Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka Are Leaving BioWare

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By insanejedi

@Jimbo7676 said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Excellent!

This is exactly the same thing I was thinking. Another company creatively wrecked by EA. Pretty soon, if not already, Bioware will be nothing but a logo. EA probably knew it was headed that way when they purchased them. Thank god for the rise of smaller independent developers and companies like Valve who lash back against this kind of thing.

"Say yes to a deal for your company to get bought.

Company gets ruined.

Absolved of all responsibility for your company getting ruined."

I love gamers pretending to understand business. You can say no to getting your company bought out guys.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#352  Edited By Hailinel

@insanejedi said:

@Jimbo7676 said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Excellent!

This is exactly the same thing I was thinking. Another company creatively wrecked by EA. Pretty soon, if not already, Bioware will be nothing but a logo. EA probably knew it was headed that way when they purchased them. Thank god for the rise of smaller independent developers and companies like Valve who lash back against this kind of thing.

"Say yes to a deal for your company to get bought.

Company gets ruined.

Absolved of all responsibility for your company getting ruined."

I love gamers pretending to understand business. You can say no to getting your company bought out guys.

It's a question of finances. Being smaller and independent doesn't mean you're in a better position than you'd be if you were bought out. We frankly don't know what Bioware's financial situation looked like before they agreed to being bought out, nor do we know what sort of incentives EA might have offered in the deal.

Point being, you can say "no." It's just not always the best idea to do so.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#353  Edited By Pop

oh, I was hoping they were making a new studio. That's pretty sad.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#354  Edited By GunnBjorn

Of course, they are legally not permitted to vent their discontentment towards EA. There are more reasons they're leaving. But I can't help but feel it all builded up very recently. SW: TOR didn't do too well, their ME franchise turned into a cheap soap opera, etc. They're just done with how the industry is operating. The subterfuges they exert to make money is unheard off! It's the very reason my interest in gaming is waning as well. I hope the Doctors will develop new passions in life. According to their statements, there's no doubt about that. Be well, Dr. Ray! Be well, Dr. Greg! That interview by Brad will always be warm-heartedly remembered! Yes, you all know of what interview I talk about!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#355  Edited By GreggD

@morrelloman said:

How can anything bad happen in games post #teambrad? This was coming i guess. DA2 reactions and ME3 fiasco probably made them hate everyone. Like nothing was good enough even tho other games they put out were called some of the best ever, I know I would be fed up if I were them.

Too fucking true.

delsaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#356  Edited By delsaber

A Bioware Doctor getting into craft beer? Sign me up! I'm sure the brews will be innovative, though perhaps with unsatisfactory end notes...

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By Terramagi

I'd express some amount of sadness if I didn't know full well Bioware died a long time ago. This is just EA's corpsepuppet finally succumbing to decomposition, and coming apart at the joints.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#358  Edited By Nettacki
    @ninjalegend said:

I heard one of my favorite games this year Sleeping Dogs did not do that well. 

In the UK it's been at or near the top of the charts since its release, so in a way it's been doing very well.
    RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By RagingLion

Huh. This is pretty big news.

It's easy for people to point at recent games and try to make some sorts of conclusions but I think that's being a bit too game-centric with perspective. These guys have been doing this for years and Bioware has become the megalithic conglomerate in the recent ones. They've probably gone as far as they can go and I'm sure the enterprise doesn't feel like it once was - maybe the size is now too much for them to want to cope with on a long-term scale. You can understand that they just wanted something different and that other life issues affected things.

The other question about whether this will have much material aspect on Bioware's games is also hard to answer. There's lots of great people there I reckon and hopefully that will work out, though who knows if the successors will arise from inside Bioware or outside of it.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#360  Edited By RadixNegative2

THANKS EA

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By GioVANNI
    Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By Kain55

Well this is a somber moment for the medium. I hope some company somewhere can start up and carry the torch for them. The world of video games needs people like these two that used to truly love the games they made and looked to innovate whenever possible. It'll be a strange industry without them to look to.

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By koobz

I'm happy for those dudes. It seems like it'd be super frustrating to work at BioWare now, both because of EA and because of "fans." I really don't see how any remotely creative company can ever really flourish under the purview of a publicly traded company, so good on 'em for holding out as long as they did.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#364  Edited By Jedted

This is sad news indeed. I wish both of them luck in their future endeavors.

They've built up a pretty strong legacy and i hope it continues to endure in their absence.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#365  Edited By Jackel2072

translation we signed a none compete contract and as soon as that expires we'll open a new none EA studio

voltan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By voltan

Beer? This feels like April fools joke.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367  Edited By probablytuna

I love Bioware. But I think this marks the end of the Bioware as we know..... It is a sad time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End of an era.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP Jade Empire 2.....;_;

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#370  Edited By korolev

They wanted to retire. I would if I were them as well.

The Videogame industry is reaching a tough place right now - there is tremendous money to be made, but there is also tremendous cost and risk. It's very stressful, frankly. One badly received game can sink a studio.

One of the posts by the founders states that he has just lost his passion for the job - and in such a high-pressure industry, you need to care about it to even bother getting out of bed at the end of the day. Once you no longer have that passion, it's best to just leave.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By RedRavN

I have always loved bioware's games and feel kind of upset by this news. I am not sure what tangible impact this will really have on the end product.

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#372  Edited By Picard

Fuck those guys, enjoy your tattoos lol.

That's what happens when you sell out. Isn't that right Giant Bomb? lol.

jk

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#373  Edited By ZombiePie

Huh...so I guess that means there's no real hope of a Jade Empire 2. Now mind you I recognize and concede all of Jade Empire's gameplay issues. It's just such an interesting world and setting that I'd like to see revisited.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#374  Edited By Hailinel

@Picard said:

That's what happens when you sell out. Isn't that right Giant Bomb.

Agreeing to having your company being bought out is not the same thing as selling out. Bioware is and always has been a business, and the decision to allow the purchase by EA was a business decision that, at the time, the doctors almost certainly felt was a positive move for the company.

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By Picard

@Hailinel said:

@Picard said:

Agreeing to having your company being bought out is not the same thing as selling out. Bioware is and always has been a business, and the decision to allow the purchase by EA was a business decision that, at the time, the doctors almost certainly felt was a positive move for the company.

Oh come man, selling your soul to EA wasn't going to bring them nothing but trouble. They knew that, they just didn't care then EA started flashing the green.

RIP Bioware.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By ninjalegend

@GioVANNI

@Nettacki

I have never been happier to be wrong. I heard this from a certain playstation podcast that it has sold poorly. Unfortunately, when I did a little research, the #s are kind of bad. Under a million for a game that size is not great.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70485/sleeping-dogs/

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Picard said:

@Hailinel said:

@Picard said:

Oh come man, selling your soul to EA wasn't going to bring them nothing but trouble. They knew that, they just didn't care then EA started flashing the green.

RIP Bioware.

Being owned by a company and making good games isn't selling out, It's surviving. Being acquired by EA almost always 'kills' the company that was acquired, either by being forced to produce it's successful IP over and over until the talent leaves, or EA shuttering the company and choosing it's talent for another studio. Knowing that, I don't really understand why Bioware agreed to be bought, they knew the track record. But surely they had a good reason, or needed a long term plan, and that was EA. Stop just assuming being acquired is '4 da dough, lol yall deserve 2 die for bein greedy.' Business is more complicated than that.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379  Edited By zFUBARz

I'd imagine as far back as the sale of the company the doctors knew they both planned on leaving in the relatively near future and they wanted to ensure that they're staff and the studio would have a firm footing after they left, handing it off to somebody else would be a decent way to do this.

By all accounts they were good men, and did good work for a long time, so I wish them the best.

Darkstar_Pug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By Darkstar_Pug

=(

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By Picard

@BestUsernameEver said:

Stop just assuming being acquired is '4 da dough, lol yall deserve 2 die for bein greedy.' Business is more complicated than that.

Yeah you know, besides when it's not. They will all talk and talk about the benefits and long term goals - in the end EA waved a billion dollars in their faces'. They bailed once their contact was up with EA - to live happily ever after on the backs of longtime Bioware employees and costumers.

Hey I guess it's their baby, doesn't mean it's not a dick move.

* No doubt I'm jumping to some conclusions here. But we all seen this coming a mile away -

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By mewarmo990

@ZombiePie said:

Huh...so I guess that means there's no real hope of a Jade Empire 2. Now mind you I recognize and concede all of Jade Empire's gameplay issues. It's just such an interesting world and setting that I'd like to see revisited.

Hear, hear!

Aside from gameplay I had issues with the ham-fisted way they interpreted Chinese culture and folklore that I grew up with... but it's so rare to see it at all in games! I enjoyed Jade Empire for the novelty, and would have loved to see them do another.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#383  Edited By psykhophear

They probably had a argument with the big cheese of EA, just like what happened to Richard Garriott when he left the company in 2000. I won't be surprised if the next people to leave are those from Visceral Games.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384  Edited By EXTomar

Bioware should try a complete new IP. And I mean completely new. Going back to Baulder's Gate and Jade Empire would automatically be met with mixed reaction (desperate cash grab!) where an entirely new thing would help reset expectations where at worse they wouldn't know what to think without seeing it.

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By Picard

Despite the billion dollar offer, Newell said Valve would prefer to "disintegrate" than ever sell out.

“It’s way more likely we would head in that direction than say, ‘Let’s find some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate,’" he said.

Is it just a coincidence he just said this?,... lol

Seems like he may of been speaking about something,.. <_<

Avatar image for pinstripehourglass
    PinstripeHourglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that's sad. I can't read Zeschuck's letter as anything but "Greg Zeschuk has retired to drink himself to death."

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By Terramagi

@Picard said:

Despite the billion dollar offer, Newell said Valve would prefer to "disintegrate" than ever sell out.

“It’s way more likely we would head in that direction than say, ‘Let’s find some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate,’" he said.

"Live free or die."

- Gabe Newell, the One Free Man.

Kaigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By Kaigan

Good for them.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By Cybexx

EA: they'll chew you up, spit you out and then re-use your name a decade later when they think people have forgotten. I kid, somewhat.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GioVANNI: The UK isn't the entire market, a game can do well in one region and still not meet sales expectations.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391  Edited By John1912

@PinstripeHourglass said:

Man, that's sad. I can't read Zeschuck's letter as anything but "Greg Zeschuk has retired to drink himself to death."

Im sure if they do a poll, most of EAs employees will do the same thing.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#392  Edited By aleryn

Sad to hear their departure. While I didn't play much Shattered Steel, I've enjoyed their games since the release day of Baldur's Gate I

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#393  Edited By Giantstalker

I'd feel sorry for Bioware, but then again, I'd just end up feeling sorrier for Black Isle.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#394  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Terramagi said:

@Picard said:

"Live free or die."

- Gabe Newell, the One Free Man.

You are followed, my motherfucking sir!

cursormonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395  Edited By cursormonkey

EA drove the doctors to gambling and alcoholism!!!

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396  Edited By Laiv162560asse

Baldur's Gate is one of my most loved games series, but I'm more interested in Zeschuk's beer shenanigans than I have been in any Bioware game post-acquisition.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By DedBeet

@cursormonkey said:

EA drove the doctors to gambling and alcoholism!!!

You win! :)

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By DedBeet

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Picard said:

@Hailinel said:

@Picard said:

RIP Bioware.

Being owned by a company and making good games isn't selling out, It's surviving. Being acquired by EA almost always 'kills' the company that was acquired, either by being forced to produce it's successful IP over and over until the talent leaves, or EA shuttering the company and choosing it's talent for another studio. Knowing that, I don't really understand why Bioware agreed to be bought, they knew the track record. But surely they had a good reason, or needed a long term plan, and that was EA. Stop just assuming being acquired is '4 da dough, lol yall deserve 2 die for bein greedy.' Business is more complicated than that.

And they were bought under Riccitiello regime when it was new and promising a better EA. Back then EA did seem to be turning a corner, but they started losing money and losing ground to Activision so they reverted to their old ways. Sad. I predict the Bioware name ceases to exist in the new 5 years.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399  Edited By dropabombonit

Those statements made me worried for Bioware going forward

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400  Edited By StrikeALight

I always knew that by entering the MMO market, Bioware were going to shoot themselves in the foot.

Its an end of an era, for sure. Perhaps the eventual end of Bioware, altogether.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.