Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Crysis 2: Getting Down And Dirty In New York City

• 113 results
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By emkeighcameron

Reminds me so much of the creepy sing-song Dead Space trailer

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By MadeinFinland

I am so pumped for this game.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I've just watched the whole interview, the story writer doesn't really get the medium of gaming that well, I hope his writing doesn't influence game design to a degree where it would change it. He said something like it's wrong to appeal to the lowest common denomintor for movies, yet avatar suceeded dispite that and so did alot of movies. I don't want obscurity for the game, i'm just saying i'm getting a feeling that the game will be better than warhead, however not better than the first crysis score wise. Multiplayer would be slightly better however I don't trust free radical at all to make it, also the story could easily ruin a game if it's like modern warfare 2 even if the gameplay is similar to the first game. I'm slightly skeptical right now, I hope the different direction was the right one, not just going sideways and slightly backwards, that's what i'm seeing now.   

I stand by my statement, watch him mess up the game and make another modern warfare 2. Only time will tell if i'm right or wrong about it.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Jayzilla

One of the best trailers I have seen this year. That cover of the Sinatra classic captured the mood perfectly.

Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By Earthborn

I can dig it.

ryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By ryuken

I'm new to Crysis and I'm looking forward to this big time. I liked the trailer except for the song.....lame. let me clarify, the song is not shit, but the trailer and song combined, I didn't feel it.  leaving old blue eye at the helm would have worked better.

Now the spec ops (the line) trailer with the bjork song was a good example of how to mix violence with smooth girl singing song. That one gave me the chills it was so awesome.  oh yeah whats up with the supersuit dude zoning out while soldiers get slaughtered right behind him? missing wifey/kid/hermano maybe?
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Brendan

Good interview, but my concentration was strained to the beaking point by the end by the guys accent.  Also, Brad is the only staff member that doesn't automatically do the handshake at the end of the interview.  He really needs to do that.
    Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Monkeyman04

It seems neat and all, but I would love to see this type of game set in a different city....Like Portland,Or. I don't think I have ever seen a game based in there. It's probably because not too many people can identify with it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I've just watched the whole interview, the story writer doesn't really get the medium of gaming that well, I hope his writing doesn't influence game design to a degree where it would change it. He said something like it's wrong to appeal to the lowest common denomintor for movies, yet avatar suceeded dispite that and so did alot of movies. I don't want obscurity for the game, i'm just saying i'm getting a feeling that the game will be better than warhead, however not better than the first crysis score wise. Multiplayer would be slightly better however I don't trust free radical at all to make it, also the story could easily ruin a game if it's like modern warfare 2 even if the gameplay is similar to the first game. I'm slightly skeptical right now, I hope the different direction was the right one, not just going sideways and slightly backwards, that's what i'm seeing now.  

"
    I agree though I'm not skeptical.  That writer's point of view is pretty green when it comes to the games industry.  If there even is possible a comparison between movies and games (which I sincerely doubt there is), it's more logical to say this is like the mid to late 30s when the studio system really got established.  EA is like MGM and Activision is like Warners of the day with Nintendo, MS and Sony being more like the theatre, film, audio and camera technology production companies who were all competing with eachother as colour films began to come into their own.  Still, it's rather sad that a science fiction writer needs to draw almost impossible parallels between one industry's evolution and another's.  Isn't he meant to have better ideas than the average person?  

Also, his lowest common denominator speech is just garbage and just shows how little he knows of the industry he's now working in.  There have been many financially successful games dating well back into the early 80s which did not have simplistic stories such as the Zork series, Planetfall and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy games all of which were text adventures so writing was paramount in their cases.  In more modern times many games have been extremely well written such as Another World, Flashback, Outcast, Half Life, Half Life2 and so on.  All of them doing what's he saying he's doing by creating worlds and then hinting at aspects which are not directly in the worlds of the games themselves.  I think he really needs to do some real research and realise that many people have already done what he has many times over and much more successfully.  He needs to play a Bioware epic before he goes off talking about not appealling to the lowest common denominator because Mass Effect 2 manages to straddle both schools of thought extremely well offering extremely fun pew pew gameplay and high level concept scifi.  Fuck it, I'm gonna email Cervat and tell him what I think of his so called writer.
    Kinggi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Kinggi

Thought that was fantastic. Really well done!!

TinaWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TinaWood

I don't have a gaming PC, so I guess I'll just have to get the 360 game : /

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @TinaWood:  I'd guess it'll be pretty close to the PC version based on the vids of I've seen of the map designer working on all three systems at the same time.
    crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By crusnchill

I've just had a "p-zing!" type of moment!
    That last guy, Richard Morgan, has now helped me to understand why MW2's story is so damn ludicrous and nonsensical.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By TomA

Two points 

1:I am REALLY fucking excited for this game, but the trailer wasn't so great, i don't like soft songs in action game trailers(except for the Mad World Gears of War trailer). 

2: I forgot they were making this game for consoles:( That means they will be dumbing it down for console players who can't seem to understand how to use 4 different types of powers.

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Curufinwe

Cevat Yerli is the coolest dude in game development.

Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Earthborn
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

"

Not sure Avatar is "lowest common denominator" -- it's no Transformers 2. In any case, point taken. But from hearing the writer, I'd say he absolutely knows what gaming is about - he knows that writing for games is an ever changing, fluid process that cannot compare to TV, film, or novel writing. Keep in mind that he is a novelist - SF novelist - and wants to "transfer" writing skills from novel to game. He'll probably expect some of what he knows to work, and some of what he knows will be wasted. He will definitely run into problems, because the two disciplines are not identical.  His comparison to the early days of cinema are rather stunning to me; I thought the NES, SNES, Genesis days were "Golden," but he's right when he says even now studios don't have "standard" ways of doing things. I actually take a great deal of comfort in that. If everyone's figuring how to acommodate writing in games, then that keeps the industry from becoming stagnant and turning into another Film industry, where remakes or reduxes of foreign films has become a poisonous trend. I would have liked to see him actually name drop some games he felt had successful writing; we all know that sometimes studios succeed (Bioshock, HL2, GTA: San Andreas, Braid) and sometimes they fall flat on their faces. That said, I absolutely agree that Free Radical has been anything bur reliable in their last few attempts, and this game, despite the nifty video, feels a little derivative. The video kind of reminds me of the feeling I got from playing Project: Snowblind back on my Xbox. Also, the sinewy exo-skeleton is kind of off-putting for me, personally.  =P
    bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By bjorno

that trailer was fucking STUPID and SHITTY

Avatar image for nihilisticmonkey
    nihilisticmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By nihilisticmonkey
    @HitmanAgent47: Dude, he said if you aim for lowest common denominator, your art will be low....Avatar certainly ain't good art. I actually thing this chap spoke some real truth about the way game fiction should go, and I really liked the cut of his jib.
    Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Curufinwe
    @bjorno:   You're an assclown with zero taste.  GTFO.
    Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By imayellowfellow

awesome interview

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By captain_clayman

OH MAN 
    this looks amazing 

hope the story is (at least close to) as good as the graphics! 

plus the song gave me goosebumps

eXists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#72  Edited By eXists

Great stuff!
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jackel2072

i like that  Richard Morgan. Seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

WhatTheDang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By WhatTheDang

A creepy rendition of a blatantly symbolic song while the camera pans through a deserted city? Really? 

Try harder, next time. 

Killaman996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Killaman996

You know i remember Crysis when they put it on the PC great graphics but the gameplay was not all that great for me. Games can have the most amazing graphics and turn out to be just a mediocre game.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Zajtalan

yea that trailer sucked they tried to make it all emotional but failed

Robopengy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Robopengy

Another game in New York? Why couldn't it take place in Shanghai? 

RocketCoinT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By RocketCoinT

Is it just me or are the graphics pretty awesome..EXCEPT for everyone's faces. They just look so...blech

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Killaman996: Your not suppose to play it like call of duty 4, your suppose to think using the nano suit powers. That's why you didn't like it, however it's still 90% on gamerankings, the gameplay is obviously good enough.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jackel2072
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

"
    I agree though I'm not skeptical.  That writer's point of view is pretty green when it comes to the games industry.  If there even is possible a comparison between movies and games (which I sincerely doubt there is), it's more logical to say this is like the mid to late 30s when the studio system really got established.  EA is like MGM and Activision is like Warners of the day with Nintendo, MS and Sony being more like the theatre, film, audio and camera technology production companies who were all competing with eachother as colour films began to come into their own.  Still, it's rather sad that a science fiction writer needs to draw almost impossible parallels between one industry's evolution and another's.  Isn't he meant to have better ideas than the average person?  

Also, his lowest common denominator speech is just garbage and just shows how little he knows of the industry he's now working in.  There have been many financially successful games dating well back into the early 80s which did not have simplistic stories such as the Zork series, Planetfall and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy games all of which were text adventures so writing was paramount in their cases.  In more modern times many games have been extremely well written such as Another World, Flashback, Outcast, Half Life, Half Life2 and so on.  All of them doing what's he saying he's doing by creating worlds and then hinting at aspects which are not directly in the worlds of the games themselves.  I think he really needs to do some real research and realise that many people have already done what he has many times over and much more successfully.  He needs to play a Bioware epic before he goes off talking about not appealling to the lowest common denominator because Mass Effect 2 manages to straddle both schools of thought extremely well offering extremely fun pew pew gameplay and high level concept scifi.  Fuck it, I'm gonna email Cervat and tell him what I think of his so called writer. "

I think your missing one of the bigger points he made. The writer needs to be involved in the game making process in order for it to succeed from a strictly narrative prospective. Mass Effect 2 is a great example. Bioware needed to have both the writers and the designers on the same level to really create what they wanted. If you write a script hand it over to a dev and then check back 6 months later it will be a mess! Levels and game play ideas get cut all the time. and what was once a cohesive story is now fragmented and in need of patch work. Mass Effect and Heavy Rain both needed to have the story and game play worked on side by side order to deliver what we have today. The point he is really trying to make, is that story telling in games is always changing and always evolving and if the game play and the narrative can’t sit on the same level the narrative will fall apart, but the game play can still stand on its own. Thus the Porn and Plot reference.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jackel2072:   I didn't miss his point, I just think his point reflects his naivete because narrative in games is not exactly new and if you actually got my point you'd realise that I know what I'm talking about by referencing some of the oldest franchises in gaming history which go back to the days when computer games didn't have anything BUT narrative.  Story telling indeed must change and by able to reflect dynamism in modern games, I just don't think this dude is going to be one of those who'll be able to do so effectively as his gaming experience stretches back less than a decade. 
    Advertisement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Advertisement

I like how Richard Morgan is being frank about stuff. cool guy

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jackel2072
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Jackel2072:   I didn't miss his point, I just think his point reflects his naivete because narrative in games is not exactly new and if you actually got my point you'd realise that I know what I'm talking about by referencing some of the oldest franchises in gaming history which go back to the days when computer games didn't have anything BUT narrative.  Story telling indeed must change and by able to reflect dynamism in modern games, I just don't think this dude is going to be one of those who'll be able to do so effectively as his gaming experience stretches back less than a decade.  "

The Text Based adventures you speak of are not relevant in this discussion. For he was commenting on the way game stories are perceived today. Im sure the games you mentioned have great stories and were amazing and dazzled the imagination. But, those are not the games of the last decade. Those are not MW2 Halo and just about any other big money maker out there today. He was commenting on the industry of the last 10 years or so. The stories in games today are lacking in some area’s compared to other forums of narrative (its big seller’s any ways). in a nut shell I don’t think him or Crysis 2 will be an amazing work of fiction, but I do think he has the right idea. Im sorry im cutting this short, Maybe another time we can argue the finer points of story in video games but im sleepy. Il say this you do bring up some great points your self. Not everything the man said was rite, but I don’t feel everything he said was wrong either.

by all means PM and we can continue this later =)
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By bybeach

Ehhhhh, didn't care for that trailer much. I enjoyed the first two Crysis, especially the second one, Great graphics and competent gameplay and story. I liked the Suit basics,. But it's all starting to feel tired. I know  it's just a trailer,and console at that, which means these days it's usually still worth it. Something I'll keep in mind if it's gpu performance hungry, and I just do not feel justified in buying a new card(s). 

Mabe it's because i'm wandering the Capital wasteland right now in an inferior graphics open world  game, and just absolutly loving it.
    honey_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By honey_power

So, do you play as Barrett?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#86  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

This is being penned by Richard Morgan?  That's all sorts of fucking awesome.  He's my favorite sci-fi writer and one hell of a novelist.
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By teh_destroyer

wow, i need to go change my pants now.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#88  Edited By KillyDarko

Trailer failure alert! lol
    I'm still looking forward to the PC version of the game, though.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Potter9156

Hey guys! Lets send in helicopters and common infantry dudes to fight the alien robots that can shoot lasers 'n' shit!  Also, why is Mr. Nanosuit sulking around looking at pictures of dead people, when he could have helped the perfectly living helicopter dudes? Some supersoldier. 

Dumb trailer. Looked pretty.

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By EliasT

That will DESTROY my computer.

LAKERBOY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By LAKERBOY

More Crysis!  I'm pumped!
    andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By andrewf87462

I will be building the ultimate PC as soon as this is released. It's gonna be awesome!

supalink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#93  Edited By supalink

Did they just make the aliens from the last game into humanoid forms?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By FunExplosions
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    "I agree though I'm not skeptical.  That writer's point of view is pretty green when it comes to the games industry.  If there even is possible a comparison between movies and games (which I sincerely doubt there is), it's more logical to say this is like the mid to late 30s when the studio system really got established.  EA is like MGM and Activision is like Warners of the day with Nintendo, MS and Sony being more like the theatre, film, audio and camera technology production companies who were all competing with eachother as colour films began to come into their own.  Still, it's rather sad that a science fiction writer needs to draw almost impossible parallels between one industry's evolution and another's.  Isn't he meant to have better ideas than the average person?  

Also, his lowest common denominator speech is just garbage and just shows how little he knows of the industry he's now working in.  There have been many financially successful games dating well back into the early 80s which did not have simplistic stories such as the Zork series, Planetfall and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy games all of which were text adventures so writing was paramount in their cases.  In more modern times many games have been extremely well written such as Another World, Flashback, Outcast, Half Life, Half Life2 and so on.  All of them doing what's he saying he's doing by creating worlds and then hinting at aspects which are not directly in the worlds of the games themselves.  I think he really needs to do some real research and realise that many people have already done what he has many times over and much more successfully.  He needs to play a Bioware epic before he goes off talking about not appealling to the lowest common denominator because Mass Effect 2 manages to straddle both schools of thought extremely well offering extremely fun pew pew gameplay and high level concept scifi.  Fuck it, I'm gonna email Cervat and tell him what I think of his so called writer. "
    SeriouslyNow makes many good points. You should all agree. I do think you're bein' a little mean, though. I mean, yeah, he's extremely naive, but he's probably goin' into games with the same mindset some of those games' writers had. ...Which is a good thing. My mind kept screaming "Mass Effect" and "Half-Life" the whole way through that interview, but at least the guy's giving this game his all. And yeah, the guy needs to at least stop working for a week and just play through the first Mass Effect. Since he's a science fiction writer, that game should make him orgasm.

Other than that... I am Legend? Seriously? That movie was cool, but it was hardly anything that a science fiction writer should be praising. And I really hope Brad asked him to play Mass Effect after that interview ended.
    Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#95  Edited By Spiritof

Crysis Dude has muscles on top of his butt muscles.

Sir-Mix-A-Lot would approve.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @FunExplosions said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

"I agree though I'm not skeptical.  That writer's point of view is pretty green when it comes to the games industry.  If there even is possible a comparison between movies and games (which I sincerely doubt there is), it's more logical to say this is like the mid to late 30s when the studio system really got established.  EA is like MGM and Activision is like Warners of the day with Nintendo, MS and Sony being more like the theatre, film, audio and camera technology production companies who were all competing with eachother as colour films began to come into their own.  Still, it's rather sad that a science fiction writer needs to draw almost impossible parallels between one industry's evolution and another's.  Isn't he meant to have better ideas than the average person?  

SeriouslyNow makes many good points. You should all agree. I do think you're bein' a little mean, though. I mean, yeah, he's extremely naive, but he's probably goin' into games with the same mindset some of those games' writers had. ...Which is a good thing. My mind kept screaming "Mass Effect" and "Half-Life" the whole way through that interview, but at least the guy's giving this game his all. And yeah, the guy needs to at least stop working for a week and just play through the first Mass Effect. Since he's a science fiction writer, that game should make him orgasm.

Other than that... I am Legend? Seriously? That movie was cool, but it was hardly anything that a science fiction writer should be praising. And I really hope Brad asked him to play Mass Effect after that interview ended. "
    Thanks mate.  Yeah, I probably am being a little harsh but really, Crysis 1's story was pretty good in terms of exposition and context, it portaryed expansionist world politics and alien interests together quite effectively as a backdrop to the combat, so I find myself frustrated that Crytek felt the need to employ a person who thinks "I Am Legend" (a remake of "The Omega Man" which itself was a dumbed version of a reasonably interesting (yet poorly written) science fiction story) is a good science fiction movie because it really wasn't.  THAT movie indeed appealed to the lowest common denominator opting for action in place of thoughtfulness, especially in light of the fact that lead character died in movie print by going out in a schlocky hollywood 'blaze of glory' but really survives in the story it's based on because he realises that the proto human vampires have just as much right to exist as he does.

I get worried when writers claim that their impact will bring new ideas and higher concepts to gaming.  Character driven gaming has pretty much always been high concept from the text adventures I mention through to even simple side scrolling platformers like Metroid, let alone all the more modern examples including HL, Mass Effect and the rest.  Games don't lack for good writing or good writers, they lack people who are able to straddle both worlds of fiction creation and game development and for that to happen we need game writers whose experience stretches back beyond a decade.   If not, we'll be constantly assailed by people who lack experience who keep reinventing the same old wheels.
    Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#97  Edited By chilipeppersman

this looks ok, but i might need to see some more footage and things. i intensley disliked the crysis expansion, so i hope they go back to what made the first one good and expand on it. i doubt they will do that though, since this is the first crysis game on consoles
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Gruff182

Im glad Crytek will finally get the mass appreciation they deserve.

Atleast now console gamers can give an informed opinion of the game. Nothing annoyed me more than the average comment and perception of "Crysis does have the best graphics but the gameplay and everything else is just average" Wrong!

Obviously not everyone loved the originals but I know most shooter fans that actually got to play the originals agree. Crysis and Warhead were damn good games!

On a side note, I really hope Psycho is back.

brassmarsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By brassmarsh

hmm...new york then    

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By BraveToaster

Sweeeetnesssss

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.