Chrono Trigger DS. (will it have 3d graphics?)

#1 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

I'm looking around and sources are saying the game is revamped to take advantage of the DS hardware, I don't know if that just means they will use the touch screen or if it will be in 3d. anybody have confirmed info or thoughts?

#2 Posted by GoranP (1116 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that the graphics will be 2D

#3 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

ok so its a port with improved controls for the DS?

#4 Posted by GoranP (1116 posts) -

Well, we'll see about the improved part when it comes out. But yes, it is basically just a port from what I know.

#5 Posted by Chaos (96 posts) -

i also heard it's pretty much a straight port of the game. I didn't hear anything about improved graphics.  i think its mainly going to be use of the touch screen.

#6 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

It should!

#7 Posted by pikastar (95 posts) -

The graphics are 2D. Touch screen controls will be added and they will be taking advantage of the dual screens (which probably means stats or a map). The cutscenes from the PS1 version will be there as well as a new translation script.

The game cart will include both the "updated" version as well as the original SNES version.

#8 Posted by Ghil (229 posts) -

woot, the cutscenes! :) I hope they add Singing Mountains too.

#9 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

It's a port, nothing will barely change and this should really be $20-$30 instead of $40. Might as well put it one the Wii virtual console. 

#10 Posted by DorianBlack (311 posts) -
DarkLegend said:
"It's a port, nothing will barely change and this should really be $20-$30 instead of $40. Might as well put it one the Wii virtual console. "
No they shouldn't, I've been wanting this on a portable for years.
#11 Posted by Dymach (36 posts) -

Yeah but SquEnix can make too much money selling it as a DS game.

I'm excited as all hell for it though, and I still have the original and a working SNES.  I might be one of the few that actually doesn't want them to change a thing.  I think updating the graphics will destroy a lot of the charm of the game.  The only thing I'd ever really like to see is perhaps orchestrated music, but obviously that's a pipe dream for the DS.

#12 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -
KairuDeLarge said:
"DarkLegend said:
"It's a port, nothing will barely change and this should really be $20-$30 instead of $40. Might as well put it one the Wii virtual console. "
"
I meant both, DS and VC.
#13 Posted by DorianBlack (311 posts) -
DarkLegend said:
"KairuDeLarge said:
"DarkLegend said:
"
I meant both, DS and VC."
Oh then thats perfectly fine. If I had a Wii I would probably get that too.
#14 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1162 posts) -

AFAIK it's going to be a direct port of the snes version with most likely a permanent map that sits on the unused screen.

#15 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

I hope not. I want this game in its original glory.

#16 Posted by ThomasP (1656 posts) -
pikastar said:
"The graphics are 2D. Touch screen controls will be added and they will be taking advantage of the dual screens (which probably means stats or a map). The cutscenes from the PS1 version will be there as well as a new translation script.

The game cart will include both the "updated" version as well as the original SNES version.
"
Sweet.
#17 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

It's a straight up port. You can use Touch Screen controls if you want.

Anyways, I'm much happier with it as a straight port because I never got to play the original and I've heard that the Playstation version is filled with bugs.

#18 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I hope to god it wont.

#19 Posted by VirtuaXav (450 posts) -

I'm hoping for a straight port. Dunno what'll happen with the extra screen tho, hopefully they can make use of it.

#20 Posted by Xero (159 posts) -

it's a port like what others have said, I wish they update the sprites though.

#21 Posted by VirtuaXav (450 posts) -

Yea true, the sprites may as well have been taken from the SNES version. I know it's a port, but show us the second screen! Unless they're trying to keep the use of the second screen a secret till release... Dunno why they'd do that tho.

#22 Posted by Chaos (96 posts) -
xavmeese said:
"Yea true, the sprites may as well have been taken from the SNES version. I know it's a port, but show us the second screen! Unless they're trying to keep the use of the second screen a secret till release... Dunno why they'd do that tho."
  I have not realized that your right. They have yet to show us anything of the second screen. it does make you wonder. I'm guessing the second screen will just be your stats. well I did find this while i was looking for any image of that second screen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.