Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Franchise »

The Dead Space franchise tells the story of the outbreak of the Necromorph infection on the space mining vessel, U.S.G Ishimura.

What do you like (or love) about the Dead Space franchise?

• 64 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By NTM

@Zenaxzd: I agree for the most part.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By NTM

I'm trying to remember if I was really scared of Dead Space when I had played it or it was something else, like intense or something, 'cause I too don't get scared all that much from films or games either, and the last time I remember being scared (like head under my covers at night scared) from a movie was The Ring when I was 12, and that movie's not even scary. Let me ask you, do you use a stereo system when playing a game or watching movies? Load enough sound that it'll somewhat drown out the background of reality? 'Cause that can help. I thought Dead Space was intense only the second time I had played it, unlike the first and the... other eight or nine times I beat it. Ha ha.

Yeah, I think Dead Space was just intense, when I had played a bit of Amnesia though? Man... That's probably the first game I've ever played where I felt like I couldn't play anymore of it after a certain amount of time, and that was just the demo. When I had played a little of it on OnLive, it was a little freaky here and there, but not quite as bad, and overall there are some parts where you just have to realize it can be a little hokey, or at least you realize that it's not really all that scary. Like that invisible monster in the water. Still though, Amnesia is a pretty scary game from what I've played, and it shows that games can be more powerful than film when it comes to horror.

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By shamroll

I loved the first dead space because it scared the crap out of me every time I played it. I still loved dead space 2 because it was scary (not as scary as the first) but the characters were so much more. I really liked having Isaac talk and the force work and facial animation was really good. As you played it you could really hear him starting to break down and lose it. The other characters were also nicely animated and voiced.

I can't wait until DS3

Spek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Spek

@NTM: I may have said this wrong. I had nothing against the performance of the voice actor for Issac, it was more having the role voiced in the first place that caused a disconnect. It's a personal preference thing, but if a character is introduced to me in the silent protagonist mold my preference is that they stay that way. In DS1, having Issac silent really reinforced how alone he was and made me focus on the other sounds and sights in the environment. The goal of a solid horror game (although you can argue that's the same with any genre) is to put me in the action, and I really felt that. There was a distance in DS2. I still love the game, but it didn't have the same sense that the original had. The speaking Issac could never have matched my version of the non-speaking Issac. Is this a deal-breaker? Not at all. I'm looking forward to the third installment. The second just didn't give me the same feeling that the first one did. Most sequels don't or can't.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By impartialgecko

I like me some realistic sci-fi, the mix of religious overtones and an actually believable setting in both DS1 and 2 were damn compelling. I preferred the Ishimura, especially as the creepiest moment in DS2 is when you go back to it. But once the atmosphere dissipates after a few playthroughs and the jump scares are memorised, I just love stasising dudes and de-limbing them

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By impartialgecko

@Lazyaza said:

I love almost everything about Dead Space, my only real gripe with the series is how un-scary the games have been so far but I'm no designer so hell if I know how they can improve on that without making the game frustrating like the last stage of DS2.

Agreed regarding the last stage, if you didn't have yourself a Contact Beam with the Alt fire upgraded some then it was either run or bang your head against the wall

YuriAlexandrov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By YuriAlexandrov

@NTM: No one knows actually. But...I hope it has another protagonist other then Isaac. Like...Ellie langford? Or the daughter or son of Ellie and Isaac? That would be awesome.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By NTM

@YuriAlexandrov: Wait... What? What exact comment are you replying to? This is so old. I assume you're into Dead Space right now though, so cool.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By phampire

Immersive sound and HUD design.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I liked the big set pieces a lot in those games. The early boss sequences in Dead Space 2 were something else, man.  

Overall I much preferred the first game. Mechanically, the second one is a bit better, but I felt it was too jump-scare reliant and sacrificed a bunch of its atmosphere when Issac started talking. Part of the appeal of Dead Space 1 was the sense in which you weren't really some dude but rather a manifestation of yourself in this obscenely traumatic situation. I felt the wife stuff in Dead Space 1 was a little forced, and moreso in the sequel, but still a strong franchise at the end of the day. 

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@will_leisure said:

I like rocking the same starter gun the entire game (plasma cutter).

I like rocking the same starter gun the entire franchise (if you have a Dead Space 1 save, you can use the original Plasma Cutter).

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Khadyn

@Spek said:

What hooked me most about the first Dead Space was the sense of dread that accumulated for me as I progressed through the story. It just goes from bad to worse for Issac and about two-thirds of the way through I had the thought that if I was in this situation (if I even survived that long) I would just kill myself. The world was so well realized that I could imagine myself there and how mentally exhausting it would be waiting for the attacks to come. The second one, as everyone else has said, doesn't have that same feel about it. I didn't feel the dread. I felt powerful. Maybe it's having him voiced that does it. I don't mind cursing, but there's something about the way he always curses when he's shocked that bugged me about DS2's Issac. It wasn't used well. That said, DS2 had some pretty awesome set piece moments that they just did not have the tech or the time for in the first.

This is exactly how I feel. My biggest hope right now is that they go back to the tight corridor style setting. DS2 had too much open areas that it made the game feel far less tense then DS1.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#63  Edited By Lazyaza

I hope theirs some cool ice/snow tech used in DS3 since it was leaked a while ago that its going to be set primarily on a low temperature planet and such settings could make for interesting fights like your guns maybe freezing up if your outside too long and a heat mechanic to keep yourself going or something and your slowed speed would make fights out on the planet really tense. It would probly play a bit like the first Lost Planet but with good controls and no fall animation that takes forever to recover from lol.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By NTM

@HistoryInRust said:

I liked the big set pieces a lot in those games. The early boss sequences in Dead Space 2 were something else, man.

Overall I much preferred the first game. Mechanically, the second one is a bit better, but I felt it was too jump-scare reliant and sacrificed a bunch of its atmosphere when Issac started talking. Part of the appeal of Dead Space 1 was the sense in which you weren't really some dude but rather a manifestation of yourself in this obscenely traumatic situation. I felt the wife stuff in Dead Space 1 was a little forced, and moreso in the sequel, but still a strong franchise at the end of the day.

You mean the girlfriend stuff felt forced? I don't think so. I can somewhat agree on the voice thing, but I really think putting a voice to Isaac (and I really great one at that), was a fine choice. When he didn't talk, you did just kind of feel like there was no one there but yourself to rely on, and I can understand that some loved that about the original, and I also loved it 'cause it made it more tense, but now, I can't really go back. Not that it'd even be a good idea for them to make it return to that, but you know what I mean. I would fully agree if Isaac wasn't voiced well, but he was, so I love it. Oh, and yes, the sequel wasn't even close to as scary, but every other thing that went into it, I just absolutely loved. I mean, things could be improved, but for what it is, it's so good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.