Gearbox Software To Finish Duke Nukem Forever

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Borderlands developer Gearbox Software will indeed be finishing work started by 3D Realms on Duke Nukem Forever. The FPS--which has been in development since some of us were in swaddling clothes--will finally see its release in 2011 for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, according to Gearbox.

Gearbox was rumored to be the studio to bring the game to completion well before the confirmation this afternoon. In August, Kotaku kicked off the murmurs thanks to a well-placed source that pegged Gearbox as the dev. And when the publication went to the studio's boss Randy Pitchford for the official word, it received a coy statement that didn't deny the fact that Gearbox had DNF in its paws.  

Much later this September, 2K Games teased that it had something "big" to show at PAX Prime. Shortly after that, 3D Realms boss George Broussard tweeted an image of flying pigs, keeping the recent speculation alive and well.   

This is indeed a thing at PAX Prime.

DNF was indeed the reveal both were hinting at, according to an on-and-off again live stream 2K set up for the game's PAX unveil event, where attendees listened to Pitchford speak, watched a short video, and then got hands-on time with the game.

At the event, Pitchford said Gearbox wants the game to be "the game it was supposed to be," and suggested that he and his studio brought in people from 3D Realms to help with its completion--a process that started back in 2009.  

Speaking to the Wall Street Journal before the event, Pitchford revealed that the game is in a "polishing phase," and admitted that a launch plan is not yet in place. But at least it's actually coming now, right?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Borderlands developer Gearbox Software will indeed be finishing work started by 3D Realms on Duke Nukem Forever. The FPS--which has been in development since some of us were in swaddling clothes--will finally see its release in 2011 for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, according to Gearbox.

Gearbox was rumored to be the studio to bring the game to completion well before the confirmation this afternoon. In August, Kotaku kicked off the murmurs thanks to a well-placed source that pegged Gearbox as the dev. And when the publication went to the studio's boss Randy Pitchford for the official word, it received a coy statement that didn't deny the fact that Gearbox had DNF in its paws.  

Much later this September, 2K Games teased that it had something "big" to show at PAX Prime. Shortly after that, 3D Realms boss George Broussard tweeted an image of flying pigs, keeping the recent speculation alive and well.   

This is indeed a thing at PAX Prime.

DNF was indeed the reveal both were hinting at, according to an on-and-off again live stream 2K set up for the game's PAX unveil event, where attendees listened to Pitchford speak, watched a short video, and then got hands-on time with the game.

At the event, Pitchford said Gearbox wants the game to be "the game it was supposed to be," and suggested that he and his studio brought in people from 3D Realms to help with its completion--a process that started back in 2009.  

Speaking to the Wall Street Journal before the event, Pitchford revealed that the game is in a "polishing phase," and admitted that a launch plan is not yet in place. But at least it's actually coming now, right?
#2 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

It's about dam time. 

#3 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Wrong developer. I am disappoint.

#4 Edited by Sin4profit (2924 posts) -

Probably be better to let it die a legend...but i wonder if it'll make any money on curiosity alone...or, could be great, who the hell knows.

#5 Edited by OverLord00 (173 posts) -

damnit

#6 Posted by DeathbyYeti (744 posts) -

No thank you

#7 Posted by Dedodido (235 posts) -

About time.

#8 Posted by fitzinator (9 posts) -

boom

#9 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

BALLS OF STEEL!!!!

#10 Posted by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -

This is why you always bet on Duke.

#11 Posted by TheKbob (147 posts) -

Bubble Gum Collector's edition, eh?

#12 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

I'll believe it when i see a finished product 

#13 Posted by n00d13z (245 posts) -

I think that this is going to be one of the most overhyped games in recent history. 

#14 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

I just Duked my pants. I can't believe this is really happening.

#15 Posted by Delta_Ass (3276 posts) -

Time to finish the fight.

#16 Posted by Nytrik (153 posts) -

My first reaction: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

#17 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Duke is a curse, gearbox is going DOWN!

#18 Posted by lolgreg (244 posts) -

Shit just got real

#19 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -

You can see the girl to the right want's to touch Dukes leet peenor.

#20 Posted by Mariorules85 (33 posts) -

2011 looks like a fixed date to me.

#21 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Sure hope this don't delay Borderlands 2.
#22 Posted by DrBeardface (249 posts) -

I've got some swamp land to sell you.

#23 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

I'm buying this game day 1 even if it's terrible. This is a part of gaming history. 

#24 Posted by Dr_VonBoogie (348 posts) -

It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm a quadriplegic!

#25 Posted by Malphye (413 posts) -

Seeing Duke for the first real time and Jeff, Brad on the 2k live stream... My quota is filled for the day. L8r.

#26 Posted by jaklap (110 posts) -

They better do something epic, FPS's have evolved so much since this even made it's last engine move.    

#27 Posted by MasonL87 (106 posts) -

Attention Universe: NOBODY CARES ANYMORE!!!

#28 Posted by supermike6 (3561 posts) -

I love Randy Pitchford!  

Anyways, I just can't wait to hear the PAX Bombcast when they talk about having played this game. That will be funny.

#29 Posted by adoggz (2065 posts) -

BAWWWWWWWAWAWWWAWAWAWAW

THE FUCK?

#30 Posted by SquirrelGOD (501 posts) -

Is the nutjob who doomed the project to begin with still involved?

#31 Edited by Overwatch (268 posts) -

Always bet on Duke! 

edit: I seen Brad in 2K's live stream. Looking forward for him talking about it.

#32 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" I'm buying this game day 1 even if it's terrible. This is a part of gaming history.  "
Pretty much my thoughts. I'm not expecting anything more than average, but I'm definitely buying it.
#33 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

If this comes out, I can't WAIT to hear Jeff's reaction!!
#34 Posted by Sarumarine (2224 posts) -

This is the weirdest joke in all of video game history. If it ever hits shelves, I want a documentary on the whole process.

#35 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

Im very excited about this. Dont get me wrong, this thing is probaly going to be terrible and not sell at all, but im buying it day 1 to own a piece of gaming history.
#36 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

I hope it comes out and gets like a 2 out of 5, I really can't wait for the giant bomb review of this game

#37 Edited by Pop (2626 posts) -

oh no don't bring 3d realms people to make this, it's gonna take forever, maybe that's why it's called forever cause it takes forever to make. 

edit: also the game should take like 200 hours to finish.

#38 Posted by BilboBagDames (15 posts) -

Is...Is this a dream I'm living in right now?  DNF is coming out in my lifetime?  Speechless... 

#39 Posted by FateOfNever (1831 posts) -

Fantastic!

#40 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Hail to the king baby!

#41 Posted by marbleCmoney (467 posts) -

Always bet on Duke, motherfuckers.

#42 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1463 posts) -

I am looking forward to hearing Jeff rant about this game on the podcast hopefully!

#43 Posted by Superfriend (1545 posts) -

Yes! Somebody´s playing "don´t stop believing" in my head right now.

#44 Posted by 71Ranchero (2742 posts) -

Gearbox will never release a game again. Calling it.

#45 Posted by Gabriel (4062 posts) -

I can't wait until they dely it...

I was 7 when the game was announced.

#46 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -

Glad to see it.  I mean, why not at least give it a shot??
#47 Posted by Stealthcake92 (20 posts) -

Never thought i'd see the day :'(

#48 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -

ALWAYS BET ON DUKE

#49 Edited by gbrading (2019 posts) -

Oh this is ridiculous. 

Edit: Nope, still don't believe it.
#50 Posted by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -

Damn. I always thought it was funny that DNF was both Duke Nukem Forever and Did Not Finish, but that doesn't apply anymore :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.