Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 21, 2012

The fourth iteration of Valve's team-based modern-military first-person shooter, rebuilt and constantly expanded for competitive play with new maps, new weapons, and new gameplay mechanics. It was later made free-to-play and most versions were later replaced with the sequel.

This private beta is retarded.

• 91 results
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By adoggz

i think its good that the cod kids are in the beta, that way valve can listen to everything they want and do the exact opposite.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By DG991

@GunslingerPanda said:

Might skip the beta then, wait for iron sights to be implemented.

Joke, I'll wait for the CoD babbies to fuck off.

OP, check out the Tribes: Ascend beta. Seems to have a solid community thanks to not being flavour-of-the-month-modern-military-fps. There's a thread on /v/ with everyone giving away keys.

I've been in the Tribes: Ascend beta for some time. imo the F2P things they have put in the game have ruined it. "buying" a vehicle should be like it is in Tribes 2. But that is a different discussion entirely.

@Jack268 said:

The wrong people got in

Can't really say this since there's probably 2 of the "right people" for every "wrong people". The wrong people may just be more vocal. And every big name from the CS pro scene has been invited, so I'd say the right people got in too. It's the same as people complaining about the DotA 2 beta when pretty much anyone who should be invited by virtue of being good at the game was invited before Gamescom.

@wh1terav3n said:

Should this thread be called, "The People in the Beta are Retarded"?

@Mikemcn said:

That's dumb, but i honestly don't know who would say that, unless they just let in people who own Call of Duty and not CS. How do you even get in the beta?

The legit top tier pro CS players on ESEA got private beta keys. I've seen a few playing. And some people who know people got invited.

COD + Other non CS people went to IEM NY and other live events and were handed Private beta keys. They now stream on twitch.tv and get thousands of views of people catching a glimpse of the new CS. And they are constantly bitching about stuff like this.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By ComradeKhan
    @OneManX said:

@rebgav said:

@Dagbiker said:
    But the people who havent played CS want iorn sights.
    Then they have plenty of other games to play. I don't understand why people would want to see yet another franchise homogenized to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Let CS be CS, at least then you'll have another multiplayer shooter option on consoles rather than another CoD-like.

Really?

Like Really?

No one is saying add in perks, killstreaks, choppers, tanks, etc. It's just Iron-sights. Does that really "ruin" CS in any real way. Also as kinda stated earlier, why not make CS:Go for people who never played CS? All the vets are gonna be on CS1.6 or CS:S.

Yes Really... Let CS be CS.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#54  Edited By beargirl1

that's dumb, but what can you expect? cod players who haven't played cs are gonna treat it like cod since they've never played cs. i played on a CS 1.6. server that had iron sight mods and man.. that shit was weird. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By nintendoeats

@AjayRaz said:

that's dumb, but what can you expect? cod players who haven't played cs are gonna treat it like cod since they've never played cs. i played on a CS 1.6. server that had iron sight mods and man.. that shit was weird.

Was it...fun?...

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ComradeKhan

Counter-Strike's quirkiness is what made it so beloved to begin with and not having iron sights is just one of its many quirks. CS has a very specific feel and style of play and as soon as you start adding features like iron sights [just because all the other modern shooters use them] you lose the magic.   

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Spoonman671

This is a dumb thing to get upset about.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#58  Edited By beargirl1
    @nintendoeats said:

@AjayRaz said:

Was it...fun?...

honestly, i wasn't even sure myself. it was on a zombie server so i was constantly hauling ass from zombies. there were also laser trip bombs everywhere so my vision was just full of lasers and on-screen text, along with explosions and screaming zombies everywhere. i don't know if it improved my accuracy or not. it was a mod, after all and i was pretty lousy at aiming in CS to begin with.  

now that i think about it.. yes, it was kinda fun because it was like a novelty thing. felt like i was actually hitting people.. kind of.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By nintendoeats

@AjayRaz said:

@nintendoeats said:

@AjayRaz said:

Was it...fun?...

honestly, i wasn't even sure myself. it was on a zombie server so i was constantly hauling ass from zombies. there were also laser trip bombs everywhere so my vision was just full of lasers and on-screen text, along with explosions and screaming zombies everywhere. i don't know if it improved my accuracy or not. it was a mod, after all and i was pretty lousy at aiming in CS to begin with.

now that i think about it.. yes, it was kinda fun because it was like a novelty thing. felt like i was actually hitting people.. kind of.

My god, I miss the days when all games were moddable.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By mikemcn

@nintendoeats said:

@AjayRaz said:

@nintendoeats said:

@AjayRaz said:

Was it...fun?...

My god, I miss the days when all games were moddable.

I've played CS with iron sights, and yea, it's wicked strange, I wonder if CS:Go will be moddable, it should be, it is still a source game after all.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By nintendoeats

@Mikemcn: Valve knows their audience.

Slydotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By Slydotcom

@OneManX: The problem with your idea is that GO is supposed to move 1.6 out of the Esport scene and just take over.. that's their goal with it.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By zaglis
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ch3burashka

You're absolutely right: the beta is inherently retarded because people are complaining about lack of features that never were in CS.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Bawlsz

@emergency said:

@SirPsychoSexy

@OneManX said:

@rebgav said:

@Dagbiker said:
    Then they have plenty of other games to play. I don't understand why people would want to see yet another franchise homogenized to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Let CS be CS, at least then you'll have another multiplayer shooter option on consoles rather than another CoD-like.

Really?

Like Really?

No one is saying add in perks, killstreaks, choppers, tanks, etc. It's just Iron-sights. Does that really "ruin" CS in any real way. Also as kinda stated earlier, why not make CS:Go for people who never played CS? All the vets are gonna be on CS1.6 or CS:S.

Adding Iron sights would completely change the fundamentals of how CS plays. It would be a new game entirely.

Can't believe how long it took for someone to finally state this. Iron sights is a design choice, not merely a preference. In CS there is no 'hip' fire as such just one mode. You are always ready to shoot dudes, the thing you change is technique not right clicking to look down iron sights. If there was iron sights then you'd have to make other changes like when zoomed in you move slower etc. When will people realise CS is a niche and polished shooter that needs to keep its core to be successful.

There was a similar article not too long ago on why Halo doesn't have iron sights, and this is pretty much the reason why. Adding iron sights would change the whole game, it would slow the pace down making it not the game the fans know, and it would lose something that made it special.

Honestly, is the any need to add iron sights? if you can't play games without it, than adapt to playing a new/different type of game, or carry on playing whatever you are comfortable with.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Andorski

Honestly, CS:GO will be an utter failure unless it's just CS1.6 repackaged so I can pay Valve for the same game again.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By nintendoeats

@Andorski said:

Honestly, CS:GO will be an utter failure unless it's just CS1.6 repackaged so I can pay Valve for the same game again.

The same game...but prettier!

Seriously though, if they can make a small number of additions without radically altering the game, that alone will be a significant achievement. I'm very curious to see what the new weapons and game modes are.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By Buscemi
    @JasonR86: How do you have fun without winning? What kind of mumbo jumbo did your parents teach you? That life's not about winning? You must be writing this from some sad long-forgotten cubicle in a labyrinth of cubicles. If you don't win, then you lose. That's the game. Don't settle for less than great.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By JasonR86

@Titus:

I don't believe in the "If you're not first you're last" mentality.

I also have a lot of trophies in my house given to me based off of my efforts and not my achievements.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Buscemi
    @JasonR86: Medals for participating? That's great. It's not really about absolutely having to be first. It's more about trying your hardest to be first. Why decide to be mediocre? It's better to try and always be better. In no way am I the greatest CS player, but I strive to be the best in a particular match, or the best in my team. Isn't that a good thing?
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#71  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Please say 'tarded, it's very insensitive to say retarded.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#72  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, I guess its good that CS:GO doesn't have iron sights. Really though, it doesn't matter to me because I almost guarantee you that people who have been playing Counter Strike for the past 10 years will still continue to destroy anyone who hasn't, assuming they decide to leave their caves and settle for a better looking version of a version of the game that they've already rejected.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By JasonR86

@Titus said:

@JasonR86: Medals for participating? That's great. It's not really about absolutely having to be first. It's more about trying your hardest to be first. Why decide to be mediocre? It's better to try and always be better. In no way am I the greatest CS player, but I strive to be the best in a particular match, or the best in my team. Isn't that a good thing?

I think there's a difference between trying to do the best you can versus being the freak who yells and bitches at everyone else if he/she comes in second. I want to play games with people who are there to do the best they can but, first and foremost, are there to have fun. What ruins so many online games for me, especially online shooters, is that so many team-based games are filled with people who feel as if their lives and reputation are on the line with every match. For those people, the game isn't about having fun and enjoying the mechanics and the people you're playing with. The game is about coming in first. I always feel sad for those people because I get the sense that they are just miserable little people. That they play these games not for enjoyment but out of routine as if they are getting into matches because it is on their schedule and they are miserable unless they are ahead of everyone else. I don't want to play games with those people.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By nintendoeats

@JasonR86: @Titus: I don't even know what you guys are arguing about any more, but lets clear the air a little bit.

Outside of competitive play, Counterstrike is the most relaxed multiplayer game that I have ever played. On the majority of servers, everybody is just looking to have a good time. Wins, losses and KDAs are not especially important. HOWEVER, obviously everybody is trying to win. If players weren't putting in some kind of effort to play well, the game would be boring for everybody involved.

You can not take the game seriously AND try to do well at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive attitudes.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JasonR86

@nintendoeats said:

@JasonR86: @Titus: I don't even know what you guys are arguing about any more, but lets clear the air a little bit.

Outside of competitive play, Counterstrike is the most relaxed multiplayer game that I have ever played. On the majority of servers, everybody is just looking to have a good time. Wins, losses and KDAs are not especially important. HOWEVER, obviously everybody is trying to win. If players weren't putting in some kind of effort to play well, the game would be boring for everybody involved.

You can not take the game seriously AND try to do well at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive attitudes.

I don't think we're arguing dude. We were just talking about online shooters and the impression I got about counter-strike based solely off of this thread. Plus, if you read my second comment to Titus you would see that I'm in complete agreement with how you described you're experience with CS. You just worded differently. So...yeah.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mesklinite

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Are these the same people who get mad that they have to sit out the entire game when they die at the start?

Probably. And the ones that don't understand why you need to buy weapons at the beginning of every round.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By nintendoeats

@JasonR86: Yeah, I didn't see that until after I posted mine. Anyway, I'm just trying to keep this thread amicable. You know, the thread with the word retarded in the title.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#78  Edited By blackbird415

@Subjugation: thats probably one reason why people are complaining about iron sights :p they just cant hold up. Counterstrike will make you better at shooters. If I play some call of duty and am sucking I just jump into cs, practice a little, get my reflexes alive, awake, and ready. Then cod becomes so friggin' easy.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Buscemi
    @nintendoeats: We're not really arguing. just discussing. I am not a rock that can't change how I feel about something. Stones don't feel shit. 

@JasonR86

said:

@Titus said:

I think there's a difference between trying to do the best you can versus being the freak who yells and bitches at everyone else if he/she comes in second. I want to play games with people who are there to do the best they can but, first and foremost, are there to have fun. What ruins so many online games for me, especially online shooters, is that so many team-based games are filled with people who feel as if their lives and reputation are on the line with every match. For those people, the game isn't about having fun and enjoying the mechanics and the people you're playing with. The game is about coming in first. I always feel sad for those people because I get the sense that they are just miserable little people. That they play these games not for enjoyment but out of routine as if they are getting into matches because it is on their schedule and they are miserable unless they are ahead of everyone else. I don't want to play games with those people.

Well, I definitely see what you're getting at. I've played League of Legends for a long time, though I don't anymore, and it started out good, you know? It starts out fun, you play a new champion and it's nice to look at and learn all their unique spells and attacks. But gradually you realize that something is happening to you as a player. On one end your opponents are taunting you for failing in your lane, and where you would expect support from your own teammates you find the same response, if not worse. People hate to lose once they're accustomed to winning. And even worse, they hate to lose when it's not their fault. When it's the noob's fault that didn't know what he was doing. And that sucks. That really destroyed my enjoyment of the game, because at times LoL created some of the greatest gaming experiences I've had. There was no great story, no immersive characters, but there was immaculate teamwork. The joy you receive after a succesful gank or team battle can be priceless. That's all I'm saying. For me it's about trying to get to that point where you feel really great about yourself in the game. Where you feel, yeah, I'm pretty fucking good at this! But that's just me. 

And I'm sure that this is just as applicable to CS.
    benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#80  Edited By benjamimmy

I received a code for the beta by playing CS:GO at Eurogamer. I am a fan of Counter Strike and I agree that people complaining about iron sights are so dumb. It's Counter Strike! What has this world become?! =( 

I'm not great at the game and never have been, but I do enjoy it. I'm glad that they have stuck to their old ways of no iron sights and respawning after the round, etc. Go CS:GO!

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DG991

@KillaWolf13: I'm glad you got a copy, but it bums me a bit that most of the people getting access are getting it through live events.

They have a whole stats system that can check the amount of time you have put into CS. They can easily tell who deserves it via that.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Karl_Boss

@JasonR86 said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

@JasonR86: "Nope." - Engineer, Team Fortress 2

I don't know what that is supposed to imply dude.

Its just some dumb meme, ignore it.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#83  Edited By Cloudenvy

@emergency said:

@SirPsychoSexy

@OneManX said:

@rebgav said:

@Dagbiker said:

Really?

Like Really?

Adding Iron sights would completely change the fundamentals of how CS plays. It would be a new game entirely.

Can't believe how long it took for someone to finally state this. Iron sights is a design choice, not merely a preference. In CS there is no 'hip' fire as such just one mode. You are always ready to shoot dudes, the thing you change is technique not right clicking to look down iron sights. If there was iron sights then you'd have to make other changes like when zoomed in you move slower etc. When will people realise CS is a niche and polished shooter that needs to keep its core to be successful.

I think people realise that CS is pretty niche, but the whole point of this entire product seems to be to get new people into CS.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By emergency

@Cloudenvy said:

@emergency said:

@SirPsychoSexy

@OneManX said:

@rebgav said:

@Dagbiker said:

Really?

Like Really?

I think people realise that CS is pretty niche, but the whole point of this entire product seems to be to get new people into CS.

I'd rather they didn't completely change the fundamentals to accomplish that.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#85  Edited By Cloudenvy

@emergency said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@emergency said:

@SirPsychoSexy

@OneManX said:

@rebgav said:

@Dagbiker said:

Really?

Like Really?

They almost kind of have to at this point, or it probably isn't even worth trying.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By emergency

@Cloudenvy said:

@emergency said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@emergency said:

@SirPsychoSexy

@OneManX said:

@rebgav said:

@Dagbiker said:

Really?

Like Really?

They almost kind of have to at this point, or it probably isn't even worth trying.

I don't believe that they are really trying to target the 'new' audience as aggressively as you believe. They'd ideally love it if everyone who bought CS 1.6 and CSS loved this game so they all bought it. Cause combined those two groups are very large. With the modern graphics and new release a lot of people who want to know what CS is all about will end up buying it too. They need to keep the core the same, these are hardcore groups. I am certain that if they added ironsights they'd lose over 25% of those who would buy it without. Conservative barely comes close. Just look at how many still play 1.6 over css. They'll stick to whats best, and whats best is definately not a game with ironsights. Also, I don't really believe its worth trying to aim CS at a new market, it really has found its market and needs to play to it not make decisions that leave its followers behind.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#87  Edited By yagami

I wanna hear more about this. Are you limited to 2 Flashbangs 1 Smoke Grenade 1 High Explosive Grenade and 1 Molotov COCKTAIL.. Cock.... tail.. Cocktail..? Or how many grenades are you allowed to carry?

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Simplexity

Guys saying stupid shit on the internet?! Well I'm for one truly shocked by this.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#89  Edited By jakob187

On one hand, CS:GO has consistently been labeled by much of Valve as a "refresh" of the CS brand. Therefore, the exclusion of iron sights will seem like a complete misnomer to much of the modern gaming world. We understand the reasons that the feature is not in the game, but the rest of the world doesn't. CS is about a level of precision and timing that you are not going to find in stuff like Call of Duty or Modern Warfare.

At the same time, CS will be CS...no matter what. It's always been a different type of shooter, and it's not going to change that formula...as it would betray what CS is. They know why they don't have iron sights in the game, and they aren't going to break something that has proven to work well. Moreover, name one Valve FPS that uses iron sights.

Keep thinking...

...still waiting...

...that's right. None of Valve's games use iron sights, and yet they all happen to sell very well and are highly acclaimed. In turn, why fuck with something that ain't broken?

If people decide to not play the game because it doesn't have iron sights, then that's their right. They have a myriad of other games to choose from.

hooberschmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By hooberschmit

@Dagbiker: this is to reinvigorate the Esports scene, because if this game doesnt catch on with the pros, CS is dead.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By DG991

@hooberschmit: Both Counter Strike 1.6 and Source are among the top played game on Steam, almost always in the top 10 if not 5 if not occasionally 2.

Steam is a major part of PC gaming (the only other relevant parties are Battlenet(blizzard) and origin games which is just BF3 atm), meaning a very large percentage of the PC gamers out there are playing some form of Counter strike.

CS:GO being a success would be a very very good thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.