim for the "make it dead simple so everyone can see the end, even if they can't tie their shoes" alternative that games all too often do these days.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Baillie

I'm finding it relatively okay on Hard. It's harder than the first, but Bioshock was pretty easy, I thought. Just gotta get into cover, set good traps, headshots, try not to waste ammo, etc.

ryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryuken

I'm glad you were one hard mode cause I was about to make fun of you a bit, I'm having no trouble at all on medium, I took out the first big daddy and big sister on my first try..... I'm going to go for hard the next go around though. great game, so far the only thing I haven't totallygotten used to is hacking, damn those safes! I got them all but damn

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

Y'know I kinda miss when games didn't have a difficulty choice, now it's so goddamn temping to pick the easy mode. Most of the time you even get the same achievements. 

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Th3_James

I hack every single thing in the game, and pick up every god damn item, because this time around I actually needed to get the most ammo i can. I like how easy it is to hack everything. I only fucked up once out of 100+ things hacked, the first game..... i fucked up alot

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Andheez
    @XII_Sniper: Demon's Souls!!!!!  No difficulty setting...or instructions....or an idea of what you are supposed to do.......and its awesome!
    AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AndrooD2

I'm playing on Hard as well. I've only played the opening couple levels, so I've only had to defend two little sisters and I thought those sequences were challenging, but not ridiculous. I did use up nearly all of my resources though. Set a lot of rivet traps, hacked everything around me so I had some help from bots/turrets and used conveniently placed explosive things to do some damage. Defeating the Big Daddy and Big Sister wasn't too bad either. What has been a kick in the balls though are the random encounters with bullet-sponge splicers (much like they were in the original). I haven't figured out exactly why some splicers go down in a couple shots from the rivet gun and others take five to six...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Andheez said:
    " @XII_Sniper: Demon's Souls!!!!!  No difficulty setting...or instructions....or an idea of what you are supposed to do.......and its awesome! "

And all the effort wasted because it won't contribute to my gamerscore. Wow sounded like an asshole there hahaha. That's not where my problem with that lies, it's more the general lack of direction and focus I feel like the game has. I don't mind a hard game, but making it artificially harder by making it confusing is totally not the way to present it. 

I'm actually kinda glad to hear this BIoshock game is a bit harder than the first, that one was a little too easy. Fun, but easy. I'm just hesitant to buy this because of how awkwardly fit the story seems to be. The first one was conclusive enough.
    Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Von

The respawning in this game is a bit off the charts though. I can go into a room, clear it out from splicers, go into an adjacent room and open a box and when I go back to the first room again there's 3 or 4 new splicers there, again... all in the timeframe of a minute.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jmrwacko

lol @ people who give a crap about gamerscore. It's a singleplayer game, play it at the difficulty level you'll have the most fun with. Usually, that means normal mode first time through, unless you enjoy dying repeatedly.

Also, what I've noticed in 8 years of gaming is that if you play a game the first time through on the hardest difficulty and beat it, there's no incentive to come back a second time around. Whereas if you beat the game on normal mode, you then get to go through it again on a higher difficulty, and it's more of a logical progression of difficulty (hard mode startgame usually feels like normal mode endgame)

wermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wermax
    @ryuken: I actually preffer this hacking to the hacking in Bioshock

Anyways Bioshock 2 is harder than the first one but also bit more fun with the adam hungry hordes...
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Question: Is the aiming reticle the same as the first, where it's just like a big circle? I really hated that circle.

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#16  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

Considering how easy the first was I went for hard straight away. It's been fairly easygoing so far and I'm right near the end. Ammo can be a problem, but health and EVE has been in plentiful supply for the most part. I will say the Little Sister stuff is harder than most, but I just make sure I have enough ammo and health before I begin, if not I'l go and collect some and then come back to it. I think it can also depend on where the body is, since some are a lot easier to defend than others in regard to laying down traps. There's usually quite a lot of bodies in each area so it's probably best to find one in a good area.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, this is why I always play on Normal/ Medium/Default, because I just know at some point I'll hit a brick wall and not be able to progress on hard. Hard is for second playthroughs, yo.

Besides, in most games nowadays, 'Hard' just means "You take more damage" which I don't really consider to be much of an extra challenge. It just makes the game more frustrating.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By noextralife
    @xyzygy said:
    " Question: Is the aiming reticle the same as the first, where it's just like a big circle? I really hated that circle. "
    Yes. 

On defending the little sisters, on normal I found once I got access to the mini turrets for the hacking device it made them (so far) very trivial, those little mini turrets can bring down even a brute splicer in little time if you keep them stunned with electro bolt.
    Avatar image for electricboogaloo
    ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#19  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

Spoilers for those upto the Fontaine Industries part:

heremy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By heremy8
    @NoExtraLife said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " Question: Is the aiming reticle the same as the first, where it's just like a big circle? I really hated that circle. "
    Yes.  On defending the little sisters, on normal I found once I got access to the mini turrets for the hacking device it made them (so far) very trivial, those little mini turrets can bring down even a brute splicer in little time if you keep them stunned with electro bolt. "

Ya I love putting down  2-3 mini turrets with about 12 trap rivets surrounding the little sister and then pulling out my gatling gun with anti-personnel rounds. When they say hard they freaking mean hard! After every one of those fights I'm pretty much left limping out of there.
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By septim
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Y'know I kinda miss when games didn't have a difficulty choice, now it's so goddamn temping to pick the easy mode. Most of the time you even get the same achievements.  "
    Play on whatever difficulty you feel like. If someone legitimately derives their sense of shame or pride from video game accomplishments than they probably have bigger issues in life other than which level to play Bioshock on.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ
    @septim: Yeah, it's not a big deal with games like Bioshock, but I feel like I cheated my experience with Bionic Commando: Rearmed when I played on easy, I mean they add platforms where there were spike traps, and make the platforming really easy. Also they remove a section from the last level apparently. That stuff goes further than pride, it's just a different play experience fundamentally.
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gruff182

I'm doing fine on Hard I don't start any harvests until i'm prepared though, with ammo and what not.

I'm also on the PC though, so aiming is alot smoother.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho

Love it when people bitch about max difficulty being hard.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AndrooD2
    @septim said:

" Play on whatever difficulty you feel like. If someone legitimately derives their sense of shame or pride from video game accomplishments than they probably have bigger issues in life other than which level to play Bioshock on. "

I don't think there's anything wrong with patting yourself on the back for beating a difficult game. Beating a game should provide satisfaction. I'm not sure what you would consider a "legitimate" sense of pride, though. I think you can section-off a small corner of pride for gaming accomplishments without becoming completely delusional.  
    For me, I choose hard difficulties out of the desire to play a challenging game, and since a lot of shooters I've played over the past couple of years have taken the "hard is the new normal" approach, I usually choose hard just because I find it more enjoyable, then, if hard turns out to be too frustrating, I dial it back.
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By hakunin

Yeah, I found it very hard at first before I got used to the fact than you really have to prepare yourself by laying turrets and traps every time you put your sister down to harvest.

Liberal use of the drill dash also helps you from getting swarmed. God, I love that move!

EldrinStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EldrinStorm

Honestly, first thing I bought when I had the chance? Wind Trap. Then I upgraded it as soon as possible. Why? COMBO TRAPS. They have saved me a ton of grief in defending Little Sisters. They're oneshot, like the trap rivets and trap spears, but it's really REALLY nice to hear screams from out of sight as they hit the flame and electric traps simultaneously. Honestly though, I think I just kept getting lucky with my gathers, because half the time a lone Big Daddy walked by and took some flak from a Splicer I just dodged and decided he wanted to rip somebody a new one. It's fun when you don't have to fight your own battles - best part is, Big Daddy just walks away after he's done murderfying the Splicers as long as I keep my distance. Perfect.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By nohthink

I thought the game was easier than the first one

b_radt007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By b_radt007

This game was definitely more challenging than the first.  I rescued all the little sisters and harvested adam twice with each of them, on the hard difficulty.  It was definitely challenging.  I think one thing that really helped me out was getting head shots with the rivet gun, considering I had the gene tonic that makes head shots more deadly.  Just shock with electricity, and then you have time to aim for the headshot.  

The spear gun works great for this too!  Also, I recommend the decoy plasmid for those times when you're completely surrounded by 5 or more splicers.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By natetodamax
    @Branthog: I'm playing on Medium right now and the Splicers have killed me more than anything. Money and ammo are way to hard to come by, the Splicers take to many hits to down, and they deal out way to much damage. 
    ArrrCee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By ArrrCee
    @Kombat said:
    "Love it when people bitch about max difficulty being hard. "

This.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gargantuan

I regret not choosing hard in the beginning. I play hard now and so far it's been very nice, it's hard but not frustrating .(except when I forget to save)

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jackel2072

just finished the game and tried some multiplayer. kinda surprised how well it turned out (multiplayer) As for playing the game on hard i think il start that tomorrow. i also want the BIG BRASS BALLS achivement... maybe i should just get that one on easy and save my self the headache? Also if you really really want you could just save/harvest the little sisters with out taking them to get more adem. I dont know how well that work out for you but its a thought.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pie

But with the vito-chambers your basically invincible right? Its just a case of:hit some splicers with drill, die, respawn, hit some splicers with drill, die, respawn, hit some splicers with drill, die, respawn, hit some splicers with drill, die, respawn. 
    Right?!

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By h0lgr
    @Pie: Not if you want some kickass achievements.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pie
    @h0lgr said:
    " @Pie: Not if you want some kickass achievements. "
    Eh, i'll just go through on easy and save non stop if I want to get some Big Brass Balls
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GunnBjorn

I'll never choose for hard or insane mode. 
    Default difficulty usely provide plenty of challenge without me getting frustrated. 
    ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By ribeye

gonna have to agree with this whole thread, i'm only about an hour or two in at this point but wtf?   maybe my expectations are all out of whack here but seriously, you're a big daddy, the biggest, baddest enemy from the first game, you're supposed to be this great legendary thing but any cracked out splicer can hit you twice with a stick and kill you.  i don't feel like a big daddy at all, not empowered in any way.  i'm making it through but dude is seriously wimpy.  maybe it'll get better with upgrades, but it just doesn't seem right.  i'm wearing big tough armor with a helmet.  i'm huge.  i'm a total fucking pussy.  strategy so far is to have max health potions at all times.  WAY harder than the first one.  

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By izzygraze
    @ribeye said:
    " gonna have to agree with this whole thread, i'm only about an hour or two in at this point but wtf?   maybe my expectations are all out of whack here but seriously, you're a big daddy, the biggest, baddest enemy from the first game, you're supposed to be this great legendary thing but any cracked out splicer can hit you twice with a stick and kill you.  i don't feel like a big daddy at all, not empowered in any way.  i'm making it through but dude is seriously wimpy.  maybe it'll get better with upgrades, but it just doesn't seem right.  i'm wearing big tough armor with a helmet.  i'm huge.  i'm a total fucking pussy.  strategy so far is to have max health potions at all times.  WAY harder than the first one.   "
    Yeah, I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought this. I run into a fight expecting to be like one of the other big daddies but then instead die in a couple of hits, when the other big daddies will take several clips and keep coming at you. Weird how an armored badass will have the same health as the random joe-schmo from the first game.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kbm600
    @Branthog said:
    " Is anyone else finding the level of difficulty defending the little sisters to be fucking absurd? Spawn with 25% health and EVE and nearly no ammo and defend yourself against quick moving hordes that can kill you in one or two hits, but take four or five hits with the drill to be downed. I'm afraid I might have to be a pussy and go for the "medium" difficulty setting. "
    I didn't realize playing the game at the acceptable difficulty was being a "pussy".
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Branthog
    @Kbm600 said:
    " @Branthog said:
    " Is anyone else finding the level of difficulty defending the little sisters to be fucking absurd? Spawn with 25% health and EVE and nearly no ammo and defend yourself against quick moving hordes that can kill you in one or two hits, but take four or five hits with the drill to be downed. I'm afraid I might have to be a pussy and go for the "medium" difficulty setting. "
    I didn't realize playing the game at the acceptable difficulty was being a "pussy". "
    Almost every game these days is shipped with the default difficulty level tuned very low. "Normal" in 2010 isn't the same as "normal" ten or fifteen years ago. I think most non-casual gamers tend to jump right in for at least one notch above the default setting in a game, because we've all been trained to expect the default to be slightly harder than picking your own nose and the level just below the default to be "had an infant the controls and still win".

That's certainly how I recall the first Bioshock being. Bioshock 2 definitely feels like it was ramped up.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Branthog
    @Pie said:
    " But with the vito-chambers your basically invincible right? Its just a case of:hit some splicers with drill, die, respawn, hit some splicers with drill, die, respawn, hit some splicers with drill, die, respawn, hit some splicers with drill, die, respawn. Right?! "
    The problem isn't with the save-points (which are littered absolutely everywhere). It's that you can quickly go from having a plentiful supply of ammo, health, and cash to being completely broke and stuck. The very first time I had to protect a little sister while she harvested Adam, I died. I knew I'd have to use my brain to set up defenses, but I didn't know I would be instantly swarmed by one-punch-wonders from every direction at such speeds. It really felt like a moment out of Left 4 Dead 2. I had the place rigged with a ton of traps, had my best ammo out, took a good vantage spot... and didn't have a prayer.

I found myself resurrected in a vita-chamber with three splicers right outside the door. They killed me two more times, because they smashed the fuck out of me the instant the vita-chamber released me, but before I could pull my weapons on them. When I eventually had a second to melee and fire on them, I used up a small chunk of my ammo to do so. Had to hit the vending machines. Fill up on more expensive health. Then I had to rid the area where the little sister was harvesting of the remaining splicers before I could reset and go again. By the time I did, I had almost no ammo at all. Spent the last bit of my money on more ammo.

So then it became a repeating three-ring-circus of me having no money, health, or ammo and being butchered in a heartbeat. Spawning back at a vita-chamber (and on Hard you only get 25% of your health when spawning), fighting my way back to the spot. Hoping not to die. only to have no health, ammo, etc to battle with.

After playing on normal for awhile, I think I could start the game over and pull it off without much difficulty on Hard -- but if the first one is that hard, I can't imagine what it'll be like a few hours past that.

I'm glad to see a developer embrace some more difficult and not making the default level "glue-sniffer-easy" being cheap about falsely ratcheting up the difficulty, either. That's what I liked about Demon's Souls. But god damn, I really started to wonder if it was or that hard or if I was just a complete moron and everyone else was breezing right through it all on the harder difficulties. :)
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By guiseppe

I chose to play through it the first time on Hard. I didn't find it too difficult as long as you strategize your fights before gathering ADAM. The hardest part for me was the Big Sisters, and they aren't too bad if you know how to deal with them. Although you take quite a beating from them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just turned it down to easy. One shot takes off 90 percent off your health? THE CHARACTER IS A BIG DADDY FOR CHRISSAKES! I'm not saying it should be a frigging cakewalk but make it a fair fight.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShadowSkill11
    @Branthog said:
    So let me get this straight. You are playing the game on HARD and you are complaining the game is hard? Dur, de, dur, dur...
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @jadeskye said:
    " like the first game, headshots are golden. Harder to achieve though, i'd give my left nut for a crossbow in that game. "
    Apparently you don't value your nuts that much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.