Jump off a crane for your free copy of Borderlands 2

#1 Edited by Sweep (8858 posts) -

Apparently 2K Games is running a PR stunt/event where they are offering fans the chance to bungee jump off a crane on a first-come first-serve basis for a free copy of Borderlands 2:

"We want to provide an afternoon of extreme fun and discover just how psycho Borderlands 2 fans can get. A bungee jump is the perfect way to truly test your nerves and we're excited to bring the insane pleasure of the game into the real world!" - Ben Lawrence, UK PR manager 2K Games

For some reason I can't stop reading the phrase "insane pleasure" and it's making me slightly nauseous.

As PR stunts go, this is pretty cool though. I remember at PAX they were offering free copies of Far Cry 3 to anyone that would have a mohawk shaved onto their head and, by comparison, this seems slightly more imaginative.

You can get involved by trotting over to Brick Lane (get you, you trendy fucks) between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. at the Old Truman Brewery, London, on 23rd September. Source.

I'm not going, mostly because I don't think Borderlands 2 looks worth jumping off a piece of building equipment for. Also I'm an adult with a job and I buy my videogames with money. But would anyone else potentially be interested in taking part in something like this?

Moderator
#2 Posted by Village_Guy (2568 posts) -

That is pretty silly, though I wouldn't do it, if I hadn't already pre-ordered the game.

Man, if I was at PAX though, I would have gotten that mohawk for a copy of Far Cry 3.

#3 Posted by Sweep (8858 posts) -

@Village_Guy: Heh, yeah was thinking about it but after they shaved you they slapped a stupid Far Cry stamp on the side of your head and I think that put him off.

Moderator
#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I would do it if I lived close to there, why not?

#5 Posted by Funkydupe (3316 posts) -

I'm more of a fight to the death in the arena kind of guy.

#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2568 posts) -

@Sweep: Eh, then I might have passed on it... Nah, that's still a small price to pay for a free game!

#7 Posted by Matt (963 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Village_Guy: Heh, yeah was thinking about it but after they shaved you they slapped a stupid Far Cry stamp on the side of your head and I think that put him off.

That put me off.

#8 Posted by Funkydupe (3316 posts) -

@Sursh: haha, what?

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Bungee jumping is scary yo

#10 Posted by Fallen189 (5004 posts) -

If you're an adult with a job, surely having to pay £40 less will allow you to do other things. Like eat. And beer.

#11 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

Damn. :c I've kind of always wanted to bungee jump. If I lived anywhere near London, I'd probably go do it just for the sake of bungee jumping.

#12 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

I've bungee jumped and it was so awesome that to do it again for free AND a copy of Borderlands 2 seems like a no brainer. Shame I don't live near London :(

#13 Posted by Sweep (8858 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

If you're an adult with a job, surely having to pay £40 less will allow you to do other things. Like eat. And beer.

Somehow I manage to accommodate both those things into my lifestyle already...

Moderator
#14 Posted by SoyBob (161 posts) -

I'm planning on going this weekend. I've never done a bungee jump so this seems like an opportune time to give it a whirl.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I hear there's DLC coming where you play Borderlands 2 while bungee jumping.

#16 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'd probably never do it, but cool for folks that'll do it.

#17 Posted by chilibean_3 (1638 posts) -

I would do this in a heartbeat.

#18 Posted by JacDG (2123 posts) -

So wait? You get a free bungee jump AND a copy of Borderlands 2? Man, I wish I lived in cool places.

#19 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I might if it was near me simply because I kind of have an interest in doing a bungee jump, but I'm scared of heights at the same time so I dunno. I would have shaved the mohawk into my head for Far Cry 3 though, I shave my head almost bald anyways so I would just shave the mohawk off afterward.

#20 Posted by Bollard (5523 posts) -

Free bungie jump in London with game? Argh this is so tempting but I bet I would chicken out if I went.

#21 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Would they bury me with my free copy if the chord snapped?

#22 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I'd do it. Might as well feel how it is to die before actually dying.

#23 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6182 posts) -

I think I'd try that even without the game. That looks sort of awesome. Borderlands 2 on top of it is just gravy.

Moderator
#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I'd be the first in line if I lived there, dressed as Mad Moxi while screaming various quotes as I plunge towards my free copy!

#25 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

@JacDG said:

So wait? You get a free bungee jump AND a copy of Borderlands 2? Man, I wish I lived in cool places.

This. It's kind of the same as letting them make you take home a copy of Borderlands so you can bungie jump for free. Two free stuffs of goodness.

But...I think this is prejudiced against obese people. And "...discover just how psycho Borderlands 2 fans can get...bring the insane pleasure of the game into the real world!" - Ben Lawrence, UK PR manager 2K Games

For serious? The joe cool psycho insane baditude talk hurts my brain. Is that the new-speak focus groups generate these days? Or is bungie jumping really both a legitimate barometer of psycho-ness and a real world equivalent of Borderlands 2?

#26 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Cool, but I wouldn't do it, hell roller coasters make me feel terrible, I couldn't imagine putting myself through that.

#27 Posted by Gumby (229 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

@JacDG said:

So wait? You get a free bungee jump AND a copy of Borderlands 2? Man, I wish I lived in cool places.

This. It's kind of the same as letting them make you take home a copy of Borderlands so you can bungie jump for free. Two free stuffs of goodness.

But...I think this is prejudiced against obese people. And "...discover just how psycho Borderlands 2 fans can get...bring the insane pleasure of the game into the real world!" - Ben Lawrence, UK PR manager 2K Games

For serious? The joe cool psycho insane baditude talk hurts my brain. Is that the new-speak focus groups generate these days? Or is bungie jumping really both a legitimate barometer of psycho-ness and a real world equivalent of Borderlands 2?

I really hope you're not being serious...

I completely with the rest of your post though... It's astonishing how often PR-people say really stupid things given their profession.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14817 posts) -

Watch this blow up in their faces when one of the cord snaps and someone dies.

#29 Edited by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

@Sweep said:

I'm not going, mostly because I don't think Borderlands 2 looks worth jumping off a piece of building equipment for. Also I'm an adult with a job and I buy my videogames with money. But would anyone else potentially be interested in taking part in something like this?

Shit. I wouldn't even care about getting a copy of Borderlands 2! Getting a chance to bungie jump? FOR FREE?! That's just something too awesome!

@Sweep said:

@Fallen189 said:

If you're an adult with a job, surely having to pay £40 less will allow you to do other things. Like eat. And beer.

Somehow I manage to accommodate both those things into my lifestyle already...

You could accommodate MORE of it!

Come on, Sweep. Ditch work and do this! Get someone to make video of it, then 'shop that hamburger on your face in the video! WE WANT YOU INSIDE OF US, SO JUMP IN!

#30 Posted by Sanity (1905 posts) -

I would do it just for fun if i was near there.

#31 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

I would do it for the free bungee jump, those are fucking expensive. The game would be nice too.

#32 Posted by Soap (3589 posts) -

@Sweep said:

I'm an adult with a job

That is the scariest shit I've ever read.

#33 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

Come on, a free bungee jump and a free game? I live in the wrong country... ffs. :)

#34 Posted by Undeadpool (4934 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Village_Guy: Heh, yeah was thinking about it but after they shaved you they slapped a stupid Far Cry stamp on the side of your head and I think that put him off.

That's ALMOST Acclaim-level dumb.

#35 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4350 posts) -

I would do it for another copy.

#36 Posted by ajamafalous (11988 posts) -

Is the bungie jump free? If so I'd totally do it.

#37 Posted by Solh0und (1771 posts) -

It could be worse....Least you're not chasing after a balloon for a copy of Mass Effect 3.

#38 Posted by mlarrabee (2947 posts) -

I'd be all over a free bungie jump and game! The $1200 ticket to travel there is the source of my inhibition.

#39 Posted by Grillbar (1824 posts) -

i would do it just for the bungee jump. but its a stupid pr stunt

#40 Posted by Fallen189 (5004 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Fallen189 said:

If you're an adult with a job, surely having to pay £40 less will allow you to do other things. Like eat. And beer.

Somehow I manage to accommodate both those things into my lifestyle already...

But you might be able to upgrade from White Lightning to "Premium Gin"

#41 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Waiting in line to jump off a bungie tower sounds like a shit loud of time...

Like time I could spend at my job and make 60 dollars...jesus,

Also I'd have to fly to London..

#42 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Nope, then again surprised that EA hasn't tried this already for CoD/MW game except you need to shoot at some targets with a pellet gun during the dive to win the free copy of the game.

#43 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

They were giving out copies of Far Cry 3 just for getting a mohawk? Who the hell would turn that down?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.