Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

Why are Vita Chambers all over Rapture if they're still in trials

grahammcgrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By grahammcgrew

The Wikia page on Vita Chambers states that splicers can't use them because they are still in testing, and, as per Suchong's audiodiary, are only keyed to Andrew Ryan's genetic frequency. But surely a product still in testing would not be distributed throughout Rapture. Only once testing was complete, the Vita Chambers were no longer keyed specifically to Ryan's genetic frequency, and had advanced into production, would they be placed in every part of the city. Or am I missing something?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @grahammcgrew said:

The Wikia page on Vita Chambers states that splicers can't use them because they are still in testing, and, as per Suchong's audiodiary, are only keyed to Andrew Ryan's genetic frequency. But surely a product still in testing would not be distributed throughout Rapture. Only once testing was complete, the Vita Chambers were no longer keyed specifically to Ryan's genetic frequency, and had advanced into production, would they be placed in every part of the city. Or am I missing something?

Cause if I recall right your Ryans kids. Also the tubes where most likely turned on for the guy.  

As for being ALL over. I guess they where close enough to ending tests that they had installed them and where about to turn them on. 
    phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By phrali

cant have enemies respawning when you respawn, that would make the game challenging and require you to use more than the wrench

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

You're missing something.

You can handwave it by saying that Ryan is a rich motherfucker who built the whole place; if they're for him, then he probably had them built all over the place so that he could respawn come back wherever he wanted to.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Maybe none of the working-class scum could afford to use it?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@TheCreamFilling said:

Maybe none of the working-class scum could afford to use it?

Well said.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

The thing you're missing is that the Vita chambers were an incredibly awkward inclusion in that game no matter how you look at it, as on top of the fact that there's way too many of them everywhere, it's also unreasonable that they (and all the security doors in Rapture) would work for you just because you're Ryan's offspring. You're still not his exact clone or something, so it's absurd that all of the security doors and Vita chambers would somehow recognize you as Andrew Ryan.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeanFoster

Because video games.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaggE

Better yet, why would anybody make all of their machines hackable by a painfully simple puzzle? Why even install the option to entirely change the behavior of a security turret by running water through a tube? I mean, those tubes serve no other purpose, seeing as they come disassembled.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@grahammcgrew said:

Rapture's a different place, and there are different rules. I don't think in the context of the story, and more specifically, in the context of Rapture, to believe such a thing would happen is far-fetched. I think you're going to have to ask Andrew Ryan himself why he put them out before they were even ready to go. Just kidding, but seriously, it's not too hard to think about. Use your imagination.

@BisonHero: It works for anyone that had similar genetic code, again, it's not that hard to think about, and it's not ridiculous.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

Because people really want to play Persona 4 Golden.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

Also, they are always on for his genetic code, unless you mean to say Jack's isn't the same, *SPOILER* except for the end when he turns it off as he dies.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By The_Nubster

@BisonHero said:

The thing you're missing is that the Vita chambers were an incredibly awkward inclusion in that game no matter how you look at it, as on top of the fact that there's way too many of them everywhere, it's also unreasonable that they (and all the security doors in Rapture) would work for you just because you're Ryan's offspring. You're still not his exact clone or something, so it's absurd that all of the security doors and Vita chambers would somehow recognize you as Andrew Ryan.

You find an audio log early in the game that makes a passing comment at this and foreshadows the eventual reveal. Something along the lines of, "The genetic coding for these bathespheres and vita-chambers sure are easy to trick! Heck, even Andrew Ryan's cousin could get it to work!"

Not the strongest explanation, but they do address it.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShadyPingu

I really liked how Bioshock contextualized, or tried to, the silly contrivances that pretty much all games have to incorporate to make them work. It made stuff like the Vita-Chambers much easier to swallow.

It's all suspension of disbelief anyway, which is basically you saying, "yeah, I know this is silly, but not silly enough to make me disengage from this experience that I am already enjoying. I'll allow it."

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew

Story-based explanations for gameplay mechanics rarely stand up to scrutiny.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MiniPato

Cause Andrew Ryan was a crazy motherfucker and was probably paranoid as shit when people started to conspire against him. So Vita chambers everywhere!

Or because Irrational didn't want you respawning at the beginning of the level each time you died. Whichever explanation helps you sleep at night.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BisonHero

@The_Nubster said:

@BisonHero said:

You find an audio log early in the game that makes a passing comment at this and foreshadows the eventual reveal. Something along the lines of, "The genetic coding for these bathespheres and vita-chambers sure are easy to trick! Heck, even Andrew Ryan's cousin could get it to work!"

Not the strongest explanation, but they do address it.

I do recall that being said, but it still comes off as a pretty weak handwave of an explanation, given that the ability to scan someone's genetic code from several feet away is already ridiculously impossible for that era of technology. So to steal somebody else's post:

@LordAndrew said:

Story-based explanations for gameplay mechanics rarely stand up to scrutiny.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By stryker1121

@phrali said:

cant have enemies respawning when you respawn, that would make the game challenging and require you to use more than the wrench

you can turn them off you know. Makes both games much more fun.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BisonHero

@stryker1121 said:

@phrali said:

Yeah, I turned them off within about 30 minutes of playing BioShock 1. I started thinking "Wait, so enemies like Big Daddies keep their damage level, even though you respawn indefinitely, at zero resource cost? So I could just keep whittling down any enemy in the goddamn game with the shittiest weapon, and be rewarded for it?"

If anything, I don't see how you could enjoy that game with the Vita Chambers turned on.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By living4theday258

@BisonHero said:

Yeah, I turned them off within about 30 minutes of playing BioShock 1. I started thinking "Wait, so enemies like Big Daddies keep their damage level, even though you respawn indefinitely, at zero resource cost? So I could just keep whittling down any enemy in the goddamn game with the shittiest weapon, and be rewarded for it?"

If anything, I don't see how you could enjoy that game with the Vita Chambers turned on.

I died maybe 4 times in BioShock one on the next to last difficulty, and I dont think I died in BioShock 2. so I barely noticed vita chambers.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By toowalrus
    @SeanFoster said:
    Because video games.
    That's how I justified it in my head.  

@Video_Game_King said:

Because people really want to play Persona 4 Golden.

And on a completely unrelated note- have you started Persona 3 yet? I haven't been reading your blogs lately... I feel bad. 
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TooWalrus:

Nope. I have, however, finished Persona 2: Innocent Sin. I should get back to writing about it, and you should read it when I decide to post it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By toowalrus
    @Video_Game_King said:

@TooWalrus:

Nope. I have, however, finished Persona 2: Innocent Sin. I should get back to writing about it, and you should read it when I decide to post it.

I absolutely will! I bought & downloaded P3: FES on PSN today, I'll start playing it tonight. 

I watched the Endurance Run just like everyone else. Then, I watched the anime and actually loved it. I finished Arena the other day, and found myself just wanting more Persona (well, more of that universe, anyway). Can't wait.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Because you're in a coma, that's why you don't care when you take over someone elses car sending them into peril.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

Because a lot of players forget to save often so Irrational Games solved it by putting them in so players won't bitch too much. Then, as it often happens in video games, gamers starting bitching about how it cheapens the game so they added an option to turn them off.

Or in short...

@SeanFoster said:

Because video games.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

They are made by Google therefore they are always in beta.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By wrighteous86

@BisonHero said:

@stryker1121 said:

@phrali said:

Well, it's not really a "reward" if it takes you 4 hours and involves a lot of monotonous backtracking and dying over and over again. It's a fair trade between persistence and skill, I think.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By stryker1121

@Wrighteous86 said:

@BisonHero said:

@stryker1121 said:

@phrali said:

Well, it's not really a "reward" if it takes you 4 hours and involves a lot of monotonous backtracking and dying over and over again. It's a fair trade between persistence and skill, I think.

I didn't realize you could turn them off until my 2nd playthrough. I played the entirety of Bio2 w/ them off (on vet difficulty) and loved it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.