Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Activision Setting up a Third Call of Duty Development Team?

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Tuggah
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

*ugh*  Hopefully, it's a team that will be dedicated to working on Wii iterations while Infinity Ward and Treyarch work on the 360 and PS3 stuff.  I think it would vastly help improve the quality of the Wii games (although World at War wasn't terrible by any means). 

Also, this should be on either the Activision or Call of Duty (franchise) forums.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By meptron

My prediction:  treyarch and the new guys will alternate, doing CoD every year. IW will entirely separate themselves from the CoD name and keep doing their own thing, either more MW or develope new IPs.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai
    @jakob187 said:

" *ugh*  Hopefully, it's a team that will be dedicated to working on Wii iterations while Infinity Ward and Treyarch work on the 360 and PS3 stuff.  I think it would vastly help improve the quality of the Wii games (although World at War wasn't terrible by any means).  Also, this should be on either the Activision or Call of Duty (franchise) forums. "

Do you really believe that Jakob? I know deep down inside you think as the rest of us. I think something is going to happen within Activision and I think IW are going to leave the ship. Just remember that if or when it happened then I fucking called it months ago (just check my comment 8th one down). Another explanation would be that they are setting a dev team for the inevitable MW MMO. 
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

dang that is going to be crazy to have three teams make a call of duty game. it would be horrible to have three teams make a call of duty game, like now treyarch is going to make another one and now this other team is going to make one after them.

roach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By roach

Does Bobby realise what he's doing? Milking is one thing, but is beyond milking. This is... super milking!  

Mark my words, in six years' time, 1/3 of developers will be under Activision's command, releasing a new Call of Duty every month.

...mark my words!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

I hope this leads to IW saying fuck you Activision and then leaving.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
    @Mordukai: Don't get me wrong, I've felt like IW was ready to leave Activision for some time, back when World at War had tons of drama surrounding it.  However...I just don't see it happening in a way that doesn't mimic Bungie in a ton of ways (leave pissed off, then continue to do what they said they didn't want to do, i.e. making Halo games).  Frankly, IW and Bungie might as well just be the same company at this point, as both of those studios only make one game franchise and that's it.  =  / 

However, I would like to remain optimistic on this one, as it would mean both good business for Activision (which we know gives Kotick a big shit-eating grin) as well as better critical reception and hopefully less pressure in terms of hatred from the gaming community. 

Plus...after Modern Warfare Reflex...they need some goddamn redeeming now...
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

I'm wondering if Activision is thinking MW is more powerful than COD, namewise, so they want a new studio to make every other MW game now. I wouldn't put it past them.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By giyanks22
    @Afroman269 said:
    " I hope this leads to IW saying fuck you Activision and then leaving. "
    IW should be their own publishers. God knows they have enough money.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Scooper

There should just be IW making "Call of Duty" games (I don't really mean that, modern warfare isn't even really Call of Duty anymore, it's its own great new franchise) because the IW games have been the only ones I've ever been interested in (I've played the shit out of COD1, COD2, COD4 and now just got MW2, only played the Treyarch games round a friend's house and thought they were pants).

If Activision wants to get a third team in there it would be best if they set them to work on the Wii versions of Treyarch and IW's games so they'd be the best they could be.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Meptron said:
    " My prediction:  treyarch and the new guys will alternate, doing CoD every year. IW will entirely separate themselves from the CoD name and keep doing their own thing, either more MW or develope new IPs. "
    This seems pretty believable imo, but honestly I kind of like Jakob's idea. Hell honestly I would be happy if the new team was also dedicated to making not WWII FPSes.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

I'm pretty sure this step is a direct reaction to MW2's success, and as such, the new team will be tasked with making sure there's a MW game every year. IW will never get its own IP, because anything they work on will become so successful that Activision will want a yearly iteration.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By septim

Activision is determined to run all of it's popular franchises into the ground. Once a year is even kind of pushing it, anything more and you are gonna wear out the precious hype that gave MW2 its huge numbers.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By toowalrus
    @Mordukai: I will make sure I forget that. 

I also see Tryarch and another team working on the Call of Duty franchise, while Infanity Ward keep working on the Modern Warfare games. (I can't wait for the redicioulous story that they come up with for MW3, and more maps, MW2 needs more maps).
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Karmum

Maybe they're setting up a third studio for Wii / DS Call of Duty games. Just a thought. Maybe a whole new game, and each developer has more time to release their game. Like Treyarch next year, IW the year after, and finally this new developer?

Maybe the studio is working on downloadble content or something.

@giyanks22 said:

" @Afroman269 said:
    " I hope this leads to IW saying fuck you Activision and then leaving. "
    IW should be their own publishers. God knows they have enough money. "

You think IW has a lot of money?
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Modern Warfare really does have a Kotick troll following you around...

This news makes me go "sigh" but, at the same time, if this new developer will be making games like World at War (which I was not a fan of), then I won't support them. However, that really doesn't matter because they will be raking in millions no matter what with every game they release now....why have we become like this?

leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By leky1
    @roach said:
    " Does Bobby realise what he's doing? Milking is one thing, but is beyond milking. This is... super milking!  

Mark my words, in six years' time, 1/3 of developers will be under Activision's command, releasing a new Call of Duty every month.

...mark my words! "
    Month?Week!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.