Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

So I just beat this and it was frustrating as hell.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By CastroCasper

I got this game about a week and a half ago and loved it right away. It is like if someone went and made a divine comedy mod for God of War. If you like God of War like me then perfect! Anyway everything was going great until about the last 20% of the game. I was playing on the middle difficultly before unlocking the hardest and it seemed like towards the end of the game, the game itself tries to piss you off. I don't want to ruin anything, but damn, I don't remember the last time I was so furious at a game. After the game gave me a hint or two, and reminded me that I can turn down the difficultly, I gave up and went to look at a walkthrough, because every strategy I have tired failed worse then the one before it. The real kicker is all the walkthroughs I can find are all on the easiest difficulty, with the player breezing through the levels.  I told myself this morning when I got up that I would beat it and damn it, I finally did. After yelling at my TV and almost destroying a Xbox controller, I got to the end. After you unlock the Gates of Hell, which is pretty much a timed survival mode where enemies come at you in waves. I fought my hardest, using everything I learned and all my skills until I finally died at wave 9. Curious, I went online to see exactly how many waves there were.....50........50 fucking waves. Dante's Inferno, you were great at the start, but fuck you Dante's Inferno, fuck you.

Azure_Valkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Azure_Valkyrie

This seems to be the general consensus. The game starts well, and gradually loses it's edge.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

If the game was too difficult, yet you persevered without making it easier, then it's not really a fault of the game. It's not like there are any achievements for beating it on a higher difficulty.

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mariek430

Lust and Violence were pretty enjoyable, everything else was lack luster.
     As for gates of hell though I beat it with 10 or so minutes left on the clock, just use Divine Armor and spam the cross.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It was a really hard game on hellish difficulty and I admit, quite a few times I had to turn down the difficulty a notch, but its not like there are achievements for beating it on higher difficulty levels so it really dosent matter. I dont know why people say the game loses its edge, I thought the end levels were a lot of fun.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Whisperkill

you were frustrated when beating? hehehe

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CastroCasper
    @Binman88: That is true, but I felt that I got this far that I am not going to let the game beat me ya know? It just seemed like the difficultly spiked, as opposed to a gradual gain.
    Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mariek430
    @kurtdyoung: I had something similar with Brutal Legends as it got kind of annoying near the end of it. For this game however it just wasn't fun enough for me to bother working that hard for the points. Actually just got done getting the last 3 achievements for it and forgot how much I disliked Greed.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hatking

Yeah hearing Ryan's complaints about the game on their ride home convinced me to take the game off my GameQ.  I don't need to play another game that is just going to annoy me, I wouldn't have sent back Darksiders if I wanted that.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayzilla

that's what happens when you turn classic literature that you don't have to pay licensing fees for into a game. You copy a game(God of War) and rape a poem and you get the bastard child of a game. Serves EA right for messing with two gems and trying to make a buck, instead of sticking with original IP's like they have been lately, that have been amazing(ME2, DragonAge, etc.)

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mariek430
    @Jayzilla: And their more then likely going to make at least one sequel too!
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Mariek430 said:
    " @kurtdyoung: I had something similar with Brutal Legends as it got kind of annoying near the end of it. For this game however it just wasn't fun enough for me to bother working that hard for the points. Actually just got done getting the last 3 achievements for it and forgot how much I disliked Greed. "
    Dude, Brutal Legend is sooooooo much better than Dante's Inferno. If you've mastered it's fairly simple RTS ruleset, it's also not unfairly hard.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By kraznor

Thing is, you were literally punishing yourself because there is absolutely no reason to play on any difficulty higher than Classic. The achievements don't demand it, its just you and your pride. I was going down that road for about three quarters of the game when it finally clicked. "What am I doing? There is literally NO reason to keep getting frustrated as no one will ever know what difficulty I finished it on anyway". I agree the game has some major problems but I hesitate to criticize it for problems caused by some weird sense of pride.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CastroCasper
    @Kraznor: Call me crazy but that must be what it is. I have no idea why I let myself go through that, and the achievement is just beating the game, so I could have done it on easy, but watching other people play on easy, it looked wayyyyy to easy. Easy should be easy, normal should be about what the first 80% of the game was, and hard should be what the last 20% was. I feel bad for anyone who beat it on the hardest difficultly, now thats crazy.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By kraznor

I guess it may be the same issue some had with Devil May Cry 3 in that the difficulties seem unbalanced. There is way to big a gap between Classic and Zealot. I went with Zealot most of the way because it was the default but I switched to Classic at one especially challenging moment and was shocked at how easy it is. Easy is way to easy, normal is much to hard, everything above that is just stupid.

DarkPredatorUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By DarkPredatorUK
    @kurtdyoung: I'll admit that a few parts were frustrating but i never ever felt any real anger, and as for the gates of hell you really need to upgrade your Cross shots if you wanna survive, along with the relic that allows your crosses to never be interrupted,  I got to level 31 last night  on first go only losing because of the damn timer which is stupid in my opinion.

Think I will trade this in soon as I've seen the story and have no desire to go through it again, it was sure good while it lasted though.
    Azure_Valkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azure_Valkyrie
    @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    "It was a really hard game on hellish difficulty and I admit, quite a few times I had to turn down the difficulty a notch, but its not like there are achievements for beating it on higher difficulty levels so it really dosent matter. I dont know why people say the game loses its edge, I thought the end levels were a lot of fun."

Some people said this because they felt the final stages simply don't have the same cinematic expieriences and flair of the earlier stages.
    Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Ujio

I agree with just about everything. When I first put the disc in I took a gander at the trophies and noticed there wasn't any for beating the game on a specific difficulty. "All right, I wasn't expecting that," I said to myself. 

But thinking I'm a bad ass I go ahead and select the hardest difficulty from the start. Well, it was going all right for the first level, but after that I was just getting raped. It wasn't even fun. So I decided to ratchet the difficulty down a notch to medium; surely I can breeze through that. Well, I did...up until the "Lust" level and the fight on the elevator with Cleopatra. Got my ass handed to me there. So I broke down and put the damn game on easy and that's how I played (and beat) the game last night.

It's a little disappointing that the difficulty in this game is so skewed. Easy is way too easy. Medium is fine for a while but gradually breaks you down. And I don't even  want to speculate how frustrating the hardest difficulty would be (especially concerning the latter levels).  Of course this isn't taking into account "Resurrection" mode which is ultimately New Game+ so I might try the game again (since I have to because I missed unlocking the trophies for collecting all the relics, pieces of silver and Beatrice stones) and see how it goes now that my character is maxed out on the holy track (have to also work on maxing out unholy).

I have yet to try the challenge rooms but I want to get the platinum for this game so I'll have to eventually. For now it was enough to say I beat the game.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman

That sounds like Gears of War horde mode. I don't think I'll ever get to round 50.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Ujio

I agree. It doesn't at all sound very appealing.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By amir90

I got through the 50 waves on my first tries, with 10 min, lol :P

Need advice on that?

If you personally don't mind setting the difficutlty down, then that cross smash attack in the air is extremly powerful!

I killed 99% of the enemies with that attack, I was like holy crap :P

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @kurtdyoung said:
    " I got this game about a week and a half ago and loved it right away. It is like if someone went and made a divine comedy mod for God of War. If you like God of War like me then perfect! Anyway everything was going great until about the last 20% of the game. I was playing on the middle difficultly before unlocking the hardest and it seemed like towards the end of the game, the game itself tries to piss you off. I don't want to ruin anything, but damn, I don't remember the last time I was so furious at a game. After the game gave me a hint or two, and reminded me that I can turn down the difficultly, I gave up and went to look at a walkthrough, because every strategy I have tired failed worse then the one before it. The real kicker is all the walkthroughs I can find are all on the easiest difficulty, with the player breezing through the levels.  I told myself this morning when I got up that I would beat it and damn it, I finally did. After yelling at my TV and almost destroying a Xbox controller, I got to the end. After you unlock the Gates of Hell, which is pretty much a timed survival mode where enemies come at you in waves. I fought my hardest, using everything I learned and all my skills until I finally died at wave 9. Curious, I went online to see exactly how many waves there were.....50........50 fucking waves. Dante's Inferno, you were great at the start, but fuck you Dante's Inferno, fuck you. "
    Online?
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By amir90

also, no one got the joke?

The game is frustrating as

hell

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By SSbabel

I managed to pass the game on the medium difficulty, the only part i found difficult was the final with Lucifer besides that it was a bit of a breeze. By the way i thought the game deserved better reviews now that's just my opinion.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c1337us

Yeah. Dante's Inferno Didn't end well, but I liked it enough.

Kojdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kojdog

Thanks for confirming that I don't need to buy this game.  Sounds bad and thanks for your sacrifice.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By cornbredx
    @SSbabel:
    Ya I passed it on the medium difficulty as well. I didnt have that much problems either. Thats not to say I didnt get frustrated, but my frustration didnt generallly have to do with the difficulty which was fine to me.
    Cocytus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cocytus

I assume you're referring to the Bolgias? I played the game on the easiest difficulty, and after beating it, think I'm gonna leave Infernal difficulty alone.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By amir90

I sent Ryan an email regarding his difficulty in finishing the game., Hopefully he will answer :P

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Same here, but I gave up because I'm a terrible person like that 

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Evilsbane

I am playing the game on medium and though I am not sure how far I have left to go (Riding really big red demon guy, fell down hole) I have had a couple of points of frustration but I am still having fun with the game, love the enviroments.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CastroCasper
     http://www.giantbomb.com/ryans-inferno/17-2074/

This is about when the games difficultly gets really out of whack. I kinda hope he doesn't beat it, because the next parts are just crap. And Ryan's holy level looks like it might be too low to even finish without blacking out.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By amir90

wtf man, that sentence was so wrong.

1) he did beat it, in the end.
    2) he was almost 100% unholy not holy
    3) he didn't use any good combos or magic, and started using redemption when jeff asked, what is down there.

and lastly, sry, but he is obviously did many wrong things, a lot of people finished that part with ease!

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CastroCasper
    @amir90: I was saying that around the 10 challenges ( a bit before) is when the difficulty starts to raise a lot faster. I am aware that his skills were focused on unholy, I am saying that he might need to have it the opposite. Having the holy skill near 100 percent maxed out and a few lucky shots is the only reason I think I beat the game.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By amir90

I understand, will you try to beat the game again, or  are ÿou going to sell it? :P

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#36  Edited By citizenkane

This game definitely feels like it will be really frustrating for me, but I will still play it because I love the mythology involved with the game(even though I assume that they will bastardize it some).

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jayzilla

Dumb game that rips off classic literature and fails at ripping off another game(God of War) is dumb.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Evilsbane
    @CitizenKane: There are some really kickass set pieces, and its all delightful bleak and weird (Lust is...yea) the combat isn't the deepest thing and to be honest the graphical quality changes every 10 minutes, it goes from "Oooh that looks rather cool" to "Oh wow is that some low res looking shit" but at the end of the day running around hell is a good bit of fun.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#39  Edited By citizenkane
    @Evilsbane:  As a reader of The Divine Comedy, I am interested in how they interpret the 9 Circles, which are pretty fucked up in the book.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Evilsbane
    @CitizenKane: Easily the best part of the game is seeing the different circles, some are a little lackluster but after Lust I don't think anything could be any stranger.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Binman88
    @CitizenKane said:
    " This game definitely feels like it will be really frustrating for me, but I will still play it because I love the mythology involved with the game(even though I assume that they will bastardize it some). "
    Play it on the easiest setting - there's no shame in it. The game will obviously not take as much time though on the easier setting - I'd guess 5 or 6 hours for your first playthrough on "Classic". For a rough idea, I completed my 3rd playthrough in about 2 and a half hours, with both trees maxed, spamming the holy cross attack. To compensate for the shortness of the game, make sure you concentrate on finding all the hidden relics and coins. A few of the relics alleviate some of the difficult challenges near the end of the game, and I found it quite fun to find them all. Once you finish the game, you'll have one tree maxed out and plenty of different relics to help you on any subsequent playthroughs on higher difficulties, if you so wish to play the game again.

Also, though the game sticks by the poem very loosely, I actually found the story, characters and setting of the game raised my interest in the source material, so much so that I began reading The Divine Comedy a week after finishing the game, and I'm really enjoying it (I'm a little over half way through Inferno). I'd imagine it should work the other way around too - having read the book first, I think you should enjoy how the game adapts it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.