Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Adam Sessler: 3 out of 5

• 185 results
    SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SagaciousJones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRyN6qUZ9Mc&list=WL28EFF34FD231AB0F

-Fast dynamic combat

-More accessible than previous DMCs

Dislikes

-Story is inspid

-Writing is embarassing

-Later levels are lacking

Glad to see a proper honest critique from a respectable gaming journalist. Pretty much every other mainstream review site is blindly praising the "bold energetic" redesign.

Some choice quotes:

"A main character who, while original, is every bit an empty adolescent power fantasy. Hell may not be other people; it may be just spending 15 hours with him."

"To be fair, Ninja Theory has made this the most understandable DMC game, but it works to the game's disadvantage because it highlights how uninteresting it is."

"Nearly every line of dialog set my teeth on edge. It's adolescent, it's puerile, and it's nowhere near as sassy and clever as the game thinks it is."

"A good game lost in a juvenile tantrum. It may be acceptable to a unique demographic, but for many others, it's a game you might want to play when no-one else is around."

And since I've played the demo to see just how shallow the combat is (maybe it's impressive to people who play God of War or something), I've had pretty much every one of my biased expectations confirmed. Thanks Ninja Theory!

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By psylah

FUCK YOU

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

SHIT ITS DMC 2 ALL OVER AGAIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just curious what makes Sess-money right and every other review who liked it wrong?

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all reviews i agree with are great

all reviews i disagree with are written by awful people who were probably bought out and don't know a goddamn thing about anything

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By CaptainTightPants

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just curious what makes Sess-money right and every other review who liked it wrong?

See here for your answer:

@drag said:

all reviews i disagree with are written by awful people who were probably bought out and don't know a goddamn thing about anything

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Fallen189
    @SagaciousJones said:

Glad to see a proper honest critique from a respectable gaming journalist. Pretty much every other mainstream review site is blindly praising the "bold energetic" redesign. 

What is that even meant to mean
    tyler1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tyler1285
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@CaptainTightPants said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@drag said:

Ahh that clears it up. Thank you both!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Because DmC is objectively a bad game, duh! Anyone who likes it is being slipped a little somin somin under the table. But seriously, though, this thread... now this is some adolescent, puerile nonsense right here.

It's not like I'm saying everybody must adhere to the changes and like the game, but the way certain individuals like the OP have gone about their comical distaste for this game is embarrassing, and somewhat hilarious, to watch. I also like how he deals in extremes calling the combat in this new one to be shallow, also judging solely by what he's played in the demo. It may not be as complex as DMC3/DMC4, but by not matching those heights that shouldn't automatically make it some shallow button masher instead.

As stated in the very OP, even Sessler himself, while not the biggest fan of some of its aspects, enjoyed the combat.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@CaptainTightPants said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@drag said:

And with this post, the thread is over.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Sessler's a middle aged guy who is tired of juvenile stuff. This new DmC, the old DMC, both were pretty juvenile and youthful games that attempted to highlight and embiggen different aspects of youth. Sess-Money just doesn't give a shit about that at this point in his life. He's too busy trying to be a grown up.

That's not to disparage him or his opinion, mind. As far as Sess-Money is concerned, it's a matter of his tastes in fiction and feelings on the necessity of "maturity" just don't align with my own.

Also I watched the review and he never once said the gameplay was bad. His major sticking points were the juvenile writing. Fair enough.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313

Always enjoyed reading/watching the reviews from Adam on G4 so thrilled to see this.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vashyron

OMG, because everyone who doesn't like a game you don't like is an honest critiquer and doesn't let their own personal opinions influence how they respond to games and everyone who likes games you don't like are drinking the kool-aid!!!!!!!!

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazielCuts

I'm all for games being considered art but I don't think you can hold every game under the same microscope if that's not what they're setting out to do.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By abendlaender

3 out of 5 despite Dante having black hair right now? Shame on you Sessler, shame on you!

Should be more like -10 out of 5!!

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By project343

@SagaciousJones said:

You come off like a complete ass for saying something like that. Making assumptions about the intentions and motivations of game critics is such a forum-troll-y thing to do. You are disregarding other opinions (calling them 'blind' and questioning their 'respectability') so that you can reaffirm your own opinion.

Everything that I've seen in this video review (footage-wise) gives me the impression that this is more a Devil May Cry that I may actually enjoy--moving away from the overly-Japanese-anime meets metalhead-headbanging aesthetic (something that I've always found to be a complete put-off). It does look more energetic. Those environments are fucking beautiful looking, the colour palette is refreshingly varied, and the disorienting invasion of supernatural into reality seems so dynamic and fresh. Calling it 'bold and energetic' seems like one of the most obvious things to say about it.

Hopefully we won't see you slandering Brad as a paid-off herd-follower if he calls it the 'best-in-series.'

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By august

My prediction: Brad gives the game 4 stars and we NEVER HEAR THE END OF THIS CRIME

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SagaciousJones

I didn't mean to imply that other publications are being dishonest in their positive reviews, just that I admire Sessler for not being to afraid to honestly voice a strongly negative opinion.

Still, it's not surprising seeing all of the same sites that gave The Old Republic perfect scores giving out 9s and 8s to DMC. It's the reason I have to come to special sites like this or seek out the good voices like Sessler to get a real reflection of what a game will be like.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I dunno after watching that review none of the dialogue they show as examples seems as eye rolling-ly terrible as Sess makes it out to be. Might not have been his thing but doesn't seem actively bad from what little I've seen.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By pr1mus

@Video_Game_King said:

@CaptainTightPants said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@drag said:

And with this post, the thread is over.

I would even consider the thread over after the first reply!

@psylah said:

FUCK YOU

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SagaciousJones said:

I didn't mean to imply that other publications are being dishonest in their positive reviews, just that I admire Sessler for not being to afraid to honestly voice a strongly negative opinion.

Because it takes sooo much courage to have a strong negative opinion on a major video game release. I mean, it's not every day that you see somebody complain about Mass Effect 3 or Grand Theft Auto IV or Borderlands 2 or Assassin's Creed III or Far Cry 3 or anything like that. It takes true bravery to say nasty things about such games.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Yummylee

@SagaciousJones said:

A 3 star game is ''strongly negative''?

@RazielCuts said:

I'm all for games being considered art but I don't think you can hold every game under the same microscope if that's not what they're setting out to do.

I agree. It's a good review, but that line was a bit unfair. If anything it's like he's taking the stance of the mainstream news press and how they'll cherry pick the dumber, more OTT examples to prove their point about how immature video games are. With that sort of mindset, I suppose film must also be completely exempt from being viewed as art because there's a film out there called Zombie Strippers about... well, zombie strippers.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By project343

@SagaciousJones said:

Still, it's not surprising seeing all of the same sites that gave The Old Republic perfect scores giving out 9s and 8s to DMC. It's the reason I have to come to special sites like this or seek out the good voices like Sessler to get a real reflection of what a game will be like.

Most of those perfect scores reviewed the leveling experience of The Old Republic. That leveling experience is, by most accounts, spectacularly well-produced. The negativity comes in when we talk about the missing/buggy (at the time) end-game. Those reviews are not 'wrong.'

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm so done with giving specific reviews their own thread.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SagaciousJones

@Yummylee said:

Sessler thinks the gameplay's good enough to justify that much, but there's aspects of the game he obviously loathes. You can't look at those quotes I picked and not say otherwise.

Also, Sessler is fair to make the complaint about the standards of art because that's how NT (Tameem, specifically) has been painting the game--as this big artistic statement about society wrapped up in an action game. Have you not seen any of his interviews?

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gravier251

As someone who has played every Devil May Cry game to date, I was beginning to feel tired of Dante after 4. He had no redeeming qualities. That entire game was him handing a cult the sword Sparda so they can kill countless innocent people and give him a chance to show off and crack underwhelming one-liners.

The reboot has enjoyable combat, some really great, enjoyable visual design. And there are good character moments along with Dante growing as a character and having a few rather powerful "oh, wow, I actually care about these characters and what happens to them" moments. (Mission 12 for one) Which never really occured with Dante + interchangeable female sidekick 1-3.

I enjoyed the new take on Devil May Cry, it might be my favourite entry in the series even. I want to see Ninja Theory carry on with the license. But what do I know, i've only played the whole game through once on Nephilim difficulty and the first chapter on Dante Must Die beyond that thus far. Along with having heavily played the series over the years. I must be objectively wrong in my opinion though and Ninja Theory are bribing me.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FourWude

HAI YOU GAIZ!! I FOUND A REVIEW THAT AGREES WITH MY OPINION. THIS IS THE ONE TRUE REVIEW ABOVE ALL OTHERS.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By musubi

And what is wrong with liking juvenile things every once in awhile? I feel like some people are try-hards when it comes to trying to present themselves as an "adult"

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RobertOrri

Sessler tends to be a bit tougher on things than most reviewers, I'll give him that. I've never cared much about this series so I have no stake in it, only played the first game.

Looks like Ninja Theory might have managed to craft a good game after all. I liked Enslaved but it fell short in some parts, and Heavenly Sword I thought was... lacking.

I still think the new Dante is awful.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Yummylee

@SagaciousJones said:

@Yummylee said:

Sessler thinks the gameplay's good enough to justify that much, but there's aspects of the game he obviously loathes. You can't look at those quotes I picked and not say otherwise.

Also, Sessler is fair to make the complaint about the standards of art because that's how NT (Tameem, specifically) has been painting the game--as this big artistic statement about society wrapped up in an action game. Have you not seen any of his interviews?

No, but I wouldn't care. I've never went into a DMC game expecting artistic expression and I'm not going to start now. Tameem may have most likely failed with his attempts to tell a meaningful story, but the environments are still going to look fantastic and the combat is still looking to be fun so whatever.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lucifer

I don't want to be the "score guy" here, but Adam gave DMC4 the same 3 star score while working at G4, the same score DmC got.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/20131/devil-may-cry-4-review/

He probably finds them to be roughly the same quality, and I think he just isn't too high on this franchise period.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yummylee

Haha.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Bocam

He also says in the review that DmC will be a polarizing game.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SuperWristBands

In reference to the writing he says: "video game equivalent of a teenager saying "meh"". That's pretty funny to me.

There was a moment a few months ago where I thought I would buy this game new. The interest past pretty quickly so I'll probably pick it up at a later date if it goes down in price.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By frankfartmouth

I see what he's saying. I'm only a few years younger than Sessler, and I've found myself reacting similarly towards some of the same stuff. Sometimes the juvenile writing in certain games is kind of fun, and sometimes it's cringe-inducing. It just depends. A lot of gamers are crossing into their forties now, and there are tons in their late twenties and thirties, so I suppose it's a complaint you'll hear more and more.

I'm still gonna get this though. I've always liked DMC. And it's not like the writing was anything marvelous in any of the other ones.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By Cincaid

I think what I hate the most are people who write DmC, and not DMC.

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By pr1mus

@Cincaid said:

Yeah but it says DmC on the box itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil May Cry gives Adam Sessler 3 out of 5.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By Cincaid

@Pr1mus said:

@Cincaid said:

Yeah but it says DmC on the box itself.

Then I hate the box even more. :(

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By falserelic

I'll forge my own opinion once I play the game.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By BlastProcessing

@psylah said:

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
    morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By morningstar

@drag said:

This sums it up.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nettacki

I think a lot of people are disappointed with DmC because of the devs essentially saying "fuck you and what you like" to the old fans of the series, as if to say every concern they have for the game, legit or not, isn't even worth the effort. Also, the story was a strong focus in the previews, and its supposed lack of quality makes it harder to judge since its supposed to be Ninja Theory's strong point.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By psylah

@BlastProcessing said:

@psylah said:

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

I guess I never really thought of it that way, it seems rather ironic when you think about it.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the trFUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48  Edited By granderojo

@mrfluke said:

https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/290893503901364224

I'll buy it when it's on sale but yeah really looking forward to seeing what Brad has to say about this. I'm one of the weirdos that preferred Dante's Inferno and Bayonetta to God of War III.

That all said, man it's good hearing Sessler talk about games again. Wish Rev3 would update their twitter with all his videos, don't want to miss any of them.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Brendan

Watch out folks, we got a thinker here.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Review threads are so 2011.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.