Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Should this get two seperate reviews?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By Soap

It seems to me that Dragon Age: Origins could be a very different experience on PC than to it's console counter part, do you think we are likely to see a review of each? Or even just a seperate score for each?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

Absolutely, two completely separate reviews. Should probably get Dave to review the PC version.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pweidman

Whoever reviews it here at GB will mention distinctions I'm sure at least.  They didn't seem to mind the controls or the game at all in the console version of the gameplay quicklook that I could tell.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

No, just state the differences.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By FireBurger

I think it would be best to have both mentioned in the same review, so that they could compared and contrasted to each other as need be, rather than two separate reviews that don't address distinctions. Maybe like a collaborative review with Dave and one of the other guys (probably Vinny since he was doing the QL).

My guess is either Dave or Vinny would get lead on the review and basically write their review of the game and then just get input from the other when it comes to control and maybe graphics in the other version.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dbz1995

Depends how big the differences are. If not that huge, the reviewer can always just state the differences in one review. If they are massive, then possibly another review-however, we gotta remember that the GB crew are in fact human, not some kind of diety that can pull up reviews in ultimate extreme speed.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By thebeast

I don't think it would need one - if anything's going to make or break this game it's the story and gameplay, both of which won't differ significantly from platform to platform. 
    I'm sure any graphical/control/interface weaknesses/strengths/differences between the versions will be mentioned in the review, but it probably wouldn't affect the score enough to warrant a separate review.

SmithSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By SmithSyndicate

Two different scores seems reasonable, much like Famitsu did with 360/PS3 Bayonetta, but two totally different reviews seems redundant.  The two quick looks sufficed in terms of UI/control differences, and that's what seems to be the biggest difference/opportunity to grade them differently.

Lemmingzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Lemmingzx

Yes.
    Should have one review from someone who plays PC games a lot, console games rarely.
    Another review from someone who plays pretty much just console games.

I think the majority of PC gamers have already made their minds up about this game. Console gamers however will probably be relying on reviews and hearsay before they make their decision.

Basically they're two very different demographics that require reviews and reviewers from the relevant background.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Whisperkill

You should not incorporate the possibility of mods in a review, thats like saying there will be good dlc in a few months...
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

From everything I've read the story and basic gameplay are exactly the same in both console and PC versions of the game. The only difference is the user interface. So, I'm thinking that one review with a mention of the key UI/Control differences would suffice.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Nope

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Milkman said:
    " No, just state the differences. "
    Exactly there is no point in dong twice the amount of work, when that time could be better spent on other things. As Milkman wrote, they can just state the differences from console versions to the Windows version.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes, or just a section in the review

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By endaround

Only if there is a huge difference.  For example Risen is getting decent marks on the PCs while its apparently a broken mess on the 360.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Soap
    @endaround said:
    " Only if there is a huge difference.  For example Risen is getting decent marks on the PCs while its apparently a broken mess on the 360. "
    Thats what I was thinking as well, the only reason I'd expect to see two seperate reviews was if something like this was happening.
    thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thecleric

I'm pretty sure Dave's doing the PC review, I have a feeling that if time permits, Vinny will put out a console review. But the game's a huge timesink he might not have the time for, that's why they had Dave working so early on it.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Ineedaname

I thought it was only the controls and a little bit of a graphical difference between the 2.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Soap
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I thought it was only the controls and a little bit of a graphical difference between the 2. "
    Yeah, I was more worried about how the full PC experience would feel to play on a console, or if it was a good port or not.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Soap said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " I thought it was only the controls and a little bit of a graphical difference between the 2. "
    Yeah, I was more worried about how the full PC experience would feel to play on a console, or if it was a good port or not. "
    For that I don't think it deserves a full review, maybe they could mention the controls in the review, and log it in as an all platforms review considering they're the only real changes.
    dom1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dom1337

Unless each is drastically different I think one review should do. Just mention the differences.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By vager

Remember how long this game is. Is it worth doing an entirely new review of the console version? I'd say no. 
    Mentionable differences and wither it works well on the console or not is good enough for me.
    PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PJ

Dont think the score will be different from the two versions since going by the QLs the only difference is controlls and the console version seemed to work well enough not to be something that drags the score down.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

No. That would take time away from games that don't look shitty.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By endaround
    @PJ said:
    " Dont think the score will be different from the two versions since going by the QLs the only difference is controlls and the console version seemed to work well enough not to be something that drags the score down. "
    The console version seems to be much easier on normal to the point where it may actually reduce play time by 1/4.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mikemcn
    @Whisperkill said:
    "You should not incorporate the possibility of mods in a review, thats like saying there will be good dlc in a few months... "

That assumes the mods are good, most will be nude mods at first for example
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jkz

Definitely, the differences certainly look significant enough to warrant a separate review for each platform.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KimChi4U

Do you even think with all of the games coming out over the next few weeks that the staff of GB will have time to play through the same bazillion hour game twice?  

I think we'll see the PC version reviewed here with a few mentions of the differences in the console versions here or there. As far as scores go, I don't think two are necessary. I mean, Batman had extra free content on the PS3 and there was one score. I'm sure MW2 will get one score no matter which platform it's on. Why should this game be any different? 

Then again, I will buy this game whether it gets a 5/5 or a 2/5 because I have very fond memories of playing BG and BG2. I'm sure most people here have already made up their mind on this one as well. So does the score even really matter?
    Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nick

Just review the PC version and then mention what is different in the console versions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.