Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Deus Ex Stereotyping African Americans?

• 171 results
    TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Even if it were the only one in the game it would stand as a maybe. As it is right now, HELL no. Either OP hasn't gone farther than Detroit, or he's very selective of what his brain actually comprehends.

dillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By dillinger

Obviously anyone who is complaining about this has never actually been to detroit. Guess what, this is extremely fucking common, and like 80%+ of detroit is black, as well. It's not racist so much as it is accurate. Besides, this adds to the atmosphere. It makes far less sense to see a homeless white girl in detroit, and far more sense to see a homeless black girl, simply because of the density of african americans in the city, as well as the ethnicity of homeless in the city. All this shows me is that they did their homework.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, all those people putting on an Australian accent and saying "put another shrimp on the barbie, mate" or making convict jokes are fucking stereotyping racists too.

FUCK THEM AND THEIR RACIST WAYS. WHO CARES IF OUR SKIN ISN'T A COLOUR OTHER THAN WHITE, IT'S STILL RACIST MAN.

RagnarokRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By RagnarokRed
    @Khann said:

Yeah, all those people putting on an Australian accent and saying "put another shrimp on the barbie, mate" or making convict jokes are fucking stereotyping racists too.

FUCK THEM AND THEIR RACIST WAYS. WHO CARES IF OUR SKIN ISN'T A COLOUR OTHER THAN WHITE, IT'S STILL RACIST MAN.

There's a huge chasm between something discriminating like to Mr. Yunioshi and the word "mate". But feel free to over-react to some people questioning the reasoning behind some casting decisions I guess.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RagnarokRed said:

@Khann said:

There's a huge chasm between something discriminating like to Mr. Yunioshi and the word "mate". But feel free to over-react to some people questioning the reasoning behind some casting decisions I guess.

I disagree.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By YoThatLimp

@Meowshi said:

@AyKay_47 said:

Are you one of those people that thought Resident Evil 5 was racist too? Get the fuck outta here. This shit's as offensive as a dark-skinned potato.

Just because it doesn't offend you, doesn't mean it isn't racist. The woman sounds like the fucking Mammy Twoshoes from Tom and Jerry.

Yeah, actually a little shocking. Maybe she was on her way to the local minstrel show. Some of the voice acting/Dialogue in theis games comes off as terribly racist.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Animasta

@Khann said:

oh yes, because people totally do not stereotype americans or canadians too. like all californians say "dude", all canadians say eh...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a765be3dc058
    deactivated-5a765be3dc058

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If EVERY black character in the game spoke that way then sure, that's messed up. But it's one character and presumably somebody, somewhere speaks that way.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Grillbar

@kahjah said:

Loved this week's episode guys, I wanted to get everyone's take on something that I found while playing Deus Ex. I found some of the dialogue by some of the NPC's extremely offensive, One of the NPC's you find as soon as you get into the open world part of the game is a African American looking character who is speaking with a slave dialect. I was totally taken off guard and was really saddened that a game like this had content like this in it. I could understand if it was set in a time period that would dictate the use for it but this game is set way into the future.

I wonder if companies understand if this is offensive or if they just don't care. Please let's keep this conversation as adult as possible. I know the crew finished the game, I wonder if they came across this and if so what did they think about it?

Here is the dialogue in question.

im white, and i dont live under the african american guilt, since im from europe. but is this for real, first re5 now this. when i played LA Noire, everytime i acomidaded a car i was pulling over a black guy, so its that game allso doing sometihng down the same line... no i just think you see what you wanna see.

personally i dont think its a "slave dialect" its just really bad slang seen by people who dont use it combined with even worse voice acting

if you wanna go down that path why dont you allso talk about all the "racist" things done to the asian npc's

im not trying to belittle you

oh and personally i find the term african american offensive since they have to tag african on there or asian american like they are not really real original americans but again thats just me

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SeriouslyNow

All of the characterisations are a humourous reference to the original Deus Ex and not to be taken seriously as that game had awful accents.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG:

That was actually my first thought as well.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CaptainCody

Fuck off, I hate people who cry racism in such a pre-cognitive perspective.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By Branthog

First of all, let's watch it with the word "racist". A lot of you are using that word and clearly don't understand what it means. Racism is about asserting there is superiority or inferiority based on one's race. Doing a poor Asian accent is hardly racist. Doing a poor African-American accent isn't racist. Now, perpetuating certain absurd stereotypes based on race is often labeled as "racist" and depending on how a stereotype is used, I would probably agree that it has potential to be racist, itself the same way that using slurs to put down someone because of their skin color is racist (because of the implied inferiority/superiority that usage of the slur connotes).

Seriously, are you telling me that if someone is not very good at doing accents, they're racist? So how good does your fake accent have to be, before you're no longer a racist? When I mimic someone with a southern drawl, am I suddenly racist? When I say "eh?" or "aboot" or "hoser" in reference to Canada or something Canadian - even though it's done in all good nature and with intended warmth - am I being racist? Of course not. When all of these games put out by Ubisoft and other developers that rely heavily on Canadian voice acting (which is typically awful it seems . . . but maybe I'm just being racist?) and I hear a poorly done American accent - should I be crying "racist! they're all racist!"? Or should I just be dropping my head into my hands over how bad the acting is?

Let's take this a step further. What about the Canadian voice actors in Deus Ex doing a bad Chinese accent doing a bad imitation of an American? Is that double-super racist? (I refer to, for example, all the Chinese guys in the game who say "Hey, American! I like baseball!" in a mocking American accent).

Again, all of these things are demonstrations of poor voice acting and perhaps poor written dialogue. Not racism. The black woman digging through the garbage strikes me as the worst offense I've found in the game of poor voice acting, and it touches on some really insensitive stereotyping of the use of language. We think it's racist, because it sounds like something that would come out of the mouth of a white actor in black-face doing a routine in the 1920s. Of course, I would say it also sounds like something that would have come out of the mouths of a lot of southerners, regardless of ethnicity, many decades ago.

So, while it's popular to throw the word "racism!" around to just about every fucking thing you can imagine, I think it's far more appropriate to say that this is just another example of really bad voice acting -- and sorry, but that doesn't make it racist. Now, if she was digging around for something in the garbage that is stereotypically associated in our society with her ethnicity, then that would probably be fair to label racist.

I think the real important thing to take away from all this is that in a world full of great voice actors (or even good ones) and an entire country of hundreds of millions of people just to the south, why do developers continue to employ bad Canadian voice actors to completely butcher what are often otherwise very good games? I mean, for fuck's sake, you can't even get an American accent down right. I don't know if that's easy or hard to do, but I do know that you're like a half hour drive from a country filled with Americans who could probably pull off the American accent. I could maybe see other accents being harder to do well, since I don't know what the available talent pool is for quality accents (or even native) for other countries -- but I do know that French/Canadian, and American accents should be pretty easily for anyone on this continent to have done right.

And to close this unfortunately long rambling post out, let's not forget Sean Connery. A Scottish guy with a Scottish accent. Does that make him racist, because he uses that same Scottish accent to play an English secret agent? Or a Spanish Highlander? Or is that not racist, because he's not even bothering to do an accent?

STEREOTYPE: A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing

RACISM: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

A stereotype is not necessarily racist. Asserting or utilizing a "jock" stereotype or a "nerd" or "My name is buffy and my father owns this yacht club" stereotype is hardly racist. Not even necessarily offensive, though some may find them so. Especially if they're somehow exploitative. A stereotype about an ethnicity or nationality isn't even necessarily racist. It can be and the two can be associated, but one does not necessarily imply the other. Asserting that you are a superior race, because of your skin color? That's racist. Asserting that another race is inferior, because they "lack the mental capacity" or "are not civilized"? That's racist. The stereotypical "shrimp on the barbie!" Australian, the "It's aboot time for hockey, eh?" Canadian, the "I'm good at math" asian, and the "I have a flat butt and love mayonnaise" white guy are all stereotypes, but not racist.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Branthog

@CrazyBagMan said:

How does one character talking like that make it a stereotype?

What does the number of stereotyped characters in the game have to do with whether one of them is a stereotype? Do they have to come in pairs, like pant-legs?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm black and the fuck factory has ran out of fucks to give. Seriously, that wasn't offensive. 

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ravenlight

I don't think it's fair to single out any one character here. Pretty much all the VO work is halfassed.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By bybeach

weellllll shiiat Wat the he-all are you complaining about? Personally I thought a guy was va-ing her. Yeah Letisha..hmm, into Hot Devil beer, okay.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MrKlorox

French Canadians just don't have as many black folks to draw from. Nothing malicious or evil was intended. They're just dumb about the whole thing.

Same thing happens for southern stereotypes (rednecks) in games and most other media. Not every one belongs on Hee Haw or COPS.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Seauton

OP, I think it's honestly worse for you to say she is speaking in "slave dialect".....are you fucking kidding me?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ryanwho

Make that homeless person more articulate! 
    There is a real black southern accent and it sounds like that. Im sorry you live in some white liberal paradise and have no idea what the difference between a dialect and a stereotype is.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Branthog

@bybeach said:

weellllll shiiat Wat the he-all are you complaining about? Personally I thought a guy was va-ing her. Yeah Letisha..hmm, into Hot Devil beer, okay.

Yeah, the first time I heard her voice, I thought the character was possessed.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

Make that homeless person more articulate! There is a real black southern accent and it sounds like that. Im sorry you live in some white liberal paradise and have no idea what the difference between a dialect and a stereotype is.

Sorry mate but as someone who live in New Orleans for a while you're full of crap.

Does Ebonics exist? Surely. Does any real Black person sound like Letisha? Definitely not.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ryanwho
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@ryanwho said:

Make that homeless person more articulate! There is a real black southern accent and it sounds like that. Im sorry you live in some white liberal paradise and have no idea what the difference between a dialect and a stereotype is.

Sorry mate but as someone who live in New Orleans for a while you're full of crap.

Does Ebonics exist? Surely. Does any real Black person sound like Letisha? Definitely not.

Word, you lived in New Orleans and are an expert on all southern dialects. I lived in San Fransisco for half a year, ask me anything about LA.
    Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Seauton
    @SeriouslyNow
    Mate? People don't say mate in New Orleans!!! Only English people do....oh wait am I being racist now?......also I don't want to throw fuel on the flame but if you can tell from my avatar I am from Florida, and have heard many a people sound like the female in question if not worse...
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@ryanwho said:

Word, you lived in New Orleans and are an expert on all southern dialects. I lived in San Fransisco for half a year, ask me anything about LA.

That's not relevant. Black people do not sound like that. It's a white person's bad take of a backwoods Southern Black accent.

@Seauton said:

@SeriouslyNow: Mate? People don't say mate in New Orleans!!! Only English people do....oh wait am I being racist now?......also I don't want to throw fuel on the flame but if you can tell from my avatar I am from Florida, and have heard many a people sound like the female in question if not worse...

I'm Australian. Your point and thinking are redundant. There are these amazing things called airplanes and people move from country to country on them...IN THE AIR. Your avatar is more racist than this conversation. LOLJKLOL

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ryanwho

Hah, this guy. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

Hah, this guy.

Sorry, Mr. Fox News says Mass Effect is a Rape Simulator and I agree. I keep forgetting how well informed your opinions are.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Seauton
    @SeriouslyNow
    Wow Mr. Sensitive over here. Clearly you didn't catch on to my sarcasim directed at the idea of this thread :P.  Also, if you followed the NCAA's case against Florida State University, you'd realize that my avatar is far from racist, but I can't be bothered to lecture those who probably don't care enough to even check. Also, as ryanwho has said, I guess b/c you have lived in NO's for a while you are master of speech? KTHXBAI
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Seauton said:

@SeriouslyNow: Wow Mr. Sensitive over here. Clearly you didn't catch on to my sarcasim directed at the idea of this thread :P. Also, if you followed the NCAA's case against Florida State University, you'd realize that my avatar is far from racist, but I can't be bothered to lecture those who probably don't care enough to even check. Also, as ryanwho has said, I guess b/c you have lived in NO's for a while you are master of speech? KTHXBAI

I guess you missed my LOLJKLOL. You are a master of comprehension.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MrKlorox

@SeriouslyNow: You don't seem to realize there are dozens of southern dialects. Just because you haven't heard an accent like that doesn't mean they don't exist. Clearly you can tell the difference between Huckleberry Hound, Yosemite Sam, and Gambit of the X-Men (can't think of any other Cajun cartoons).

"Black people do not sound like that" is more of a generalizing stereotype than the caricature in question. The game didn't try to convey that's how all black folks sound; it tried to convey that's what THAT person sounded like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Branthog said:

@CrazyBagMan said:

How does one character talking like that make it a stereotype?

What does the number of stereotyped characters in the game have to do with whether one of them is a stereotype? Do they have to come in pairs, like pant-legs?

A stereotype is a generalization. How is one character among many others a generalization? People are too hung up on race and potential racism that they're so eager to be the first to call racism on anything that's even potentially offensive. Do I like the character? No. but it's not a stereotype and it's not racist. One definition I found for stereotype is " To give a fixed, unvarying form to.". If that's what's portrayed in the game, then I concede it to be a stereotype and racist, but I don't think you can argue the one character to be the unvarying form of black characters in the game.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Seauton
    @SeriouslyNow
    Yeah well...I did miss the LOLJK of your post. However, being a die hard I hate when people come at FSU and the "racism" involved...for all I know you could be a fucking gator fan.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@MrKlorox said:

@SeriouslyNow: You don't seem to realize there are dozens of southern dialects. Just because you haven't heard an accent like that doesn't mean they don't exist. Clearly you can tell the difference between Huckleberry Hound, Yosemite Sam, and Gambit of the X-Men (can't think of any other Cajun cartoons).

"Black people do not sound like that" is more of a generalizing stereotype than the caricature in question. The game didn't try to convey that's how all black folks sound; it tried to convey that's what THAT person sounded like.

Yosemite Sam isn't Cajun. Do you know where Yosemite is? It's in California. His accent is a reference to the expansion of White America across that state during the time of the Wild West. He is, in effect, a cowboy. It's why he has a Ten Gallon Hat and dual Six Shooters. Huckleberry Hound is Southern but certainly not Cajun. Your opinion is flawed by your inability to understand accents and the locales they relate to.

Black people do not sound like Letisha. It's not a generalisation.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Seauton said:

@SeriouslyNow:
    Yeah well...I did miss the LOLJK of your post. However, being a die hard I hate when people come at FSU and the "racism" involved...for all I know you could be a fucking gator fan.

NOW THIS IS RACIST. LOL

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By RsistncE

LOL

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Seauton
    @SeriouslyNow
    Yup, and I'm not afraid to say so. Fuck em'
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MrKlorox

@SeriouslyNow said:

@MrKlorox said:

Yosemite Sam isn't Cajun. Do you know where Yosemite is? It's in California. His accent is a reference to the expansion of White America across that state during the time of the Wild West. He is, in effect, a cowboy. It's why he has a Ten Gallon Hat and dual Six Shooters. Huckleberry Hound is Southern but certainly not Cajun. Your opinion is flawed by your inability to understand accents and the locales they relate to.

You seem to have missed the point of the whole last post. I was listing three very different southern dialects, and only ONE was supposed to be Cajun (as I specifically noted). The point was that these are all southern dialects, which do not sound the same.

I used to think you purposefully misinterpreted things so you could sling mud at people, but now I wonder what your capacity really is.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@MrKlorox said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@MrKlorox said:

You seem to have missed the point of the whole last post. I was listing three very different southern dialects, and only ONE was supposed to be Cajun (as I specifically noted). The point was that these are all southern dialects, which do not sound the same.

I used to think you purposefully misinterpreted things so you could sling mud at people, but now I wonder what your capacity really is.

Your inability to properly frame a thought. Not my capacity to understand what you mean.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By bybeach

I guess what I would say was Letisha was suppossed to be well more intelligent than she came on as a creature of the street. Thus Jenson asking her for advice and 'the mood of the city' But videogames are well known for having difficulty conveying things well. I think DX, human revolution actually tried to be an honest game, but you can't pull it off with one size fits all, though you have their hard-core and serious counterparts. Thus Malik, The Dragon Lady, Mr. Sandoval, Mr. Tong, and so on. There was comic relief and then there was serious. They tried.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#90  Edited By VisariLoyalist

yeah it is offensive but it's also just kind of a weird thrown together mix of performance and writing that illustrates they had no idea how to make a game with english dialogue going into the project.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Clonedzero

ive seen this specific example claiming the game is racist, but no other black characters in the game are shown with negative stereotypes, so its not really racist.

theres a bunch black characters in the game, thats the only one you could claim is being portrayed in a racist light. 
    what about the black general? or the black scientist lady?

she's not even a major character, she's a person you ask for directions around the city. theres tons of way more racist games.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ShockD

I noticed this too. Yes, they're stereotyping them and so what?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#93  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @kahjah: Yeah, but you see...that's how some black people talk bro.
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By John1912

Yea, dont really see a problem with her way of talking.  Im white though so it really doesnt throw up any red flags, or to even stop and take notice that something is "wrong" apparently.  Really dont see how the character is offensive, seems like a 2 out of 10 at best.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By GoofyGoober
    @TheSilentTruth: Same here. I am black and I found it funny, don't find it offensive at all.
    left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By left4doof
    @FluxWaveZ: What I mean to say is that it doesn't seem like it was intentionally racist. Had they know better , it wouldn't  be there .
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#97  Edited By ProfessorEss

Pretty hard to take it serious enough to worry about racial stereotyping. 
    I just chalk it up to another terrible VO performance.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#98  Edited By droop

Stereotypical voice acting is almost a part of the Deus Ex experience now.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Vodun

@GoofyGoober said:

@TheSilentTruth: Same here. I am black and I found it funny, don't find it offensive at all.

NO! White people have clearly pointed out you're supposed to take offense at this!!

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ShaneDev

I thought it was a little funny and cringe worthy because it's terrible voice acting. I was more bothered by the clothes she was wearing as in she seemed really well dressed for a homeless person, which made it even harder to take seriously. And no one should try and say the voice acting in this is worse than Deus Ex 1. Human Revolution has spotty points but Deus Ex 1 is just laughable throughout. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.