Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 13, 2014

Donkey Kong Island is being threatened by a group of vikings called the Snowmads who kicked the Kongs off their island and covered it in snow and ice. Play Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, and for the first time ever, Cranky Kong and travel across multiple islands to reclaim your home in this 2D platformer by Retro Studios.

The first big release of the year is 4 days away

• 49 results
    TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

That's right, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze for the Nintendo Wii U launches in 4 days as I'm sure you're all aware by how it's on the front page right now. This Friday we'll all have the game that everyone's been waiting 3 years for. A sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns. Admittedly it has not been a long wait compared to Donkey Kong Countries previous decade long hiatus but it has been hard and tough especially as people speculated that Retro was done with Donkey Kong and they'd move on into the night and perhaps make a Star Fox game that didn't suck as if such things were possible now that its genre and the novelty of full voice are history. Maybe it'd work as a 10-15 dollar game. But no, Retro is doing the Prime 1, 2 3 thing and is putting out a 2nd and maybe a 3rd. I personally look forward to hearing about Baja Blast in 2016.

So go buy a Wii U, get it patched now while the game's not out, line up on Miiverse maybe or go get a physical copy (probably still a good idea with Nintendo games sadly) and be happy that you don't have to shake anything anymore unless you're player 2 and don't have a Pro Controller. This is going to be great you guys.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A quick aside, Hearthstone Open Beta not really a release I don't think so it doesn't count but if I did count it I guess it would be first.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Seems like it's scoring very high on most sites except for Gamespot. They gave it a 6 and the guy whined about the difficulty. Most others said it made the game more challenging and enjoyable. I'll be picking it up for sure.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

My Reggie is body.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AMyggen

I'm still not sure if I'm buying this game or not. On the one hand I could use another game on my Wii U, on the other hand I'm a bit burnt out on DK.

Ah, fuck it, in Retro we trust. I'm picking this one up. And Nintendo, give Retro a more interesting IP to work with next time, or better yet, a chance to work on their own IPs. You can't waste one of your best studios on DK titles forever.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: They have to at least do a Trilogy before they move on.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themasterds: Unless you're kidding about the triology: Fuck no. I hope they move on to something more creative challenging than a pretty established platformer ASAP.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Can't wait.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon

Can't wait.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMasterDS

@amyggen: Fuck off, I'm 100% not kidding. Making a super solid platformer is just as worthy of a talented team's time than making a strawman.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say this is not the first big release as I sure as hell did not know this was coming out but I sure did know Bravely Default was coming out. I would say its a release but donkey Kong? That hasnt been a big thing since super nintendo.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcshank: Let me see how much Bravely Default sold in Japan. 450k units according to Google, surely less in a country that's not Japan. How many units did Donkey Kong Country Returns sell? Well lets google this up, 6.1 million. Oh, and the 3DS port sold another 1.2 million if VGCharts is to be believed. It should probably be taken with a grain of salt since digital sales haven't been factored in and who knows how accurate those numbers are but they're a decent ballpark wouldn't you say?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

My buddy's kid (who's 8) has no interest in stuff like this, we were actually talking about this game and the previous Wii one. When I was 7 and the original Donkey Kong Country released, I went nuts. I played the hell out of the sequels, renting each many times over since I couldn't afford them. Prior to the N64 game, I saved for months to ensure I'd be able to play it right away - and loved it.

I don't think Retro really managed to match that, but it was a different time (and I was way younger) so I understand why in my case. But judging from this kid's reaction, I just dunno if DK is a "big" thing anymore. I'm skeptical and also don't own a WiiU, another problem in itself.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantstalker: When I was 6 and I got a SNES and, two years later, an N64 I could not have given less of a shit about Mario. I found All Stars poor compared to DKC and even on the N64 the Banjo games outshone any Mario product in my eyes. The only Mario games I love are Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door because they were phenomenal games during my golden age.

Kids don't pick up their parents nostalgia. That's not how it works.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themasterds: Woah, hey, I understand that you're hyped for the new DK game, but no need to be rude. This doesn't really seem like the first big release of the year, but it certainly is a big release for the Wii U. Hope it's good and does well.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Donkey Kong a "Big Release" that's cute.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes me laugh when people are so sure of their opinions they're rude to everyone who doesn't share the exact same enthusiasm.

Hopefully the 4 of you with WiiUs enjoy this game OP.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mcshank: Let me see how much Bravely Default sold in Japan. 450k units according to Google, surely less in a country that's not Japan. How many units did Donkey Kong Country Returns sell? Well lets google this up, 6.1 million. Oh, and the 3DS port sold another 1.2 million if VGCharts is to be believed. It should probably be taken with a grain of salt since digital sales haven't been factored in and who knows how accurate those numbers are but they're a decent ballpark wouldn't you say?

Don't you think that this has something to do with a huge userbase? Nothing sold really well and will with such a low userbase the Wii U has. The games are not the problem. The problem is that no one really cares about the platform.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: Is that the European cover? Because that's a cool picture!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, my post wasn't meant to diminish the fact that this game will probably be quite good and that Retro are dope. Just pointing out your use of the word "first".

@fattony12000: Is that the European cover? Because that's a cool picture!

Yup, it sure is! On both accounts!

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: Yeah, as great as this game will be I wouldn't mind someone else picking up Retro's foundation to continue the series while Retro themselves go off to do something new.

On the other hand, fuck off!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread got hilariously hostile while I was asleep apparently. I didn't realize people got so cut throat over donkey kong. O_o

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread got hilariously hostile while I was asleep apparently. I didn't realize people got so cut throat over donkey kong. O_o

I think people misunderstood the word big or expect something different from it. The game is surely great for fans and got awesome scores as well. But big in terms of sales I would say that this is unlikely to happen because of this small userbase the Wii U has.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Are you saying that no Wii U game can be a big game? That's crazy. a big release for Nintendo is a big release for the industry. Even games like Pikmin 3 which didn't sell incredibly well are big games. DKCTF could sell systems and even if it didn't it's still a big game from Nintendo's 4th biggest franchise after Mario, Pokemon and Zelda.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Darji

@themasterds said:

@darji: Are you saying that no Wii U game can be a big game? That's crazy. a big release for Nintendo is a big release for the industry. Even games like Pikmin 3 which didn't sell incredibly well are big games. DKCTF could sell systems and even if it didn't it's still a big game from Nintendo's 4th biggest franchise after Mario, Pokemon and Zelda.

In terms of quality. Yes a Nintendo game can be a very big game on the Wii U. In terms of sales. I really really doubt it. Games like Mario Kart for example sold so much last time because of the much much higher userbase. I honestly doubt that it will sell much more than Pikmin or even Mario 3D world which also was not a huge success sales wise.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Let's not be crazy. Pikmin has never been a huge seller, Pikmin 2 is extremely hard to find for that reason. Donkey Kong Countries have always done super well, as well as Zelda games. *Checks Skyward Sword sales* Actually, nevermind, DKCR did twice as well as Skyward Sword. I wouldn't bet on DKCTF being at the low end of the Wii U sales chart, that would be ignoring all kinds of evidence that DKC still sells well.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad the notifications page has record of that one post 'cause it gave me quite the giggle.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bitch, you come after DK and I will cut you!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane122 said:
    @demoskinos said:

Bitch, you come after DK and I will cut you!

D-Don't hurt me.

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Darji

@themasterds said:

@darji: Let's not be crazy. Pikmin has never been a huge seller, Pikmin 2 is extremely hard to find for that reason. Donkey Kong Countries have always done super well, as well as Zelda games. *Checks Skyward Sword sales* Actually, nevermind, DKCR did twice as well as Skyward Sword. I wouldn't bet on DKCTF being at the low end of the Wii U sales chart, that would be ignoring all kinds of evidence that DKC still sells well.

Like Mario games? If the userbase if high then it will obviously sell much more. Compare the Mario kart sales of the Wii version with the other console ones and you will see it yourself. Also I never thought that Donkey Kong will be on the low end sales because that would be under 50k for games like Wonderful101 for example. But don't try to think of this game selling systems or being a huge sales hit. It will maybe sell 1 million or 2 million if they are very lucky which would be almost 50% of the userbase but that's it. MY personal guess is a bit short of 1 million.

None or less this has nothing to do with the quality of the game since the reviews are really really good for this game. Look at this for example. Japanese calculations:

Comgnet Doom Corner:

Donkey Kong ----- 81pt (?)

Mario 3D ----------- 164pt (99.588)

Pikmin ------------- 144pt (92.720)

Wii Party ----------- 74pt (37.371)

Dragon Quest ---- 35pt (33.302)

Zelda ---------------- 56pt (30.264)

Luigi ----------------- 33pt (24.881)

Wario --------------- 32pt (22.491)

Lego ----------------- 40pt (18.199)

We get sales for Japan tomorrow and you can see it for yourself

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this really considered a big release? I get that the OP is pumped for it, that's great, but how many of you have pined over this for 3 years? Was DKC Returns that good?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'd say that The Lego Movie Videogame was the first big (AAA) game of the year that hasn't been previously released earlier...

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Japanese sales data irrelevant. Donkey Kong Country is a western franchise and it always has been. Developed in the UK or in Texas. I put no stock in what the Japanese think of it.

@palmlykta: Short answer yes. Long answer well DKCR in a lot of little ways doesn't measure up to DKC2 for little reasons like embracing a power up mentality with Diddy, denying you Diddy arbitrarily (the original games never had levels that didn't have DK Barrels for entire stretches) and messing up the physics (DKC2 was as responsive as Rayman Legends. You were able to run fast, stop and start on dimes, do amazing shit with Dixie's glide, etc) but Retro has long since proven that they can not only reinvent a franchise but they can also iterate on a franchise really well. Metroid Prime 2 was a lot more inventive than Metroid Prime 1, and Metroid Prime 3 was a level above that. They'll have done better than they have before which is great because physics aside DKCR was great. Not in my top 5 or even 10 of all time like DKC2, but stilll great.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themasterds: I think you are missing the point here. According to these numbers it is a over 70% decline from Returns: Why do you think this would be different in the US? But I guess than wait for Feb. NPD sales and you will see it yourself...

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Because Japan has never understood DKC. They thought Kaptain K. Rool was a new character and not just King K. Rool is a pirate costume after all.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@darji: With the way you try and spin sales numbers into victories/defeats, you'll make a pretty good PR guy someday. But for fucks sake. Seriously.

It's a critically acclaimed game that people should be excited about. What more do you need?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I was kinda with this guy until he started acting like a child. Whatevs, I'm hyped for Tropical Freeze! Hopefully it's the first big game of the year that doesn't fall apart in the second half.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: With the way you try and spin sales numbers into victories/defeats, you'll make a pretty good PR guy someday. But for fucks sake. Seriously.

It's a critically acclaimed game that people should be excited about. What more do you need?

I do not Spin sales numbers I can back everything up I say about numbers. And I also said that it seems to be a really good game according to reviews. I am just saying do not expect anything huge or big sales wise. Bad sales do not mean it is a bad game. And people can totally excited about this game if they want a good experience.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda: Sorry about that, force of habit from the dark age of Donkey Kong 10 years ago when I started forum going. Back then Donkey Kong Country was constantly under assault both by outlets trying to say that DKC was always overrated and from Nintendo who were trying to dismantle what Rare had done with the franchise by releasing DK Jungle Beat with no DKC elements other than Donkey Kong and the banana. This is a whole different world now as since then Nintendo's stopped trying to Japan Crazy up DKC and have given it to a western studio who happily made a DKC game the way Rare would've. I'm still a DKC hardliner though and casual DKC disrespect still bothers me. Watching House of Cards can't be helping either.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine the thread that's going to made when Jeff comes out saying his 'Donkey Kong was never any good and the graphics were crappy' rant during the Quick Look for Tropical Freeze.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@themasterds: It really doesn't matter how many copies Bravely Default sold, it was still a major release in the US this year. So DKC: Tropical Freeze is not the first big release.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Let's get real here...

Donkey Kong Land > Donkey Kong Country.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheMasterDS

@razielcuts: Don't worry, I've long since accepted Jeff's viewpoints on DKC. I have too strong an attachment to him and the rest of the crew to hold it against him. Besides I can easily explain it by it just being outside of his golden era in that messy valley between Nostalgia and Modern Games. Games from that part of your life you have a tendency to compare to the present when they compare most favorably against the past I think. Holding Mario World to one standard and holding DKC to quite another. It's hard sometimes to look at Gamecube/Xbox games as we don't compare them to the N64 but rather to Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. Unfair comparisons, nature of the beast.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#46  Edited By MormonWarrior

OP sounds like a marketer for Nintendo.

In other news, I have this game preordered on Amazon, but apparently it won't get to my house until Tuesday? Gosh dang. But whatever. Looks like it'll be another solidly built platformer that I'll enjoy. Doubt it'll be as mind-explodingly good as Rayman Legends, but that's a little unfair.

@milkman said:

Let's get real here...

Donkey Kong Land > Donkey Kong Country.

Get off that pipe dope, son. It does a real number on higher cognitive function.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Darji

@themasterds: To end this sales thing:

[WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.02.13} (¥5.985) - 35.717 / NEW

As for Comparision's sake: The Wii game sold: 163,310 Units in its first week.

Games like these heavily depend on the userbase. And it will not be different in the US. So yeah enjoy your great game. Enjoy the quality of the game but do not expect big sales numbers.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themasterds: aha... so I guess if you like Donkey Kong Country, you will presumably not be disappointed by this latest iteration.

I guess I just underestimate the appeal of the whole Donkey Kong Country-franchise.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My copy turned up today. :D

I was actually feeling a little awkard playing the game with the gamepad, so I switched over to the pro controller and have found it feels much better (though it might also be just that I've once again grown accustomed to the unique feel to DKC's platforming).

I feel like I say this about every first party WiiU game, but man, screenshots and online videos do this game no justice compared to how it looks on my TV screen in front of me.
    I feel like I say this about every first party WiiU game, but man, screenshots and online videos do this game no justice compared to how it looks on my TV screen in front of me.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really the first major release of the year, that would go to Bravely Default, you could maybe even make an argument for Strider. First major Wii U release absolutely.

That aside, I'm really excited for Tropical Freeze. I really dug DKCR. 2D platforming bar was set high by Rayman last year, but I'm hoping my expectations get blown out of the water. I do wish Nintendo would let Retro go work on something else though. I mean, they've done a great job turning a pretty meh series into a platforming powerhouse. But man, give them some hot new IP to work on. That's what Nintendo needs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.