Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

No one can hear you scream in space

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Edited By dj
    You lookin at me?
    You lookin at me?
    For my birthday my parents got me a copy of Dead Space. Ironically even with the severed hand on the cover of the box my mom still wondered whether or not this would be a violent game. When this game first came out there was alot of positive buzz surrounding this game and it got me way psyched. I was highly anticipating this game so when the demo came out I downloaded it immediately. After playing it I was left frustrated and angry. The demo threw you into the middle of a level with very little guidance on how to do anything. It just goes to show that a demo can sometimes do more harm than good. After that my opinion of that game went way down. If it were not for my friend Dan basically begging me to give it another chance then I would have never played Dead Space ever again. It's a good thing that Dan is extremly persistent.

Dead Space is one of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had. Even though its a third person perspective, Dead Space is the most immersive game I've every played. I knew that the graphics were stellar from the outset. While the aesthetic is fairly generic sci-fi, there is enough of a difference to carve out its own niche. The audio in Dead Space does an amazing job at creating a very creepy atmosphere. When a monster appears the audio spikes and makes every confrontation extremly dramatic.

The arsenal of weapons in Dead Space feels extremly visceral and powerful. I like how all of your weapons make sense in the context that he is an engineer and all of his weapons are tools of his trade; well, except for the assault rifle. Hand to hand combat is completely useless and does not help when you are surrounded by a swarm of enemies. The best you can do is hope you never have to use it. It seems like Dead Space robbed Fable 2 of its little bread crumb feature. However it does it much better because it only appears when you ask for it as opposed to being constantly there.

One other note, Issac's suit looks bad ass!
    dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1  Edited By dj
    You lookin at me?
    You lookin at me?
    For my birthday my parents got me a copy of Dead Space. Ironically even with the severed hand on the cover of the box my mom still wondered whether or not this would be a violent game. When this game first came out there was alot of positive buzz surrounding this game and it got me way psyched. I was highly anticipating this game so when the demo came out I downloaded it immediately. After playing it I was left frustrated and angry. The demo threw you into the middle of a level with very little guidance on how to do anything. It just goes to show that a demo can sometimes do more harm than good. After that my opinion of that game went way down. If it were not for my friend Dan basically begging me to give it another chance then I would have never played Dead Space ever again. It's a good thing that Dan is extremly persistent.

Dead Space is one of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had. Even though its a third person perspective, Dead Space is the most immersive game I've every played. I knew that the graphics were stellar from the outset. While the aesthetic is fairly generic sci-fi, there is enough of a difference to carve out its own niche. The audio in Dead Space does an amazing job at creating a very creepy atmosphere. When a monster appears the audio spikes and makes every confrontation extremly dramatic.

The arsenal of weapons in Dead Space feels extremly visceral and powerful. I like how all of your weapons make sense in the context that he is an engineer and all of his weapons are tools of his trade; well, except for the assault rifle. Hand to hand combat is completely useless and does not help when you are surrounded by a swarm of enemies. The best you can do is hope you never have to use it. It seems like Dead Space robbed Fable 2 of its little bread crumb feature. However it does it much better because it only appears when you ask for it as opposed to being constantly there.

One other note, Issac's suit looks bad ass!
    OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when I got this game. Glad you're having fun with it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I got this game for Christmas and I'm having a great time with it. I didn't like the gun turret gameplay, it took me ten times to finally beat that part. Everything else has been intense and fun... I've died many times, but it gives me the knowledge to dive back in with better tactics. I'm on Chapter 7 and about 8 hours in... I play, take a break and back in I go. I never played the demo, so I can't comment on that.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

The fact that your parents had to question the game's violence level when there is a severed hand, an M rating, and "strategically dismember the Necromorph enemies limb by bloody limb" written on the box just proves the level of parenting that most parents actually possess nowadays...no offense.  Maybe you should get them Hooked on Phonics and some image recognition software for Christmas next time?

Either way, I absolutely loved this game.  I would've fucked this game if it were possible...maybe...actually, with all that blood, I'm not sure that's a good idea.  But you get the point...I hope...

Check out the rest of the Dead Space forum here on Giant Bomb, as there are tons of threads talking about story, strategies, and other shit.  Plus, it's the only forum so far where I'm the #1 poster.  = D

On a slightly off-note dealing with the title of this post-up...I finally bought the Alien Quadrilogy!  = D  = D  = D  = D
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Glad as hell to hear another person has been brought onto the USG Ishimura. Have fun.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xandurson

Glad to hear you enjoy it. I never really liked the demo either due to the same reasons. Mainly the fact they didn't tell you how to do anything.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Chummy8

This is definitely the next game I'm getting.  I used the gift card I got for Christmas on The Witcher EE instead.

On the plus side, by the time I'll be able to get another game, Dead Space would've dropped in price.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

Dead Space is awesome. Yes.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

I did not like the demo one bit myself but I got the game anyway, and just like you, I think it is awesome. One of the best games this year, most definitely.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By super_machine

It was well worth it. For an EA game, this sets a good example for their future games.

smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By smokeH

aww, I still don't have money to buy this game yet haha and the next item on my list is a capture card so probably won't play this for a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.