Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

Has there ever been a game more in-depth as this?

Archaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Archaic

8 years after it was released and I still haven't come across a game like Deus Ex, not even Invisible War. This game defines non-linear gameplay and everytime I play it I always notice something new. And Ive played this game through 4 times start to finish. The amount of care and attention to detail put all other game makers to shame.

If there ever had to be a game I'd label perfect, it would be Deus Ex.

Thoughts?

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By epic_pets

Wait, what system is that game for?

Archaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Archaic

PC and there was a PS2 port as well. You'd do best to buy it on PC.

HipHopHitler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HipHopHitler
    Many people look at and play Deus Ex from the wrong perspective: You don't necessarily play to win on the first go -  you try different routes, try attacking different areas utilizing different weapons or just go in guns blazing and shooting all the TNT boxes that are so handily placed in the most opportune locations.

I wouldn't label Deus Ex as perfect, but in terms of role-playing, open and non-linear gameplay as well as story integration (in a first person setting), and the sheer fun you can have experimenting, it's above and beyond many of today's games. 
    wazzup987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wazzup987

ditto i've played though 12 time and i still new stuff invisible wars disappointed me but yeah a completely agree

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tanuki

Every single time I play that game I always find a different way to sneak in somewhere or to reach my objective.  Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see another game as "in-depth" as this.  When DX1 was finished the team was given 6 months just to play the game and make sure it was bug free (and continued adding stuff as well).  Now developers either ship unfinished games or as soon as it's done with the "We'll patch it later" philosophy.  

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeadWeezel

I just finished Mass Effect (360 ver) and I am fairly confident placing it next to Deus Ex Machina as one of the best sci-fi games of this sort that I know of.

It's not exactly the same sort of cyberpunk story of course but the depth of choice, quality of dialogue and where that leads you later in the game feel utterly solid.
    All this despite the utterly broken inventory managment on the 360 (supposedly much better on PC)
    Anyone else?

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kloreep

Most perfect game I've played? No. But that's because it reaches so high. It's definitely one of the best games I've played.

The detail really is great. As others have said, the number of possible routes is amazing. I'm also impressed at how they make you feel like everything really is open ended. Even in parts where the game is in fact bottlenecking you, they do a good job of making the "choice" feel natural; and since you've gone through so many situations with real choice, you believe it's always there.

fig455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By fig455

I doubt we'll see anything similar, anytime soon. If ever.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By Davvyk

I just remember the first time i played through it.

I was in an aircraft parked in a hanger and i was with two NPC's (i dont remeber there names) both main characters. I jokingly shot one in the head then looked in amazement as they actaully died and the story adapted and carried on with my actions now part of it.

It blew my mind at the time and still to this date ive not had a moment like it in gaming

Killphuqdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Killphuqdie

I have a copy of Deus ex taped to my wall, in case I ever need it in an emergency.

Personally I think the only thing to come close enough to even see the walls of the grand castle that is Deus ex is KOTOR 2 and that was only for the story, the rest of that star wars bullshit and gameplay was crap, but the story made me feel like as I turned dark it really effected the people around me (unlike KOTOR 1 where everyone just made you feel like a jerk).

I never played invisible war, did it follow the plot of the first or anything? Has 3 been promised to do this or anything?
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yes, the Elder Scrolls series. Think what you will about those games, but they are as deep as games get.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

Many variables =/= good game.
    Many variables =/= depth.

Ichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ichi

Yes, there have been games with more depth, but that's not all that made Deus Ex great.  There probably hasn't been a better 'deep FPS' game ever, but some people might disagree with that.  Hell, there are people that think Zelda LTTP wasn't the best Zelda game.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Ichi said:
    "Yes, there have been games with more depth, but that's not all that made Deus Ex great.  There probably hasn't been a better 'deep FPS' game ever, but some people might disagree with that.  Hell, there are people that think Zelda LTTP wasn't the best Zelda game."

Well, yeah. I didn't even realize people thought LoZ: A Link to the Past was considered the best by anyone until this ^^. Most people believe Ocarina of Time is the best, which I wholeheartedly disagree with. I think Majora's Mask is the best.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Captain_Fookup

This game is the shit, even after all these years I play through and complete it at least 2-3 times a year. As far as depth goes the only thing that comes close is both Fallout 1 & 2.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The Elder Scrolls games are obviously so open but Deus Ex was great because it captured some of that feel while still giving a more focused experience.  It's such a shame that Deus Ex 2 was a joke.  I've never played a game that's probably as good as Deus Ex in general, but I can't for the life of me understand why someone doesn't make a game in the same style as Deus Ex.  I just mean in the FPS gameplay, depth of the RPG progression, quests, exploration, story, etc.  I liked Bioshock but it just didn't have the depth and everything that Deus Ex had.   No one really tries the spy/espionage type thing in the same deep, political, historical way either.

Maybe because it's such a hard thing to make a game so great, but I'd eat up stuff half as good. 

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By harris

Eve online is way more in depth. Not in the same way, but it is very complex and has practically infinite depth.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19  Edited By Sin4profit

Man, i only played Deus Ex once through. i remembered liking it but i won't know how much depth it has unless i go back again. But i dunno if the graphics are gonna be a buzz kill if i go back now. I dunno about being completely non linear..may have to go back in to get a feel for that.

The Elders scrolls are an example of non linear gameplay but not necessarily non linear story telling within the game.

But yeah, i dream nightly of a game that is as dynamic as Deus Ex but as truely non-linear like the Elder Scrolls games. Fallout 3 i liked, but it never felt like what you did had an effect on the world as a whole to me. 

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

harris said:
    "Eve online is way more in depth. Not in the same way, but it is very complex and has practically infinite depth."

I feel what you're saying.  Messed around with EVE a bit but it's an MMO and a completely different kind of depth.  Can't really compare the two.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21  Edited By Sin4profit

Man, i only played Deus Ex once through. i remembered liking it but i won't know how much depth it has unless i go back again. But i dunno if the graphics are gonna be a buzz kill if i go back now. I dunno about being completely non linear..may have to go back in to get a feel for that.

The Elders scrolls are an example of non linear gameplay but not necessarily non linear story telling within the game.

But yeah, i dream nightly of a game that is as dynamic as Deus Ex but as truely non-linear like the Elder Scrolls games. Fallout 3 i liked, but it never felt like what you did had an effect on the world as a whole to me. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Snail

I have never played this game, can anyone tell me what is so special about it and it's story-telling?

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snail said:
    "I have never played this game, can anyone tell me what is so special about it and it's story-telling?"

For the quickest description I can give, think Bioshock with far bigger environments to explore, all sorts of NPCs and items to interact with, and much more depth to its RPG progression (as in you can improve anything from your swimming ability to stealth to assault rifle skills).   Bioshock is in the same genre for comparison but it didn't have the depth in any category that Deus Ex had, so it's kind of a bad comparison.

Setting wise it's a near future conspiracy story that is well thought out.  Instead of being about obviously good characters vs bad guys like most games, it's political and believable (how about the fact that in its story the World Trade Center was destroyed in a terrorist attack before it happened in real life?).  It was so special because it gave the player such real choices and interesting decisions to make that didn't feel black and white in nature.  Throw in well written dialogue and interesting characters and you have IMO one of the better stories to appear in any game.

The gameplay is a shooter but it had a lot of depth with how it allowed you to tackle problems.  You could for example get into a facility by full frontal assault, buying a secret passcode that would allow you to sneak in undetected, swimming through an underground tunnel, etc.

If you're thinking about playing the game now, I would completely recommend it, as it did the FPS/RPG genre so well and had such a great story and all, but be prepared for dated graphics, sound, AI, etc.  A lot of it will still hold up though and a lot of it has never been done better in any game.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PureRok

I don't see what the big deal is with Deus Ex. I've played it and I found it be a pretty bad game.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inkeiren
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Ichi said:
    "Yes, there have been games with more depth, but that's not all that made Deus Ex great.  There probably hasn't been a better 'deep FPS' game ever, but some people might disagree with that.  Hell, there are people that think Zelda LTTP wasn't the best Zelda game."
    Well, yeah. I didn't even realize people thought LoZ: A Link to the Past was considered the best by anyone until this ^^. Most people believe Ocarina of Time is the best, which I wholeheartedly disagree with. I think Majora's Mask is the best."
    I don't mean to pick a fight, and from what I gather from your posts you're an awesome guy but...
    Ocarina of Time helped popularize context sensitivity. It raised the standard for how well designed and variable a gigantic open world can be in videogames.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Majora's mask, I even played it recently. It's a great game.
    But I don't think it's as great as Ocarina of Time insofar it's not as influential.

Edit: I am aware you made that post a while back. It's cool if you're bored with discussing it and would rather not address the issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.