Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age Origins DLC: Why is this okay?

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Okay so this is a quick question/comment I have for everyone out there... Why is that when Valve decides they want to make a sequel to their wildly popular Left 4 Dead game, similar to how Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Madden (among others) make year-out sequels, everyone throws shit at a wall like crazed monkeys. (By everyone I of course mean the people who acted like crazed monkeys, not the reasonable folk). But when Dragon Age: Origins launches with Day 1 downloadable content that could have just as easily been put on the disc, nobody seems to care?

Now, I understand that one of the two big DLC packs comes with every new, shiny copy of the game and that's an anti-piracy sort of measure, and that I'm totally okay with. But the 2nd one, Warden's Keep, costs $7 and one of it's benefits includes expanding your inventory. That sounds kind of like if you had to pay to expand your attache case in Resident Evil 4. Sure, you don't have too, but of course it's only a better idea if you do. Borderlands is in desperate need of a place to store items I want because they're trophies or I just think they're pretty, but if DLC launched day and date with the game, I don't even know if I'd buy the game. I know it's effected my decision to buy Dragon Age, which to be fair I was already kind of lackluster about anyway.

So why is this okay? Why can Dragon Age get away with this shady business, but when Valve wants to make a bigger and better game, they get the biggest kinds of tantrums? I get that maybe it has something to do with Dragon Age being delayed, but it still just seems like they expect the hardcore fans to foot that bill, and I don't think that's incredibly fair. Somebody explain to me, calmly and intelligently, how this makes any kind of sense.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

Okay so this is a quick question/comment I have for everyone out there... Why is that when Valve decides they want to make a sequel to their wildly popular Left 4 Dead game, similar to how Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Madden (among others) make year-out sequels, everyone throws shit at a wall like crazed monkeys. (By everyone I of course mean the people who acted like crazed monkeys, not the reasonable folk). But when Dragon Age: Origins launches with Day 1 downloadable content that could have just as easily been put on the disc, nobody seems to care?

Now, I understand that one of the two big DLC packs comes with every new, shiny copy of the game and that's an anti-piracy sort of measure, and that I'm totally okay with. But the 2nd one, Warden's Keep, costs $7 and one of it's benefits includes expanding your inventory. That sounds kind of like if you had to pay to expand your attache case in Resident Evil 4. Sure, you don't have too, but of course it's only a better idea if you do. Borderlands is in desperate need of a place to store items I want because they're trophies or I just think they're pretty, but if DLC launched day and date with the game, I don't even know if I'd buy the game. I know it's effected my decision to buy Dragon Age, which to be fair I was already kind of lackluster about anyway.

So why is this okay? Why can Dragon Age get away with this shady business, but when Valve wants to make a bigger and better game, they get the biggest kinds of tantrums? I get that maybe it has something to do with Dragon Age being delayed, but it still just seems like they expect the hardcore fans to foot that bill, and I don't think that's incredibly fair. Somebody explain to me, calmly and intelligently, how this makes any kind of sense.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Downloadable content was supposed to arrive months after, game was heavily delayed, so instead it's released alongside the game.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DrRandle

That doesn't excuse that one of the items of the DLC is something that would have made the game better to play, first of all. Second of all, couldn't they have scooted the DLC back for posterity sake? Just a little?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Well, look at Mass Effect on the other hand.  DLC was developed for that game until after it was released, when the development team had already moved on to other projects.  What we're left with is sub-par, short, underwhelming extra content.  So with Dragon Age they had their team begin work on new content as soon as they were done with the game.. which obviously makes people question the fact why it wasn't just included with part of the game, but that would involve delaying the game to include these exra parts.  Not every member of the staff continues working on a game right up to the very minute of release.

At the very least, they are giving us one of the packs for free, when it was originally supposed to be paid only.
    Perhaps they could have delayed the content instead of releasing it alongside the game and making it look like it was cut just to sell, but if it's finished, why not release it?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Kazona

It's my understanding that Warden's Keep is part of the deluxe version originally. Perhaps they're offering it as seperate DLC for those who bought the standard edition, so that those people can have access to that extra content as well. Basically you could either pay more for the deluxe edition and have the DLC plus some extra stuff, or you could buy the standard version and pay for the DLC. I do believe that some things were unique to the deluxe edition, though, so you'll probably never see those available as DLC. At least I hope not because otherwise it would defeat the entire purpose of buying a deluxe edition. 

Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Khemitude

The DLC was created by another team not the ones making the actual main game, so it's understandable that the DLC wants to get there work appreciated buy people buying it. I mean if you worked hard doing something wouldn't you want to get paid for it? It may also be the case that they happened to finish that DLC earlier than expected so they were able to release it on Day One. Warden's keep is a whole adventure sort of thing not just expanding you inventory, every merchant in the game you can buy a backpack from and that increases your carrying capacity by 10. Not to mention the game on disc is around 8gb so there also probably wouldn't of been enough room to be able to put it on the disc aswell, I mean there would be on PS3 obviously but for the 360 and PC versions are using DVD9 Discs which are basicly Dual Layer.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Manatassi

Dragon age isn't exactly lacking in content as it is. What people commonly forget is that Dragon age's final content was finished months ago and that the process of fixing bugs and finishing the game did not include adding content. The content that comes in the DLC was developed after the final content was locked down for the game in all probability.  

Understanding the way games are made and the resources that are placed into DLC is important to this argument.  Each game has a set budget which allows for a certain amount of development on the project. After those resources are depleted if the developer wants to add more content they have to get the money to do so from Publishers and Investors. They are unlikely to get this money if there isn't going to be a return on the investment. Before the popularity of DLC this content simply wouldn't have seen the light of day. As it stands we are getting free extra content which will be paid for by incentivising the purchases of the new retail product and optional extra content available if we want  to pay a relatively small fee. 

If the content comes out and it is too small to warrant the price, or if the content is clearly already on the retail Disc then I think there is every cause to complain. However this doesn't appear to be the case so far for Dragon Age. The expansion of your storage was a possible issue, however I have seen no complaints that storage of items is a concern in any of the Reviews or impressions I have read. This leads me to assume that there was no choice made to limit your storage in game to a degree that would affect the core experience, which would be unreasonable. 

Left 4 Dead is a very different situation to the dragon age DLC. Personally I don't have a problem with that situation either, as the game looks fully featured and has enough new content to warrant a retail release.   

Some complaints seem to be coming from Console gamers who have grown up with the idea that you purchase a single product in Cartridge or Disc form and that is the final product, the concept of purchasing extra content seems to be confusing to them as to why it wasn't on the final Retail Disc. This is mostly due to a suspicion of new developments and not understanding the development process of a game.  

What seems like the majority of complaints seem to be coming from current or past PC gamers who are confused as to having to pay for content that they they think would have been provided free of charge in the past. Sometimes this confusion is fully justified, as developers attempt to charge for minor expansions such as map packs in a shooter. Unfortunately the sad reality of the situation is that due to piracy, the difficulty of keeping up with the technical requirements and the relative complexity of using a PC as a gaming platform, along side the levelling of the graphical fields between the PC and current console generation. The money simply isn't in developing the kinds of games that would have led on the PC in years gone by. Developers of bigger budget games are attempting to find ways of keeping these games viable on the PC platform. Part of this is their turning to DLC to provide a revenue of income. 

However I do think that the DLC content for Dragon age isn't something that would have come free in the past even on PC. This is speculation as I haven't seen the content fully yet. It simply seems like the kind of content that would have been included in the development of an expansion release, made available as and when it is finished rather than expanded often with filler to warrant a $40 - $50 release. As with Fallout and Oblivion (once you get past the horse armour) these are the contents of a more diverse expansion split up and released to be downloaded as and when you want to.  

The merits of the price to content ratio can readily be debated once we have that information and I am not arguing that in some cases the price has been too high for DLC content. However I cannot complain about the way that Bioware is currently handling the Dragon Age DLC as it does not seem to have impacted the content of the game.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kazona
    @Manatassi:
    I agree with you. People seem to have this strange notion that content keeps beeing added to the game even a week before release, when in reality all the content is set in stone several months before it goes to print. During those months the focus lies on bug testing and QA. Any extra content that a developer has time (and money) to make during these months won't make it onto the disc. 

Basically there come a point where a developer has to say, "ok, this game is finished. Time to lock it down." If that doesn't happen, then the game will never see its release. Before DLC, a lot of ideas that came after content was locked down would never see the light of day, unless there were enough ideas to warrant a full expansion. Now developers have the option to keep including new ideas well after the main game has been finished.
    raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By raddevon
    @WinterSnowblind:
    @Kazona:
    @Khemitude:
    @Manatassi:
    Excellent arguments on the parts of everyone posting in this thread. I too have been miffed at certain DLC offerings for games. For some reason, the DA:O stuff hadn't affected me quite as profoundly, but I do understand that it intuitively seems wrong on some level. The rebuttals here are making me reconsider being even slightly hesitant about the validity of the offerings currently available. Thanks!
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kazona
    @raddevon:
    I actually made a good argument? Now there's something you don't see every day.
    raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By raddevon
    @Kazona: Mark today on your calendar, sir. ;-)
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jeffsekai

Because when ever Valve chooses to add DLC (i.e. Crash Corse) its for some level that takes at most 1 hour to play though and after that there is zero insentive to play it after. Also, Left 4 Dead is already low on content to when we are charged for DLC it really feels like somthing that should have been in the game to begin with.

Dragon age on the other hand has over 50 hours of solid gameplay, and the DLC is only there to help further your experiance of the game if you really want to. Its not like by not buying the Dragon age DLC you are no longer getting your monies worth you still are now your just getting more so.

Also when Valve why hypeing L4D they said all DLC would be free alla TF2

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Driadon

Yet another argument that softens the blow is that much of the day-1 DLC was given both with Deluxe editions of the games and pre-orders. So, not only did I save $5 from pre-ordering from a specific location, but I also got a few bucks of extra content free because I decided to pay 2 weeks in advance.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sumbog

Wardens keep is part of the Steam Delux Downloadable pack because with the Steam special addition you cannot get a cloth map digitally
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrRandle
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Yukoei
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Because when ever Valve chooses to add DLC (i.e. Crash Corse) its for some level that takes at most 1 hour to play though and after that there is zero insentive to play it after. Also, Left 4 Dead is already low on content to when we are charged for DLC it really feels like somthing that should have been in the game to begin with.  Dragon age on the other hand has over 50 hours of solid gameplay, and the DLC is only there to help further your experiance of the game if you really want to. Its not like by not buying the Dragon age DLC you are no longer getting your monies worth you still are now your just getting more so.  Also when Valve why hypeing L4D they said all DLC would be free alla TF2 "
    No offense dude but why would anyone in their right mind trust VALVe?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

Rock Band puts out games annually? And I thought I was a fan of the series. Shouldn't I know about these developments? To be fair, technically they did... once.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox

This is exactly why I'm waiting for the GOTY edition that has DLC included.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Downloadable content was supposed to arrive months after, game was heavily delayed, so instead it's released alongside the game. "
    This. 

The reason that they've given is that a separate team worked on the DLC than the core Dragon Age Origins team.  My assumption would mean that there is some form of thing that isn't present in the contract for that team to get paid on the scale necessary for their work if the DLC portion was included in the game. 

Also...I don't know much about the DLC, I've made my own views about the DAO day 1 DLC clear in other places, but I'll state it one more time:  I'm not a fan of launch day DLC, and especially with a game of this magnitude (length of playtimes, etc). 

But...if people want it, there's little I can do other than say "I don't like the idea of launch day DLC".
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By SonicFire

You bring up a good point:  

I don't think companies owe us DLC, but I know you're not saying they do. Often, the "we couldn't put it in the game" or "it wouldn't have been in there otherwise" argument is used. But we really have no way of knowing if that claim is valid, or if it's just an excuse. 

I love DLC that adds longevity and value to a title, but I don't think things should be cut or intentionally separated to sell more. After all, only half of xbox consoles are taken online, meaning a lot of players will never know what they're missing.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Jimbo

Although this was a terrible comparison, I'm guessing it's because a lot of people considered L4D to be light on content, where as most people understand that getting 50-80 hours of (apparently) high quality entertainment is pretty generous as it is.  It's hard to begrudge them their DLC if they're already giving so much content.

Whilst I respect people taking issue with the nickel and dime culture that publishers are adopting, I don't think this is a very fair target.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pweidman
    @jakob187 said:
     I've made my own views about the DAO day 1 DLC clear in other places, but I'll state it one more time:  I'm not a fan of launch day DLC, and especially with a game of this magnitude (length of playtimes, etc).  But...if people want it, there's little I can do other than say "I don't like the idea of launch day DLC". "
    Agreed.  I just don't think the launch announcement of paid-for DLC is very good marketing at all.  If the game is really good it's great but why announce it alongside the launch of the game and bring on the doubts?  There is a better way than this current trend imo, that's all.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EvilTwin

There's really no reason at all other than that people expect more from Valve so when they do something that seems anti-consumer it's more disappointing.  Bioware is a great developer but they certainly don't have the good will of gamers that Valve usually has, and now even less so since they're owned by EA.  Basically, their DLC is absolute bullshit, but they weren't as high on the ladder as Valve, so they didn't have as far to fall.  

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @DrRandle said:

But when Dragon Age: Origins launches with Day 1 downloadable content that could have just as easily been put on the disc, nobody seems to care?   

If you don't make games you have no right whatsoever to say that. 

And even then you'd probably have to work at the DAO developer to have a right to say that. 

The time in between the day the game went gold and the day the DLC comes out is what you should be looking at, not the release of the DLC and the release of the game.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Jimbo said:
    "Although this was a terrible comparison, I'm guessing it's because a lot of people considered L4D to be light on content, where as most people understand that getting 50-80 hours of (apparently) high quality entertainment is pretty generous as it is.  It's hard to begrudge them their DLC if they're already giving so much content." 

This is pretty much dead on, but there's also the fact that it was stated before release that L4D would have a TF2 update model, with things like new weapons and enemies and campaigns, etc. added to the game over time.  So when the game came out with arguably a pretty modest amount of game content to say the least (much like TF2 at release), it seemed natural to think that it would be pumped up to something several times its initial size given, yes, Valve's record, but more particularly given the claims about the update model by Doug Lombardi and Gabe Newell himself. 

Along comes L4D2 and it adds pretty much everything that many people had been given the impression was going to be in L4D eventually (and yet at the same time, not much else besides [not to badmouth L4D2 or anything]), so it was only natural that so many would have the reactions they did, especially if they had already been feeling annoyed at the super sluggish pace at which very rudimentary things were being added to L4D up to that point.  I'm one of the (much) less angered among these people, but to be sure, I felt and still feel deceived to some extent (as Gabe's words were the reason I bought the game at full price despite feeling it wasn't quite worth that from the demo) and have been made very untrusting of anything said about a game made by the Turtle Rock team at Valve from this point forward. 

More to the topic at hand, though, I agree with the TC about the Dragon Age DLC deterring me from buying the game until a GOTY version.  I don't want to buy the game now because I feel like I'll be missing out on content I would want in the DLC, and I don't want to buy the DLC individually because you can only download it once and because I don't want to spend the extra money on it.  Pretty annoying, because I'd like to play it now, but I feel like I can't.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Seppli

I believe, that developers and publishers aren't obligated to give us everything they have. They are obligated to give us a good value for our money (not even that, but good business is good business for both customer and corporation). Given the fact, that Dragon Age : Origins is the biggest Bioware game yet with a campaign lasting up to a 100h in its first playthrough, I don't understand the issue. The game is perfectly fine without the optional day 1 DLC. If you are into it, why not pick it up? I know, what some of the extra cash I'd pay for the DLC will be used for - the next Bioware RPG, of which I hope to see many more. So no - I don't have a problem with day 1 premium DLC, as long as the core value of the game is good/great and I like/love the developers.

It would be another thing, if I'd have to buy the final chapter of the game. If that wouldn't be included in a game, I'd be royally pissed!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Seppli
    @JP_Russell said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    "Although this was a terrible comparison, I'm guessing it's because a lot of people considered L4D to be light on content, where as most people understand that getting 50-80 hours of (apparently) high quality entertainment is pretty generous as it is.  It's hard to begrudge them their DLC if they're already giving so much content." 
    ...More to the topic at hand, though, I agree with the TC about the Dragon Age DLC deterring me from buying the game until a GOTY version.  I don't want to buy the game now because I feel like I'll be missing out on content I would want in the DLC, and I don't want to buy the DLC individually because you can only download it once and because I don't want to spend the extra money on it.  Pretty annoying, because I'd like to play it now, but I feel like I can't. "

At least on Xbox Live, DLC is connected to your account. As long as the content is available on the marketplace (like forever in most cases - at least until the end of the consoles lifecycle), you can re-download it any time). Though I got to agree with you about the GotY edition - if I had the patience, that would be the way to go. Sadly - life is short, as is my patience. When I want something bad, I'll get it day 1.
    Valru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Valru

1) DLC is planned months ahead with entire teams working on it.

2) Dragon Age @ $50 on steam offers way way more content than 70% of games released, the dlc only ads to a fantastic product and value.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For anyone who has decided to not get this game as a protest to launch day DLC or whatever... you're missing out. Big time.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alphiehyr

DLC at day 1? They sure love making money.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Manatassi said:
    " Dragon age isn't exactly lacking in content as it is. What people commonly forget is that Dragon age's final content was finished months ago and that the process of fixing bugs and finishing the game did not include adding content. The content that comes in the DLC was developed after the final content was locked down for the game in all probability.    Understanding the way games are made and the resources that are placed into DLC is important to this argument.  Each game has a set budget which allows for a certain amount of development on the project. After those resources are depleted if the developer wants to add more content they have to get the money to do so from Publishers and Investors. They are unlikely to get this money if there isn't going to be a return on the investment. Before the popularity of DLC this content simply wouldn't have seen the light of day. As it stands we are getting free extra content which will be paid for by incentivising the purchases of the new retail product and optional extra content available if we want  to pay a relatively small fee.  If the content comes out and it is too small to warrant the price, or if the content is clearly already on the retail Disc then I think there is every cause to complain. However this doesn't appear to be the case so far for Dragon Age. The expansion of your storage was a possible issue, however I have seen no complaints that storage of items is a concern in any of the Reviews or impressions I have read. This leads me to assume that there was no choice made to limit your storage in game to a degree that would affect the core experience, which would be unreasonable.  Left 4 Dead is a very different situation to the dragon age DLC. Personally I don't have a problem with that situation either, as the game looks fully featured and has enough new content to warrant a retail release.    Some complaints seem to be coming from Console gamers who have grown up with the idea that you purchase a single product in Cartridge or Disc form and that is the final product, the concept of purchasing extra content seems to be confusing to them as to why it wasn't on the final Retail Disc. This is mostly due to a suspicion of new developments and not understanding the development process of a game.   What seems like the majority of complaints seem to be coming from current or past PC gamers who are confused as to having to pay for content that they they think would have been provided free of charge in the past. Sometimes this confusion is fully justified, as developers attempt to charge for minor expansions such as map packs in a shooter. Unfortunately the sad reality of the situation is that due to piracy, the difficulty of keeping up with the technical requirements and the relative complexity of using a PC as a gaming platform, along side the levelling of the graphical fields between the PC and current console generation. The money simply isn't in developing the kinds of games that would have led on the PC in years gone by. Developers of bigger budget games are attempting to find ways of keeping these games viable on the PC platform. Part of this is their turning to DLC to provide a revenue of income.  However I do think that the DLC content for Dragon age isn't something that would have come free in the past even on PC. This is speculation as I haven't seen the content fully yet. It simply seems like the kind of content that would have been included in the development of an expansion release, made available as and when it is finished rather than expanded often with filler to warrant a $40 - $50 release. As with Fallout and Oblivion (once you get past the horse armour) these are the contents of a more diverse expansion split up and released to be downloaded as and when you want to.   The merits of the price to content ratio can readily be debated once we have that information and I am not arguing that in some cases the price has been too high for DLC content. However I cannot complain about the way that Bioware is currently handling the Dragon Age DLC as it does not seem to have impacted the content of the game. "
    Despite the fact that I didn't read a single sentence, let alone that whole big block of writing - I understand.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Diamond

I think the fact that people are gullible and willing to accept things such as the 'DLC team' excuse (while there are truthful elements of this, it doesn't change the core issue.  It's complex enough for people to latch onto).  I think it's also a virtue of the genre (people will say that as the game is long, it's not an issue, which is sort of a half truth) and the people that are fans of it (specifically Bioware fans who have been waiting longer for a new game, especially one with a traditional fantasy theme of any kind).  A lot of people wanted to love Dragon Age Origins from the day of announcement.  It's available on PC, 360, and PS3 which negates the fanboy troll factor.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#35  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Considering the game has more actual content in it without any of the DLC and extras from pre-orders it's kinda retarded when some are feeling offended about the DLC being there, like it's some sort of take away from the game's quality or something. Rest assured, because they actually thought the DLC path of the game out enough to start working on it along side the game doesn't mean it somehow took a chunk out of the effort for the actual game. I mean that's what people are worried about right? 

Yes it's kinda weird when you first enter your camp site or whatever and some dude asked you to help him on a quest, then it kicks you to a 'download this dlc' dialog. The largest annoyance for me is that I don't know a way to remove that quest in my log, other then that why would you care to complain?

Avatar image for heartbreakridge
    HeartbreakRidge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HeartbreakRidge
    What is *really* annoying about the launch DLC is the flasco over the DLC achievements.  Lots of people may not realize they are affected, but here it is:

Right off the bat, if you looked at the achievements on Xbox.com for DAO, you saw only the full 1000 pts, but not the 100 pts of additional achievements for the launch DLC (half for Warden's Keep and half for the Stone Prisoner).  They were eventually added several days after launch, and if you play the DLC *after* that update, all is well and good.

HOWEVER:

If you played the DLC before the update, and got one of the achievements, it pops on your console BUT it does not 'count' towards your gamerscore and it will not show as unlocked on Xbox.com.   (See this thread  for for more details.)  So far, nothing has worked to fix the problem, and no official souce has acknowledged the problem or said they are working on it.  Xbox & EA Support either can offer no support (or offer solutions which don't work like recovering your gamertag).  

Just FYI!
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Adamantium

This is ok because of the law of supply and demand. You don't have to like it, but enough people do to justify its existence.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.