Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Should i buy this or Enslaved?

YodaShinoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By YodaShinoda

Now i know these are not exactly the same kind of game but with them both being out this week in the UK on Friday, i'm a little unsure as to which i should be buying?! 
    Anyone that has Castlevania (and/or Enslaved) how do they compare overall as i loved the Enslaved demo but i'm still on the fence regarding CV..??
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

Neither are very original, still competent. Unless you're looking for something mindblowing both of will please your senses. 

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By GoofyGoober

I think castlevania looks better and has deeper gameplay, but Enslaved looks like it has a better story. Both look like they will offer some fun.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I am wrestling with the same decision. I'll probably eventually get both but I can only get one right now. At the moment I am leaning towards Enslaved.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

I'm under the impression that Castlevania is longer, so if length is an issue then I'd go with that.
    Having played some of both at this point, I'm digging Enslaved a little more.

Leviticus128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Leviticus128

I can't decide so I'm borrowing some money so I can get both, loved both of the demos

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GunnBjorn

C: LoS was supposed to redefine the Castlevania serie, but somewhat disappointed in doing so. By no means are 7.5/7.8 bad scores, but I expected at least an 8.5 or higher. But yeah, it has it flaws. And no, not because it borrows elements from GOW and DMC; the lamest complain reviewers can come up with... but they do! Ugh! Fixed camera controll, the 'little meat between the sandwich' story plot and unimaginative puzzles is what holds this title from being brilliant. The good parts about LoS? It looks ab-so-lu-te-ly stunning! If you're a courtisan for superb visuals, this game will blow you (away)! Oooh, and the atmosphere is uncanny! Combine terrific music to the mixture and you'll have an enthralling experience! 

Enslaved: OttW seems to to be a little more original. Seems? Yeah well, I admit, I haven't played this game yet in favor of C:LoS. : ) And here's my recommendation to you. Go for E: OttW. I think it's the most interesting of the two. LoS can wait. But do buy it when you've got the time/money. Both these games deserve a place in your collection (and maybe even in your heart).  

It''s hardly a well-opinionated review, but you're the final judge to decide which of these games you want play first. Good luck!
    Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ghil

Simple as: Are you a Castlevania fan? If yes, then go for Enslaved. If not, then are you a fan of God of war? If yes, LoS, if not, Enslaved.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @GunnBjorn said:
    "
    C: LoS was supposed to redefine the Castlevania serie, but somewhat disappointed in doing so. By no means are 7.5/7.8 bad scores, but I expected at least an 8.5 or higher. But yeah, it has it flaws. And no, not because it borrows elements from GOW and DMC; the lamest complain reviewers can come up with... but they do! Ugh! Fixed camera controll, the 'little meat between the sandwich' story plot and unimaginative puzzles is what holds this title from being brilliant.
    Its getting a lot better than the Gamespot/IGN 7.5 scores, if you care about that.  I agree with you about the fixed camera; its also looks kind of jerky in tight places because the character moves so fast.  The story however, I like.  So far (I'm one chapter in) they seem to have built a rich world around LoS.  My main complaint so far is how it borrows from games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus but what it borrows isn't as good as the original.
    r0tatioN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By r0tatioN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usSEvpPMFw 

Personally, I love the game.  True fixed camera angle does suck a lot at times but it fits in the game well.  Only problem that it really brings is the enemies off screen.  I am suddenly whipping my whip off towards the camera and the enemies can't be seen yet. 

Other than that I think that the only true reviews that you can get are from those who have no prior Castlevania experience with the series since there is less bias there.  This was supposed to appeal to mass audiences to propel Castlevania to becoming a huge hit in the West like it was back in the 80's.  Still has a great fanbase but they want to expand it into a HUGE one.  Problem is that I think it will be a commercial failure.  The guy at Gamestop yesterday said that they only sold around two copies by the time I picked it up that day...Sure everyone on forums/youtube comments have been sticking right by it, but when people see the corporate reviews by IGN/GS/GT they see the 7.5 and they make judgement. 

Reviews to me have nothing to do with the numbers, I look for what is in the content of the reviewers words about how the game is.  The only real problem that I have been seeing is that it is "not Castlevania" and is a "rip off of GoW, SotC, etc.".  The number to me is for the lazy people who don't feel like taking time to read the review, they even say its "in depth" but no one reads comparatively. 

I let my friend the other day play the first chapter at his house and he was amazed by it.  I really do think it will fail commercially but it to me as a true blue CV fan since I was playing the NES in the 90's.  It is a difference, and I see where they are coming from but still, the action is great and the bosses are phenominal.  It actually feels like Castlevania should be when in 3D. 

Again, I LOVE it, but not all people will.  Cheesey dialogue is a low point at occasions and Patrick Stewart really is not fit to be Zobec (still can't stop thinking of Picard!). 

Anyways...I haven't played Enslaved, but I have seen gameplay and the camera is terrible...makes me worried about DMC...but I am 100% sure that the new reboot of DMC is going to be the same as the reviews for LoS are... It looks really fun though still. 

Basically:  Don't pass off Castlevania, but find out more from other people who own it first before you listen to my opinion.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

Judging by both demos: Enslaved is pretty amazing. Castlevania is... meh.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Tordah

I'd get both of them if possible. Looks like two really great games.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Sackmanjones

yes

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Volgin13
    @YodaShinoda: Enslaved! A million times Enslaved! I bought and returned Castlevania in the same day. I returned it and got Enslaved and haven't regretted it one bit.
    Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Volgin13
    @Jeust said:
    " Neither are very original, still competent. Unless you're looking for something mindblowing both of will please your senses.  "
    How many games do you know where you play as a slave? ...None? So its original. 
    FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By FunkyHugo

I'm in the same exact boat. I've read that Castlevania can last up to 20 hours, so I'll probably get more bang for my buck with that. Sooner or later I shall have both.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Just get them both.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Jeust
    @Volgin13 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " Neither are very original, still competent. Unless you're looking for something mindblowing both of will please your senses.  "
    How many games do you know where you play as a slave? ...None? So its original.  "

Enslaved story is based on an ancient chinese legend. :p
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

Castlevania. Don't let people fool you, it's awesome.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By JJOR64

If you don't mind games like God of War, get Lords of Shadow.  I loving Castlevania so far.  It may not be original gameplay wise, it's still a lot of fun.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

Here's how I usually decide on what game to buy:  I stand around staring at the games at the store for about five to ten minutes.  Afterwards, I go looking around at other stuff.  I then come back and stare some more.  I go back to looking around at other things.  I come back for the last time and ask myself "have I made a decision within three times of coming over to stare at these games?".  If I have, then I get one.  if not, then I don't bother.  Why?  Well, why would I buy a game at full price if I couldn't even decide which one I wanted within three trips back and forth?  It just means I'm going to wait until it's on sale.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By JJOR64
    @doublezeroduck said:
    " Neither get 2K11 "
    There is a game called 2011?
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By vidiot

I would recommend Enslaved. 
    I had the same problem, a friend of mine picked up Castlevania and I picked up Enslaved. I've been completely enjoying myself so far, my friend on the other-hand has been having a real love/hate relationship with the game he picked up. From my understanding: If you're into a long twenty hour action game with gameplay akin to GoW (not a bad thing) with little to no pacing, then Castlevania is right up your alley. Personally, my tolerance for that style of gameplay hit's around the eight hour mark or so, and I've hear the middle of the game has moments that drag on

Enslaved seems a bit short, but it's better paced and has been so far, incredibly fresh. Castlevania is going to be around for a while, Enslaved on the other-hand might be this year's under-appreciated hit that doesn't get the sales it deserves. Someone else in another thread responded to me, saying that his local GameStop got like, three copies on launch to sell for 360. Go pick up Enslaved, it's going to be a long holiday season and Castlevania can wait.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Vorbis

I couldn't decide so ordered both, but think I'll play Enslaved first, more of a Monkey fan than a Castlevania fan. Both look great though.

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nvmfst
    Here's some @Volgin13 said:

" @Jeust said:

How many games do you know where you play as a slave? ...None? So its original.  "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West     

@YodaShinoda: I would have to say if you are into narrative go with Enslaved.
    YodaShinoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By YodaShinoda

I'll be honest, i think Enslaved is gonna be my game of the year. From playing the demo 5 times through and really itching to get it first thing tomorrow morning, i can see myself becoming absolutely obsessed with it! Until Fallout, Vanquish, Fable..come out lol
    Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Volgin13
    @Einherjan: I meant in video game narrative. I DID not say its super duper original
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @Volgin13 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    You start as a slave in Oblivion, IIRC.

Pretty much Red Dead Redemption, too, at least in a way very similar to Enslaved. Monkey is "enslaved" but he's not exactly a "slave" per se. It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say but he starts out free (or escaping or what-have-you), gets a headband, and then if my impression later is correct he starts to do the stuff willingly despite the headband still being on him. It's more like he's been captured, in my eyes.

Not saying it isn't original, just that the slave angle of it isn't the reason why. I would say the design of the world, from a post-apocalyptic standpoint is quite original, though. I haven't played the full game yet, just the demo, so for all I know it's gets really innovative later on with other stuff.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By valrog

You should make a poll. And get both. If not, then Castlevania.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PK_Koopa

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow of the colossus interests me more.
    But Vanquish is coming out real soon....

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nvmfst
    @PK_Koopa said:
    "But Vanquish is coming out real soon.... "
    Lol....
    Horry43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Horry43

People comparing the demos? Enslaved demo was among the worst I've ever played! Wtf?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ares42

Finally finished both games, and I'd say LoS should be your first pick. While it's story isn't great I didn't find Enslaved to be too epic either. LoS on the other hand has way way better setpieces and much more varied gameplay. While it lacks abit on the collectibles department, I'd say that's better than the overkill Enslaved has of putting orbs in every single corner of every single room. LoS is also (as already mentioned) longer, and if you're into it it has challenges for every single level that allows the game to live on even longer.

Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Nunchuckles

Get Enslaved, it's everything that you loved in the demo, but more, much more.  It's a captivating story, and you'll play majority of it in one sitting if you give yourself that time.  I also own Castlevania, and I stopped playing Castlevania and started playing Enslaved and beat it.  I don't even know if I'm going to go back to Castlevania, the story and the game feels chopped up because of the mission complete screen with every section of each chapter.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ares42

@Nunchuckles

said:

"  the story and the game feels chopped up because of the mission complete screen with every section of each chapter. "

This is very true, but it's a trick of the mind. If you go into it expecting a great story and cinematic experience ala GoW or Uncharted this will be annoying, but if you put the story on the back-burner and just play the game it's not a big problem. 
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jkz

Enslaved's gameplay is almost like a trial to go through to get to the awesome story-telling portions. The VO is great, and the back and forth between Monkey and Trip are great. Still, its game-play suffers. 

Castlevania, on the other hand, has a pretty shallow, befuddling story, but has some of the most satisfying game-play in any character-action-game I've played in the past few years (it even beats out God of War 3 for me), and the variety really keeps you going. It doesn't really pick up until 2 hours in, and the pacing isn't always 100% consistent, but it's a great experience. It's also of a good length, so if that's a consideration for you, know that it's about twice as long as Enslaved. 

Personally, I'd recommend buying Castlevania and renting Enslaved. They're both good, but I felt that I was struggling to get over the clunkiness of the game-play (the camera is especially obnoxious) in Enslaved, while I never really felt like putting down Castlevania.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By maxszy

I am really enjoying Enslaved so far. No its not revolutionary, but its a well paced, fun component game that five chapters in so far I can't wait till I can get back to play it some more. Its fun, and you'll get that out of it at least. And that's what games are for right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.