Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

My theories on Kaysen (spoilers)

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By jclane
    Ironic that most of us,including my self probably shrugged that off as mere BS when it seemed to be true.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Well he does refer to 'you weak humans'.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

I think the plant had taken control of him and turned him into that!

I really dont want to read much into a DP plot!

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost

One thing I'm still confused about, what is the actual point of turning people into trees? It seems like they just die, and serve no further purpose. There has to be easier ways to kill people.

Tynian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tynian
    @sixghost: I think that killing the "host" was the only way to get a sapling of the red tree.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sixghost
    @Tynian said:
    " @sixghost: I think that killing the "host" was the only way to get a sapling of the red tree. "
    Oh, that makes sense.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By I_smell

Hey Zach, remember that case we were on? The one where the college professor cut open those girls?
    From the chest, right down to the crotch. And remember who he said told him to do it? That's right, Zach. Aliens.

Also I can't believe nobody really paid much attention to the fact that George had red trees growing in his front garden.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By jclane
    @I_smell said:
    " Hey Zach, remember that case we were on? The one where the college professor cut open those girls? From the chest, right down to the crotch. And remember who he said told him to do it? That's right, Zach. Aliens.  Also I can't believe nobody really paid much attention to the fact that George had red trees growing in his front garden. "
    Or the fact that he's license plate was HESTHE1 and he made it so obvious when he killed Becky and especially with Diane. 
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_smell

Toward the end there, I can't believe it, but I actually forgot about F K being in the coffee.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#11  Edited By Jazz

Jason?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I still think Willie's the brains of the operation. 

Anyone else notice the map of Greenvale resembles the outline of a dog?
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#13  Edited By JackiJinx
    @RiotBananas said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " Well he does refer to 'you weak humans'. "
    Yeah, that and the huge fucking plant that comes out of his head. "
    Or the fact that he needed to rape Emily in order for a plant to grow out of her uterus.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By I_smell

Was anyone else thrown off that Michael had the same finger-waggin animation as the raincoat killer?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I was when I first saw that. Was getting ready for a wheelchair bustarhymes boss battle.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_smell

Also I made a connection for a sec between Zach's mum saying "Kill me" and all the zombies saying "Kill me". As if it was all in Zach's head, cobbled together from traumatizing memories.
    But then I remembered that the zombies also say "Don't want to die". So I guess the zombies are just nothing to do with anything.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I always laughed a little inside when I shoot zombies and they say "Let me die". That was before "that" scene. Now I just get a little sad.
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ChickenPants

All the George stuff was pretty obvious. I was shocked that the guys didn't make a big deal of his license plate and the red trees on his house!

Aside from the initial Kaysen stuff - the red trees,FK in the coffee - I didn't think he was the main culprit. I had for a long time assumed he was just a pawn in all of this, possibly being used by the others for the seeds.etc. This idea was further supported by the dreams with Diane holding the Kaysen doll.

It wasn't until the Emily,Kaysen and Willie chase sequence that I really concluded that Kaysen was in fact the major player. While to some it just seemed like more of the elongated goofiness that we'd all come to expect from DP I felt that there was more to it. The scene was punctuated by conversations between Kaysen and Emily which surprisingly were not about finding York but about Kaysen himself. The game devoted quite a lot of exposition to Kaysen's backstory which didn't really seem necessary at the time but performed some important functions in the grand scheme of things.It hinted at Kaysen's greater involvement by developing him as a character and built a trust between Kaysen and Emily.During those conversations with the ridiculous music I couldn't help but feel that the developer was foreshadowing something. It was really a calm before the storm for their relationship,a really interesting device - establish scenes of happiness between the pair in order to add emphasis to the horror and betrayal of what was to come.
    The awkward way Kaysen spoke to York when he was bringing Emily to the hospital confirmed this beyond all doubt. While on the surface it appeared to be goofy ol' Kaysen being goofy ol' Kaysen once again it really was Kaysen cajoling and mocking York in a way.He was saying ''sure you can go after George and take care of him but aggreeing to leave your beloved Emily with me will lead you to much greater trauma and torment.'' Is was as if he was insulting York's deductive skills and ultimately punishing him for his lack of awareness/foresight.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By I_smell

All those things were exactly what drew me away from suspecting Kaysen. Right at the start of the game, when he was in the coffee and he sold seeds n carried that little red tree around I thought OH WELL THAT'S OBVIOUSLY THE GUY BEHIND IT ALL, but then they went so so long without mentioning all the obvious Kaysen stuff that I just got used to it and thought of him as an obvious bluff.

Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Princess_Isabela

there is a room for interpretation.
    I'll give you clue, "kaysen doll/fat man, Washington building". 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @I_smell said:
    " All those things were exactly what drew me away from suspecting Kaysen. Right at the start of the game, when he was in the coffee and he sold seeds n carried that little red tree around I thought OH WELL THAT'S OBVIOUSLY THE GUY BEHIND IT ALL, but then they went so so long without mentioning all the obvious Kaysen stuff that I just got used to it and thought of him as an obvious bluff. "
    Yeah, I thought that too. Another thing that threw me off is George's mutation at the end leaves him looking nothing like the Raincoat Killer. He's too big and bulky so I immediately thoguht that was also a bluff and thought it was Michael again.
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @jclane: Casein is an ingrediant found in milk that is all there is too it, aside from the fact that i am allergic, also spellcheck
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By I_smell

What the fuck Polly did you not notice how everyone in the town grew old except Kaysen??

Derios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Derios
    @I_smell said:
    " Hey Zach, remember that case we were on? The one where the college professor cut open those girls? From the chest, right down to the crotch. And remember who he said told him to do it? That's right, Zach. Aliens.  Also I can't believe nobody really paid much attention to the fact that George had red trees growing in his front garden. "
    Or more importantly that his licence plate says "HESTHE1".
    Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

so this is a better version of the happening?

TheDoubleJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By TheDoubleJ

i'm still kinda lost as to why he did all this
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Ryax

i called it would be kaysen when trophyhunter started a thread. 

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Olivaw

I figured Kaysen was possessed by some kind of ancient Lovecraftian god-being that wanted nothing more than to sow death and destruction and perhaps used the seeds (or created the seeds) to help further it's goals. Kaysen is immortal only because he is just a shell for an Old One, essentially.

Also Zach was the only one who could beat him because he is already crazy and been sheltered in the "white room" for years.

Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Cerogravian
    @Olivaw said:
    " I figured Kaysen was possessed by some kind of ancient Lovecraftian god-being that wanted nothing more than to sow death and destruction and perhaps used the seeds (or created the seeds) to help further it's goals. Kaysen is immortal only because he is just a shell for an Old One, essentially.  Also Zach was the only one who could beat him because he is already crazy and been sheltered in the "white room" for years. "
    While I do agree that Zork/Yach were protected by the split personality/generally crazy-thing, probably from some kind of directed madness Kaysen could exert (him being closely related to the seeds and their effects as well), I thought it was clear that he was not 'possessed', and not trying to sow destruction with the seeds; Kaysen was a huge plant-thing in disguise, possibly alien but I'll leave that discussion be, and he was merely reproducing, as one is want to do, regardless of origin. That he was a generally crazy guy and liked to amuse himself with the crazy antics of pathetic, mortal human beings was probably just a character flaw, or a result of an extremely long life. It's clear that he likes his manipulatin'...
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By I_smell

So did all the other red seed cases end with invincible plant monsters or what? They clearly never caught anyone on the previous cases.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By sarahsdad
    @I_smell: Maybe I missed some parts of the dialog, but by the end I had the impression that in the other cases they had caught would be immortals who screwed up/got discovered.
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By ashogo
    @I_smell said:

" Toward the end there, I can't believe it, but I actually forgot about F K being in the coffee. "

As did York, apparently. He seriously dropped the ball there.
    "Here, let me hand over my main love-interest to the guy who I clearly know is deeply involved in the murders!"
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RE_Player1

No Caption Provided
    Seriously though I think Kaysen was being possessed by a mutant plant that the government uncovered in the 50's. 
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MiniPato

In the beginning of the game in the Red Room you have to examine dolls spread out on a map of the United States. All the dolls are of Kaysen in different suits.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#36  Edited By LordAndrew
    @I_smell said:
    " So did all the other red seed cases end with invincible plant monsters or what? They clearly never caught anyone on the previous cases. "
    They caught the guys who performed the murders. They didn't catch Kaysen though, so he just kept going around the country telling people about the seeds. He convinced the others to perform the murders.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By I_smell
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @I_smell said:
    " So did all the other red seed cases end with invincible plant monsters or what? They clearly never caught anyone on the previous cases. "
    They caught the guys who performed the murders. They didn't catch Kaysen though, so he just kept going around the country telling people about the seeds. He convinced the others to perform the murders. "
    Did they not think to question those guys??
    Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Cerogravian
    @I_smell said:
    " @LordAndrew said:
    " @I_smell said:
    They caught the guys who performed the murders. They didn't catch Kaysen though, so he just kept going around the country telling people about the seeds. He convinced the others to perform the murders. "
    Did they not think to question those guys?? "

It's not that hard to believe that the other murderers didn't have severe mommy-issues that caused them to break down and spill their guts while they were in their third nigh-invincible form...

...And knowing the effects the seeds have on people, it's pretty likely that they would have been shot when discovered...

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SlasherMan

That's great and all... but where is BR-40??

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.