Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

So what did you guys think of the dantes inferno demo?

• 104 results
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By RobotHamster

So I just got through the demo and thought it was ok, once it comes out I'm sure it'll be a much more solid game.  There were definitely many borrowed elements from God of War, but if your going to take stuff from games then do it from one of the best.  So for you PS3 owners out there, what did think of the demo?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

Christ, I didn't even realise the demo was up yet, thanks! I'll try download it tonight and give my impressions.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By handlas

thought it was awesome.  What was bad about it?  Only knock I could put against it is perhaps the graphics could be better.  Some of the characters look a little iffy up close.  But the part where you fight that big bull thing and take it over was awesome.

I loved the hand drawn cutscenes.

well when I sit back and think about it, it does take a bit too much from GoW perahps.  I mean, even one of the moves seems to be directly from GoW.  You hold triangle and smash the ground and then it automatically leaps up in the air with the enemy.  Exact same move is in GoW.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By RobotHamster
    @handlas: I didn't think it was bad, just the graphics and little things like the blood could have been better buts its just the demo so I know that it'll be polished and will look really good.  The hand drawn cutscenes were great. 

When you squint your eyes he kinda looks like Kratos. (just kidding)
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By MildMolasses

Just finished it. I loved it. The only thing I didn't like was that I had to keep tapping O everytime I hit a fountain. Why can't I just press a button once and be done with it? (And I already know the answer, so no one should feel the need to provide one). 

Other than that there was some slight graphical problems, but that just seems like a product of being a demo. It was most noticeable in the cutscenes, but that was obviously just the compression to make the download more managable. 

Also, from this point on I would like a moratorium on saying that this is a ripoff of GoW. The devs said flatout that they used thos games as inspiration, so there's no point in saying it because they already did
    Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dark_Jon

Downloading right now! I'll get back to you.

Edit: It was ok, really just ok.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1

THE DEMO'S OUT?! 

*runs to PS3* 

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Carlos1408

So I assume the demo's out only for PS3... :( lol 
    I really want to play this game.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Cube

I thought it was...good. The combat is kinda weak, feels lighter compared to God of War, and holy did they ever borrow from it. Big time ripoff but it's still fun.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AjayRaz said:
    " THE DEMO'S OUT?!  *runs to PS3*  "
    Well this, but running means I'm moving my hand to my controller and pushing a button 
    I'll play some tommorrow, I'm in no mood for games tonight
    AdventOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AdventOblivion

I thought it was okay... It is flat out a God of War clone which i wouldn't mind if it wasn't for God of War coming out so soon. I'm suprised to see people praising the animated cut scenes; once they get going theyre good, but i feel like they are taking me out of the experience a little bit when it transitions to them. Maybe its just me. I was a little disappointed by the graphics considering this is the studio that did dead space which looked amazing. Hmm, I don't know though. Gameplay was good but with GoW coming out so soon i think I'm gonna pass this one. Although it is cool to have a character with the same name is me.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By mosdl

I have to say, the game looks visually really good on the PS3.  Gotta figure out how to beat the first boss dude now.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's cooler than I thought it would be... 

But Bayonetta is better.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas
    @mosdl: I read another guy said he had problems with the first boss....wtf?  Are you guys not blocking?  Took me one try and he took probably less than 25% of my health.

If you just stand and block when he attacks it does no damage.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mosdl
    @handlas: It seems whenever I stop blocking, I barley get any hits before he starts again and I don't block in time.  Probably doing something stupid timing wise, but only tried twice :)
    KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By KinjiroSSD

Just finished and its not even a clone. Its like they reskinned GoW2. You can take that as a complaint but I loved GoW2 so I suppose I'm praising it for being as good as GoW 2. 

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By beargirl1

it feels EXACTLY like God of War imo, but I wouldn't know as i've only played the GoW PSP Demo. from that, it feels exactly the same. 

not that it's a bad thing, though. God of War is awesome and this was pretty fun to play , and the whole hell / demons / baby murder / morale choice thing seems fun. it might be the first 2010 buy for me. 

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ZmillA

are all the combat arenas just empty, flat planes? From the demo, does the game seem like it consist of nothing more than combat arenas and non eventful traversal to more combat arenas?

KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KinjiroSSD

The combat feels truncated but the skill tree lookslike it might resolve that. They could have shown a better level as it looked kinda flat.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By handlas
    @AjayRaz said:
    " it feels EXACTLY like God of War imo, but I wouldn't know as i've only played the GoW PSP Demo. from that, it feels exactly the same.  not that it's a bad thing, though. God of War is awesome and this was pretty fun to play , and the whole hell / demons / baby murder / morale choice thing seems fun. it might be the first 2010 buy for me.  "
    i've played God of War 1 and 2 and ...ya... the game really is basically God of War with different characters and a different story tbh.  Gameplay-wise it seems identical.  From the way the camera moves, to the combat, to the litlte green health fountains, to the quicktime button events (what are they called anyway?), to riding the back of that big bull enemy.

The one thing new it does that I thought was pretty kewl was being able to absorb or punish enemies.  But I guess that wouldn't work with Kratos since he is just plain mean.

Wonder if that Darksiders game is gonna release a demo.  It looks like God of War and Dante's Inferno as well gameplay-wise.  Comes out next month I think tho.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond

My thoughts :

Really blatant ripoff of Devil May Cry & God of War 
    The graphics are pretty bad, Bayonetta is a good deal better looking, let alone God of War 3 demo
    The CG cutscenes are amazingly well done, unfortunately they're really compressed
    Shameless use of nudity and gore, doesn't add to the game
    The upgrade menu is a mess
    Throwing crosses is pretty cool
    More button mashing focused, more like GoW than DMC or Bayonetta in this way, also easier than all 3

Looking like a definite pass for me

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By DanielJW

I liked the combat a lot. Some of the actions seemed to require unnecessary amounts of button mashing. The nudity seemed pandering, not tasteful. I don't know how I feel.  

Hoping a friend picks this up or something so I can try it a bit more before I decide. The combat was really fun.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

I thought it was great. Then again I have never played GoW. I might go buy the collection now. The holy and unholy skill trees and magic seem like it could add alot to the game. Some of you are saying it doesn't look that great but I thought it looked awesome on my 1080p tv. The cutscenes looked really good aswell.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

*taps foot in anticipation for 360 demo* 

This is bullshit...

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kingclaw
    @DanielJW said:
    " I liked the combat a lot. Some of the actions seemed to require unnecessary amounts of button mashing. The nudity seemed pandering, not tasteful. I don't know how I feel.  

Are you serious dude? i could expect anything from this game, but good taste isn´t one of the things we probably see. Come on there are fat naked things vomiting shit at you, and that is AWESOME
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DanielJW
    @kingclaw said:
    " @DanielJW said:
    " I liked the combat a lot. Some of the actions seemed to require unnecessary amounts of button mashing. The nudity seemed pandering, not tasteful. I don't know how I feel.  

Are you serious dude? i could expect anything from this game, but good taste isn´t one of the things we probably see. Come on there are fat naked things vomiting shit at you, and that is AWESOME "
    Elegantly put, but I want the Hell stuff to be gritty and gross, it's Hell. I'm talking about Beatrice. That could have been done tastefully, but it just seemed like they'd do anything to get a boob in the shot.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJOR64

I'm going to stick with Bayonetta.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kingclaw
    @DanielJW said:
    " @kingclaw said:
    " @DanielJW said:

Are you serious dude? i could expect anything from this game, but good taste isn´t one of the things we probably see. Come on there are fat naked things vomiting shit at you, and that is AWESOME "
    Elegantly put, but I want the Hell stuff to be gritty and gross, it's Hell. I'm talking about Beatrice. That could have been done tastefully, but it just seemed like they'd do anything to get a boob in the shot. "
     "I like boobs"
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DanielJW
    @kingclaw: Sir, I happen to like boobs too. And let me tell you, these were nice boobs. But; the way they did it took away from the tone of the story for me. As soon as I started to feel for Dante, I got a boob shoved in my face. 
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions

Downloading this now. Looking forward to seeing if all those goateed developers' excitement was well placed.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @jakob187 said:
    " *taps foot in anticipation for 360 demo*  This is bullshit... "
    Get a PS3, problem solved.
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By me3639

HOLY SHIT.  Thats all i kept saying the whole time.
    And for all you, "its ok", "its not GOW", look its a clone, but there are still a whole lot of original elements and a LOT of detail and a LOT of love that has been put into this project so just say, its good and have fun. Fuck some of you clowns need to appreciate this art a little more.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FunExplosions
    @me3639 said:
    " HOLY SHIT.  Thats all i kept saying the whole time. And for all you, "its ok", "its not GOW", look its a clone, but there are still a whole lot of original elements and a LOT of detail and a LOT of love that has been put into this project so just say, its good and have fun. Fuck some of you clowns need to appreciate this art a little more. "
    Dude calm the fuck down.
    Anyway, I finished the demo and think it was amazing, in my opinion. Everything was mixed up real nice. I even liked it more than the Bayonetta demo.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nasar7

Just finished the demo, thought it was alright, nothing really stood out to me. Don't like the upgrade menu, that's my biggest gripe. Other than that, the gameplay felt average. Not bad but not trying to push any boundaries either. And yeah, pretty easy.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Luke

I thought it was pretty alright.  I'm sold on the PS3 demo but will most likely be buying it on the 360 :p 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Skald
    @Diamond said:
    " Shameless use of nudity and gore "
    You've played God of War, right? 
    The game where you tear dudes in half and chicks don't wear shirts, ever? 

The game isn't a huge paradigm shift for the beat 'em up genre, but they nailed the atmosphere and pacing was really good. 
    Pacing being the God of War 3 demo's only stand-out flaw. For me, at least.
    Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Laharl

I was fairly disappointed, i just kept getting the feeling that everything this game did(in the demo anyway) god of war already did better. 
    Now for those saying i should appreciate the art and the story, its really hard to do that when pretty much everything that game did was a carbon copy of god of war. The controls, the button presses, the dodge roll, the in game cinematics, the boss fights, the general feeling of it all. Pretty much the 1 single non god of war like thing involved with it was those randomly thrown in anime scenes. 

I remember when heavenly sword came out and it was joke to call it "goddess of war" cause yes it was somewhat similar but they at least tried to be different and have their own style, dante's inferno on the other hand is just the same storyline but christian mythology instead of greek.

Id like to ignore that and try to think its really cool but the lack of originality just makes me just wanna play gow3 and think how much this pales in comparison. Is it a little harsh? prolly, but maybe the developers shoulda just tried to be a little more original instead of just copy and pasting. 
    Also before i get yelled at i know that this is just a demo and i shouldn't judge it so hard but the whole point of a demo is to sell us on buying the full game and im just not sold at all. Im the type that wants the developers to at least try, i dont care how awesome god of war is, at the very least throw in a gimmick or 2 to make your rip off seem somewhat different.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fugie7

strange i just looked at xbox marketplace but it wasn't there, oh well ill just get the demo for the ps3 tomorrow after work.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bicycleham

Bout 60 FPS All the way.

junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By junkie

well they're trying to sell the game on the back of the 'games as art' thing a bit with the dev diary trailers...and I'd say this clashes with the GOW 'style copying' ....
    there's also a mythological suspension of disbelief with  the u se of  greek myths in GOW and they slapped that kind of mythic reality (fighting death) onto Dante' s inferno without any exposition...  

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By weltal

Well, it's stupid. In a good way, like Bayonetta, except Bayonetta does a way better job of being crazy as hell. It's like God of War except not quite as good.... and it's releasing in the same time frame as both these games. I can't even fathom the reasoning behind this.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By webby

Only just got round to playing it.  
    First thing you notice how similar it plays to God of War, I thought the combat was quite slow but I have played through Bayonetta 4 times last month. 
    However I actually really like the upgrade system, can't wait to get the top one on the blue side where you get health from enemies. 
    Slightly disappointed (but hey its only a demo) still buying day 1.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @DanielJW said:

" @kingclaw said:

" @DanielJW said:

Elegantly put, but I want the Hell stuff to be gritty and gross, it's Hell. I'm talking about Beatrice. That could have been done tastefully, but it just seemed like they'd do anything to get a boob in the shot. "
    Dude ITS HELL its suppose to make you be like WHAT THE FUCK, and make you feel uneasy.

EDIT: nvm  Beatrice is your gf. Forget i said anything.
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Had I not played the GoW III demo, I would say its fantastic. But having played it, I have to say that it fails in many things. Though, still I think it is a solid 8 game. 

The most important thing that it lacks, is graphics,  I mean, some of the scenarios, and textures really really show a lack of care and quality. The graveyard sequence looked like a PS2 title with upgraded textures. 

Still, it is the best GoW clone to date. Basically it controls the same, with a few minor diferences. Combos are the same also.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By radion_null

I think it is a solid game based on solid mechanics established by another game, God of War. Although it's taking creative liberties from the source material, I am interested in seeing what happens in this story and how each stage is laid out. I think Dante's scythe is just as fun to control as the blades of Athena in GOW. Still don't know if I would buy it, but it is definitely on my radar now. I'll end up renting it or buying it when it's cheaper.

I guess EA succeeded in getting me interested in a similar product.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By GunstarRed

If had played the demo  a month ago I would be excited for it, the combat seems...alright and I like the idea that you can ride the big monsters... I thought the graphics were pretty nice but the animation seemed a little stilted and that there was not enough of the environment I could destroy (at least let me smash a gravestone or the pots). 
    The fight against Death was ummmm Block,block,block...slash,slash,slash... The game is in Love with God of war and thats is no real fault, but there is a GOD OF WAR GAME OUT NEXT YEAR!  The design and setting is cool  but the QTE stuff is neither as clever as It could be and  there seems to be a little too much reliance on it... something you will not come across in.... Bayonetta. 

Infact With Bayonetta being such a varied, clever  fighty game with an absolutely flawless combat system that has a whole lot more improvisation and scope ...why does this game even exist at all... surely there is no place for it sandwiched Between the new Queen and the Tried and tested King.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#47  Edited By Icemael
    @marioncobretti said:
    "Infact With Bayonetta being such a varied, clever  fighty game with an absolutely flawless combat system that has a whole lot more improvisation and scope ...why does this game even exist at all..."
    I could say the same about God of War III.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Icemael:
     ... you could be "the cod of war" in  god of war 2.... so I give it a pass :)
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By Icemael
    @marioncobretti: That's a justification I can accept:P
    yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By yoctoyotta

Once you get the "Death Spine Scythe" (whatever it's actually called) the combat seems pretty legit. The in-game animation of Dante is good and Death's animation was pretty rad. The cinematics' CG and animation is cool too.

I'm sorely disappointed by everything else though. Regarding the environments, the textures are ugly, the geometry is blocky, and the destructibility is pretty weak. The God of War Collection's up-res'd PS2 games look ridiculously better than this demo. Moving from area to area and between cinematics in the demo doesn't feel very cohesive either, considering it's supposed to represent the actual beginning to the game. The very first sequence where you gain control of Dante has a jarring transition from a cinematic that does not lead into the environment you find yourself in, and is too "game-y." The player is killing a seemingly endless onslaught of normal humans, which are mysteriously appearing out of nowhere, while fire rains from the sky with no initial indication of where from.  The fight with Death is even more ridiculous, taking place on a empty circular platform floating ethereally in some inter-dimensional space which pops out of nowhere like a boss fight in a bad PS1 RPG. The camera in the fight doesn't help much either; I found my character frequently obscured entirely by Death, requiring me to drop my defense or give up attacking to get back into a playable view.

I may need to go back and examine Dead Space again, but I'm really shocked that this game doesn't approach the same quality. Also, GOW's 3+ year development cycle compared to an assumably shorter development cycle for Dante's Inferno makes the gap in quality understandable, but damn, I hope these guys at Visceral Games pull some serious shit out of their ass in the next 5-6 weeks prior to the games release or it's going to have a tough row to hoe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.