Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

DmC Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By graf1k

That's kind of a shame, although if DMC4 was the game with the biggest initial shipment of 2M copies, that must mean the series was never a huge seller which should mean Capcom can't be too disappointed by this. I only ever played the original game all the way through and while I liked the combat even back then I thought the story was kind of stupid and the characters were pretty one dimensional and forgettable so I had no bias for or against this reboot but I'd like to pick it up for cheap eventually as I....appreciated Ninja Theory's last game.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#102  Edited By Icemael

@Humanity said:

@Icemael: Ok well stop playing I guess, no reason to waste time on something you don't enjoy.

I never said I'm not enjoying it.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By theveej

@Demoskinos: I'v heard mixed things about the Wii U version, if I end up getting Wii U for some other great game/games I'm definitely gonna pick it up. Also Ninja Gaiden Black is so ridiculously good its not even funny, for a while I was hoping for a Ninja Gaiden 2 : Black, but without Itagaki its a mute point.

@Yummylee: yep the music in DmC is dope, I remember DMC 3 having a good soundtrack also.

Signus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Signus

And now Capcom is in an unwinnable position. They were definitely pushing for more units sold if they were willing to go through with the reboot and handing the game to a talented, but unproven, western developer. I can't imagine they made money on a million shipped because this game seemed like it was in development for at least 3 years, considering Capcom had to come in and do damage control when it came to the gameplay.

Now they are left with a split fanbase, part of which is still fuming about DmC even existing, so they are left with the same problem they had when DMC4 came out. What do they do with Devil May Cry next? Obviously there's a very passionate group of people who will support the old games, so making a Devil May Cry 5 is probably the safest option. But has Capcom alienated them? What about the people who just got started with DmC? How do you get them to buy into this old universe? They are the ultimate losers in all of this and I can't say they didn't get what was coming to them. Any publicity is good publicity, right?

I guess I should feel bad about Ninja Theory, who yet again prove that they make a games that can cause the media to become starstruck, but fail to translate that into commercial success, but I don't. Perhaps if they had been less antagonistic towards people unhappy with the new direction they would be getting more sympathy for me, but since they'll get another shot at making the big time, they're probably just shrugging and working out what they're going to do for next-gen.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By KittyVonDoom

At least a few people will see you as Dante, Mr average looking video game art director person.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Neonie

"Shipped".

Doesn't account for all the copies they sold that they didn't "ship".

Signus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Signus

@Neonie said:

"Shipped".

Doesn't account for all the copies they sold that they didn't "ship".

If you mean digital sales, if they made significant amounts of money off of it, they would have mentioned it. This is directly from an earnings report, so there's really no reason to keep that secret from investors.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By cannonballbam

@mlarrabee said:

Aw, it sold only sixty million dollars-worth.

Chump change.

Haha serious. Everyone expected this to ship low otherwise they wouldn't of had something new to complain about.

Below are some amazing games that haven't even reached that level of success; all except for one.

• Casltevania: Lords of Shadow: 1,270,000+ units
    • Catherine: 750,000+ units
    • The Darkness 2: 449,000+ units (not including PC)
    • Asura's Wrath: 380,000+ units
    • Shadows of the Damned: 330,000+ units
    • Deadly Premonition: 230,000+ units
    zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By zels

So basically - goodbye DmC2?

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111  Edited By Shinryu
    @zels said:

Pretty much.
    KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By KittyVonDoom

@cannonballBAM said:

@mlarrabee said:

Chump change.

Haha serious. Everyone expected this to ship low otherwise they wouldn't of had something new to complain about.

Below are some amazing games that haven't even reached that level of success; all except for one.

I'm thinking some of those "amazing" games were lucky to reach even those numbers.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By granderojo

@Shinryu said:

@zels said:

Pretty much.

This game is not selling bad. DMC4 was a packin and that's the only reason why it sold as high as it did. DMC has never been a CoD in terms of sales.

Signus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Signus

@zels said:

Who knows, but it seems unlikely Capcom will double down on the new DmC universe that only performs half as well as the old one did. It could means no more DMC of any kind, with Itsuno tied up with Dragon's Dogma now, there's probably no one in the company able to oversee development of any sort of DMC5 either.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By zels

@thabigred said:

@Shinryu said:

@zels said:

Pretty much.

This game is not selling bad. DMC4 was a packin and that's the only reason why it sold as high as it did. DMC has never been a CoD in terms of sales.

It's not about sales number in a vacuum. When you're an investor/senior exec and a product undersells this much relative to expectations it's a serious hit to the company.

When you consider that they've rebooted the franchise to appeal to a wider audience and increase sales figures the picture seems to get even bleaker.

Signus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Signus

@zels said:

@thabigred said:

@Shinryu said:

@zels said:

Pretty much.

It's not about sales number in a vacuum. When you're an investor/senior exec and a product undersells this much relative to expectations it's a serious hit to the company.

When you consider that rebooted the franchise to appeal to a wider audience and increase sales figures the picture seems to get even bleaker.

This. All of the turmoil and vitriol Capcom went through was for one thing, a Devil May Cry that was much more capable of bringing in money than what was there previously. They were willing to risk any sort of goodwill they had with DMC fans just to achieve this goal and they've come up dreadfully short. By any standard, DmC did very well critically, but the sales aren't nearly where they were hoping. Early quotes were something crazy like 5 million, then they dwindled down to 2 million (which isn't any better than the series has done previously), and now they are down at a mere million.

They'll make their money back probably, they only get around 30-40 dollars a game, but people tend to forget that DmC was in development for a very long time. There was basically an entire year where the project went dark while Ninja Theory was hiding it from press events while they were remaking it, and that was a while after it was announced.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Neonie

@Signus: I was referring mostly to Steam and PC sales. I'm not saying they are hiding the numbers even, but I kind of wonder if Capcom and some of these other game publishing companies are taking full account into their PC digital sales when they talk to share holders and such. Not to mention it released later on PC so those numbers might not have been as readily available yet.

Signus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Signus

@Neonie said:

@Signus: I was referring mostly to Steam and PC sales. I'm not saying they are hiding the numbers even, but I kind of wonder if Capcom and some of these other game publishing companies are taking full account into their PC digital sales when they talk to share holders and such. Not to mention it released later on PC so those numbers might not have been as readily available yet.

It did come out later, but as DMC is not a traditional PC title in a genre that is absolutely best played on a controller, I have no idea if it made much of a dent in things. It's a wonderful port, but I just can't imagine Capcom not saying something about it if it did something.

And that's saying if they don't just lump it in with the shipped units for brevity, which is possible. Maybe they didn't have the data for it because it came out later or because of some agreement with Valve about when that information is given to them, but I think on the day of launch, the peak playerbase of DmC on Steam was only something like 5000. If you take that into account, it probably didn't scratch 100k sales or anything crazy and it dropped off the best sellers list fast.

That's another story about this game, is how badly a lack of legs it seems to have. It's why I'm not surprised Capcom is only expecting to ship another 200k copies out in 2 months and I doubt they'll even hit that estimate. It seems like everyone who wanted this game bought it and everyone else has steered clear.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It had some major issues thats put me off from buying at launch. If you buy the pc version now, and you want 3 extra skins? Its 3.50$ on steam now. Plus, theres not a retail release. Steam doesn't work well with high latency internet providers. So I have to wait to get it. The ps3 isn't that great. Apparently the framerate drops pretty often. On a game that looks worse than DMC4, but has a lower framerate too. Not to say it looks bad... The 360 version is techincally fine. But why would I get it when I know the pc experience is just going to be more enjoyable?

Not having a retail pc release forces me to wait until a steam sale. I don't believe in paying full price for a digital download. 40$ max, and I'd be hard pressed to pay that.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By mordukai

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Hailinel said:

@ll_Exile_ll

1 million isn't exactly bad. It may not be meeting expectations, but 1.2 million certainly isn't a failure for a game like this.

Tell that to Resident Evil "Sold nearly 5 million copies and is still a failure" 6.

Success depends largely on budget, which is different for every game. 1 million unit sales would be a colossal failure for something like GTA V which likely has a budget of nearly $100 million, but DMC probably didn't even have a tenth of that. I guarantee you this game made money.

The only thing outside of money that share holders like, is more money.

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

1 million isn't exactly bad. It may not be meeting expectations, but 1.2 million certainly isn't a failure for a game like this.

I agree. I bet this will easily be Ninja Theory's higest selling game. They are a studio that does not sell. Capcom must of known this. I would like the game to do better but 1 million is not bad. I remember when Catherine sold 200k and Atlus was pumped. Maybe developers need to be smarter with their budgets.

Heavenly Sword sold about a million and half units on a single platform and Ninja Theory still said it wasn't enough so I have no idea what is going on with them. It seems like they just can't break the ice. Maybe they should do what Double Fine did and move development to smaller "indie" type games.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By granderojo

@zels: @Signus: You guys need to detach what companies say publicly from what they target internally. Selling over 2 million which is not inevitable at this point but highly likely is a good target. Also they didn't just make a game to try to appeal to a wider audience, they also made a solid quality product. The game will get a sequel on critical acclaim alone, and I am certain they will make a good net profit from it.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By zels

@thabigred: On a more serious note - only if they've made a big enough profit margin despite the poor sales.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By granderojo

@zels said:

@thabigred: On a more serious note - only if they've made a big enough profit margin despite the poor sales.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By zels

@thabigred said:

@zels said:

@thabigred said:

@zels: @Signus: You guys need to detach what companies say publicly from what they target internally. Selling over 2 million which is not inevitable at this point but highly likely is a good target. Also they didn't just make a game to try to appeal to a wider audience, they also made a solid quality product. The game will get a sequel on critical acclaim alone, and I am certain they will make a good net profit from it.

I like this game, your turn.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By OfficeGamer

Gives me a little more faith in earth to know that you can still get bit in the ass for abandoning a monument you built and had millions following it, for a 'fresh start' and a 'wider audience.' You want a fresh start? Make a new fucking fresh IP. Don't fuck up something that millions love the way it is.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#127  Edited By TheHT

@thabigred said:

The game will get a sequel on critical acclaim alone

Oh boy, I wish that was always the case.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By BlastProcessing

Well it barely had any marketing, the hardcore fanbase of the franchise wants nothing to do with it, and it's an 8-12 hours game with probably not much replay value.

I'm not shocked.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#129  Edited By musubi

@BlastProcessing said:

Well it barely had any marketing, the hardcore fanbase of the franchise wants nothing to do with it, and it's an 8-12 hours game with probably not much replay value.

I'm not shocked.

My 84 hours played begs to differ on the replay value sentiment. Its entirely repayable if your the kind who obsesses about score and rank and whatnot.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Really unfortunate its a great game, I wonder if the DMC brand isn't as popular as we once thought, anybody know how DMC 4 sold four years ago? What about the PC sells? I'm betting anybody who wanted to play DMC probably held out for the PC version for that beautiful 60 FPS , also I believe the game didn't take an ultra powerful rig to run that game at max.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Lysergica33

This makes me kind of sad. Having said that, 1mil copies is a lot, but this IS Capcom we're talking about..

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Karkarov

@Brighty said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

I agree. I bet this will easily be Ninja Theory's higest selling game. They are a studio that does not sell. Capcom must of known this. I would like the game to do better but 1 million is not bad. I remember when Catherine sold 200k and Atlus was pumped. Maybe developers need to be smarter with their budgets.

Their whole reason for the reboot in the first place was to expand the audience of DMC and westernize it to make it appeal to more consumers. Their initial projections for the reboot were similiar to RE series - 5 million. This was then lowered to a more reasonable number of 2 million - which I fully expected that this game would hit - but for it to only rake in 1.2 million projected sales... that's absolutely a failure for this game. That's roughly a million copies less than its predecessor when the whole point of the game was to gain more of an audience than DMC4.

The game is a critical success - metacritic doesn't lie - but when it comes to sales, this game is a complete failure. Which is a god damn shame, IMO. The game is fine, but I can't help but think that some of this may have been avoided if the game didn't have some abysmally terrible PR and marketing behind it, especially when it came to alienating the old fanbase.

Dude it has been out what... a month and a half? Games don't stop selling because they have been out two months. Just saying. Also this says "ships" is this even counting pc sales? As for alienating the old fan base... stop confusing idiots on the internet with a fanbase. I have played and bought every DMC save the abysmally bad 2 which I just rented and I like DmC just fine. I am definitely a part of the "old fanbase" and I don't feel alienated.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By fatalbanana
    cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By cannonballbam

@KittyVonDoom said:

@cannonballBAM said:

@mlarrabee said:

Chump change.

I'm thinking some of those "amazing" games were lucky to reach even those numbers.

The snide one liner strikes again. I would love to hear your favorites that have undersold?

zzzellyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By zzzellyn

Just to be clear here for anyone who is confused: 'shipped' units are units that Capcom had pressed and sent out to retailers like GameStop, Amazon, BestBuy, etc. They are not sales. I repeat, they do not indicate an actual sale to a customer. If I print one million copies of a game and send them out but only sell three copies, then I've still shipped 1,000,000.

Second, one million units does not equal 60 million in sales for Capcom. It's more like 25-30 million since they have to cover licensing fees to Sony and Microsoft, the cut the retailers get, the cost of distribution and then eventually they have to pay to get those games back when they sell. If they have trouble offload a lot of their stock they'll make even less than 25-30 million.

@TheHT said:

@thabigred said:

The game will get a sequel on critical acclaim alone

Oh boy, I wish that was always the case.

Yeah, where is Burnout Paradise 2? NFS Most Wanted only sort of counts.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Nettacki

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Also turn up the difficulty if you people are seriously such a stickler for that shit.

Turning up the difficulty isn't enough for some people. For them, it doesn't make the game harder, just more annoying.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Brighty

@WeaponBoy said:

Just to be clear here for anyone who is confused: 'shipped' units are units that Capcom had pressed and sent out to retailers like GameStop, Amazon, BestBuy, etc. They are not sales. I repeat, they do not indicate an actual sale to a customer. If I print one million copies of a game and send them out but only sell three copies, then I've still shipped 1,000,000.

Second, one million units does not equal 60 million in sales for Capcom. It's more like 25-30 million since they have to cover licensing fees to Sony and Microsoft, the cut the retailers get, the cost of distribution and then eventually they have to pay to get those games back when they sell. If they have trouble offload a lot of their stock they'll make even less than 25-30 million

Yep, not to mention an automatic 25% of whatever this game makes immediately goes to Epic for use of the Unreal Engine license and you don't paint a pretty picture here for Capcom's return investment on this game.

Anyway, here's a really interesting article on this whole debate

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/02/05/are-fans-to-blame-for-lower-than-expected-dmc-sales/

zzzellyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By zzzellyn

Is Capcom still insanely protective of their MT Framework engine? I dare anyone to go back to DMC4, RE5, etc. and tell me those games don't look good. You can dislike the style and whatever else, but you're out of your mind if you don't think that what that engine was capable is amazing, especially for a game made five years ago. Maybe after Enslaved NT was just more comfortable in Unreal.

@Nettacki said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Also turn up the difficulty if you people are seriously such a stickler for that shit.

Turning up the difficulty isn't enough for some people. For them, it doesn't make the game harder, just more annoying.

Frankly, this is doubly true of DmC. On the one hand it's doing the generic DMD trick of 'meaner enemies sooner and they can DT,' which is cool, but beyond that the problem I have is that a lot of those fights just include angle and demon enemies and they just aren't fun to fight (witches above all). I just find it annoying because it limits my options and forces me to either run around like an idiot waiting for a good moment or to just abuse certain mechanics (Round Trip for Angel-types, Tremor for Demon types) to keep them stunlocked or otherwise indisposed while I deal with the rest. It just makes it feel like I'm working around the game rather than engaging it directly.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I have really been meaning to buy it, but I just don't have the money for it right now. :/

LotusPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By LotusPrince

@Hailinel said:

@Sackmanjones
    Really unfortunate considering this game is the best the series has ever been.
    DMC3 says hi.

Personally I think 4 is the high point, because I like silly, campy, japanese things. 3 is completely rad though so no arguments on the quality.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SagaciousJones

@WeaponBoy said:

Is Capcom still insanely protective of their MT Framework engine? I dare anyone to go back to DMC4, RE5, etc. and tell me those games don't look good. You can dislike the style and whatever else, but you're out of your mind if you don't think that what that engine was capable is amazing, especially for a game made five years ago. Maybe after Enslaved NT was just more comfortable in Unreal.

I don't think that's been a thing for years.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/18/capcom-to-provide-mt-framework-2-0-to-its-external-studios/

NT confirmed that MT was an option, but decided they didn't want to spend time learning the tech.

http://press2reset.com/2012/03/22/devil-may-cry-developer-justifies-use-of-unreal-tech/

LotusPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By LotusPrince

@Demoskinos said:

@Humanity: Thats exactly what I don't think these people are getting. This is a reboot. It was never SUPPOSED to be anything like the other game. Its like when JJ Abrhams pumped out a Star Trek movie. The Star Trek Abrahams made. It was never SUPPOSED to be like the original. It was his vision not was Roddenberry had in mind when the first movie was made. Its this weird grief cycle where its like people cant cope with the fact that this game has Devil May Cry printed on the cover of the disc.

If the DmC was never supposed to be anything like the original, then why not just make a new IP? I know it's harder for new IPs to sell, but you have to start somewhere. God of War 1 was a new IP, a great game, and it took off. DmC could have been a new IP, not had any of the baggage or Ninja Theory( and by proxy games press) antagonizing fans and then sold on its own merits. None of that "well if it was a new IP, no one would have payed attention to it" laziness ether. If that was the case, DmC being a new thing instead of a reboot and not much buzz coming form it, then thats a sign that Ninja Theory need to put out some trailers, or some press releases or something. Being new is not an excuse of mediocrity. If it's half as good as the positive reviews its been getting it should have no issue selling.

Reboots are not bad things in and of themselves. The DC comic Animal Man got a reboot( relaunch, whatever, it means the same thing, stuff is new and exciting) and managed to improve, substantially even.

The series was never perfect, but putting it in the hands of Ninja Theory was misguided, I think. To follow with you example of the Abrahams Star Treck, I think that the reason the game has Devil May Cry on the cover is the source of the frustration. Four Games with mostly consistant styles makes people have certain expectations. I like Abrahams' Star Treck. Not inspiring, but not horrible. I can totally get why peopel who like Star Treck to be a certain kind of Si-Fi have no intrest in that particular reboot. The issue here is a disagreement is overall tastes. Personally, if I look past my annoyance with Ninja Theory, ALL of DmC's characters, and plotting would seem trite. Like, its everything was wrong about comics starting from the early 90s to 2003ish is distilled into Dante. Again, this is just my personal tastes talking. I like campy, fun things. DMC1,3 and 4 was that. I don't like what reads like the faux-depth this game utilizes with its story. Ninja Theory should know better, they have had 10+ years of references from the original series and its contemporaries. This includes their own games. (I have not played any of them so maybe they suck too, idk.)

@Yummylee said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Humanity: Yes, especially the music. Holy shit the irony in that. Like I'm a fan of both music in DmC and DMC 3 mostly because I have a penchant for trashy rock music but fuck man that is like calling the pot calling the kettle black.

DmC undoubtedly has the best soundtrack of the lot if only for this little beauty:

Combichrist is rad. No doubt. That's the one good thing I've been able to take away from DmC.

trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By trav

That's a shame. It's too bad the loud voices of negativity drowned this game, because it really is solid.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#145  Edited By Humanity

@LotusPrince: Once again it's important to remember that in interviews NT have said that they wanted to make a game very similar to old DMC titles and CAPCOM pressured them to go crazier and try new things, to get out of the DMC box. It was CAPCOM that wanted the changes and it was CAPCOM that wanted to do a reboot instead of pumping out yet another DMC title. It is commendable that a Japanese company would actually push for change and while people might not be super happy with some of the changes it is undeniably a good game. It might not be the game DMC fans wanted (which is basically the same game again with a few new weapons and a new setting) but on it's own it is a very good beat 'em up. The fact that the fans can't even appreciate that and at best they'll say "well it's ALRIGHT just an average game but a TERRIBLE DMC game" is kind of ridiculous. So if they didn't call this DMC and the game stayed the same albeit with some cosmetic changes to differentiate the character would that automatically make it a great game with fun combat? It's a moot point really. I've tried to have this argument many times with fans but it's like hitting your head against a brick wall.

I mean I get it, I love Dead Space and might not like all the changes in the newest title but it's still a good game despite being a completely different beast than what the series started out as. The complete disregard for anything the DmC game has has accomplished just because it's tied to the DMC franchise is so disheartening that in a way I also wish it had nothing to do with it just so that it might have sold better and definitely gotten a sequel. How many games come out in this genre? Are we swimming in beat 'em ups? I want to play new titles from this category and the next amazing thing I can look forward to is Bayonetta on a system I don't own or plan on buying so basically nothing. Well no I guess I can play Fist of the North Star 2, thats coming out after all. I just think you should be able to look past some things and enjoy the well crafted game underneath - the gay saying how the whole limbo mechanic is lame and gets boring is simply insane. How can you argue with that? You have these completely bombastic moments where everything is going nuts and you're running around the spectacular environments and it's a bag of tired tricks? How could anyone argue that the PS2 era jaggy dungeon-like-castle interiors of past DMC games were way above what you get here? You can't take stuff like that seriously, it's not just a matter of taste and preference, you have to be able to step back and appreciate something for what it is - and the art direction in the new DmC is pretty damn good.

But no matter, I think I am done talking about DmC in these various threads anymore. I liked the game a lot. I think it had a great fighting system with some really innovative mechanics built in, and it's sad that I probably won't get to see a sequel where the team would have had the chance to reiterate on all the mechanics and add on to what was already a very good system. The fans have won, you guys won, there probably won't be another game. Great for you guys, too bad for the rest of us that were able to look past whatever hangups and just enjoy a fun, action packed game in a dying genre.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Nikoran

@Hunter5024: because they make below-average games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#147  Edited By musubi

@LotusPrince: Why? Most likely beecause back in 2007 (I think right?) they said "Hey here is DMC 4!" and while that game sold well the overall feedback from the fans was "FUCK THIS!" I , personally wasn't one of those people I rather enjoyed 4 but alas many people have "issues" with it. As for it not selling well there could be a lot of reasons for that. One is most likely because for whatever reason there has been almost zero advertising for it. One of the others is because were coming of the holidays and traditionally January is sort of no mans land for a lot of people and businesses financially. Hell, it topped the UK charts on its opening week and even being the number 1 game that week it still didn't do gangbusters which should give you a picture of overall game sales being down right now anyways. But then you said it yourself didn't you? It all comes down to taste. I personally think the overall package is better than anything before it in the series. Others don't but it is what it is.

LotusPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By LotusPrince

@Humanity said:

@LotusPrince: Once again it's important to remember that in interviews NT have said that they wanted to make a game very similar to old DMC titles and CAPCOM pressured them to go crazier and try new things, to get out of the DMC box. It was CAPCOM that wanted the changes and it was CAPCOM that wanted to do a reboot instead of pumping out yet another DMC title. It is commendable that a Japanese company would actually push for change and while people might not be super happy with some of the changes it is undeniably a good game. It might not be the game DMC fans wanted (which is basically the same game again with a few new weapons and a new setting) but on it's own it is a very good beat 'em up. The fact that the fans can't even appreciate that and at best they'll say "well it's ALRIGHT just an average game but a TERRIBLE DMC game" is kind of ridiculous. So if they didn't call this DMC and the game stayed the same albeit with some cosmetic changes to differentiate the character would that automatically make it a great game with fun combat? It's a moot point really. I've tried to have this argument many times with fans but it's like hitting your head against a brick wall.

I mean I get it, I love Dead Space and might not like all the changes in the newest title but it's still a good game despite being a completely different beast than what the series started out as. The complete disregard for anything the DmC game has has accomplished just because it's tied to the DMC franchise is so disheartening that in a way I also wish it had nothing to do with it just so that it might have sold better and definitely gotten a sequel. How many games come out in this genre? Are we swimming in beat 'em ups? I want to play new titles from this category and the next amazing thing I can look forward to is Bayonetta on a system I don't own or plan on buying so basically nothing. Well no I guess I can play Fist of the North Star 2, thats coming out after all. I just think you should be able to look past some things and enjoy the well crafted game underneath - the gay saying how the whole limbo mechanic is lame and gets boring is simply insane. How can you argue with that? You have these completely bombastic moments where everything is going nuts and you're running around the spectacular environments and it's a bag of tired tricks? How could anyone argue that the PS2 era jaggy dungeon-like-castle interiors of past DMC games were way above what you get here? You can't take stuff like that seriously, it's not just a matter of taste and preference, you have to be able to step back and appreciate something for what it is - and the art direction in the new DmC is pretty damn good.

But no matter, I think I am done talking about DmC in these various threads anymore. I liked the game a lot. I think it had a great fighting system with some really innovative mechanics built in, and it's sad that I probably won't get to see a sequel where the team would have had the chance to reiterate on all the mechanics and add on to what was already a very good system. The fans have won, you guys won, there probably won't be another game. Great for you guys, too bad for the rest of us that were able to look past whatever hangups and just enjoy a fun, action packed game in a dying genre.

No, having a different name would not have automatically made the game better, but it would have avoided the bad blood leading up to this games release. Capcom wanting something different, to the extent of going to a different company and asking them to something different, is not sacrilege in and of itself. It can be commendable and different as it wants to be, but that does not give it a free pass to be accepted. Using myself as an example, there are plenty of well made games, like Team Fortress 2, Ni no Kuni or Borderlands, that I simply have no intrest to play. DmC is also one of those games. It may share the name of a franchise I grew up liking, but now that I have the benefit of the internet and can see what this game has to offer, I am confident that I have no desire to put down $60 for this game. I'd rather just wait and play Metal Gear Rising Revengence. I don't even -like- Metal Gear as a franchise, but the demo of that game sold me in a way that DmC's did not.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By vortextk

DMC 4 sold the most because of DMC 3. Period.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By KaosAngel

Capcom and NT said if you don't want to buy it, don't buy it.

Fans didn't buy it. What's the problem? Spend 2 years of development pissing off the core fan base, what did Capcom think would happen?

Fans voted with their wallet and looking at sales that "small" minority of fans looks to be a lot bigger than Capcom expected. This is basic marketing, don't piss off your fan base.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.