Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Templars or Mages (possible spoilers)

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Red
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Red

Simply put, which side to you sympathize with? I'm not talking about any specific choices here, just which side do you agree with? 
    I personally go for mages, as the templars just seem like jerks. Also, there's something about an outlaw mage that always seems so oddly cool to me.    

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Turambar

Mages.  Merril is adorable.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By melcene

Mages.  Because I always play one. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

If anything, the decision is hard by value of the fact that both sides are dicks.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald

Templars. The needs of the many outweigh the few or the one.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By wrighteous86

I predict it will be 90% mages, since Bioware stacked the deck heavily in favor of the mages.  It's one of the worst things about what could be a thought-provoking decision.  Hey, let's have mages be persecuted by templars because they could legitimately be looked at as dangers to society, and since it's a complex issue where neither side is completely right or wrong let's have that be the main point of the story.  Now let's make your character's father a mage, sibling a mage, a possibility that you're a mage, let's make most of your party mages with only one having a strong anti-mage stance (which can easily be viewed as unfair because his issues stem more from slavery than magic), have the Templar leader go power-mad and the Mage leader pleading for peace and reasonable discussion, and then let's pretend like we're presenting the issue fairly.  You pretty much have to condemn yourself, your family, your friends, and thousands of innocent people in order to pick the Templar side.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By myslead

on my second playthrough I sided with the Templars 
    and I think the situation is not handled properly. I mean, Hawke dialogue says about siding with the Templars to restore order, which is a fine thing, but the whole situation is not being portrayed as such, they should have put more shades of gray into it. 

but choices doesn't matter much anyway as no matter what you pick, you get the same ending...

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 02sfraser

Mages definitely although I can see why the templars fear them. Some of them do get a bit fucking crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's really frustrating how there is no proper Chantry option.  The proper Chantry law would remove Meredith from power, and restate the Circle to function as the Chant demands.

SPOILERS AHOY

The Templar order under Meredith had clearly violated Chantry law, especially regarding the Circle.  In fact, the only thing that is legal under Chantry law was her sending for the Rite of Annulment.  Tranquility is never to be practiced upon mages who have finished the Harrowing, only failed apprentices.  The Templars adopted roles in both the Circle and Kirkwall beyond their scope.  When Leliana visited, it should have been clear to a member of the Chantry and hand of the Divine that law had been violated, and the Templars were beginning to flaunt Chantry law.  It is only obvious that the ending has the Templar Order break from the Chantry into some paramilitary organization, regardless of Hawke's choice.

There's a reason why the ending feels far less rewarding than Origins.  In the end, it's actually pretty unimportant that your character was there at all.  Regardless of your actions, Meredith was going to be driven mad by the profane lyrium, and Anders was going to magic-bomb the Chantry.  You bore witness to the instigation of a war between two extremists who were both possessed by demons.  Hawke's presence, that of the player, is not necessary whatsoever.  The only thing Hawke accomplished was saving the lives of a few of his companions, but Anders and Meredith instigated their sides into open war across the continent.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ryanwho
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Aronman789

I hate the Templars since they're zealots, and I hate the Magi since they're all too big a coward to stand up for themselves.......... 

I'd go Magi I guess, if only so I can see them all turn to demons and wreck havoc.  

Or at least that's what should happen.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle

Mages need to not be so passive and just take over the world.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " It doesn't matter: 
    "
    Also this. Even though I've killed about 100 rogue mages, all that matters is what I say to questgivers on the main quests.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cornman89

They're both pretty crazy. But mages.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By melcene
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    "  let's make most of your party mages with only one having a strong anti-mage stance (which can easily be viewed as unfair because his issues stem more from slavery than magic),  "
    Keep in mind that YOUR game is different from other peoples' games.  In my game I had at least two anti-mage people (Fenris and Carver and probably Sebastian but I don't run around with him enough).  Including myself there were a total of three mages that could be out at any particular time (myself, Anders and Merrill though I hate using her).  How is this any more than the three rogues available to me (Sebastian, Isabella, and Varric)?  
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wrighteous86
    @melcene said:

" @Wrighteous86 said:

"  let's make most of your party mages with only one having a strong anti-mage stance (which can easily be viewed as unfair because his issues stem more from slavery than magic),  "
    Keep in mind that YOUR game is different from other peoples' games.  In my game I had at least two anti-mage people (Fenris and Carver and probably Sebastian but I don't run around with him enough).  Including myself there were a total of three mages that could be out at any particular time (myself, Anders and Merrill though I hate using her).  How is this any more than the three rogues available to me (Sebastian, Isabella, and Varric)?   "
    That's a fair point. I guess I assumed Carver would be pro-mage because of Bethany.  In that case though, you're a mage...so it's hard to justify your character siding with Templars, I assume.  Sebastian doesn't think mages should run wild, but he thinks the actions of the Templars are overkill.  Even after Anders does what he does, Sebastian says that Anders should be punished, not the entire Circle (I had him in my party during that scene).  Sebastian seems to side with temperance and reason.  So I guess that means 2 pro-Templars if your a mage (which would imply you'd be pro-mage), though Aveline leans Templar, but she's easily persuaded.  If you're a warrior, you're not automatically Templar, so you could still reason that you'd side with the mages, since that's what the Hawkes did in Lothering (since Hawke's dad and sister are apostates) and your mother sides with the mages too, in addition to having Anders and Merrill (admittedly two bad examples of mages).  I guess it's a bit more balanced, depending on how you look at it, but I still think the game tends to favor Mages over Templars in most instances.
    Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i helped everyone but its the bloody mages who keep sending demons over to me. so they die and i blame anders.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vonocourt
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " Mages.  Merril is adorable. "
    "

But yeah, Mages seemed like the only choice. 'Specially since my ladyhawke was one.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Vonocourt: That's weird, because I totally finished the quest that way and after she said "It's like a bad dream", she never mentioned it ever again. Made her seem like a sociopath.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    " @Vonocourt: That's weird, because I totally finished the quest that way and after she said "It's like a bad dream", she never mentioned it ever again. Made her seem like a sociopath. "
    Same here. I actually loaded up a previous save since I thought it was a bug and chose the other option where they simply let you walk free but she still doesn't bring it up ever again. They really could've tied that quest up better unless I'm missing something.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turambar
    @Vonocourt said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Turambar said:
    "

But yeah, Mages seemed like the only choice. 'Specially since my ladyhawke was one. "
    I had the exact same glitch.  I was so confused at first too.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vinny_Says
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By mazik765
    @Wrighteous86:  I disagree. I think they did a great job making the decision a thought provoking one, and although I sided with the mages, I quickly saw that a less extreme circle would probably be more beneficial choice. Also how is 'most of your party' mages? There are maximum 3 mages out of what...7 or 8 total characters? And I can think of at least 3 (possibly 4) characters with fairly strong anti-mage sentiments and only 2 with pro-mage sentiments (both of whom end up making you question if mages deserve their freedom).
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wrighteous86
    @mazik765: The 92% percent in this thread seems to agree with my point.  You're right that it's just under half of your party, I didn't actually do the math when I wrote that, but I can't think of anyone but Fenris that is anti-mage.  Aveline is wary about the situation, but she's far from saying that the anti-mage endgame is a good thing.  In my game, at least, Fenris was the only one to completely approve of that, whereas the rest felt that the person specifically responsible should be held accountable (a reasonable assertion, in my opinion).  In any case, there are, no matter your choices, at least 2 mages in your family, and they are good people who have been forced into hiding or practically arrested because of something they were born with.  That, along with the fact that leading up to the endgame, Meredith has been grasping for more power and a police-state, while templars and mages and First Enchanter Orsino are asking for honest debate and peaceful resolutions, make it kind of obvious who the developers thought were the "right" choice.  Is that last sentence different in your game, though?  I'm curious if that was only the case because of my choices.  

Personally, I think the argument that the mages make that you can't punish everyone by association is a pretty strong one, considering in American history it's tended to do be something we've regretted, like the Japanese internment camps in WW2, or the anti-Muslim sentiments since 9/11.  Toss that in with the whole gay/race debate, and punishing someone for the situations of their birth and not the contents of their character, and I didn't think the Templar arguments held up as well.  Benjamin Franklin once said, " He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither."
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho
    @Turambar said:
    " @Vonocourt said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Turambar said:
    "

But yeah, Mages seemed like the only choice. 'Specially since my ladyhawke was one. "
    I had the exact same glitch.  I was so confused at first too. "
    Mine had her talking about them in the present tense like they were still alive. Which added to the creepiness, kind of. Maybe she was in denial? I'm more inclined to think it was an accident.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

Why would I want to avoid it? Who plays a game with 'consequences' then hovers around the reset button in case they make a bad choice? Bitches, that's who.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ryanwho said:

" Why would I want to avoid it? Who plays a game with 'consequences' then hovers around the reset button in case they make a bad choice? Bitches, that's who. "

This is sadly mostly because you do not get to see what exactly your character will actually say and all responces are 3-5 words long.
    With that particular situation for example you have 0% of a clue what impact any of the 3 choices will actually have. Which is just stupid.
    In most cases I don't do it. 

Oh and I killed them all regardless :)
    As for consequence, DA2 has barely any, your most important choice for example: templar/mages is meaningless.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By project343

Mages. Always. 

I'm a mage. I'm in a relationship with a mage. Hero of Ferelden was a mage. Son, MAGES.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@VelvetLore04 said:
    " Mages need to not be so passive and just take over the world. "
    They did, it was called the Tevinter Imperium.  All those stories about slaves being sacrificed by the hundredfold, the horrible history of Kirkwall and the Bone Pit, that is what happens to mages run amok.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Templars are only hard to stand with because of Meredith.  If the Templars were ran as Chantry law states, if Cullen were Knight-Commander, the decision at the end would probably be more difficult.  Meredith seeks to destroy all mages and then everyone else.  Cullen (and Chantry law) would dissolve the Circle and rebuild it.

If I'm not mistaken, even the Rite of Annulment isn't as simple as "kill all the mages!" considering I annulled the Fereldan Circle, and it was merely scrubbed clean of demons and blood mages (I'm assuming this involved invasive trials upon the Circle mages and apprentices) and reinstated.  Wynne survived and stayed at the Circle into Awakening, and I consulted with the Circle later to find evidence to lead me to Morrigan.

The problem with selecting Templar in the endgame is that Meredith is an irredeemable tyrant who openly broke the law.  It's almost as if the game is daring you to be foolish.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By mazik765
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    " @mazik765: The 92% percent in this thread seems to agree with my point.  You're right that it's just under half of your party, I didn't actually do the math when I wrote that, but I can't think of anyone but Fenris that is anti-mage.  Aveline is wary about the situation, but she's far from saying that the anti-mage endgame is a good thing.  In my game, at least, Fenris was the only one to completely approve of that, whereas the rest felt that the person specifically responsible should be held accountable (a reasonable assertion, in my opinion).  In any case, there are, no matter your choices, at least 2 mages in your family, and they are good people who have been forced into hiding or practically arrested because of something they were born with.  That, along with the fact that leading up to the endgame, Meredith has been grasping for more power and a police-state, while templars and mages and First Enchanter Orsino are asking for honest debate and peaceful resolutions, make it kind of obvious who the developers thought were the "right" choice.  Is that last sentence different in your game, though?  I'm curious if that was only the case because of my choices.   Personally, I think the argument that the mages make that you can't punish everyone by association is a pretty strong one, considering in American history it's tended to do be something we've regretted, like the Japanese internment camps in WW2, or the anti-Muslim sentiments since 9/11.  Toss that in with the whole gay/race debate, and punishing someone for the situations of their birth and not the contents of their character, and I didn't think the Templar arguments held up as well.  Benjamin Franklin once said, " He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither." "
    Fenris and Sebastian are both pretty anti-mage. If you get Carver he's pretty anti-mage and Aveline is pretty pro-templar so I'm going to count that as anti-mage :P. The problem with comparing the situtation in-game to the real-world situation of persecuting gays or Muslims is that the last time I checked gays and Muslims weren't really at risk of demonic possession. I was right there with you, I didn't think that every mage is at risk for using blood magic or consorting with demons. No matter how many times the Templars claimed that every mage would use blood magic if the temptation was strong enough I said 'fuck you guys, I'm with the mages). But then as I progressed through Act 3 this claim became more and more true.
    CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CottonWolf
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    "
    "
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By wrighteous86
    @mazik765:
    That's true, but in a lot of the cases, I was of the opinion that the harsh conditions they were forced into pushed them into blood magic.  People are capable of shitty things when forced into horrible situations (not that that makes it okay).  However, you've convinced me that it's not as one-sided as I once believed.  Sebastian is pro-Templar, but he also didn't support the "final solution" and stuff at all.  He was a follower of the Chantry, and the Chantry believed in protecting lives.
    Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Merill was the biggest reason why I supported the Mages. However I saw why the Templars were a very necessary force so I did my best to support Thrask and Cullen when I could. 

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @AestheticSynthesis said:
    " Merill was the biggest reason why I supported the Mages. However I saw why the Templars were a very necessary force so I did my best to support Thrask and Cullen when I could.  "
    That's what I liked about the story so much, there were good people on both sides, no side was totally irredeemable and both could make good arguments for their causes. It made the ending feel that more dramatic.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By weltal

Mages.

I don't support slavery, you guys.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By wrighteous86

Yeah, Cullen redeemed himself in my eyes... I was iffy about him at first.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Weltal said:
    " Mages.

I don't support slavery, you guys. "
    Mages aren't slaves.
    If anything they are more comparable to prisoners in minimum security.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Enigma777

You know, I was all for the mages till Orsino turned into one of those shitty flesh golems (god I hated that entire quest in Origins!) and then he admitted he helped out my mother's killer with his research. I don't know why Bioware tried to go so much out of their way to prove that everyone and their mother is a bloodmage. Honestly, I get it, temptation and all that jazz, but come on! There's a fine line between staying somewhat believable and going batshit crazy with it!

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @Vonocourt said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Turambar said:
    "

I had the exact same glitch.  I was so confused at first too. "
    Mine had her talking about them in the present tense like they were still alive. Which added to the creepiness, kind of. Maybe she was in denial? I'm more inclined to think it was an accident. "
    Well it is possible to not kill them. Except for the one. They're still alive in my game.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DrPockets000

I read this as "who is more likely to fuck up a whole bunch of people really fast?" 

This could be attributed to a bias, as I was a mage in both games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.