Magus: Do you battle him or join him?

#1 Posted by Jarlaxle (51 posts) -

When you are given the chance to fight Magus to reclaim Frog's honor, did you do so on your first playthrough or did you have him join your party?

I had to have him in my group no matter how much I liked Frog.  Between Crono, Magus, and Frog I just felt like that was my favorite team up of characters in any RPG to date. 

#2 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1048 posts) -

I did both. I can't remember which I did the first time through, though... And no, that dude is not my name-sake.

#3 Posted by roblopez (54 posts) -

Have him joined. I loved Frog also but yeah, Magus is way too cool. Plus having some rivalry in your party brings a little extra something to the story.

#4 Posted by Feanor (1391 posts) -

Magus is to strong to pass up.  His Dark Matter attack will be hitting all parts of lavos for over 2k.

#5 Posted by Light_Geiger (54 posts) -

I have chose both options but typically side with magus (his spells can't be beat)

My usuall team is Chrono, Marle, and Magus

#6 Posted by Jarlaxle (51 posts) -
Feanor said:
"Magus is to strong to pass up.  His Dark Matter attack will be hitting all parts of lavos for over 2k."
Dark Matter and then Luminare will just totally destroy everything.  The third character only needs to heal.  I like to use Frog for that just for the history involved.
#7 Edited by Omega (836 posts) -

Wait, you guys are talking as if you lose Frog if you get Magus to join.

It's been awhile, but I know I've had a party with Frog and Magus.

Anyway, to answer your question I had him join. But Frog is better than everyone...except possibly Crono.

#8 Posted by madsnake (21 posts) -

Yeah, my first post in the site is about Crono Trigger, i remeber that i save in that part and play it both ways, first with Magus on my team, then without him, he is to damn strong, Crono, Magus and Marle were my most used team for the rest of the game and in the final battle.

#9 Posted by Mac (71 posts) -

Totally have him join, if only for completion. I also used a party of Magus, Crono and Frog. Seems like a really popular group.

#10 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -

I had him join me. What can I say?
I felt bad for the kid.

#11 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

It is pretty easy to get through the Black Omen three times with Magus in your party. So yeah, I always had him join my party. Enigmatic + Powerful = Keeper.

#12 Edited by ValkyrieGoddess (1922 posts) -

Magus is a pretty good character and when you equip him with the Black rock and put Marle and Lucca in your group he gets even better.

#13 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

I wasn't even aware you could get him to join you the first time.....

#14 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -

I hated Frog.

#15 Posted by Keyser_Soze (1186 posts) -

I kill Magus for fun, but for Frog I carved him up real nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.