Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

Reused Animations, Are They a Problem?

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RedRoach

This year I've noticed a lot of games using animations that we have sen in previous instalments. Most notably Assassin's Creed Revelations (The sword kills were reused, but most of the hidden/hook blades were new), Uncharted 3 (Stealth kills and at the very end, when he stumbles away from the water, it's the same animation as when he stumbles away from the truck chase in UC2) and just about everything in MW3, the animation when in the boat and your partner switches s

while I absolutely love Uncharted and Assassin's Creed, these reused animations annoy me. Could these animations be placeholders fro the E3 demos? Does this bug you too, or am I just whining?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

Doesn't really bother me. New ones would be nice, but there is nothing really wrong with reusing where you can. I rather developers focus on designing better experiences overall than burning resources on animations that will get get old just as fast as the past ones.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

Well for Uncharted (sorry I don't really remember the demo it was late) but wasn't he just running away? So I feel like he would run the same right? It's the way Drake runs is all. For Assassin's Creed some seemed to be new and some where old. So if you saw those a lot i could see getting irritated same for Uncharted's stealth kills cause I didn't even see a new one of those. 

Overall I really wont be bothered by it cause for Uncharted I just know thats going to be a amazing game and its always interesting (based off the previous 2). For Assassins Creed I'm not sure cause I've been back and forth on the series (hated the first loved 2nd and haven't bought bro hood). 

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By FireBurger

I don't really mind it, but I did notice it as well. Just seeing the reload animation in MW3 brings back feelings of MW2 and BLOPS MP fatigue.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By canucks23

I don't really find it a problem in most games, but when it really stands out that they're reusing so much from the last game it bugs me. The MW3 demo especially was bad for that. The boat sequence used all the same animations from the end of MW2, the guns use the same sounds as the last game, they use a predator to take down people in one part again, and they use a big chaingun on a helicopter, that was the exact same gun from the top of a humvee in mw2. I think that was all made worse though by the fact that there was zero new features in the gameplay they showed so it all just looked like a mw2 mod.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By warxsnake

@Jason_Bourne said:

This year I've noticed a lot of games using animations that we have sen in previous instalments. Most notably Assassin's Creed Revelations (The sword kills were reused, but most of the hidden/hook blades were new) and Uncharted 3 (Stealth kills and at the very end, when he stumbles away from the water, it's the same animation as when he stumbles away from the truck chase in UC2) while I absolutely love Uncharted and Assassin's Creed, these reused animations annoy me. Could these animations be placeholders fro the E3 demos? Does this bug you too, or am I just whining?

You are right, most of the time, animations are obviously placeholder from the previous project since it shares the same engine, workflow pipeline, and asset production tools. They get new Mocap data and rework animations before alpha.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I love Call of Duty, but the animations are getting old.  They've been using the same death animations since Call of Duty 4.  People fall only a few different ways, then go rag doll once they've hit the ground.
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RedRoach
    @canucks23: the boat one really bugged me, even as tired as CoD is nowadays, I can understand this. Infinity Ward is something like half gone now, I don't think they have the resources to do much better (Which is why AC and UC bugged me, they have tons of resources for that stuff) which is way Activision for once, give one fucking year off.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jimbo

Not if they were good in the first place and it makes sense to use them. Why wouldn't Ezio use the same technique with his sword, ya know? That's probably something he trains pretty rigorously. Not putting any new animations in would be pretty lazy, but I don't really see a reason to ditch the old ones just for the sake of it.

What does annoy me is when games blatantly misuse animations, like pretty much all of Dragon Age 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.