Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Deadly Premoniton 2 hype

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mutha3

lets fucking do this swery

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-20-swery-teases-deadly-premonition-2

EDIT: Y'all are some lazy motherfuckers.

Deadly Premonition designer SWERY has teased a sequel, and revealed his hope to release a Director's Cut of the first game this year.

Quirky open world horror game Deadly Premonition launched on Xbox 360 in 2010 and divided critics. Fans have hoped for a sequel ever since, but Hidetaka "SWERY" Suehiro has remained quiet - until now.

Last week Eurogamer caught up with the Japanese designer at Gamescom for an update. He confirmed that the original Deadly Premonition team is back together working on a new project to coincide with the 10th anniversary of developer Access Games.

"We're in talks with publishers at the moment, and we can't tell you about the platforms," he said. "But by next summer, I think everyone will have a good idea of what it's going to be.

"After Deadly Premonition everyone wanted to know when the next project was coming along. I told them it would be in 10 years' time. So I think they're still waiting!"

SWERY, who is searching for a publisher for the new project, stopped short of confirming the new game as Deadly Premonition 2. "Hmm, maybe!" was all he said.

But he did give us an idea of what he intends for the sequel, which he said he'd be honoured to make.

"In Deadly Premonition I really tried to focus on lifestyle and the relationships between the characters and experiencing those things in the game, and there just happened to be a murder mystery going on as well. But what I really wanted people to experience was those day to day things. In the new game that's going to be important as well. Plus some extra things I wasn't able to do before, and new original elements like the coffee fortune telling.

"I meet once a month with the producer of Deadly Premonition and we talk about various things. There are things I've come up with the producer has said no to. I suggested Deadly Premonition 2 should be as though Deadly Premonition 1 had never existed. I wanted to do everything from scratch, but the producer said I couldn't do that.

"So, for example, like with Spider-Man, you've got Spider-Man and the Amazing Spider-Man, so the same series but a different world. I wanted to do something like that but was told no. The producer said the fans love York, and so I have to carry on with him as the protagonist."

Meanwhile, SWERY confirmed his intention to release a Director's Cut of the first game during Access Games' 10th anniversary year - that is, at some point this year.

SWERY is after a publisher for this game, too, so was tight-lipped on details. "We are planning a Director's Cut of Deadly Premonition and there will be a proper announcement about that soon," he said. "I've been having a few meetings about that here as well.

"It's not finalised yet, but personally I'd like for us to be able to do it during this 10th anniversary year."

But, again, he did provide some details: "I'll be able to tell you more when the publisher has announced it formally. Just think about this as a rumour," he teased.

"We're working on the Director's Cut of Deadly Premonition, and I am writing some new script and scenarios. Whether those will be used or not, and how they'll be used, isn't decided yet.

"When Deadly Premonition went on sale, I got loads of feedback from the users, opinions, complaints. So I've got a list of about 200 things they want improved. I'm going through that list and choosing the things I think will be good to work on. I can't tell you in detail, but things like the controls and graphics."

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

Still waiting on that PS3 port.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By thedj93

amazing! good shot!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mutha3
    @Hizang: Read the article, he mentions that its coming this year.
    Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Joeyoe31

Neat. Video game announcements a plenty. Same with music too. Got to listen to Animal Collectives new album. Then there was TWEWY2 and now this. Great last couple of days if you ask me.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hizang said:

The asian ps3 release has english if you're desperate, but I'd hold on for that director's cut if I were you. 
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Bollard

I don't say this often but...

Endurance Run.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By supamon

Amazing! This may be my chance to finally play that crazy game, right Zach?

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By roborobb

@Chavtheworld said:

I don't say this often but...

Endurance Run.

Shhhh they'll hear you. Just hope for a miracle.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

FUCK YES! LETS DO THIS SHIT!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NegativeCero

This is well timed as I watch the DP Endurance Run. I wonder if he'll keep going with York, or if the first game's ending would make that too much trouble (I don't actually remember all of how the first game ended).

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Akrid

Directors Cut != Sequel.

Ed: Oh wait, plus a sequel.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Arbie

@supamon said:

Amazing! This may be my chance to finally play that crazy game, right Zach?

I think we should get married.

Also, VUHUUUUUU!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I find this statement interesting.

"I meet once a month with the producer of Deadly Premonition and we talk about various things. There are things I've come up with the producer has said no to. I suggested Deadly Premonition 2 should be as though Deadly Premonition 1 had never existed. I wanted to do everything from scratch, but the producer said I couldn't do that.
    "So, for example, like with Spider-Man, you've got Spider-Man and the Amazing Spider-Man, so the same series but a different world. I wanted to do something like that but was told no. The producer said the fans love York, and so I have to carry on with him as the protagonist."

That actually sounds kind of awesome. What if Deadly Premonition 2 pulled an Evil Dead 2?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Akrid

Directors Cut != Sequel.

Yeah I think that title is really misleading.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mutha3

my US 360 broke down like a year ago, so this better be a multiplat release!

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Akrid

Directors Cut != Sequel.

Yeah I think that title is really misleading.

Read the article, guys.

Not the part I quoted.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I wonder how much the Director's Cut will really "fix" and add. Like, what if the game looks and plays a lot better? Will it still be the same game? Hopefully they at least fix the map system.

@Joeyoe31: New TWEWY? Where?!!

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AngelN7

You hear that Zack? we're back in the game.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Insectecutor

I'm not sure more script is what it needs. If they fix the bullet sponges and the aiming I'll be happy. The phrase "directors cut" kinda worries me.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Morrow

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Rafaelfc

"The producer said the fans love York, and so I have to carry on with him as the protagonist."

This, in a nutshell is why I HATE producers in general... yes the fans loved York. No, we don't need 1000 titles with the same frakkin character!!!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlexW00d

Ugh.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mutha3
    @Rafaelfc said:

"The producer said the fans love York, and so I have to carry on with him as the protagonist."

This, in a nutshell is why I HATE producers in general... yes the fans loved York. No, we don't need 1000 titles with the same frakkin character!!!

Yeah, that was a bit sad to read. Leave the creative process in the hand of the director :/
    NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NegativeCero

@Dan_CiTi: It's being teased according to the source in this thread.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McGhee

YES. I just FKed all up in my coffee.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By McGhee

@Rafaelfc said:

No, but 2 titles would be nice.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Fix the motherfucker of a "map" and "combat" but leave all the open world charm.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Phatmac

Amazing! This is great news, right Zach?!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By mosespippy

@NegativeCero: I'm pretty sure York couldn't make an appearance unless it was a prequel. Zack could be in it though.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Turambar

Directors Cut obviously means the game will finally have bike riding.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By buzz_killington

Fuck. Someone shut his producer off. Swery wanted to do something entirely different, and the fucking producer told him no, bring York back. Fucking producers.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Reports say tropical island theme.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FritzDude

*Whistle Whistle*

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By supamon

@Erzs: Awww not even on the first date yet. haha.

How would York come back in the 2nd game anyway, unless he came back and swapped places with Zach again.

Chemi_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chemi_ro

I am so excited!

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ItBeStefYo

I wanna feel those feels again, I hope he can pull it off.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Monkeyman04

This is the most amazing thing to hear. I can't wait for #2.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By NathHaw

There's gonna be a plant in the new game named Emily. I just know it.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By WickedCestus

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH IM SO EXCITED I LOVE YOU SWERYYYY

Gosh, I am SO EXCITED.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#41  Edited By Pepsiman

Ended up reading an abridged translation of this article on a Japanese game news site before actually seeing the source material for myself. Strange how the news cycle works online these days.

Anyway, I'm somewhat surprised that the signs are seemingly pointing towards a sequel. Not that I'm complaining by any stretch, since I certainly enjoyed the original game for what it was, but I had just always figured that the IP was owned by Marvelous Entertainment since they published the original Japanese version and retaining those IP rights for a retail console game in this day and age is exceedingly rare, but judging by Swery's wording, it sounds like that isn't the case if he's talking to other companies about doing a sequel. I'm guessing he wouldn't otherwise be able to move forward with doing a sequel so easily, given the okay sales figures in the West but mediocre Japanese numbers for the original game. Also nice to hear that the director's cut version is still going as planned. I was wondering what was up with it since it was supposed to show up at this year's E3, so it's nice to hear it's still in production.

To comment on the producer remark specifically, I just want to point out that corporate Japan is not particularly known for being openly hospitable towards dissenting opinions. Part of Swery being seemingly pushed around by his producer is likely just the byproduct of general producer-creative lead relationships in games in general, but there's probably an additional cultural layer being added since it's specifically a Japanese company involved. In most social situations in Japan, you usually have to tread really carefully with how you present a viewpoint that contrasts somebody else's, especially if that person is in a position of power that commands some "automatic" respect. There are ways to stand your ground in the Japanese boardroom without being considered brash and rude; it's just that part of that process involves being at least superficially conciliatory and willing to hear out and acknowledge someone's opinions as being valid before you then gently start bargaining and present your own ideas. I suspect that's actually the sort of power play that's going on, but naturally, without a transcript of what Swery originally said in Japanese, I can't be certain. The translation of his remarks is worded in such a way that I suspect it comes across harsher and bleaker than what he likely intended, but again, it's all conjecture. Just thought I'd throw in that little tidbit to hopefully shed a little light on where Swery might be coming from as a specifically Japanese developer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.