Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Driver

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 25, 1999

The original Driver is a classic driving game for the original Playstation.

Driver Script Leak Surfaces

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    It seems like you can count the Mississippis it takes for a video game's retail success to translate into a movie deal these days. Sometimes, though, you don't even need a favorable critical or financial pedigree to get your name in Variety; in the case of Driver, a recognizable name and an easily digested concept were apparently enough.

A Driver movie has been kicking around in some form for years now, but I hadn't heard anything about it in a good long while when the super-minimalist superannuation managed to grab what it's claiming to be the cover and first four pages of a Driver script from 2006 credited to none other than Roger Avary. Avary's probably best-known to the general movie-going public for being Quentin Tarantino's writing partner on Pulp Fiction, though in the exclusive and glamorous world of video-game movies, he's better known as the screenwriter for the kinda-OK Silent Hill movie. 

His screenwriting work hasn't been terribly consistent, but I've got a certain amount of respect for Roger Avary. More worrisome is that Constantin Film, which produced the Resident Evil film trilogy, is listed as the production company at the bottom of the page. You can see the pages for yourself below, and while it doesn't paint a particularly complete picture, it provides a decent idea of the tone Avery seemed to be going for. I don't love the apparently ripped-from-the-headlines choice of setting some portion of the action in Iraq, but it's got a pulpy quality to it that could fit the source material pretty well. 

Of course, since this is an unverified internet leak, it's impossible to gauge the script's authenticity. Even if it's legit, it doesn't necessarily mean that this is representative of the current state of Driver, or if the movie's anywhere near actual production.

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    It seems like you can count the Mississippis it takes for a video game's retail success to translate into a movie deal these days. Sometimes, though, you don't even need a favorable critical or financial pedigree to get your name in Variety; in the case of Driver, a recognizable name and an easily digested concept were apparently enough.

A Driver movie has been kicking around in some form for years now, but I hadn't heard anything about it in a good long while when the super-minimalist superannuation managed to grab what it's claiming to be the cover and first four pages of a Driver script from 2006 credited to none other than Roger Avary. Avary's probably best-known to the general movie-going public for being Quentin Tarantino's writing partner on Pulp Fiction, though in the exclusive and glamorous world of video-game movies, he's better known as the screenwriter for the kinda-OK Silent Hill movie. 

His screenwriting work hasn't been terribly consistent, but I've got a certain amount of respect for Roger Avary. More worrisome is that Constantin Film, which produced the Resident Evil film trilogy, is listed as the production company at the bottom of the page. You can see the pages for yourself below, and while it doesn't paint a particularly complete picture, it provides a decent idea of the tone Avery seemed to be going for. I don't love the apparently ripped-from-the-headlines choice of setting some portion of the action in Iraq, but it's got a pulpy quality to it that could fit the source material pretty well. 

Of course, since this is an unverified internet leak, it's impossible to gauge the script's authenticity. Even if it's legit, it doesn't necessarily mean that this is representative of the current state of Driver, or if the movie's anywhere near actual production.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By warxsnake

M60's are 7.62mm not .50BMG. M2HB are .50

script fail 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

LALA:      C'mon, Phil

PHIL:       I'm trying. He's going really fast, and these Iraqi's drive really erratically.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By HairyMike87

lame

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5  Edited By spiceninja

I'm kind of indifferent on this. Sure it's going to be bad but if bad movies keep tanking at the box office then maybe Hollywood will stop putting money behind horrible scripts.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

Cue guy driving. He continues to drive. keeps driving. He stops at a stoplight. Camera occasionally freezes to music.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Not_Rage

Jason Statham as Tanner.

Done
    afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By afrokola

Not to familiar with the games myself but these scripts are way to informative. The people writing these need to cut some of the fat out of the scene descriptions and get to the dialogue. We don't need a paragraph to explain people putting large wads of cash into duffel bags. A sentence or two is enough to explain all that.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Double0hFor
    Not_Rage said:
    Jason Statham as Tanner.Done
    wasn't he already a driver?
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Vin Diesel should be in it because he's the Wheelman

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coltonio7

Reads as good as it plays.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

Not going to be good. It's Driver! That's enough there!

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

I'm sure the story for Driver was already largely based on the pretty good Ryan O'Neal movie.

No Caption Provided
    This script just reads like a typical Hollywood video game-to-movie format. i.e. bearing little to no relation to the game it's based on.

Movie Exec#1 "Driver Vs IEDs... in Iraq!"     Movie Exec#2 "I like it but will it get them off their tractors in middle America?"

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NathHaw

Some more Fox News bashing on the final page, Lynx News Network.  That stuff is so old.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok
    nrh79 said:
    Some more Fox News bashing on the final page, Lynx News Network.  That stuff is so old.
    Well, the script is from 2006, so it wasn't old yet.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Bloviator: I haven't seen any bashing yet. Seems like just a parody to me. You can't have a modern setting and just ignore the overwhelming presence of national "news" networks.
    babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By babylonian

No way in hell, NO WAY IN HELL, is GTA: Vice City parody character Timmy Vermicelli actually the villain in the Driver movie.

I 0% buy this.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NathHaw
    @PureRok:

Good point there.  ;)
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By Cirdain

Possibly the worst screenplay I have ever seen. And i've only seen this one.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Clubvodka
    Babylonian said:
    No way in hell, NO WAY IN HELL, is GTA: Vice City parody character Timmy Vermicelli actually the villain in ... [more]

I think thats clever. The script is bad but that at least made me smile
    th0a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By th0a

i hope its based on the first drivers story, that was so intense!
    im just joking if i remember correctly the first one had an awful story, but it has been many years since i played it

caseylakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By caseylakes
    @Cirdain: So that means, it is the worst, the best, the longest, the shortest, the funniest, the most serious, etc screenplay you have ever read.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By Cirdain
    caseylakes said:
    @Cirdain: So that means, it is the worst, the best, the longest, the shortest, the funniest, the most serious, etc ... [more]
    My brother wrote that but, Fuck yeah
    SneakyPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SneakyPenguins

"you take you salt with your sugar" no this movie wont suck at all

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Bouke

Maybe Hollywood can spent some money on a movie with an actual good story for once! Diver was a good game, so i´d rather see a new game instead of this movie. 

Then again, if Driver the movie has both Paul Walker and Vin Diesel and a bunch of NOS powered Nissans it could be a win!

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Psych0Penguin

IRAQ SETTING ... RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES!!! HOW CAN IT FAIL!?!?!

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aas
    Psych0Penguin said:
    IRAQ SETTING ... RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES!!! HOW CAN IT FAIL!?!?!

Exactly!
    Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Contra

ITS LIKE IM LIVING THE NEWS!

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By RichardLOlson
    Well I seen online that vin diesle is suppose to be the "driver" in the new movie.  But its not suppose to come out till mid 20010.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Media_Master

o boy...

Baron6489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Baron6489

There is no way this is the real thing. Sure the first page is probably real, copied off of the real script but the rest is a fan-made fake. I think that Roger Avary, who won an Academy Award for his collaboration with Quentin Tarantino on "Pulp Fiction", would have a better villian than GTA: VC spoof character Timmy Vermicelli. I can just hear the collective laugh of the audience when he's introduced. Does he come complete with his water wings, maybe a psychological fear of water as well that's explained in a dialogue with one of his henchmen and later used against him in a final fight with the Driver? What's up with the Landroamer anyway? Didn't want to pay royalties to LandRover or are they ripping off GTA again, ala the Landstalker. Also, the Ameriraq Corporation? That's just plain stupid and lazy screenwriting.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.