Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

Could we have had a hand in Greg's and Ray's departure?

• 87 results
    ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ExplodeMode

@BionicRadd said:

@ExplodeMode said:

Make 3 games in a row that deserve negative criticism. Blame the criticism.

The outrage displayed over the ending to ME3 could hardly be justified as criticism. It bordered on unstable fanaticism. People were disproportionately angry about a video game. DA2 was just met with a "man, what a bummer" from what I recall. The reaction people had to ME3 made me embarrassed to be known as a "gamer".

ME3 had more problems than its ending; The 'wave' encounter design. The handling of side quests and the quest log. The reaper scanning mini-game. The removal of being able to talk to anyone when you wanted to. Animation changes for the worse. The entire opening sequence being unpolished. I could probably think of more if it was fresh in my mind, but the game was deserving of criticism ending or not.

Some people took the ending rage too far, but I think most of the cacophony was just people who just wanted to talk about it or to make jokes and have fun. It was the only game to talk about for a while.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By mellotronrules

re: having a hand in the doctors' departure-

i think undoubtedly the backlash had a hand in their decision. the extent of the influence- that's impossible (and in my opinion unimportant) to know. but there's no doubt the amount of flak they had to deal with took it's toll. and it's not a matter of the games being good or bad- constructive criticism doesn't do damage. its the batshit crazy threats and indignant bile that wears a man down. i mean think about it- if you had a family, and received even just one death threat- you'd probably question whether or not this whole thing was worth it.

long story short- what goes around comes around, and if you're going to spew unmitigated negativity for a sustained period- that negativity is going to have an effect. and probably for the worse.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@laserbolts said:

Don't say we. I do not want to be lumped in with the idiots that went crazy over videogames. Didn't a guy try to sue them or something? What the fuck is that? People just need to chill out and not take such minor things as an ending to a videogame or a videogame being rushed so seriously. It's embarrassing.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Rowr

@mordukai said:

We could have been more polite about how we approached DA2 and the ending to ME3. I know looking back I kinda regrat some of the words I said about Bioware. Looking back on it; while I don't think DA2 was the game I wanted it to be I can understand why they did what they did, and while I still think the original ending for ME3 was massive mistake I did hoever made my peace with it and understand why it turned out like that. I still haven't gone back to do that Extended Endings and I hear it helped resolve some of the issues many players had with it, I don't think that it's going to ease the disappointment I had with it.

I guess what I am trying to say that this is my personal apology for my behavior at the time. I know there's no chance those guys would ever see this post but for what it's worth...I'm Sorry, and good luck in whatever you guys decided to do next.

They were shitty games and we spent hard earned money on them and they were horrible horrible dissapointments, lets not pretend otherwise because you think it's responsible for some other consequence which it probably has nothing to do with.

Fuck those games and your an idiot.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Rowr said:

@mordukai said:

We could have been more polite about how we approached DA2 and the ending to ME3. I know looking back I kinda regrat some of the words I said about Bioware. Looking back on it; while I don't think DA2 was the game I wanted it to be I can understand why they did what they did, and while I still think the original ending for ME3 was massive mistake I did hoever made my peace with it and understand why it turned out like that. I still haven't gone back to do that Extended Endings and I hear it helped resolve some of the issues many players had with it, I don't think that it's going to ease the disappointment I had with it.

I guess what I am trying to say that this is my personal apology for my behavior at the time. I know there's no chance those guys would ever see this post but for what it's worth...I'm Sorry, and good luck in whatever you guys decided to do next.

They were shitty games and we spent hard earned money on them and they were horrible horrible disappointments lets not pretend otherwise because you think it's responsible for some other consequence which it probably has nothing to do with.

I guess people aren't allowed to have differing opinions.

"I like ME3"

"Fuck off idiot!"

Who's the real idiot there.

The majority of people at least liked ME3, some people enjoyed Star Wars but were disappointed , and most people disliked DA2.

Yes they deserve criticism, it's how one get's better. No you paying $60 does not give you the right to make death threats, vote EA worst company over companies that forced people out of their homes, cyberbully the shit out of employees, call people idiots because they enjoyed something that you couldn't, etc. It just makes people look childish and frankly stupid.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Milkman

I'm suppose to apologize because Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were bad? No. Sorry but as much as I like the doctors, they both took part in the development of two poor products. Why those products were poor, whether it be pressure from EA or just general incompetence, isn't for me to decide. All I know is that they were sub-standard games, especially out of BioWare and especially considering that Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 are two of my favorite games of the last 10 years.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Th3_James

I didn't do shit. I just played their games and lived my own life. What happened was out of my hands and I don't really give a fuck. They are smart guys, they will be fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really don't think they quit based on their feeling being hurt but rather EA seeing the negative criticism on their most recent games like DA2, STOR(never played it but it was a major fail), and ME3( which I personally liked) and decided to lay the hatchet on them.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Milkman said:

I'm suppose to apologize because Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were bad? No. Sorry but as much as I like the doctors, they both took part in the development of two poor products. Why those products were poor, whether it be pressure from EA or just general incompetence, isn't for me to decide. All I know is that they were sub-standard games, especially out of BioWare and especially considering that Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 are two of my favorite games of the last 10 years.

I think the point was that people went to far in their reaction and that's what people should apologize for. You know those death-threats and cyber-bullying and a lawsuit that holds no water. Stupid shit like that. Do I think it's a major factor, I don't know but it could have effected them somewhat.

And if I remember correctly you hadn't played ME3 because you were boycotting it ever since you heard of the Collector's edition. Most people liked ME3. I like it more than the first one for instance. It's all a matter of opinion and you shouldn't apologize for it unless you take it to far like some have.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Milkman

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Milkman said:

I think the point was that people went to far in their reaction and that's what people should apologize for. You know those death-threats and cyber-bullying and a lawsuit that holds no water. Stupid shit like that. Do I think it's a major factor, I don't know but it could have effected them somewhat.

And if I remember correctly you hadn't played ME3 because you were boycotting it ever since you heard of the Collector's edition. Most people liked ME3. I like it more than the first one for instance. It's all a matter of opinion and you shouldn't apologize for it unless you take it to far like some have.

Well, just to be clear, I'm not condoning the death threats or anything stupid like that. And I was never boycotting Mass Effect 3 because of the Collector's Edition. Calling ME 3 a bad game is maybe a little harsh but I think if you hold it to Mass Effect standards, then yeah, it's pretty bad. I definitely won't apologize for Dragon Age 2 though because fuck that game.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Rowr

@mordukai said:

They were shitty games and we spent hard earned money on them and they were horrible horrible dissapointments, lets not pretend otherwise because you think it's responsible for some other consequence which it probably has nothing to do with.

Really? He's the idiot for thinking death threats are unreasonable? Man you have a fucked up thought process.
    BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By BionicRadd

@ExplodeMode said:

@BionicRadd said:

@ExplodeMode said:

Make 3 games in a row that deserve negative criticism. Blame the criticism.

The outrage displayed over the ending to ME3 could hardly be justified as criticism. It bordered on unstable fanaticism. People were disproportionately angry about a video game. DA2 was just met with a "man, what a bummer" from what I recall. The reaction people had to ME3 made me embarrassed to be known as a "gamer".

ME3 had more problems than its ending; The 'wave' encounter design. The handling of side quests and the quest log. The reaper scanning mini-game. The removal of being able to talk to anyone when you wanted to. Animation changes for the worse. The entire opening sequence being unpolished. I could probably think of more if it was fresh in my mind, but the game was deserving of criticism ending or not.

Some people took the ending rage too far, but I think most of the cacophony was just people who just wanted to talk about it or to make jokes and have fun. It was the only game to talk about for a while.

I get that the game had issues, but seriously, the level of rage on display was insane.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By hermes

Yes. I think we (in general) are partially to blame. I know, from personal experience, how frustrating it can be to be passionate about something and having people around that appreciate it or hate you for it.
    Of course, I am not surprised for all the comments about them having it coming. I guess being accountable for acting like jerks is not the prime characteristic of forum posts.

Senno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Senno

It wasn't me personally. Perhaps the fan feedback helped the suits further up the chain see that the blame had to fall on someone. Or perhaps it was the atmosphere of the studio after EAE's buyout that made them move on. Who knows? All I know is that Drew Karpyshyn left as well - and the corporate structure of the multiple studios (remember, it used to be just one), made them rethink how they were doing business.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@hermes said:

Yes. I think we (in general) are partially to blame. I know, from personal experience, how frustrating it can be to be passionate about something and having people around that appreciate it or hate you for it.

That's the thing, they were not passionate about those games as evidenced by the end result. Okay, maybe they were, but EA slapped it out of them.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Sooty

No I don't, but still, Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 were both pretty bad considering the games that came just before them. Let's not even mention the Tortanic.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It sounded like their problem was more with EA. Old Republic was considered a massive failure and cost a lot of money to produce, so that damaged their reputation within the company and it's unlikely investors would be willing to trust them with big projects like that again anytime soon. It sounded like they were just exhausted from the whole ordeal.

Of course, I'm sure the fan feedback from ME3 and DA2 didn't help, but all game developers should be accustomed to fanboys over reacting and naysaying about every little thing. In Bioware's case, they went from developing deep, involving RPG's, to essentially making watered down action RPG's, so the backlash was to be expected and at least somewhat justified. Even if you liked their later games, they weren't what the established fanbase had come to expect or want from them and the ending of ME3 was just inexcusable.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#68  Edited By project343

People assume video game companies are just giant faceless corporations run by robots. It's pretty impressive how insincere and outright immature the internet is.

@mordukai said:

Looking back on it; while I don't think DA2 was the game I wanted it to be I can understand why they did what they did

The majority of the issues with Dragon Age 2 were not Bioware's fault, but rather, EA-related. A large push for that game was to make it a) more accessible, and b) out within a really short development time. EA obviously had a hand in these objectives.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Mcfart

Someone had to be the fall guy for The Old Republic's financial failure.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mordukai

@project343 said:

People assume video game companies are just giant faceless corporations run by robots. It's pretty impressive how insincere and outright immature the internet is.

@mordukai said:

Looking back on it; while I don't think DA2 was the game I wanted it to be I can understand why they did what they did

The majority of the issues with Dragon Age 2 were not Bioware's fault, but rather, EA-related. A large push for that game was to make it a) more accessible, and b) out within a really short development time. EA obviously had a hand in these objectives.

I think the same can said about Mass Effect 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sooty said:

No I don't, but still, Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 were both pretty bad considering the games that came just before them. Let's not even mention the Tortanic.

Look on the bright side, at least Tortanic gave us Stanry Roo

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Milkman said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Milkman said:

Well, just to be clear, I'm not condoning the death threats or anything stupid like that. And I was never boycotting Mass Effect 3 because of the Collector's Edition. Calling ME 3 a bad game is maybe a little harsh but I think if you hold it to Mass Effect standards, then yeah, it's pretty bad. I definitely won't apologize for Dragon Age 2 though because fuck that game.

I wouldn't agree with that because I like three more than one and thought one was still pretty good.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Terramagi

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Milkman said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Milkman said:

I wouldn't agree with that because I like three more than one and thought one was still pretty good.

The only failing of ME1 was the planets you had to drive the Mako on.

Also the fact that they never told you the thing had a bigass fuckoff cannon.

People would've loved the Mako if every planet you drove that bitch on was like Noveria or Virmire.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#75  Edited By JJWeatherman

@mordukai said:

... They could have been more attentive when it came to listening to players feedback. ...

I like how this is such a common and accepted mindset. That we as a collection of game players cannot be wrong.

If anything, I think developers think too much about player reactions. They often let them control the direction of their games, whether that's by trying to change every little thing people complain about, or playing it overly safe when a game is well-liked. Developers need to trust themselves more and not get caught up in all of our opinions. Especially when it comes to companies with undeniably brilliant minds behind them.

In the words of Steve Jobs,"I think Henry Ford once said, 'If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, "a faster horse!"' People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page."

But none of this really has anything to do with the topic at hand. I just felt like I needed to put that out there.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mordukai

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Milkman said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Milkman said:

What makes you like the third one better the first?

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Terramagi

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@mordukai:

The Pach has spoken

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/xqpr5v/pach-attack--bioware-doctors---retro-remakes

"You're all a bunch of whiners, and you caused them to leave."

Good. Their last 3 games were bad, and they got called out on it.

"You won't get any more games like those!"

Those games fucking sucked. The games they USED to make, that people actually loved, were never getting made by EA anyways. Who would want their new games, when they've proven they lost their magic touch?

Oh, right, I forgot. Bitter faux-spokesmen who are one comment away from getting blacklisted by EA.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By Vao

in regards of "us" as in the gaming community not buying the Bioware games that was put out then yes, we caused the departure of the Docs, and the downfall of BioWare.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Rowr

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Rowr said:

@mordukai said:

They were shitty games and we spent hard earned money on them and they were horrible horrible disappointments lets not pretend otherwise because you think it's responsible for some other consequence which it probably has nothing to do with.

I guess people aren't allowed to have differing opinions.

"I like ME3"

"Fuck off idiot!"

Who's the real idiot there.

The majority of people at least liked ME3, some people enjoyed Star Wars but were disappointed , and most people disliked DA2.

Yes they deserve criticism, it's how one get's better. No you paying $60 does not give you the right to make death threats, vote EA worst company over companies that forced people out of their homes, cyberbully the shit out of employees, call people idiots because they enjoyed something that you couldn't, etc. It just makes people look childish and frankly stupid.

No where here did i condone death threats.

There's a difference between opinions and wild hypotheses.

Oh well, i guess the majority of people "liked" ME3, well i take it all back, clearly people who thought the games mostly sucked should feel bad for voicing their opinion at the time because they made the creators have sad face. :(

I believe everyone should be allowed to have differing opinions, for example :

You are also an idiot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Rowr You're an asshole. There's my opinion.

@JJWeatherman I think you hit it on the head. There was a great article on RockPaperShotgun (Patrick links to it in this week's Worth Reading) about how the successful Kickstarter projects are not innovating or pushing genres forward, but are retreating into clones of 15 year old games. Because that's the only thing the common consumer is ready to put their money into. I'm excited for Shinji Mikami's next survival horror game NOT because I expect it will be a shot-for-shot clone of Resident Evil 2 (I'm sure Patrick will insist that's what Mikami _wanted_ to make), but because I expect Mikami will innovate and try new gameplay variances and blending of genres. But I don't think you could get people on Kickstarter to sign off on anything truly groundbreaking any more likely than you could get a boardroom of executives to do the same.
    mgray5159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mgray5159

They sold out to EA, nuff said.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@mordukai said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Milkman said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Milkman said:

What makes you like the third one better the first?

I like the character moments in three better than the first one. I also really don't like the combat in the first game. Also fuck all that Mako stuff. The game looks kind of dull. It also repeats itself way more than the other two games similar to Dragon Age 2 which is forgivable given when it came out and it's the first game in the series. I like the combat in ME3 more. I like the character interactions in three more where in the first one it seemed like it was more of a novelty. ME1 had to set up it's universe so it's easy to understand why the character stuff seemed secondary. But I feel like the strength of Mass Effect is the characters. I don't think you really get to know them in the first game. Surprisingly it was the party members that felt brushed over. I will say that because the characters are in the background the story in ME1 did benefit. It also allowed them to characterize the villain more.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Terramagi

@Brodehouse said:

@JJWeatherman I think you hit it on the head. There was a great article on RockPaperShotgun (Patrick links to it in this week's Worth Reading) about how the successful Kickstarter projects are not innovating or pushing genres forward, but are retreating into clones of 15 year old games. Because that's the only thing the common consumer is ready to put their money into. I'm excited for Shinji Mikami's next survival horror game NOT because I expect it will be a shot-for-shot clone of Resident Evil 2 (I'm sure Patrick will insist that's what Mikami _wanted_ to make), but because I expect Mikami will innovate and try new gameplay variances and blending of genres. But I don't think you could get people on Kickstarter to sign off on anything truly groundbreaking any more likely than you could get a boardroom of executives to do the same.

I like how you so easily dismiss "genre that hasn't been made in 10 years because Call of Duty ruined gaming" with the word "clone".

I'm unsure whether that's a testament to you, or to the power of language. I'm more willing to go with the latter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Terramagi said:

@Brodehouse said:

I like how you so easily dismiss "genre that hasn't been made in 10 years because Call of Duty ruined gaming" with the word "clone".

I'm unsure whether that's a testament to you, or to the power of language. I'm more willing to go with the latter.

... Call of Duty killed survival horror?

Cheque please.

edit: Oh, I'm sorry. I mistook you. Call of Duty killed all video games that are or ever will be.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Terramagi

@Brodehouse said:

@Terramagi said:

@Brodehouse said:

... Call of Duty killed survival horror?

Cheque please.

edit: Oh, I'm sorry. I mistook you. Call of Duty killed all video games that are or ever will be.

Firstly, Capcom has gone on the record as saying they wanted "Call of Duty numbers"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-capcom-survival-horror-market-too-small-for-resident-evil

Secondly, yes. Yes it has.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Jimbo

Not in the 'oh no you hurt our feelings sense', but shit word of mouth eventually leads to less dollars. I don't think any of their major franchises have been doing the kind of business EA were hoping for. They fucked up Dragon Age to the point of losing the most die-hard fanbase in the industry, TOR fell way short of original expectations, and they kept desperately trying to turn Mass Effect into something it was never going to be and kept failing, for reasons which should have been obvious. Bioware's reputation is pretty much shot at this point anyway, so they might as well double down and head the division up with people who are prepared to sell out completely and do what needs to be done to make 5M+ sellers.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#87  Edited By Virago

@believer258 said:

Some of you guys are fucking assholes.

Welcome to Giant Bomb!! Where some of us are assholes, and the rest of us are noobs.

I say, GOOD RIDDANCE to Greg and Ray, out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW*!

*I would also accept "talented", "creative", and "respectable" for a start.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.