Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

!!!SPOILERS!!! Dead space awesome story hint

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

Ok so just finished my first playthrough of dead space, and omg i loved every second, definately going through it a few more times.

But After reading a few of the dead space forum threads and finding - like you guys, myself overwhelmed with the urge to actually try and decipher the ending and the whole nicole situation, i cracked on and gorged myself again on the mother fucker.

The 'theory' about the marker being a man made replica that was brought to that planet and actiivated and the necromorphs being the result ( in Jakobs thread) -is true - because it damn well tells you that in chapter 11.

To be honest i have no idea about the 'attack' on isaac at the end, whether its real or not - but im hoping not, cos tbh isaac took way more severe beatings than that and survived without a problem (when i was behind the controller anyway:P)
    All i relaly noticed was that in the ending run up to the boss and in the vids after, all of nicoles bars are lit on her back meaning she 'should' still be alive and well, if she was 'turning' into a necro then surely her rig would indicate- also we saw her stood by the marker, and go down with it - so even if she was real and on the planet - it couldnt of been her necro body ont he ship -because, well it aint logistically possible.

Anyway the main point of this post is that i noticed something odd about the namign of the chapters, mainly because of conflicts with trophies and whatnot, so after looking at a list of the chapter names, something stood out to me.

Try Putting the first letter of every chapter together....

Mission 1:- New arrivals
    Mission 2:- Intensive care
    Mission 3:- Course correction
    Mission 4:- Obliteration Imminent
    Mission 5:- Lethal devoition
    Mission 6:- Environemental Hazard
    Mission 7:- Into the void
    Mission 8:- Search and rescue
    Mission 9:- Dead On Arrival
    Mission10:- End of Days
    Mission11:- Alternate Solutions
    Mission12:- Dead Space

What do we have??? :P

I know it aint exactly much of a spoile,r as everyone had pretty much figured it anyway -but i just think that is pretty awesome in itself :D

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By albedos_shadow

Sir, you just blew my mind.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate
    albedos_shadow said:
    "Sir, you just blew my mind."
    And i do it again too!!!! :P
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demilich

I thought we all knew this by now.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

LOL  I DIDN'T NOTICE THAT!

Well, shit.  That makes things a LOT.
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Dude. GOOD find.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Dude. GOOD find."
    Thanks :) it doesnt exactly ruin much of the story- or help people decipher the ending much at all, but i very much doubt itw as a coincidence, probably put there for people to chat about on internet gaming forums ;P
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Well, it just means that now we have a pretty good confirmation that Nicole is in fact dead.  The big question now is whether the Nicole that we kept seeing in front of us was a manifestation of the Marker, or if it was actually Nicole infected by something from the Necromorphs...or whatever.

It also means that if Nicole was dead, then what the fuck happened at the end?!

UGH, AND I BOUGHT FALLOUT 3 INSTEAD OF DOWNFALL TODAY!!!  GRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pibo47
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Dude. GOOD find."
    I 2nd that.
    Daeica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daeica

Nicole is probably a psychic image projected by the marker, as follows the lore of Dead Space: Downfall / Animated Comic Issue 1-6, that manipulates the humans into doing the Marker's will.

Taking the final vidlog in the game as "evidence" (really, what is evidence in a future where we got stasis slinging kinetic charging engineers? Photoshop; End) we do see her kill herself, in accordance to the inhabitents of the colony prior to the arrival of the Ishimura. 28 (?) or so suicides after the marker was recovered, and after it was transfered, some +20 unitologists commit mass suicide. The colony's doctor starts to have strange visions of his loved ones, along with the Rev. Abbot of the Unitologist group.

Most likely the Marker is a sentient being itself, which would account for it's glowing runes, or an eletronic device that can transmit frequencies that affect the human mind/psyché - However, I would argue that the first is more of a posibility because of the Marker's alternating motives through-out the lore.

We see in Downfall that the Marker repels the necromorphs (unlike in the game, atleast that we know of) and the Necropmorphs attempts to keep the Marker away from their planet. Another theory is that the Hivemind & The Marker both have some kind of psychic energy able to effect the human psyché, which would account for the mixed messeges of the "ghosts" of past loved-ones.

It might even be posible, knowing that the Marker was placed on Aegis 7 some +150 years ago, that it was a lush planet with organic life, hence why the Necromorphs would emerge and the Hivemind exists, as we can se they cannot be created out of nothing, but needs a host of some form, varying on the species. Thus it would hint that the Marker is a biological weapon developed by -insert future sequel evil company- as a means of controlling a viral organism that is pratically unbeatable and more adapt than human beings.

Anywho, some part time speculation. Still missing some logs so don't have a complete overview of it all yet.

Theorymachine rules all.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Daeica said:
    "Nicole is probably a psychic image projected by the marker, as follows the lore of Dead Space: Downfall / Animated Comic Issue 1-6, that manipulates the humans into doing the Marker's will.

Taking the final vidlog in the game as "evidence" (really, what is evidence in a future where we got stasis slinging kinetic charging engineers? Photoshop; End) we do see her kill herself, in accordance to the inhabitents of the colony prior to the arrival of the Ishimura. 28 (?) or so suicides after the marker was recovered, and after it was transfered, some +20 unitologists commit mass suicide. The colony's doctor starts to have strange visions of his loved ones, along with the Rev. Abbot of the Unitologist group.

Most likely the Marker is a sentient being itself, which would account for it's glowing runes, or an eletronic device that can transmit frequencies that affect the human mind/psyché - However, I would argue that the first is more of a posibility because of the Marker's alternating motives through-out the lore.

We see in Downfall that the Marker repels the necromorphs (unlike in the game, atleast that we know of) and the Necropmorphs attempts to keep the Marker away from their planet. Another theory is that the Hivemind & The Marker both have some kind of psychic energy able to effect the human psyché, which would account for the mixed messeges of the "ghosts" of past loved-ones.

It might even be posible, knowing that the Marker was placed on Aegis 7 some +150 years ago, that it was a lush planet with organic life, hence why the Necromorphs would emerge and the Hivemind exists, as we can se they cannot be created out of nothing, but needs a host of some form, varying on the species. Thus it would hint that the Marker is a biological weapon developed by -insert future sequel evil company- as a means of controlling a viral organism that is pratically unbeatable and more adapt than human beings.

Anywho, some part time speculation. Still missing some logs so don't have a complete overview of it all yet.

Theorymachine rules all."
    I aint seen downfall yet, but if it gives that kind of insight into the world then i believe i may have to swing by and pick it up :)
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zitosilva

Great find. But we do see Nicole kill herself. What we see is a halucination caused by the marker and the Hive Mind, from what I get they are somewhat connected. What least that's what I got from Nicole saying "make as whole again". It was to return the Marker to the Hive Mind (talking to you through Nicole) so it could be at peace again, or something of the kind.

That ending... It could be just Nicole's corpse turned into a Necromorph that just happened to suddenly be into the shutter... I don't know, honestly I think it's mostly likely the ends of all those cliché horror movies... everyone has to die in the end (you know the drill, everything seems fine and in the last 10 seconds they die. I hate this kind of ending). It doesn't rally have an explanation, just BOO!, the end.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Sarnecki

I find it insulting to think that Nicole's corpse just happened to be the only one to have specific human resemblance, and just happened to be waiting in or around or near the shuttle.  It does ring nicely with that whole "I wish I could see you again, at least once more..." line, but come on...

More likely Issac went insane from what he had seen.  I mean, if we're going to imply even the smallest amount of reason here, seeing what Issac saw, and feeling that kind of fear would drive any human being totally insane, no ifs ands or buts.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By demonbear

I think you guys look too far anyway.

Anyone alove on that ship have seen ghosts at one point or another, someone close to them.

Nicole is clearly Isaac's ghost. And the ending is probably just a metaphor to say he just snapped or somethin.

But that find is awesome man, i loled.

Daeica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daeica
    Sarnecki said:
    "I find it insulting to think that Nicole's corpse just happened to be the only one to have specific human resemblance, and just happened to be waiting in or around or near the shuttle.  It does ring nicely with that whole "I wish I could see you again, at least once more..." line, but come on...

More likely Issac went insane from what he had seen.  I mean, if we're going to imply even the smallest amount of reason here, seeing what Issac saw, and feeling that kind of fear would drive any human being totally insane, no ifs ands or buts.

"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9gDK3mC4o

Thats a tough one. We are told that Isaac has gone insane, and its realized by the player in the end once he plays the whole of the video, however we are also shown in the beginning him watching that self same video & the crews comment on him having watched it "a thousand times" so how come it stops short every time he has watched it, in private and around his crew?

Anywho, assuming that Nicole has died along with the rest of the Ishimura crew, and we look closely at the vidlink above with the final scene (go in at around 6:30) we can make out her detail, atleast a vague hairstyle that deminds of her, as her facial expression is rather distorted and the video, not in the best quality. Though, where's the indications of necromorph'ness? We've seen how they spawn tentacles, murderous spikes from their hands, their lower jaws torn off and what not, but I see no indication of that in the end scene.
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sarnecki

I assume someone on board the ship edited his video from Nicole so that he would ...  have motivation throughout the game?  Now that you mention it I can't think of a good reason why it was cut short.  He wasn't insane before they got there.

The thing that makes the most sense to me is that the marker survived the collision and had a hallucination of Nicole attack Issac.  We see near the end of the game as the marker implies it's power over Issac's mind that computer monitors etc are emitting strange feedback with runes*apparently from the marker* appearing in all the screens, implying the marker is deeply mucking with your mind.

If you watch the video just after Nicole attacks clearly the screen is filled with those same reddish looking runes.  You have to imagine the monolith would be PO'd at Issac.   

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Sarnecki said:
    "I assume someone on board the ship edited his video from Nicole so that he would ...  have motivation throughout the game?  Now that you mention it I can't think of a good reason why it was cut short.  He wasn't insane before they got there.

The thing that makes the most sense to me is that the marker survived the collision and had a hallucination of Nicole attack Issac.  We see near the end of the game as the marker implies it's power over Issac's mind that computer monitors etc are emitting strange feedback with runes*apparently from the marker* appearing in all the screens, implying the marker is deeply mucking with your mind.

If you watch the video just after Nicole attacks clearly the screen is filled with those same reddish looking runes.  You have to imagine the monolith would be PO'd at Issac.   "
    Yeah he wasnt in the best of books with it was he, one thing i aint sure of, is whether the marker was wanted by the hive mind, or not -
     i mean it was supposed to surpress the hive mind wasnt it? that was the whole purpose of taking it back down, but as soon as you send it down  - which is obviously what it wanted if nicole was the embodiment of the marker manipulating you -the hive mind goes nuts - so it didnt suppress it at all! 
    And why would the marker be pissed at you for following its orders??

Ahrrrgh this just raises more questions
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sarnecki

The way I see it...

Frankly it seems like the marker is a being with a will of it's own, and it's the marker that wants you to bring it back, not the necromorphs.    The last thing they want is for you to replace the marker, as evident by the massive assaults.  If the hivemind wanted you to bring the marker back, it wouldn't attack you in the colony.  The marker kept you safe in those moments you had it in place, but sadly that didn't last long, and the hivemind escaped.  The marker might just be a goodish alien being completely seperate of the necromorphs who wants to keep them under control.  Think Forerunners and The Flood.

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By stucket

ahh this is fustrating..hmm.... What we learn so far:

Nicole is dead....and from what i believe,she cant be a necro,due to the fact that she has so much human resemblance aend her eye is red? i  have to say a manifestation of the marker....but now the question is. Is Issac still alive? And oh yea,can anyone explain to me what is the hivemind ,im confuse..

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sarnecki

The Hive minds origins are debatable.  It's either

A) A result of the infection, and is a bunch of bodies fused together by Necromorphic mutation. 

B) A pet of the Earth Government?  Perhaps patient Zero, the original source of the infection once the marker was removed and the beast was free.

Long story short the Hive Mind is the "queen" of the necromorphs, it controls the actions of all necromorphs because they are all one big consciousness.  Imagine if you and I were the exact same person with the exact same thoughts, but we both had our own bodies.  It's the general Patton of the Necromorph forces.  

EDIT:  Apparently the Hive Mind is the result of human researchers from about 200 years ago who accidentally created and unleashed the necro virus.  I'm assuming there was a colony on that planet hundreds of years before hand that was wiped out by Necros?  It makes you wonder how the Hive mind got controlled by the marker...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By get2sammyb
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Dude. GOOD find."
    Oh shit that's amazing.

But yes - what the impression I get from the movie and the game is that the marker fucks with peoples minds. This is why Isaac sees Nicole. The "marker" is believed by people on Earth to be a religious artifact... the sign of God... this is why they want to take it back to Earth. But obviously with the marker they bring the necromorphs who steal the humans bodies.
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sarnecki

Unitologists have a bizarre sense of religion.  They want to bring the marker to earth, but at the same time they want to mass suicide and ascend.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Sarnecki said:
    "Unitologists have a bizarre sense of religion.  They want to bring the marker to earth, but at the same time they want to mass suicide and ascend.

"
    Yeah its a fucked kind of religion that asks you to kill yourself in order to move on to a higher plain of existance - to be fair though most of the people you saw 'ascending' throughout the cours of the game did not seem overly keen to do so - especially when the doctor had them in captivity and whatnot 
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sarnecki

To be honest Unitology was just too damn similar to another religion for me.  When they mentioned powerful members of the church, and being required to pay money to the church to move up in it's ranks I was rolling my eyes.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By get2sammyb

Unitology is a lie. They've been sent by the marker to get the marker.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OmegaPirate
    Sarnecki said:
    "To be honest Unitology was just too damn similar to another religion for me.  When they mentioned powerful members of the church, and being required to pay money to the church to move up in it's ranks I was rolling my eyes."
    Yeha -and it even has that extremeist kinda feel to it -'kill yourself in the name of god and be rewarded on a higher plain of life with 100 virg...' you catch my drift anyway
    Its a good job that theres not a major religious presence like that in real life that secretly has its finger in every pie, and vast amounts of wealth and control of far more than we could possibly imagine
    stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stucket

k....so was the big boss at the end of the game the hivemind?

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sarnecki

I was referring to Scientology, the obvious inspiration for Unitology.

Yup, the big creature was the Hive Mind.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By super_machine

I think the next game will only get better. There are hints of what could be in the story logs. For instance, we know the church has another marker. We know the Unitologists have known about the Necromorphs. We know they have a massive fleet of "Mausoleum ships" where they are keeping the bodies of church members. We know that Issac's father is missing and was a ship builder and his mom was deep into the church. Lots of lingering questions about the game remain, but I think the story has a lot of room to evolve into a great trilogy.
    I think the next game will have Issac (probably survived) or a new character investigate the "mausoleum ship" fleet where we will find a whole ship of church controlled necromorphs. They are building an army for something, that something could lead into third game.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By get2sammyb
    Sarnecki said:
    "I was referring to Scientology, the obvious inspiration for Unitology.

Yup, the big creature was the Hive Mind.

"
    It's a lot like scientology yes.
    stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stucket
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zitosilva
    super_machine said:
    "I think the next game will only get better. There are hints of what could be in the story logs. For instance, we know the church has another marker. We know the Unitologists have known about the Necromorphs. We know they have a massive fleet of "Mausoleum ships" where they are keeping the bodies of church members. We know that Issac's father is missing and was a ship builder and his mom was deep into the church. Lots of lingering questions about the game remain, but I think the story has a lot of room to evolve into a great trilogy.
    I think the next game will have Issac (probably survived) or a new character investigate the "mausoleum ship" fleet where we will find a whole ship of church controlled necromorphs. They are building an army for something, that something could lead into third game."
    But the other marker does not make Necromorhps, or else Earth would've been destroyed long ago. The only reason this one produces them is because it is of human engineering and, apparently, not well made. But the fleet part I agree, I think we'll see more about that.

I still stand by that Nicole was absolutely a Necromorph controlled by the Hive Mind. And if that ending is indeed not an Hallucionation nor just a crappy horror movie ending, then I'd guess it was the Hive Mind's last strengh (if it's indeed dead) to kill Isaac.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb
    super_machine said:
    "I think the next game will only get better. There are hints of what could be in the story logs. For instance, we know the church has another marker. We know the Unitologists have known about the Necromorphs. We know they have a massive fleet of "Mausoleum ships" where they are keeping the bodies of church members. We know that Issac's father is missing and was a ship builder and his mom was deep into the church. Lots of lingering questions about the game remain, but I think the story has a lot of room to evolve into a great trilogy.
    I think the next game will have Issac (probably survived) or a new character investigate the "mausoleum ship" fleet where we will find a whole ship of church controlled necromorphs. They are building an army for something, that something could lead into third game."
    Don't forget they have a movie planned to bridge the first and second game. They're just looking for a director apparently.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By OmegaPirate
    get2sammyb said:
    "super_machine said:
    Don't forget they have a movie planned to bridge the first and second game. They're just looking for a director apparently."
    If its uwe bolle then we owe it to Isaac to hunt Uwe down and kill him
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By get2sammyb
    OmegaPirate said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "super_machine said:
    Don't forget they have a movie planned to bridge the first and second game. They're just looking for a director apparently."
    If its uwe bolle then we owe it to Isaac to hunt Uwe down and kill him"
    Nah EA won't do that. They actually want the franchise to succeed! ;)
    trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By trulyalive

I bet now is the point that a member of EA Redwood releases a press release saying that the sentence the Chapter titles make just happens to be coincidence ^_^;

grant33333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By grant33333

So you have not been listening at all?Nicole was a HALLUCINATION remember kendra saying she seen her brother but he was dead for ages and he waved at her?At the end i dont know though,what I think is it was also a hallucination.I don't know.

grant33333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By grant33333

Also about the point of issac stopping the vid,there was alot of static when he stopped it remember?Naturally you end it or change it when ther static on the radio or tv right?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive

holy shit nicole is dead, hahahahaha blew me away never seen that (but i wasnt exactly ever talking about or looking up information on the game, just played it loved and that was it)

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OmegaPirate
    TwoOneFive said:
    "holy shit nicole is dead, hahahahaha blew me away never seen that (but i wasnt exactly ever talking about or looking up information on the game, just played it loved and that was it)"
    God i forgot about this thread :D, yeah my jaw was quite agape when i noticed it, but it as puire chance, i spent omost of my dead space time dismembering mutey alien scum 
    Avatar image for 6zombiepenguins6
    6zombiepenguins6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 6zombiepenguins6

sweet

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By c1337us

Yeh I heard about the chapter naming thing. I never noticed when I played it myself though. Good pick up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.