Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

BioWare senior developer: DA2 was a one-year production

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By jayjonesjunior

i feel sorry for ME2 sales and DA:O, but not for DA2.   

So they had a choice, to lose a lot of money making DA2 a good game or to make a game compatible with the expected sale numbers. 

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#152  Edited By Evilsbane

Wow ME2 deserved to sell WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than that....that makes me sad.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By owl_of_minerva

With those sales numbers, that's no excuse to treat the sequel like shit. If you have a steady base of 2 million fans buying your games, then it's not exactly rocket science how to make money on that model. It's safe to say that EA is responsible for such a ludicrously short development time. Obsidian often has to work with low budgets and a one year-dev cycle, but they're considerably less well-off than Bioware, so their existence is predicated on generating high sales from relatively low-cost sequels. DA2 patently suffers from its rushed production and there's no excusing the final product or the publisher: EA historically is about as bad as Activision.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#154  Edited By Marz

After listening to the IGN podcast(yah i know i'm lame)  they interviewed the lead designer and he pretty much said they started working on changes they implemented in DA2 before Origins was even released.  So I don't know which bioware guy you guys want to believe but it seems they had a good headstart when making the game.

Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155  Edited By Mooqi
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Mooqi: Um, the last Fable had a PC version. Your thesis has some fundamental factual errors. "
    No, therefore your answer has a fundamental factual error. Get your facts straight here and here.

The Fable III PC version will (probably) come out in May, Fable II has never had one and nobody talked about Fable I (which had a PC version). Releasing a PC version half a year after the console version is exactly the "encouragement" you need to make people buy the console version. Especially if people think that there will never be a PC version, because Fable II was console-only as well. Same tactic has been used for GTA IV btw.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#156  Edited By Jimbo
    @Mooqi:   Origins and ME2 (which had PC versions at launch) both outsold ME1 afaik, which didn't have a PC version available at launch.  PC versions also haven't stopped the Fallout games (probably the closest comparison) selling crazy millions.  I think it's clutching at straws to suggest that all Bioware has to do to sell more copies is to not put out a PC version.

Like I said, I suspect one of the big limiting factors in a story trilogy is how well your first game sales - ME1 just didn't sell well enough to support ME2 going on to sell 5 million copies or whatever.  When ME3 launches multi-plat it probably still won't sell a huge amount more, because there's still only so many people that have played ME1 & 2.  

I applaud Bioware for trying what they have tried with the ME trilogy, but I think they would be better off in future following Bethesda's lead and making games which -though they can still be loosely connected- can be enjoyed by anybody as a self-contained experience.  Dragon Age is closer to this, but maybe instead of Dragon Age 2 they should have gone for Dragon Age: Kirkwall or some such.
    Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#157  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @salad10203: I remember listening to Invisible Walls (podcast on gametrailers) a while ago and they were going over NPD numbers and mentioned Mass Effect 2 on PS3 and that it was extremely low.  I think it was like 50k copies for the month of February or January, I forgot which month it came out on PS3.

I just finished my first run through the game on Hard as a Warrior and overall I enjoyed it.  @Jimbo said:
    " @Mooqi:   , but maybe instead of Dragon Age 2 they should have gone for Dragon Age: Kirkwall or some such. "

Completely agree with ya there, especially since the main story felt so diconnected from the rest of the world.  I also think the timing of when the first ME came out has probably affected sales of ME2.  The 360 didn't have nearly as large of a install base back in 2007 as it does now.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By ryanwho
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Mooqi:   Origins and ME2 (which had PC versions at launch) both outsold ME1 afaik, which didn't have a PC version available at launch.  PC versions also haven't stopped the Fallout games (probably the closest comparison) selling crazy millions.  I think it's clutching at straws to suggest that all Bioware has to do to sell more copies is to not put out a PC version. "
    Well you're being generous. I think its just something only a really stupid person would believe.
    Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Mooqi
    @ryanwho: A person as stupid as to think that Fable III has already had its PC release and playing smart with that "knowledge" until being corrected? There should be an ignore-list on giantbomb.com for trolls like you, but since that is not the case I will react to your cute fail-statements with the compassion of a superior being and turn a blind eye on them. Keep on (t)rolling!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#160  Edited By Tennmuerti
    Completely expected this.

Bottom line is, the game had a one-year production cycle and no amount of clever development can disguise this fact.

Too true.
    Problem is that imo 1 year dev cycle and the ensuing level of quality is not equvalent to a $60 price tag.
    This is not an excuse. Your game still costs as much as any other, put 3 moths into it or 3 years.
    zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#161  Edited By zameer

It shows.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#162  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

For a game that was produced in 8 months its pretty good, but for a Bioware game I expect a certain amount of polish and quality that I did not get with this game.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jimbo said:
    " @phantomzxro said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Dany said:
    " I still find it shocking that these Bioware games do not sell. Hopefully all of hte good will from ME2 will lead to good sales for ME3.  Considering that the production was only a year is crazy and it was able to fit in so much stuff is absurd. "
    How can two million in sales be considered not selling well? "
    Yeah i don't think it is bad at all, anything that sells a million is a hit. The problem is after that they expect to sell more then more and it goes on like that. Also it is something i'm sure they look like when they see every other major game AAA game selling more. "
    No, one million is just about breaking even on an average AAA multi-plat game nowadays.  ME2 did well for them at 2 million sales, but it's not really anything to shout about (which is why you don't hear them shouting about it).    For perspective, if The Old Republic is really costing the alleged $300 million, that's equivalent to the profit from about ten Mass Effect 2's.  Or one FIFA 11. "
    Sorry, but 2 million isn't doing well when you have a large multinational publicly traded parent company breathing down your neck and this is especially important in light of SW : TOR's excessive risk costs in terms of ROI.  Bioware had no choice but shift gears to console focus and the same thing happened to another major EA Partner, Crytek too.  Neither dev studio is matching the sales targets of their nearest competitors.  Frankly, if RAGE doesn't do well either there will be some dark times ahead for anyone in middle management in the AAA sector of the games industry who doesn't work for Activision's or Zenimax's leading lights.  The only thing saving some expensive EA Partners right now is the continued success of The Sims on PC.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Jimbo
    @SeriouslyNow:   Do you think EA are better or worse off for having made ME2?  You can't blame a profitable project for the failures of the wider company.  It's true that it didn't make enough profit to support a bloated and badly managed company single-handedly, but I'd be surprised if they didn't make a decent profit with 2 million sales.

Bioware (who are owned by EA, they're not an EA Partner) have been console focussed for nearly a decade now.  Origins might be the one exception to that, and it apparently became their most successful title ever.  We have yet to see whether DA2 or Crysis 2 going console-first pays off.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By ryanwho
    @Tarsier: Specifically, its basically the werewolf vs elves side story from the first game.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#166  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I still find it hard to believe that ME2 sold only 2 million copys across all platform including digital distribution ... if that actually is true that would be shocking. 

When it comes to DA2: Its a good game that could have been amazing ... given more time.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By ryanwho

DA2 has been getting a lot of TV ad coverage. Sometimes people just aren't interested. Mirror's Edge got a lot of coverage, didn't help.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#168  Edited By Skald
    @rottendevice: I remember seeing a lot of commercials for the original Mass Effect, but that was Microsoft, and they're probably the best in the business for marketing. i mean, they sold the hell out of Kinect, and people don't even know what to do with it now.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#169  Edited By Kyreo

That explains why I haven't heard anything good about it from duders on this site.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Funkydupe

Dragon Age: Origins was really a great start. Now I just want BioWare to drop Dragon Age entirely and move on. I'm not sure if it was too soon or what, but Dragon Age 2 ruined it for me. Dragon Age: Recycled. 

Mass Effect 3 is a big title. Dragon Age 2 tells me that I shouldn't just automatically buy a BioWare game and expect quality and attention to details. You're a great video game developer, BioWare, don't go on and screw things up by spewing out games instead of ensuring they're actually fun.    

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By foggel
    @ryanwho said:
    The question is would I rather have games like Starcraft 2 every decade or games like COD every year. Would I rather have a game like DAO every 3 years or a game like DA2 every year? Well bud, a lot of people would rather have the better game that takes longer to make. Clearly a lot of people are fine having a COD every year, in between watching Michael Bay movies that abide the same "quantity>quality" mantra. But that's not necessarily what most RPG players want. "
    So DA2 wasn't a quality game?
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By wrighteous86
    @foggel: @TimAllen624 said:
    " For a game that was produced in 8 months its pretty good, but for a Bioware game I expect a certain amount of polish and quality that I did not get with this game. "
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By foggel
    @Wrighteous86: Oh, if only they spent the same budgeted amount of resources over a longer period of time, people would not have had this impression.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By wrighteous86
    @foggel: Nope, if only they had the same quality in the sequel as they had in the original, people would not have had this impression.  His point was that the game was pretty good for a game built in 8 months.  It would be pretty laughable if they came out with this game after a few years of development. 

People are assuming that this is not the game they intended to make, because based on who you hear talk about it, the message is mixed.  Some of them say this is what they wanted (which people assume is PR speak), while other members of the team will talk about how these were the best options they had based on their limited dev-time.   

Do you think that if they spent the same amount of time on DA2 as DA1 the broken quests and achievements would be in the game?  Do you think they would've reused the same 4 dungeons for every single quest?  Do you think you'd have next to no influence on the events of the game? Well... maybe that last one would still be in there... but the rest wouldn't.  
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Jimbo:  I don't think EA knows the difference to be honest.  I personally think that the marginal sales increase over the first title could just as easily be pinned on the dual platform day and date release of ME2 (PC and XBOX 360), rather than its change in combat focus over the first game.  The sales figures of Bioware games in general are not incredible no matter how critically well they are received.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By foggel
    @Wrighteous86:  Mass Effect 1 reused dungeons, and had a couple of broken achievements. But since this didn't affect all people they didn't fix it. Also DAO had a couple of broken quests. A friend of mine had to restart the game, and I've read stories on the internet.

DA2 was an exellent game. When they first announced it I saw people commenting how bad this game would be, and how they must be milking the product since DAO just came out. This was before the game came out. I believe it's this notion that has transferred to the perception of quality.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#177  Edited By sammo21
    @Vaile: Sure you would, we all would, but would it have been financially viable for them?  I don't think this game is anywhere near as bad as a lot of people are trying to say.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By wrighteous86
    @sammo21: I think most people are saying it's disappointing, not bad.  

The problem is, EA and Bioware want their games to sell as much as Oblivion, Fallout, CoD, and GTA.  They've alluded to this a bunch of times when speaking with the press.  However, no matter what changes they institute, for whatever reason,  they sell about 2 million per game.  They keep making the games more casual to bring in "non-RPG" fans who "don't realize that San Andreas was an RPG", but it's not really helping them move any more units.  They're losing some of their loyal fanbase to bring in more casuals, but they aren't gaining any more sales.  It's not working out for them; they're trying to serve two masters and I'm worried that down the line they'll lose both unless they come up with some great ideas on how to change the direction they're heading. 

I loved ME2 and thought DA2 was just okay, for the record.  They are alienating a lot of people, though, who have stronger feelings about the company than I do.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#179  Edited By sammo21
    @ryanwho: or how they forgive Fallout 3 (and like you said with oblivion) and Fallout: NV when those games can get flat out BROKEN a lot of times.
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Vaile
    @sammo21 said:

" @Vaile: Sure you would, we all would, but would it have been financially viable for them?  I don't think this game is anywhere near as bad as a lot of people are trying to say. "

@Wrighteous86 said: 

@sammo21: I think most people are saying it's disappointing, not bad.   The problem is, EA and Bioware want their games to sell as much as Oblivion, Fallout, CoD, and GTA.  They've alluded to this a bunch of times when speaking with the press.  However, no matter what changes they institute, for whatever reason,  they sell about 2 million per game.  They keep making the games more casual to bring in "non-RPG" fans who "don't realize that San Andreas was an RPG", but it's not really helping them move any more units.  They're losing some of their loyal fanbase to bring in more casuals, but they aren't gaining any more sales.  It's not working out for them; they're trying to serve two masters and I'm worried that down the line they'll lose both unless they come up with some great ideas on how to change the direction they're heading.  I loved ME2 and thought DA2 was just okay, for the record.  They are alienating a lot of people, though, who have stronger feelings about the company than I do. "

This, but I'd also like to add that you're absolutely right in that taking longer would not be financially viable. 
    However, I always thought that BioWare was one of those developers that had the integrity to put out the best product possible, even if it meant a little less profit.  
    But it seems I was wrong. 
    iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By iKANNIBAL

I think a lot of us figured it was developed fairly quickly as it was lazy, even lazier than Bioware's Jade Empire. Kinda lost a bit of respect for them now that they like so many other good devs have changed and are now destined to streamline all their games. DA2 wasn't just lazy with the game itself, or the story, or the characters but with its soundtrack and delivery as well. There wasn't even a good CGI video like there was for the first one, but then again Bioware did the same thing with Mass 1 & 2.

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Ihmishylje

Why do people (still) hate Jade Empire? It was fucking amazing, and by far the most original thing Bioware has done. I'd still love to see a sequel, or even an HD re-release, but I guess that just won't happen.

And yeah, it baffles me why Bioware games sell so poorly compared to, say, Bethesda stuff.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By iKANNIBAL

I don't hate Jade Empire, it was a good attempt, they were just lazy with it. It was incredibly short and didn't have much depth compared to their other titles, the combat system also needed more inspiration, the actual game, lore, and the characters were great though. 

Anyway OP why did you list Kotor 2? surely Kotor 2 is better than DA2, Kotor 2 might have had a really crap ending but its dialogue and its mechanics were certainly superior to the first Kotor.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#184  Edited By korolev

If this is true, I kinda suspected this. 

Dragon Age II did not fail in the story telling department (come on guys, blight's over) and the combat wasn't bad. But it was a shorter, smaller game and that really hurt it in my eyes. If they really did put it together in 8 months then holy hell, good effort. But you shouldn't have done it in the first place.  

I suspect EA is trying to do an Activision - you've probably got some EA suit that has never played a game in his/her life saying "How can we improve the monetization process of our key products? Shorter turn around time!", and then they go off to BioWare and say - "make more money faster, make more games faster, do everything faster! No, FASTER! EVEN FASTER THAN THAT! Papa needs a new Porsche!" Dragon Age II, despite being a good game, was a rushed game. It needed another year of development at least. Think about what they could have done with another year - maybe make TWO dungeon designs! Whoa, right!?   

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Ihmishylje
    @strangone said:
    " @Pumpeho said:
    " @Afroman269 said:

" I'm hoping Mass Effect 3 isn't going to get the rushed treatment like DA 2. "

Theres a risk, but since it was thought to be a trilogy from the start they should have the frame for their story finished and know where to go so it doesnt get a spastic feel. The engine is evidently pretty much done. I also read somewhere that they've been working on ME3 since before ME2 was released. Yes, Im somewhat in denial about the risks, hehe. I love ME2 with passion. As for the actual topic, as someone already said: they should keep refining their niché and not aim for the stereotypical CoD-audience.  What actually saddens me the most is that most people are staring themselves blind on the money. It is an important part to keep the machinery running, but Bioware seem to go with a profit and EA seem to see the cooperation with Bioware as a good deal. So, why is the game being rushed? MORE profits? Whats the point of more profits if you dont use that money to make better quality in order to get an edge vs the competiton and growing the own brand(s)? Why are the non-fiscal values neglected so often? Those are the ones that last in the cultural mind, which gaming fits into.   EA could cut back on terrible ideas instead of cutting back development cycles of games that has potential in its predecessors and in the actual released game. "
    EA, like any company nowadays, wants to constantly increase its share price. Keeps shareholders happy, and I'm sure part of their executive compensation is in stock, so EA management has a strong incentive to keep increasing their profits. Unfortunately they'll never say "well we all make a lot of money selling RPGs to this niche, and that's good enough." "
    Yeah, which is why I hate the stock market. I think it should be banned. Society and business would function just as well if people were in charge of their companies, and not subject to always aiming for moar moneh.
    Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Mike76x
    @iKANNIBAL said:
    Anyway OP why did you list Kotor 2? surely Kotor 2 is better than DA2, Kotor 2 might have had a really crap ending but its dialogue and its mechanics were certainly superior to the first Kotor. "
    KoToR 2 was horrible.
    I fell through floors constantly, NONE of the characters were likable, the bad guys were crap, and it was just the worst thing to ever happen to the Star Wars universe in general.
    iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By iKANNIBAL
    @Mike76x:  Besides the ending Kotor 2 was superior to the first in every way. The first Kotor also had glitches,  and i beg to differ MOST of the characters were better and more diverse compared to Bioware's usual copy paste characters in every game, Obsidian has always been better at writing and dialogue trees than Bioware with their "Yeah, Lol Yeah, FUCK YEAARRR"  dialogue. Bioware is much better at creating universes but they could take a lesson from Obsidian when it comes to writing. 

Kotor 2 is definately not the tragedy Dragon Age II is, the only reason the fanboys hate on it so much is because its not by bioware. I'd say be glad Bioware didn't make Kotor 2 it probably would have been ME2 & DA2 lol. What issues Kotor 2 had was mainly because lucas arts rushed it and not because of Obsidian. Honestly at this point if there was ever a Kotor 3 announced i'd want anyone BUT Bioware to develope it since their intent on destroying their own franchises. Kotor 3 by Bioware just might turn into the force unleashed.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Juvarial

<> 
    All day. 
    Everyday.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Mike76x
    @iKANNIBAL said:

" @Mike76x:  Besides the ending Kotor 2 was superior to the first in every way. The first Kotor also had glitches,  and i beg to differ MOST of the characters were better and more diverse compared to Bioware's usual copy paste characters in every game, Obsidian has always been better at writing and dialogue trees than Bioware with their "Yeah, Lol Yeah, FUCK YEAARRR"  dialogue. Bioware is much better at creating universes but they could take a lesson from Obsidian when it comes to writing.  Kotor 2 is definately not the tragedy Dragon Age II is, the only reason the fanboys hate on it so much is because its not by bioware. I'd say be glad Bioware didn't make Kotor 2 it probably would have been ME2 & DA2 lol. What issues Kotor 2 had was mainly because lucas arts rushed it and not because of Obsidian. Honestly at this point if there was ever a Kotor 3 announced i'd want anyone BUT Bioware to develope it since their intent on destroying their own franchises. Kotor 3 by Bioware just might turn into the force unleashed. "

Are you kidding?
    The story in KoToR2 literally made me hate Star Wars.
    The story was bad, the characters were bad, with the exception of the breaking down items to base components, there was nothing good about it.
    People following you because you're a force vacuum, so they don't need to create valid reasons for your companions to be there? That was stupid.
    Spectro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Spectro
    @Mike76x said:
    " @iKANNIBAL said:
    Anyway OP why did you list Kotor 2? surely Kotor 2 is better than DA2, Kotor 2 might have had a really crap ending but its dialogue and its mechanics were certainly superior to the first Kotor. "
    KoToR 2 was horrible. I fell through floors constantly, NONE of the characters were likable, the bad guys were crap, and it was just the worst thing to ever happen to the Star Wars universe in general. "
    I don't even remember any of the characters from KOTOR 2. What does that say?
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#191  Edited By armaan8014
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    " It could have benefited from recycling some stuff from DA:O. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spectro said:
    " @Mike76x said:
    " @iKANNIBAL said:
    KoToR 2 was horrible. I fell through floors constantly, NONE of the characters were likable, the bad guys were crap, and it was just the worst thing to ever happen to the Star Wars universe in general. "
    I don't even remember any of the characters from KOTOR 2. What does that say? "
    You have a bad memory?
    DTKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By DTKT

I thought ME2 sold way more than 2 mil?

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#194  Edited By Dookysharpgun

No excuses, they had concepts for DA2 down before the release of DA:O. I seen a dev diary where it was made clear. 8 months to produce a crappy game, and people are praising it? Jesus Christ, what is the matter with the world as of late? We're living in an economic sinkhole, where people are looking for quality, and sinking their money into it...fuck Bioware if they play the 'poor us, we only had a short amount of time to develop our games' card on us...bullshit! Welcome to the big leagues, you've been in it a while now, you aren't some Indie devs who can use that excuse, so don't pull that shit with us. You've got EA backing you, you've made plenty of good games before the recent slump, stop your pathetic groveling to cover your holes, and looking for sympathy, get back to making quality games, and stop making us pay full price for some last minute, glued together project you had so you could make some quick money. Can't believe what pricks they've become. Sorry Bioware, you've flown too high to suddenly pull this crap now.

Welcome to the limelight, where critics beat the hell out of you for being incompetent, don't like it? Too bad.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Shayera said:
    " We're playing a beta. They will sell us the other half of the game through DLC. "
    It was a ~35 hour game with dozens of hours of dialogue. God you're spoiled on AAA.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By jmrwacko

Also, I don't buy this rumor in the first place. It really would be impossible for them to have developed a game of this magnitude in 8 months. Just think about how long it would take to make the assets alone.

@Dookysharpgun said:

" No excuses, they had concepts for DA2 down before the release of DA:O. I seen a dev diary where it was made clear. 8 months to produce a crappy game, and people are praising it? Jesus Christ, what is the matter with the world as of late? We're living in an economic sinkhole, where people are looking for quality, and sinking their money into it...fuck Bioware if they play the 'poor us, we only had a short amount of time to develop our games' card on us...bullshit! Welcome to the big leagues, you've been in it a while now, you aren't some Indie devs who can use that excuse, so don't pull that shit with us. You've got EA backing you, you've made plenty of good games before the recent slump, stop your pathetic groveling to cover your holes, and looking for sympathy, get back to making quality games, and stop making us pay full price for some last minute, glued together project you had so you could make some quick money. Can't believe what pricks they've become. Sorry Bioware, you've flown too high to suddenly pull this crap now.  Welcome to the limelight, where critics beat the hell out of you for being incompetent, don't like it? Too bad. "

LOL nice rant, Mr. armchair elitist.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By napalm

I have a mind to think they did this to focus everything on Mass Effect 3. Apparently the game is currently playable from start to finish, minus the score, and probably still doing dialogue and squashing bugs/polish.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#198  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Dookysharpgun said:
     Welcome to the limelight, where critics beat the hell out of you for being incompetent, don't like it? Too bad. "
    But uh, it has a 79 on metacritic. That isn't a critical beating. Internet hyperbole is fun, isn't it?
    Santa_8aby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Santa_8aby

Dragon Age 2 is to Bioware as Load is to Metallica.  This will be where the fanbase fractures. 

LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#200  Edited By LinksOcarina

In the end, none of this matters because the game is going to be memorable down the road, be it positive or negative.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.