Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Why did people think this was going to be a bad game?

• 133 results
    moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By moncole

I see lots of hate for this game and people think its going to be bad. Ninja Theory makes good games so why do people think it will be bad?

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By roland_d11

It is pretty simple: People hate change. Ninja Theory did not develop DMC before, so there is the first reason. And then everybody freaked out because Ninja Theory dared to change the look of Dante.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nikoran

Mainly because Dante looked different. He is the exact opposite of old Dante. Not charismatic or cool at all.

Also slow combat and no lock on.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm pretty much the opposite. I've never been a huge Devil May Cry fan but this game has me very interested. I think its partly because of the art style. I like the over saturated colors and punk vibe they're going for.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

Because people were afraid that this would become Enslaved.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Dogma

People couln't handle change.

I welcome the change. I'm not among the hardcore DMC fans so I think it's great that they change things up a bit.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vade

Because Devil May Cry 4 was such a great game.

Hold on a minute...

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael

Because Devil May Cry is all about the combat and Ninja Theory's previous combat systems have been laughable. Judging by the demo this one is better, but still not particularly impressive.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Wraxend

I've played and completed all the DMCs up to this point and I'll be honest I didn't like the re-deisgn to begin with but not because of how he looked but because the original video they released made Dante look weak, uncool and not funny. Which is the opposite of the Dante from DMC3 which I would say is the high point of the old DMC. But recent videos have shown that since then they've gotten closer to the old Dante in terms of personality. As for the aesthetics they never bothered me to be honest.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Icemael said:

Because Devil May Cry is all about the combat and Ninja Theory's previous combat systems have been laughable. Judging by the demo this one is better, but still not particularly impressive.

This was my whole thing too. I never particularly cared about the characters/story in the DMC franchise so that never bothered me, but I did enjoy the combat and well...I played Enslaved. I did not enjoy playing Enslaved. I played Heavenly Sword. I did not enjoy playing Heavenly Sword.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gruff182

This is the only one I actually want to play. I've dabbled in the 1, 3 and played 4 until it was ruined at the point where you actually play as Dante.

This game looks by far the most appealing. The art direction and atmosphere look great. Dante is actually relatable, he's like that dick you know that lives down the street, as opposed to white-haired cocky anime guy.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ExplodeMode

DMC1 and 3 were loved because they are really fast paced action games with high smooth frame rates with a focus on gameplay. NT makes prettier, more shallow and slow paced action games at 30 fps with a focus on presentation.

That's how I see it as someone who doesn't care about DMC or DmC.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By dazzhardy

Well, firstly, because the "reimagined" Dante looked an awful lot like the   head of Ninja Theory. I can't speak for others but changing Dante, a somewhat iconic looking character didn't set well for me, especially not to what we ended up with. Also, Ninja Theory don't have the greatest track record when it comes to action games, producing two okay playing games with great character, when most people go to Devil May Cry for tight gameplay. I'll be honest, I hated the look when they unveiled it, and it still seems like a reboot for the sake of not having any better ideas, but the idea of switching between Angelic and Demonic versions of weapons, and the demo, have made me more interested in the game. Weather that pans out, I guess I'll find out when GameStop UK actually bother sending my pre-order >_> 

New Look Dante - Head of Ninja Theory. Admittedly he's looked less like the guy the more they've shown, but that first look was pretty damning. 
    New Look Dante - Head of Ninja Theory. Admittedly he's looked less like the guy the more they've shown, but that first look was pretty damning. 
    Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Orbitz89

My question has always been: Who the fuck thought the original Dante was cool and didn't read tons and tons of Japanese comic books or watch Japanese cartoons.

No. This new Dante isn't cool either.. but at least he's more down to earth. As in there are people on this planet who dress like that.

All the outrage about the new DMC game that I have seen, is directly linked to Dante's new appearance. This is the first thread I've seen that suggests people are concerned about the gameplay changes that may or may not happen, instead of how many belts this asshole may or may not have strapped around his body.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Canteu

Because Ninja Theory cannot make good actions games.

Take enslaved for example.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

Well as a DMC fan it's pretty simple. Capcom mastered action combat in DMC3 and onward to the point where I can't even play other action games because their combat feels slow, unresponsive, and just lacking in options in comparison to DMC3 and DMC4. It's reason why I can't even play God of War, Ninja Gaiden, Heavenly Sword, and Enslaved because they just feel straight up terrible to me. The only other action title I have been able to play is Bayonetta because it's got the speed and responsiveness but it's still feels super simple compared to DMC.

So when you tell me a company who has two games I can't even play because the gameplay is too bad for me is going to handle the series that has both created and perfected the genre I'm pretty understandably skeptical. It's pretty much like Capcom giving the reigns of Street Fighter to the guys that made the Dragon Ball Z fighting games. But my PS3 has been broken so I haven't been able to try it so my final judgement is reserved.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

As someone who considers himself somewhat of a casual fan of Devil May Cry, meaning I've played all of the games and have finished them but haven't put a ton of time into properly mastering the combat system, I think I probably won't mind the way the combat is now (except for the part where it kinda reminds me of Heavenly Sword, yech), but I did have some worries in the beginning, due to my experience with NT's earlier games.

The Dante redesign never bothered me much from a aesthetic perspective, and I thought Ninja Theory seemed to have stories down so I was sold on that part of it. Now I'm not so sure.

Anyway this video is pretty interesting.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sanious

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

Well as a DMC fan it's pretty simple. Capcom mastered action combat in DMC3 and onward to the point where I can't even play other action games because their combat feels slow, unresponsive, and just lacking in options in comparison to DMC3 and DMC4. It's reason why I can't even play God of War, Ninja Gaiden,

Are you really calling Ninja Gaiden games slow and unresponsive while comparing it with NT games? Jesus.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By clstirens

@Roland_D11 said:

It is pretty simple: People hate change. Ninja Theory did not develop DMC before, so there is the first reason. And then everybody freaked out because Ninja Theory dared to change the look of Dante.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By project343

@believer258 said:

I loved Enslaved. :(

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By matt

I have no stake in the Devil May Cry series. I played 4, thought it was alright. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that fans of the series dislike what they've done to Dante. If they're changing so much about him why keep the name? Seems a little insulting.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Morrow

@Moncole: Because they heavily changed the appearance of one of the most popular video game characters. They made him look like a completely different character, so people can't identify the Devil May Cry brand with him. And, this is subjective, but anyways: They changed it for the worse.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By musubi

@Sanious said:

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

Well as a DMC fan it's pretty simple. Capcom mastered action combat in DMC3 and onward to the point where I can't even play other action games because their combat feels slow, unresponsive, and just lacking in options in comparison to DMC3 and DMC4. It's reason why I can't even play God of War, Ninja Gaiden,

Are you really calling Ninja Gaiden games slow and unresponsive while comparing it with NT games? Jesus.

Hahaha. My thoughts exactly. You can call NInja Gaiden many things but Slow and Unresponsive isn't one of them.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gravier251

Largely the backlash always seems to be centred around the fact that Dante looks different. All of the criticism about his personality seems largely unfounded. Based purely upon a few trailers and a knee jerk negative outlook.

As someone who has played through the entirety of the new Devil May Cry, I have to say that I much prefer this new iteration. He actually has character growth, some interesting genuine moments, etc. (Mission 12 especially stood out). Old Dante I grew to actively despise with DMC 4, in which he essentially handed an evil cult the object they needed leading to the deaths of untold innocents, because he was bored and wanted to crack jokes and kill things.

As for the gameplay, I had no issues with it. I enjoyed the game. I hope Ninja Theory get to continue on with the license in the direction they have taken it.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

@Demoskinos said:

@Sanious said:

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

Hahaha. My thoughts exactly. You can call NInja Gaiden many things but Slow and Unresponsive isn't one of them.

Yeah you both are right. I shouldn't have put it on that list. But it is one of those games that just feels bad to me. I still haven't exactly placed why though. Maybe more animation priority or something. But it is certainly better than GOW and NT games.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By coryrx8

From playing the demo, Dante's appearance aside, I can't stand this game because it doesn't play like a Devil May Cry game. It's far too easy, far too simplistic, and falls into a lot of the same pitfalls that Ninja Gaiden 3 fell into, where randomly mashing buttons is a viable approach to the game. I'm more than a little sick of "accessibility" being crammed into absolutely everything. To me, this game is the Devil May Cry equivalent to adding rapidly regenerating health to Dark Souls; it fundamentally changes the way the game plays in ways that I don't like. I can only hope that 1.) this game flops, and 2.) Capcom goes back to the old-style of DMC combat. Unfortunately, this game flopping will probably make Capcom abandon the series altogether instead.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By musubi

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Sanious said:

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

Yeah you both are right. I shouldn't have put it on that list. But it is one of those games that just feels bad to me. I still haven't exactly placed why though. Maybe more animation priority or something. But it is certainly better than GOW and NT games.

Its just that the priority in combat is very different from Devil May Cry. The Devil May Cry games are very much games that encourage you to be on the offense at all times and do it at stylishly as possible. Ninja Gaiden is more similar to well... a fighting game I suppose? You've got to worry a lot more about recovery frames and on higher difficulty abusing invincibility frames is also a big deal.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Roland_D11 said:

It is pretty simple: People hate change.

Plus they hate anything that's big.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By GunstarRed

@JackSukeru: Fuck me, I wish people would stop posting that video as some kind of factual proof that Dante sucks. I have played the game, most of it in fact and Dante is likeable. The dialogue is pretty good for the most part, and he is not even half the dick people made him out to be. In fact this Dante is more interesting than I think he has ever been.

Edit - I realise I just got overly gnghhgh at this, but that video was created after a handful of trailers, the demo hadn't even been released at that point. I think some people will be really surprised at how good a person Dante is in the new game, he shows some real humanity at key points, he's not all "fuck you" obviously there's a little of that and he's cocky and confident, but so what.

I have a feeling some people are never going to accept the game being good, or new Dante being far more fleshed out than his earlier incarnation. Y'know what... their loss.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Probably because DmC is leaning heavy into that teenage angle of raging against the machine. Being full of piss and vinegar for nobody's sake but instead just because. Probably because the new DmC is indulgent, hedonistic, and the new look for Dante fits the overall punk rock rebellion vibe of the aesthetic.

These are all valid reasons to dislike the game, but for me personally I don't mind indulging in some immaturity every now and again.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azteck

Because they saw the main character being changed and then they hated it for some dumb loyalty reason.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tescovee

@Video_Game_King said:

@Roland_D11 said:

Plus they hate anything that's big.

That's not what she said! oh!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Sanious said:

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

This is not directed at you but Animation Priority is quickly becoming my least favorite game describing term. It is so dumb, I don`t get why it even exists. Yes a big weapon takes a while to swing and in the meantime you are vulnerable. What do people expect? People who campaign about this must of never played a fighting game. It just makes sense to me.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dropabombonit

Yeah I didn't get the hate either. When I found out Ninja Theroy were making it, I knew it would be awesome. I had the pleasure of getting this game on Saturday (thanks ShopTo) and have enjoyed every minute of it so far. They do a great job of re interpreting the story and they make Dante more believable but at the same time they maintain his cocky attitude. The combat is also fluid as hell with the seamless switching of weapons on the fly to link combos. The graphics are also excellent with some of the most creative level design I have seen this generation. All in all, game is amazing and a great way to start 2013.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Deranged

@Roland_D11 said:

So true. People get pissed off if something is changed and when a game is left the same i.e Call of Duty, there will still be an outrage due to the lack of innovation. There is no pleasing anyone.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ExplodeMode

@mcderby4 said:

@Roland_D11 said:

So true. People get pissed off if something is changed and when a game is left the same i.e Call of Duty, there will still be an outrage due to the lack of innovation. There is no pleasing anyone.

There is a lot of middle ground between releasing the same game over and over and the 'gritty reboot.'

Just writing complaints off that broadly is reductive and sounds defensive.

- and I'm not trying to get into an argument or call you out or anything. It's just a sentiment I feel like I'm seeing a lot of that seems really misguided.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vitor

@Vade said:

Because Devil May Cry 4 was such a great game.

Hold on a minute...

I always think of this.

Did DMC4 have the best combat mechanics of the series to date? Yeah, totally.

Shame they were wrapped up in a wafer-thin story that hinted at so much yet gave so little and repetitive, borderline insulting game design that made you replay half the game with a different character.

Capcom had already virtually killed the DMC franchise before NT got a shot at this, I think people have seriously forgotten where DMC was before this reboot.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By recroulette

I just didn't think Ninja Theory would be able to pull off this kind of gameplay. 

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dropabombonit

I think Capcom themselves said they couldn't see a future for the series after that game. I think Ninja Theory have made the franchise relevant again and I'm excited to see where they take it in the future

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I actually really like the idea of new Dante, because old Dante always seemed like a real bad Japanese idea of what was considered cool. Red leather jackets and fingerless gloves and pizza and smokin' sick style, wooo! Old Dante resembles a ninja turtle more than a punk. New Dante represents the actual element of danger that needs to be present in that kind of character, you don't know if he's going to pull a gravity knife or give you Hep C.

But I haven't played the game. Maybe he's terrible.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By toowalrus

Dante's different.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By Deranged

@ExplodeMode said:

There is a lot of middle ground between releasing the same game over and over and the 'gritty reboot.'

Just writing complaints off that broadly is reductive and sounds defensive.

- and I'm not trying to get into an argument or call you out or anything. It's just a sentiment I feel like I'm seeing a lot of that seems really misguided.

I beg to differ, especially since the massive outrage over DmC came before even solid footage or even a demo was released, as is the similar with almost any median. And what am I trying to defend exactly? I was merely stating what I noticed, which is clearly apparent. I'm not saying everyone reacts in that manner, but it's something that can be recognized largely.

Personally for me, I don't see how someone can rightfully complain or write off something without first experiencing it for themselves. I for one, have never really been a die-hard fan of Devil May Cry, so I can't truly speak here. I've only ever enjoyed the 4th game in the franchise. But besides the demo, which is only but a small piece of a game that was arguably in an earlier state of development, there hasn't been much opportunity for people to fully experience what the new DmC has to offer.

My proposition is a simple one and obviously isn't centred towards everyone. It would only make sense that an extensive amount of judgement given for something that has yet to be released isn't fair and remains largely biased. Obviously, anticipation will be experienced by a great amount of people and there is no taking away from that.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By J12088

Looking at the gameplay footage there seems to be a real lack of fighting in the levels I've seen and a fair bit more platforming. Couldn't careless what dante looks like and people claiming it's better cause he looks more down to earth are in for a real shock when they see hes still got his cheesey/asshole lines. The lack of action in this action game is the worry.

But I've only seen a few levels I'll wait till i see more. So far it doesnt look very good.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BoOzak

@Icemael said:

This, I've liked all of Ninja Theory's games but playing them is the worst part, especially Heavenly Sword.

I dont like new Dante either but I dont give a shit if he's emo or not if the game's any good.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By McGhee

@Nikoran said:

Mainly because Dante looked different. He is the exact opposite of old Dante. Not charismatic or cool at all.

Also slow combat and no lock on.

I'll subtract one point for calling old Dante cool, but add two for having a Sunny avatar.

Turbyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Turbyne

If i could dumb down how I feel about the game I'd say well...the combat is dumbed down, the game is kind of easy.

But it's fun, really really fun. However the game then lacks longevity, and I actually liked how punishing and hard the older Devil May Cry games were to get good at.

However, at the end of the day the game is good, and it's no Ninja Gaiden 3. I can't fucking believe how bad Ninja Gaiden 3 is, even that Wii U version I bought with the hopes it would be better.

At the same time though...I don't play action games simply for button mashy fun, i'm not brain dead.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zekhariah

@Moncole said:

I see lots of hate for this game and people think its going to be bad. Ninja Theory makes good games so why do people think it will be bad?

It seemed like the hair being different set a lot of people off.

But realistically, the negativity is pretty much stuck on everything online regarding upcoming and sometimes recently released games. Just not something where gauging the community reactions is meaningful, but I guess there is youtube now so that is fairly irrelevant. Every new game gets its own hate train now, and it either fizzles out after release or picks up steam if the game really is bad.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By stryker1121

For all the hand-wringing over how Ninja Theory would do w/ the property, the game's been getting pretty good scores across the board. That won't mean anything to gamers who wanted DmC to be terrible, but there you go. From what I've been reading the combat system is pretty robust, the visuals are great, Dante looks cool; but the boss fights are mediocre and the platforming is not much fun. I'll give DmC a go sometime down the line for sure.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DeF

@Moncole: Because people are afraid of change. Amplified by the internet-aura, it got out of control.

@project343 said:

@believer258 said:

I loved Enslaved. :(

Not just you.

MurderBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MurderBunny

@stryker1121: Yes it is if it wasn't a DmC game.

For a Devil May cry game it is extremely shallow and simple and it's lost most of the skill you needed to do things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.