Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Should I get this game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d59d1a719efd
    deactivated-5d59d1a719efd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

First off, I loved the first BioShock, it was a great game experience, very cinematic, fun gameplay, and a awesome story.  
    And I always like it as a stand alone game.
    To me there's no reason for a sequel, unless it has a good story.

Which brings me to BioShock2, it seems like a cash in, plus it was made by a different developer.
    There's no reason for a sequel, unless it has a good story.
     So is there any reason why I should  bother with this game?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shadow
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

A lot of people hated for a number of reasons but for those who played, they said it was a solid game, gameplay wise. The story itself however, feels more like a footnote in the history of Rapture so don't expect much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shadow: Yeah I heard the gameplay is better,but I still don't really won't to go back to killing splicers just for shits and giggles.

@eroticfishcake: Yeah I just don't won't to play it for the gameplay alone,I really like the first ones story so I think I'd prefer not to ruin a good thing.

Is there any kind of replay value in it ?
    Besides multiplayer of course.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @MonkeyMelon: I guess I should've pointed out that I never played it myself though I've read a good number of reviews on it. Anyway, Bioshock 2 feels more like an expansion pack then a whole new game. It's still got the same great atmosphere with improved combat mechanics. As I said before the story is really more of footnote. It'll explain a few things that weren't covered in the first game as well as having a story of it's own to stand upon. It's interesting enough but don't expect the same depth that Bioshock had. As for replay value it's pretty much the same as the first one. You'll play it once or twice and then perhaps pick it up again a year or so later. I heard the multiplayer was pretty good though how much people still play it now I've no idea.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

I liked the multiplayer, it was fun for a bit but the crashes at the time drove me away from it. They have probably fixed that now though. 

As for the single player I really, really, really  liked it. If the first game had not have existed Bioshock 2 would get so much more love. The way it plays, the score and the atmosphere are absolutely brilliant and while the story is not as memorable or clever as the first one this game has strong writing and gives a better sense of how rapture was as a place. If you liked the first game and are willing to look past it not really needing a sequel you will probably find it a ton of fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eroticfishcake: Ok thanks,I think I'll just skip BioShock2,I really liked the first one and don't want to see an ok or bad story come out of the second one.

The combat looked cool,but just not enough if it has a crappy story.
    Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Choi

I've started playing Bioshock 2 just the other day, because I've finished Singularity and fell in love with those storytelling- atmospheric FPS all over again.  As Jeff pointed out in the review, the star of the series is Rapture. If you like the sole atmosphere of Bioshock and Rapture you should go for it. If the story is such a big hook, then probably not, I would recommend Singularity then if you want a new original tale. 

P.S. As far as I can tell by now (I'm a couple of hours in the sequel) the gameplay and controls are much much better then the first one.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Baillie

I really enjoyed the game. The story was pretty good considering what it had to work with. Gameplay wise, I loved it. Great game. Get it. 

GET IT.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Bioshock 2 is a great game that shouldnt have been made, but I think you can get it for a good price now so go for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah,I'll probably get it eventually,I need to get some money to spare though.

It sounds like a good game,It's just I think it'll be hard for it live up to the first ones original feeling,of the creepiness of rapture.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By natetodamax

It's a useless game that isn't as good as the first, but it's not terrible. I would probably rent it thogh.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arbie

I kind of turned away from this game after hearing it wasn't worth it "because it just sucks", why did I listen? After reading peoples opinions on here I think it is something I would enjoy. I loved Bioshock. I found Rapture incredible and had a great time exploring it as well as following the storyline. I don't really care if Bioshock needs a sequel or not, fact is it has one and fortunately it looks like something I'd like to play!

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#14  Edited By Lazyaza

BioShock 2 is a great game, it just isn't the 'holy shit!' masterpiece the first one was.

Anyone who says its a bad game hasn't played it and thus has no right to voice an opinion of it.  The gameplay is solid (actually better than the original for the most part), the story is good, the new characters are interesting and theirs a nice twist at the end not to mention multiple endings depending on your actions. 
    I'm on my second playthough right now, bought it during the recent steam sale and I don't think I would have minded buying it at full price had I known it was as good as it is.

So ignore the cynics who love to hate things because hating things is cool, its a great game, not in the same'league as the original but well worth buying and playing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this has been really helpful,I thought it looked like a good game but I just didn't want a sequel that wasn't needed.
    It seems like it has some cool combat,but I've heard that it was lacking in story,but now I'm hearing it has a good story,or a descent enough one worth a play through.
    I just loved the feel of the first rapture,so I didn't want to tarnish my opinion on the first game.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By c1337us

I think so.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake

Frankly, they didn't do anything wrong with the game, it just wasn't as good as the first. So buying a cheap copy, renting or borrowing off a friend seems like the best thing to do.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marcsman

Good game. Starts off slow but it is great in the end. Not a bad story, but the original Bioshock is a masterpiece .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah they just made the first one too awesome.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Marcsman

Yep also I felt that in the beginning you did not feel like a true Big Daddy. Splicers could kick your butt in the beginning. Halfway through the game you truly feel like a powerful Big Daddy.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

I preferred the second game, the story is a bit slow to start but still great. The opening of the original BioShock is much better but on the whole this game meshes together just as good, the audio logs are top quality and the game feels very solid. More fun to play than the first as well due to the improved combat, the new weapons are quite fun too.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By demontium
    @MonkeyMelon: If you got Bioshock I highly recommend it.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Undeadpool

I actually just finished it. It's really a completely different experience. I felt like 2 was a lot more creepy than 1, but 1 was much more awe-inspiring. You get to learn a lot about the backstory of Rapture and the morality is a little more in-depth than simply harvesting or saving the Little Sisters. It's not a bad game, but it's not the same revolution that the first game was. That said, you can probably find it for REAL cheap nowadays and it's definitely worth that price.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BulletproofMonk

It has a good enough story to keep you playing and the gameplay is improved. So yeah, you should buy it.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I felt like it showed how Andrew Ryan lost his grip on Rapture better than the first game which too broadly painted him as a megalomanic. 

The gameplay is better and the multiplayer fun.

Malio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Malio

If you liked Bioshock 1, you will like enjoy Bioshock 2.   It's more of the same, just as fun. 

derenf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By derenf

I'm probably alone on this but I actually like the story in the second one more. Like Brad mentioned a couple weeks ago on the bombcast the story of the first one borrowed a lot of the same plot points and twists from System Shock 2, so as great as it was it still felt kind of familiar to me.  Also if you played the first Bioshock  and really dug the kind of horror vibe it had going, its not as heavy on that in the sequal. So that's something to consider. Though there are some good crepy moments that come to mind now. 

Again I'm probably one of few on this, but I really enjoyed the multiplayer in the second one. The over the top characters with their own unique barks and the mix of crazy powers combined with the frantic gameplay you get from most multiplayer shooters made it unexpectedly hilarious at times. I had some great moments that really reminded me of something out of Team Fortress 2 not in gameplay, but just the kind of wackiness of it. Once I had some insane run and was just non stop killing dudes for like five minutes, just sensory overload, and then it was just complete silence for a second and my character made some ridiculous comment that hilariously capped off all the insanity.

Anyways yeah I think its definately worth picking up. I was skeptical at first too, but the more I thought about it Rapture was definately a place I was interested in going back to and they did enough with it to make it more then worthwhile. I might be over selling it but i think it got a lot of undeserved negativity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.