Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Is it worth playing this game alone?

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By angelkanarias

I have a couple of friends who have the PS3 and even if they bought the game we would play very few times a month. So, is it really worth it considering this case?, can people join randomly like in L4D? 

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

The name of the game may help.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By angelkanarias

Borderlands, I forgot to put the specific page, can somebody move this?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By asurastrike

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the entire appeal of Borderlands is playing with friends. Otherwise borderlands just looks like an average shooter in a wasteland.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I think you meant to attach this to a specific forum.  Which game?

EDIT:  Ok.  Borderlands.  I don't think it will be worth it for most people.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By angelkanarias
    @Origina1Penguin said:

" I think you meant to attach this to a specific forum.  Which game? "

borderlands  
    @Asurastrike
    said:

" I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the entire appeal of Borderlands is playing with friends. "

*cries*
    intercryllic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By intercryllic

Who says you wont have fun with it when playing alone? I guess the co-op is an added bonus, but I hardly think it will make a huge difference when it comes to enjoyment. It isnt even out so we will have to wait and see.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Don't feel down about it.  Round up some new GB friends to play with you.  I think there's even a thread dedicated to finding others to play with already.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By asurastrike
    @Intercryllic said:
    " Who says you wont have fun with it when playing alone? I guess the co-op is an added bonus, but I hardly think it will make a huge difference when it comes to enjoyment. It isnt even out so we will have to wait and see. "
    They've been comparing their game to Diablo 2 since they first started talking about it. So it'll be about as fun as playing Diablo 2 alone...so not at all.
    intercryllic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By intercryllic
    @Asurastrike: I beg to differ, I had a lot of fun playing Diablo 2 alone. So you see, its different for everyone.
    SenorTinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SenorTinman

I actually think the two go hand in hand. You grind a bunch in single player then show off all your cool guns, shields, etc. to your friends. You'll have a ton to do both on and offline. I'm probably gonna play through half by myself and half with friends. Really it all depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you don't need an in-depth story and like shooting, looting, and bruting (Sorry, I had to make it rhyme) then I think you'll enjoy it solo. Also, if you really need someone to play with, I'm sure me and other Giant Bomb users would be more than happy to play a round with you occasionally.

@Asurastrike said:

" @Intercryllic said:

" Who says you wont have fun with it when playing alone? I guess the co-op is an added bonus, but I hardly think it will make a huge difference when it comes to enjoyment. It isnt even out so we will have to wait and see. "
    They've been comparing their game to Diablo 2 since they first started talking about it. So it'll be about as fun as playing Diablo 2 alone...so not at all. "

Also this.
    mrmovat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrmovat

Yeah just wait until the reviews.  I'm sure those kinds of questions will be answered.  All I know is that I'm getting it because I think it looks badass and Randy Pitchford is awesome.  He used to be a professional Magician!
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @Intercryllic said:
    " @Asurastrike: I beg to differ, I had a lot of fun playing Diablo 2 alone. So you see, its different for everyone. "
    me 2 almost preferred it 
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By angelkanarias
    @SenorTinman said:
    " I actually think the two go hand in hand. You grind a bunch in single player then show off all your cool guns, shields, etc. to your friends. You'll have a ton to do both on and offline. I'm probably gonna play through half by myself and half with friends. Really it all depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you don't need an in-depth story and like shooting, looting, and bruting (Sorry, I had to make it rhyme) then I think you'll enjoy it solo. Also, if you really need someone to play with I'm sure me and other Giant Bomb users would be more than happy to play a round with you occasionally.

@Asurastrike said:
    " @Intercryllic said:
    They've been comparing their game to Diablo 2 since they first started talking about it. So it'll be about as fun as playing Diablo 2 alone...so not at all. "
    Also this. "
    yeah. I'll make a forum post to add people or something if I get to buy it.
    Gorikka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gorikka

It depends on what you enjoy. I'm going to play with my friends, but I really enjoy having a game with loads of loot that I can just sort of grind mindlessly at whilst listening to podcasts. So this will be an excellent Diablo II replacement for me,and I'll play it on my own.

hpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By hpv

I'd play it alone.  Running around, shooting shit, and collecting stuff is fun.  Especially with those tight console shooter controls and gorgeous graphics.

Pretty sure you can just jump into a buddy's game while he's playing, but you'll be in his "world" if you do that.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheGremp

I'm probably gonna play it alone, but that's because I don't like people.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Dark_Jon

Personally, this game seems similar to Diablo and I can't play those types of games very long or else I get bored to death. Some people like that though. 

Overall, It depends on the person.

Slaveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slaveg

I'm playing alone and I don't feel like it's meant to be played in co-op. The game's quite challenging, I'm really enjoying it.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I don't have the game but it seems like there should be a way to open your game up to anybody online that is looking for a game to join, or if you prefer, jump into some random person's game.

hpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hpv

If it helps make up your mind there's some kid on justin.tv who's been live streaming himself soloing the game for like 3 days straight.  Fallout 3 was a ton of fun just wandering around wrecking shit and that game's shooting mechanic wasn't all that great and Borderlands absolutely nails.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By bwooduhs

Im super hyped for Borderlands and i don't plan on playing with friends.

Shankus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Shankus
    @angelkanarias said:

" I have a couple of friends who have the PS3 and even if they bought the game we would play very few times a month. So, is it really worth it considering this case?, can people join randomly like in L4D?  "

I'm down with playing the PS3 version with those of you that may be in the same situation as this! 
    Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CarolinaFan3515

Does any one know if this has split screen co-op?  My friend, who I always game with, doesn't have a system and I would like to pack up my system and play through co-op at his place.

Edit:  PS3 version if any Giantbombers are interested in playing online as well.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By Atlas

I enjoyed playing Left 4 Dead single player. I've spent hours playing fighting games without going online, especially with Virtua Fighter. I'm sure I'll find a way to enjoy Borderlands offline.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Pie
    @CarolinaFan3515 said:
    " Does any one know if this has split screen co-op?  My friend, who I always game with, doesn't have a system and I would like to pack up my system and play through co-op at his place.  Edit:  PS3 version if any Giantbombers are interested in playing online as well. "
    It features two player split screen me thinks
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy
    @Pie said:

" @CarolinaFan3515 said:

" Does any one know if this has split screen co-op?  My friend, who I always game with, doesn't have a system and I would like to pack up my system and play through co-op at his place.  Edit:  PS3 version if any Giantbombers are interested in playing online as well. "
    It features two player split screen me thinks "
    On that funny little video by IGN, when the girl asked if her girlfriends would have fun playing this game, he explained that there is 4 player split screen, and showed the screen divided into four. 

Jeff's review said the game is still awesome on single player, too!
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By mordecaix7
    @Intercryllic said:
    " @Asurastrike: I beg to differ, I had a lot of fun playing Diablo 2 alone. So you see, its different for everyone. "
    This.  I plan mainly on playing alone.  I'm at the bleeding edge when it comes to gaming with my friends.  They usually wait a year or two, sometimes more, before picking up a game.
    Avatar image for the_dude_abides
    The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By The_Dude_Abides

I'm playing it on my own and enjoying it a great deal.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yukoei

You should be fine, but get some people from GB to play with also.

ConstanT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ConstanT

I'm playing it as we speak. I love the game. It's fun, even if you are playing it by yourself. 

If you start playing by yourself, and jump into a friends game, it'll get kind of confusing as to what you are doing or where you should quest.. but it's fun non the less.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's reassuring that others plan to play alone, also.  I'm considering getting this game and this kind of tells me I can go ahead without worrying about the co-op aspect of it being integral to my enjoyment.

Avatar image for coffeeandabagel
    CoffeeandaBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CoffeeandaBagel

The first thing I did with my copy was bring it to a friend for some split screen fun. He's got a standard def tv, and it was basically a nightmare. Thought I'd made a mistake buying the game. Played the next day alone on an HD and was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

This game is great. If you have a stomach for the grind, don't hesitate.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MikkaQ

This game is actually pretty fun alone, you just miss out on all the deeper elements of strategy in combat that comes from different classes teaming up with each other, but it is perfectly playable, and whatnot. I'm probably solo-ing it for most of playthrough 1, but definitely bringing more friends when I hit the 2nd playthough (which should be around the time my friends can afford the damn game, stupid prices going up...)

Lydian_Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Lydian_Sel

Out of what I've played so far I've done roughly half of it single player & half in co-op & I'd say there is totally an appeal for going it solo at least for a while. It makes sense to play solo till so your character can bulk up & grab some terrific loot because the looting in co-op, more often than not, is pretty bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.