Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

PC?

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

So, I don't have an Xbox or PS3. Not out of any elitist stance on consoles, I just haven't had the cash. 

I do have a pretty solid PC. Not worried about whether the game runs okay, but... Has anyone tried this out for the PC yet? I also don't have a gamepad. Are the keyboard/mouse controls serviceable? I expect a certain level of jank due to it being a port, but for inference, I played the demo for Kane & Lynch 2 on PC and personally had no problems with the control scheme.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

Capcom has done some pretty good PC ports recently. I wouldnt worry about it being a crappy port but I could be wrong.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By spazmaster666

The PC version runs pretty well. I'm playing on a Q6600 3.2GHz, ATI 5870, and 8GB RAM and I'm getting pretty smooth framerates throughout (60+FPS in a lot of indoor areas and usually around 45-50FPS in outdoor areas). The game looks better of course (though you probably want to disable the "blur" effect, unless you have a super powerful system) and there are significantly larger numbers of zombies on screen at once compared to the console versions. I've mainly been playing with my 360 controller but the mouse and keyboard definitely works just fine, and of course makes the shooting easier as well.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

Capcom does really great PC ports so I wouldn't worry about it. If you could play DMC4 or RE5 you should be able to play this. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It's great.  Looks great.  Plays great.  1080p with 16x Aniso, 4x AA and focal length blur makes this game look rather spiffy indeed.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spazmaster666
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " It's great.  Looks great.  Plays great.  1080p with 16x Aniso, 4x AA and focal length blur makes this game look rather spiffy indeed. "
    How are you framerates with blur on? For my system, the blur seems to tank the FPS significantly (especially outdoors).
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

...its also 20 bucks cheaper.  

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Th3_James

I played on 360 before it came out, just bought steam version today. Gonna play through again, took me till level 27 to beat it with S story completion. Framerate on 360 chugs a bit, but is playable. I couldn't wait for the game to come out, don't judge me. 

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat  Online

It is the best version of the game. I can't talk about PC controls as I haven't used them but you can view the game's steam manual and look up the controls on there and see if they would seem OK. I guess that's the best you can do.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Zurv

I've played a little of it on my HTPC and it runs great! 
    win7x64, i7 @ 4ghz, 5 SSDs raid, ati 5870, 8gigs of ram 
    but, the wireless controller doesn't work (patch should be coming soon to fix it) 
    my 67"  TV wants to kill some zombies! 

It is also GFWL too.. so there is zero reason for me to ever get this on my xbox.. same game.. same achivements... higher rez, more fps, more af and aa :)
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Th3_James
    @Zurv said:
    " I've played a little of it on my HTPC and it runs great! win7x64, i7 @ 4ghz, 5 SSDs raid, ati 5870, 8gigs of ram but, the wireless controller doesn't work (patch should be coming soon to fix it) my 67"  TV wants to kill some zombies!  It is also GFWL too.. so there is zero reason for me to ever get this on my xbox.. same game.. same achivements... higher rez, more fps, more af and aa :) "
    Money...you have alot of it.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By alistercat  Online

I'm wondering what is the likelihood of mods/trainers. I'm curious as to whether we will see modifications that allow unlimited weapon durability, custom skins and such.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zurv
    @Th3_James:
     nah.. just not young. compared to my mortgage and other RL costs.. the gaming stuff is minor.  (this is a baby computer anyway.. my gaming one is much nicer. in my mini bio)

my frame rates are in the mid to upper 90s.. but i only played for 10min as i'm waiting for them to fix the wireless controller issues.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spazmaster666
    @AlisterCat said:
    " I'm wondering what is the likelihood of mods/trainers. I'm curious as to whether we will see modifications that allow unlimited weapon durability, custom skins and such. "
    Those are already available.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By alistercat  Online
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @AlisterCat said:
    " I'm wondering what is the likelihood of mods/trainers. I'm curious as to whether we will see modifications that allow unlimited weapon durability, custom skins and such. "
    Those are already available. "
    Ooooooooooooooooh? Tell me more.
    Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Gravy. Thanks for the heads up, folks. I was sitting on the fence for most of the morning, but I don't think I'll be able to resist much longer.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoeyRavn

C2D E7400 OC'd @3.2GHz 
    ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1GB DDR3 OC'd @ 700/1750/1000 
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 

Playing perfectly fine @ 1600x900, with x2 AA, x8 AF, medium shadows, blur and high textures. I admit it's not the best this game can do, but it looks damn fine, better in fact than the console version. I'm getting 60FPS most of the time, with minor slowdowns whenever it loads many zombies at the same time (for example, when opening a door to a larger area). But a few seconds later, everything's fine again. I could probably push the quality a little further, but it's nice as a it is already :P

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HoM3R

OK pc sounds freaking amazing
    How about load times because Dead Rising 1 was ruined on 360 for me with all the loading while running around diff areas.
    Looks like Dead Rising 2 got the same prob on 360 I played Case Zero.
    I got a monster pc does that mean almost no loading screens?

*edit OK couldnt wait, just bought it downloading on steam now, if the loading times suck please dont tell me or I will /cry :P

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zurv

load times are fast for me.. but i'm using a raid array with SSDs... 
    they should be pretty fast now too on the 360 if you do an HD install.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By alistercat  Online

Load times are not fast on 360 even with an install. They can be 10+ seconds.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

I run the game at max setting on a 1080p monitor. GPU: GTX 480 SLI and CPU: i7 950.  My framerates in game are as solid as can be.  I do however get the occasional drop when it tries to load during a story video or when it tries to load a new area as I'm running through.  It isn't often or game breaking, but it makes me want an SSD that much more.  The visuals in the game are fucking awesome overall.  I am a little disappointed by how the blood looks on Chuck after killing some zombies.  It just looks flat.  The colors are a little muted too, most of the time.  I haven't put much time into the game yet, maybe there are other areas with better lighting. 

Loading hasn't been bad at all in terms of load screens.  On my PC they pop up and then are gone.  I'd say that about 40% of the time I don't have time to notice and read the little tip they give you.  

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HoM3R

Been playing for a about a hour and loading screen are to fast to even read the "tips" and it makes the pc best platform for Dead Rising because those loading screens can drive a man crazy.
    Also zero lag in-game, although movies can hang a little but that might even be a engine problem because Case Zero had it aswell.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm currently contemplating whether to get the Xbox 360 or PC version. I did buy Case Zero on XBLA. Are the benefits you get from importing the save over worth it?

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spankmealotus

Quick question. If I buy it on Steam can I still get GFWL achievments?

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mmmslash

It's a great port.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By alistercat  Online
    @wasteguru said:

"  I'm currently contemplating whether to get the Xbox 360 or PC version. I did buy Case Zero on XBLA. Are the benefits you get from importing the save over worth it? "

You get to carry over all the clothes, which are exclusive to Case Zero but it's not a big deal when DR2 has about 50x the number of clothes. You carry over your level, so start with a max of level 5. Not really an issue as you can get to level 5 in less than 10 minutes of starting the main game. I believe you also carry over some money but not that much, and combo cards which you get from levelling anyway. In all the import isn't a big deal at all but it's a nice extra.

@Spankmealotus said:

" Quick question. If I buy it on Steam can I still get GFWL achievments? "

Yes, it is in no way affiliated with steams services. That is just a digital delivery platform for that game. All it means is that it's tied to your Steam account like all steam games and you can bring up the overlay.

@Mmmslash said:

" It's a great port. "

It is but it doesn't scale well. Actually, what I mean to say is at all really. Hence the higher requirements.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " It's great.  Looks great.  Plays great.  1080p with 16x Aniso, 4x AA and focal length blur makes this game look rather spiffy indeed. "
    How are you framerates with blur on? For my system, the blur seems to tank the FPS significantly (especially outdoors). "
    My Specs : Core i5 750 @ 3.2Ghz / DDR3 1600mhz RAM / NV 285GTX 1.2GB

I've yet to see a frame drop.  Looks pretty much 60F/s +.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By fentonalpha

Athlon x2 2.1 GHZ (below minimum recommended specs)
    1GB Nvidia GeForce 6500 Gt (budget)
    3GB ram

Runs acceptably with all settings at low and 1360x768 resolution.... not amazing... but playable enough to be having a tonne of fun.

BillyMethers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BillyMethers
    @Zurv:  ...Raid?... for gaming? what are the advantage of that besides backed up data and save files?
    this is the first time I've heard someone use raid for gaming purposes.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Detrian

If you are gonna be playing this you might as well be doing it on PC. It is the best version of the game since it runs faster, looks better, loads faster and mod support might make the game amazing depending on what people manage to produce.

And of course, trainers can eliminate some of the completely idiotic things that make the game so annoying like time limits and weapons blowing up like they are made out of firecrackers and matches after a few uses.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox

Fuck man. I didn't even think about the trainer aspect fixing a lot of things the shitty things about the way the game was made. I should get this soon.

If there was a way to make time go slower universally I think that would be all I needed.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Q9550 at 3.6ghz,

4gb 1066mhz RAM, 

GTX 275

Pretty much locked to 55-60FPS with all settings maxed, 1680x1050 res and 4xMSAA.

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shadyspace
    @MuttersomeTaxicab:  Get a wired 360 controller for $20, dude. Pretty much every good 360 game comes to PC eventually, if not simultaneously. Shit'll change your life. No doubt stick to keyboard and mouse for FPS, RTS and the like obviously but for console-centric genres it's great.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Diamond

It sounds like the PC version turned out very well.  Wish there had been some word on the PC version a week ago...

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Diamond said:
    " It sounds like the PC version turned out very well.  Wish there had been some word on the PC version a week ago... "
    You could have waited for the info to surface...
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
    @sodiumCyclops:  NO!  I must buy games day one!  But realistically I got deals and was able to preorder the thing a while ago.  Even a few days ago it was too late.  Preordering + uncertainty = me.

Capcom put their review embargos to expire today, which is kind of an annoying thing to do.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Diamond said:
    " It sounds like the PC version turned out very well.  Wish there had been some word on the PC version a week ago... "
    There was word.  It was scened almost two weeks ago and there were vids up on youtube last week.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diamond
    @SeriouslyNow:  Really?  I heard of people playing the PC version for the first time like 3 days ago...  I know the 360 version was pirated a few weeks back...
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Diamond:  Hmm.  Looks like you're right.  There was a gameplay vid up a week ago, but I can't find it, though there was a TGS vid up of the PC version @ 360p (which probably wasn't much use as an indicator of performance).
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By Jost1

The game looks GORGEOUS on my PC that's for sure

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zurv
    @Spankmealotus said:

"Quick question. If I buy it on Steam can I still get GFWL achievments? "

any games for windows LIVE game will give you achivements. It will show up the same way xbox games do on you gamer score. 

so yes :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.