The Contrast wiki last edited by ObjectiveCaio on 09/03/14 10:32AM
View full history
Set in a noir art deco atmosphere, the player controls a young detective, Dawn, who is able to move in 3D or flatten herself against walls so she becomes a silhouette that can jump between shadows like in a 2D platformer. There is control over different light sources in the 3D world (spotlights, film projectors, etc) to create the proper shadow platformer paths to reach new areas in the 2D world.
The idea for the game came to creator, Guillaume Provost, in a coffee shop in Lyon, France when he was working as a freelancer for Arkane Studios.
"I used to be a rendering programmer when I used to write code, so I thought about a lot of physical and/or graphical novel ways of interacting with games, and that's how the idea sparked," he says in a 1UP interview. "I can't say 'I saw a shadow on a wall' and had this sudden boom of an idea. I was basically sitting in a café when I got the original idea, and I built up from that."
There are two main characters, an older girl Dawn that you control, and a younger girl Didi who you meet in a train station. She is discovered to have a dysfunctional family with a recently murdered mother and an estranged father. "She's asking the player to change the course of past events in order to mend her family. And that's a little bit the theme of the whole game," says Guillaume Provost.
Along side Sony's announcement that Drive Club would be delayed past the PS4 launch Sony also confirmed that Contrast would be available on PSN Instant Games Collection instead of Drive Club PSN Edition.
- OS: WINDOWS XP SP2/WINDOWS VISTA SP1/WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS 8
- Processor: AMD/INTEL DUAL-CORE 2.3 GHz
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512MB VRAM, COMPATIBLE DIRECTX 9.0C AND SHADER MODEL 3.0, AMD RADEON X2600 XT/NVIDIA GEFORCE 7900 GTX
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
- Sound Card: DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE
- Additional Notes: The Original Soundtrack and the Programme (Artwork, Dev. Diary) will be placed in your CONTRAST folder in the Steam Directory: ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\Contrast\CONTRAST_Programme-OST