Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

This game caused the death of two of my PS3 controllers.(Blogish)

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CarolinaFan3515

Ok so here's the deal.  I've been playing an unhealthy amount of this game, and one of the side effects is the increased wear and tear of my controllers.  This game is so manic that I'm constantly mashing on the fire trigger.  It only took getting my Hunter to level 50  to break my first controller.  The spring in the R2 trigger is so shot that any time you even so slightly touch it it fires. (I know I regenerate ammo and all, but its not the ideal way to play.)   So I retired that controller.  I only use it when I'm playing a game that rarely uses R2 in it's main control scheme.  So now after playing through some more of the DLC and leveling a Siren to 35, a Soldier to 15, and Brick to 10.  My second controller is beginning to give.  Same issue.  My "Kill Dudes" button is starting to get a little mushy.  Now I wish Sony had designed a more sturdy controller to begin with or even left the triggers as buttons.  I'm not sure if I'm on here to bitch about the quality of the controllers, or just boast about how much freaking Borderlands induced torture I've subjected my controllers to.  I finally wised up and changed the control scheme to where R1 is now fire.  It doesn't feel right quite yet, but it will be cheaper down line.  I just want to know if anyone else has had an issue with the durability of your console controllers.  Any one?

ldeadeyesl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ldeadeyesl

I've played a decent amount of shooters including Borderlands. Damn autosave killed my lvl 30. It's the first game to kill a save from autosave 
    corruption. Anyways I've played a lot of shooters and I never had a problem with the triggers. I own 4 controllers however and I don't play with the same one all the time. Oh and I had to replace one after my brother threw it and it broke during a MLB the show match. So I guess I have split my gaming onto 5 controllers.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Torrim

I've put a lot of ware on my XBox controllers and they're surprisingly sturdy.  By comparison every time I hold a PS3 controller I feel like it's going to be crushed under the weight of my dainty hands.

Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Furyjoell

I've had my original Xbox controller since launch and played a ton of shooters, still just as sturdy today as it was when I bought it. I don't really like the feel of the PS3 controller, the triggers feel wrong and they are too light, they just feel like they wont last to be honest. Borderlands is awesome though, I need to play some more.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Torrim

The playstation gets the feel of the D-pad right, but the triggers don't feel great.  The R1 and L1 buttons feel way more responsive, and as a result I often see if I can try and remap, because that's more of what I expect from PS2 era games when the fire buttons were just on the top, instead of the back.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

Fight Night Round 4 did it for one of my PS3 controllers and it wasn't even me playing that game.  The "buds" on the dual sticks actually rotate.  Very unfortunate loss of control for me.

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By GeneralTurkle

I broke two controllers over trying to complete Mile High Club on Veteran back in COD4

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By gla55jAw

I haven't broken any controllers, but this is the first game in a very long time where my hands would start hurting really bad while I was still playing (I play it on 360). When I first got it my sessions were pretty long and I would have to stop because my hand hurt or cramped up. The only other time I could remember this happening was when the COD4 beta was out and I played for like 6 hours straight.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By shadows_kill

cod4 took one of my controllers. now its my cod controller cause when i pressed to sprint i held it down so over time it sticks when i try to move forward but it still works fine for all other shooters so its not that broken i guess...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

My 360 controller is going on 3 years old and yes, I've played Borderlands. I've actually played close to 8 days of total gametime in it. It still works perfectly.

KrunkSplein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KrunkSplein

I agree with Torrim that the PS3 dpad is much more precise and simply feels better to use.  I don't play enough fighters to warrant a control stick, so I rely on the dpad.  That's the only reason I got Street Fighter 4 for the PS3 over the 360.   As for controller wear, I simply don't play my PS3 enough to have this happen, so my controllers are still in tip-top shape (in fact, one is even still in box.  I really don't play my PS3 often).  My 360 controllers (which I've had since launch, one cordless + one corded) however, are both slightly worn.  On the wireless controller, the trigger springs squeak ever so slightly.  And while brand new 360 controllers will have four little nubs for grip on each thumbstick, they are worn smooth on mine.

But to be a little more on-topic, I love Borderlands.  Truly and deeply love it.  It's essentially the game I had wanted when Hellgate: London was announced.  In fact, I can still pinpoint the exact moment I went from really liking this game to absolutely, unabashedly loving it.  I had just gotten a new shotgun with red-text reading "have a nice day".  Now, most of you probably already know what this means, but at the time I had no idea.  I was in town when I inadvertently fired at a wall at about medium range.  I wasn't sure if I had really seen what I thought I had seen, so I fired a few more times.  Sure enough, the pellet spread on the shotgun was in a smiley face pattern.  Core design, art direction, these are things that make a game good.  But it's the little details that make a game great.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Skytylz

my controllers are about 3 years old and on 1 the Y button sticks but other than that their fine. 

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
    @ldeadeyesl: I too have 5 controllers.  2 original SIXAXIS and 3 DualShock3.  I typically just use about two or three of them on a rotation while the others charge.  The battery life is just a little too long I guess.  That my day-long play sessions are just a little too rough on em.  Oh well.  The new control scheme seems to be working wonders though.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quacktastic

One of my DS3 right sticks floats to the left and it's probably because my niece likes to throw it at hardwood floors but I have this feeling in the back of my head that its because of Infamous and my clicking the stick 10,000 times to find all of the blue shards, twice.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Bouke

I've been playing Borderlands on PS3 as well, but when i started i changed the control layout right away. The default layout didn't work at all, with firing on the R2 trigger. For shooters i think the DualShock triggers feel way to "loose", i rather use the L1 to aim, and R1 to fire.
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By NinjaHunter

Maybe you're pushing the trigger to hard. I use L2 and R2 for all FPS's that allow me to and I've never had this problem. Well, except for one controller that I abused out of frustration. But I have a level 50 hunter and a level 30 something siren and the spring hasn't just randomly broken on me from just playing.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @GeneralTurkle said:
    " I broke two controllers over trying to complete Mile High Club on Veteran back in COD4 "
    That only took me almost an hour of dedication without any third-party help to complete it. You must suck bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.