Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2014

Concept »

The twentieth Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 10-12, 2014 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

Anyone else tired of the constant snarkiness from the staff?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Meh, I don't care. They had me laughing quite a bit throughout these conferences so GB is still cool.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#202  Edited By kagato

No, but to be fair i have pretty much polar opposite views on all game to Jeff so if he dislikes something i will probably like it, armed with that knowledge his input can be valuable in helping me chose the games i want to play next. I think having them talk over the conferences helped me enjoy them more, does Jeff's dislike for Yoshi make me want to play that new game any less? No, but hearing them react to that "oh the feels" comment last night cracked me up so its all good. E3 is about having a good time and although i watched it with friends, it was fun to have the GB crew there commenting too.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@wewantsthering said:

@itwongo: It has been GameSpot lately honestly. They have good news and other shows that are polished without the weird IGN fakeness. GB has become videos of Jeff playing really old games and him complaining about most games. Waiting to hear from support on deleting my account here.

...Why? Just stop coming.

Where's the fun in stomping off if you can't slam the door?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@shagge said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@wewantsthering said:

@itwongo: It has been GameSpot lately honestly. They have good news and other shows that are polished without the weird IGN fakeness. GB has become videos of Jeff playing really old games and him complaining about most games. Waiting to hear from support on deleting my account here.

I don't want to be associated with this community anymore. It's not about stomping off. It has become toxic here overall and I'm just sick of it. Now I need to disable notifications so I don't see these responses anymore. :-)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wewantsthering: Hey, I'm not judging. I just can't imagine what you're looking for in a forum if this one is too toxic for you. Yeah, we have our assholes (I can be one myself at times, I admit), but disassociating yourself from this community to attach yourself to one of the most notoriously unfriendly game forums on the internet seems a wee bit odd.

Don't get me wrong, Gamespot's pretty alright these days, and more power to ya if you can stomach the community there. I just don't see the point in wiping your account because Jeff has a cynical sense of humor and the forum here is like a forum.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#206  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@shagge said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@wewantsthering said:

I don't want to be associated with this community anymore. It's not about stomping off. It has become toxic here overall and I'm just sick of it. Now I need to disable notifications so I don't see these responses anymore. :-)

Oh, I dunno, asking to delete your account and calling the community "toxic" is pretty much stomping off and saying "Screw you guys, I'm going home" Not that you aren't allowed to do that, though if I were you I'd commit account suicide in a far more spectacular fashion.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Jeff almost never rubs me the wrong way, because it comes from a very real place I feel. Patrick though is a bit hit or miss, sometimes it feels like he's just searching for something snarky or negative to say (it might not be the case, it's just how it comes across to me. also, I like Patrick so I'm not hatin'")

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: It's people like you that make me want to leave.

@shagge: Oh I am not joining the GameSpot community. Haha. I just meant watching their videos. I guess I'm just over internet communities in general now. There are people like you that are nice, but when there are like thirty other people shitting in the pool, I want out.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By TruthTellah

@wewantsthering: We definitely all go through periods where we get too frustrated with the difficulties of being a part of communities.

I don't think asking to be deleted is the wisest answer though. Our feelings do change, and it's best to just leave it and not come back for a while.

Maybe then you'll already have a little foundation if you feel like coming back, perhaps when things are better by your estimation. There are plenty of folks here trying to make it better. So, see you later, duder. <>

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#212  Edited By TheHT

It's a commentary over a presser. I think it's reasonable to expect them to inject some jokeyness to it all to try and make it more entertaining.

I find it annoying hearing someone trying to be funny over every moment, at least when it's the first time I'm seeing things. So I just watched the conferences without commentary and then loaded up the GB stream after to get their post-presser thoughts, which was the closest to past E3s where I'd watch the presser and then GB would put out a video of them leaving the event and talking about what they saw.

But for the moments I thought were dumb or good I'd scrub through their commentary in the downtime between conferences to see their reactions, which was cool to see. Not entirely sure I like this new E3 format, though I understand how much easier it is for them.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Turambar

@milkman said:

I like when they react to things like humans. If they're excited for something, they'll act excited. If they're not, they won't. If you're looking for someone to scream "YEAH FUCK YEAH BRO VIDEO GAMES" about every single game revealed then there's plenty of places you can go for that. The constant whining is way more annoying than any "cynicism."

Also, some people's evoking of Ryan to try to reason why they're bored of a video game website is fucking gross and needs to stop.

See, this is the thing that I can't quite come to terms with. When did we come to a place in video games where disinterest in something has to be done in a snarky fashion, and why does snark equate proper human emotion and response? Is there no way to voice disinterest in a game other than being halfheartedly douchey?

Characterizing people who tire of this attitude as simply wanting "YEAH FUCK YEAH BRO VIDEO GAMES" is also one hell of a twisting of words.

(Your comment is only one of many in this thread all echoing this sentiment, so don't take the bulk of this personally.)

SinKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"God, are we going to E3 again. Do we have to ?"

Giant Bomb is the aristocracy of game journalism. They don't know how good they have it, so they can't help the snarkiness.

They are spoiled by years of being around and never being in question. They get to do all the questioning, so that's a comfortable situation and a distant one at the same time. In the end it comes down to what Mozart said: "Critics are like Eunuchs, in theory they know how to do it." They don't produce themselves, they don't invent, they just criticise. In the end they are hardly more than shopping advisors and they do it their way. Like it or not - it doesn't matter.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

What I am super tired of is complaint threads about the site and staff that are just clones of previous threads.

Not saying people don't have legitimate issues from time to time with either (lord knows I miss a lot of the pre-seaserpent functionality the site had) but

Can't we just have one master thread for these kinds of things instead of a new one everytime someone gets upset?

It's draining to rehash this same thing over and over and watch it drown out every other video game discussion going on.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinking said:

They are spoiled by years of being around and never being in question. They get to do all the questioning, so that's a comfortable situation and a distant one at the same time.

They openly take and answer questions in Jar videos, twitter, and tumblr.

In the end it comes down to what Mozart said: "Critics are like Eunuchs, in theory they know how to do it."

They openly admit this.

In the end they are hardly more than shopping advisors and they do it their way.

They openly admit this.

They don't know how good they have it

I can't attest to the contrary other than the points I've listed, but I'm sure they could.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Snarky-ness is just opinion so that hasn't bothered me, but it's Jeff feeling the need to be louder than anyone with an opposing opinion on podcasts. Even if he can justify his opinion, he doesn't have to belittle someone for having one of their own; IT'S ALMOST AS IF HE'S VIEWING OPINIONS OBJECTIVELY (debate and discussions are great but not when they're a shouting match).

This is why I enjoy "Bombin the AM," they respect each other's opinions like grown men do (and they still manage to get their own points across.. imagine that).

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@wewantsthering: Well you gotta do what's right for you.

And I will say I do feel this community has gotten chippier and less friendly over the last couple years as it's grown. I've seen a more than a few people I really liked leave because it's not as welcoming as it once was.

But I'll ask you this, how can you expect a place to be better if you don't try to make it better? If everybody just leaves when they encounter something they don't like aren't they also making the problem worse?

whatever you decide I hope you find happiness duder.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dexterkid said:

usually it's that very familiar effect of one person (usually Jeff) starting to grumble about something and everyone else following suit and agreeing with him or immediately redacting their initial enthusiasm in order to match the dominant tone. It's like they are afraid to just be unashamedly excited about anything and not give a fuck what the popular opinion around the table is.

I don't know about that, perhaps you are just focusing on the negatives too much, I remember both Patrick and Alex being shamelessly excited for what Nintendo was talking about, and everyone seemed interested enough in Splatoons.

It is the human condition that stuff we find to be negative or unappealing to us dominates more of our thought than feelings of happiness or positivity. However, and I am trying to be honest and helpful here, if you find that that is such a bother for you, I would recommend just leaving this GB scene altogether for a while, get a new perspective on it, and come back refreshed, or not come back at all. The actions of GB staff, whose actions don't practically affect you in any way at all, should not be bothering you like this.

Sorry if I came off condescending at the end there.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@turambar: I'm not sure what was so "snarky" about Giant Bomb's coverage of E3. Yes, they make jokes during the press conferences. They're putting on a live show. They're there to be entertaining. EA aside, they seemed generally excited about a whole lot of stuff. Snark seems to be shorthand for "they made fun of a thing I like." I keep hearing about this supposed overwhelming cynicism that ruining the games industry and to me, it just seems like a whole lot of people seeing what they want to see.

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

No, not tired of it. In fact, it is the reason I chose to watch them talk over all the press conferences. If I wanted super serious game discussion, I'd go to one of the 15 other sites that do that.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Turambar
    @milkman said:

@turambar: I'm not sure what was so "snarky" about Giant Bomb's coverage of E3. Yes, they make jokes during the press conferences. They're putting on a live show. They're there to be entertaining. EA aside, they seemed generally excited about a whole lot of stuff. Snark seems to be shorthand for "they made fun of a thing I like." I keep hearing about this supposed overwhelming cynicism that ruining the games industry and to me, it just seems like a whole lot of people seeing what they want to see.

Snark is simply using snide remarks and sarcasm to represent one's reaction to something. When that all there is, it grows stale for many. This whole 'Snark seems to be shorthand for "they made fun of a thing I like."' feels unnecessarily defensive, dismissive, and is you seeing what you want to see, I'd say.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.gamesradar.com/goriest-nastiest-moments-e3-2014/

Yeah, E3 totally doesn't deserve to made fun of.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean the giant bomb crew is just being realistic about their expectations and refusing to get excited over a bunch of BS cg traliers and idealized in engine footage, They acknowledge how superficial e3 actually is, which is something almost no other games outlet does.

Most of the snark for comedic affect anyway, most the time they all went back and said stuff like "oh, but battlefield hardline actually looks fun" jeff even said that despite his misgivings he still had fun with the game.

ultrapeanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#226  Edited By ultrapeanut

The press conferences are by and large ridiculous, cynical spectacles used to pitch products for enormous corporations. That this opens them up to frequent riffing doesn't mean people who engage in said riffing hate everything about them, it just means shit's funny and absurd. I look forward to them every year because they're such great fodder for jokes and awkward moments, and there's nothing I love more about video games coverage than seeing the duders soaking in the madness in realtime.

Video games are silly and weird. Embrace it! ONE OF US ONE OF US

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah, Giant Bomb have become a bit too cynical for my tastes lately, and so I mostly enjoy when they're not talking about videogames (or those times when they're talking about something that does actually excite them) that's not to demand that they change their ways or anything, just yeah...I didn't really pay much attention to their commentary of the press conferences (and completely skipped their commentary of the Nintendo event). Here's hoping the stuff coming out the rest of the year leaves them a little more positive, and failing that 2015 is shaping up pretty awesome.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I THINK WE'RE ABOUT TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS~!

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Vuud

Wow what is even going on in this thread? Anime girls? Okay I'm back in.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By abendlaender

No. I like it when people can make fun of something even if they enjoy it. Video games are dumb, embrace it. I feel like GB and Jeff in particular is pretty good at making fun of marketing stuff while remaining excited for the games itself. He's just not a "HOT DAMN EVERY GAME IS AWESOME" kinda guy and I appreciate that. Even though he hates Yoshi and can't pronounce my username :D

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I mostly find it funny that they keep getting accusation of always being completely jaded and asked why they even go to E3, that it's obvious they hate it and all that and that they keep defending themselves to the contrary and then proceed to shit on half the stuff they've seen so far... i mean they aren't helping curb the perception that they're jaded. I mean for every time they said something positive there was another where it was negative.

Anyway E3 always shows the worst of people covering this industry. They feel forced to say something about everything even if they have nothing to say at all and 99% of the time if they don't have anything to say what will come out will be negative. It makes twitter by and large unusable during the press conference. At the very least Jeff wasn't spamming twitter every other minute with bile like so many do so there's that.

So to the answer the question, no not really because by and large i really don't find the staff that negative in general but during E3 and specifically during the press conference they are totally the worst, just like the rest of this fucking gaming journalism bullshit industry.

I disagree. I thought the GB staff (yes even the great cynical Navarro) were pretty positive on this E3. The only parts they were really skeptical were Mario Maker (because of how Nintendo butchered Remix) and the EA stuff that was just concept art. All of that deserves some skepticism. In general though they were hyped for stuff. Even that shitty Nintendo Paint. Sorry Nintendo, but MS paint's been out for years, you're not innovating.

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's part of getting old, and I tend to feel the same way. The Nintendo Digital conference... video... thing just shows how out of touch Nintendo is with the current market. This is fine when they are doing things that set them apart (like leading the way with motion controls), but when you aren't doing anything special to speak of the things they do just come off as something really neat... if it was 5 years ago.

Ya, I mean I guess it's cool to say "hey you can now go to that mountain in the distance" in Zelda, but this isn't novel in the spectrum of video games or design innovation in 2014. This is something they should've done a long time ago.

Pretty Sure all the GB staff freaked out when the guy from the Witcher III demo said just that. Just sayin'

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@wewantsthering said:

Normally I would agree, but he's just been an ass lately, in a not funny way. Ryan isn't there to bring the balance to Jeff anymore. :-(

You're pulling the Ryan card to say that Jeff sucks? That's cold blooded. And not in a way that I can respect.

Two thumbs down to you.

Yeah I'm not sure I get this @spraynardtatum I don't think this is cold-blooded comment, and I think there might be some truth in it. I think when Ryan was here, he and Jeff were the de facto leaders of the group and Ryans more positive and less discriminating voice balanced Jeff out to an extent. I think they were a team on their own, and now, sadly, it is just Jeff on his own which makes his more critical voice stand out more. I don't think this is cruel thing to point out. Ryan was good at making Jeff look on the stupid side rather than the critical side.

I am not sure what you think 'pulling the Ryan card' is. We are allowed to talk about the guy, and I don't think @wewantsthering was being disrespectful in anyway.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with Jeff's attitude or viewpoint, it reflects mine in his overall attitude to the industry, and although we have different taste in games (and to be honest I think Jeff's is a bit limited) I can respect his point of view and want him to call it as he sees it.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#234 sweep  Moderator

That's who they are. Isn't that why you're here?

ramprat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't we get these sort of questions every E3?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@sweep: Oi. Take your logic out of here!

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comments directed and wooly yoshi were the highlight!

The highlight!

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You dont want to be associate with this community anymore so.......you go on the forum and make a thread about leaving said community? I am sorry, maybe it was not your intention but this has drama queen written all over it and you know if you can't stand certain communities you might want to NOT engage them. Go spend your time on something you enjoy more than bitching about things you no longer likes on the forum you apparently hates. I mean what? or you just loves forum drama, in which case more power to you.

SinKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo said:

In the end it comes down to what Mozart said: "Critics are like Eunuchs, in theory they know how to do it."

They openly admit this.

It's not only about admitting something, you have to mean it, too. I do like Jeff and think he is knowledgable. And Drew for being generally a nice guy and pointing out the right things. The rest of them likes listening to their own voice (Patrick) complaining about everything and sucking at playing games (Brad), or being absent minded and busy with family affairs (Vinnie). The other guys, Alex and that Puppy honcho don't really interest me at all, but that is due to their topics.

I just think a little modesty would do them good once in a while. The people making these games work very hard to accomplish them, no matter under what corporate conditions they have to create the games and what quality they achieve. Working in game development myself, I can tell you that nobody has an 8 hour work day or goes home before the work is done. And especially for indie developers the money isn't great and everybody tries to get at you one way or the other. Cynicism isn't the right approach to anything in life, especially not to game criticism.

Prestige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I enjoyed that the guys did full commentary over the press conferences this year. There's no way in hell I'd sit through all those boring marketing presentations without commentary, just to see the 10% of game trailers that were actually cool.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#241  Edited By wchigo

@sinking said:

@itwongo said:

They openly admit this.

It's not only about admitting something, you have to mean it, too. I do like Jeff and think he is knowledgable. And Drew for being generally a nice guy and pointing out the right things. The rest of them likes listening to their own voice (Patrick) complaining about everything and sucking at playing games (Brad), or being absent minded and busy with family affairs (Vinnie). The other guys, Alex and that Puppy honcho don't really interest me at all, but that is due to their topics.

I just think a little modesty would do them good once in a while. The people making these games work very hard to accomplish them, no matter under what corporate conditions they have to create the games and what quality they achieve. Working in game development myself, I can tell you that nobody has an 8 hour work day or goes home before the work is done. And especially for indie developers the money isn't great and everybody tries to get at you one way or the other. Cynicism isn't the right approach to anything in life, especially not to game criticism.

I feel your thoughts on Scoops is a little harsh, but then again you are entitled to them.

Furthermore, they've already explained before many times that they realize that making games is difficult and that no one WANTS to make a bad game. However, in the end, they have to have the best interests of their clients in mind when doing what they do, and ultimately that's the consumer. If the game is bad or falling into age-old tropes or cliches, they're obliged to point it out. They're good friends with many developers but are still willing to point out flaws in the games of those people despite their relation because they're professional.

They're entitled to their own opinion and again, it's their opinion. Just because they have an open venue to state said opinion doesn't mean they can't have it; if anything, it should fall to the people listening to use that to inform their own opinions, after doing research and such on their own, instead of mimicking the GB staff. Yes, they can be overly cynical about things at times, but who isn't?! They can still get super into games as well, just look at the love of games like Saints Row The Third, Dark Souls, Windjammers, et al. They're not super jaded all the time, they just might be jaded about things that you (in a general sense) like and that should be fine. Why people get upset about this is beyond me..

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit, this thread escalated. I wasn't sure it was worth the deep dive but I guess I was wrong!

WesleyWyndam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still love Giant Bomb and all of the crew and I don't care who knows it!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By spraynardtatum

@leebmx: I think it is disrespectful to tell someone, or point out publicly on their website, that they're now an unfunny ass because their best friend isn't around to keep them in line. That's not something you're supposed to say. I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that in real life. Regardless of how it was intended.

Think about if your best friend died and then people on the internet started pointing out that you're starting to suck because they aren't there to balance you out. I imagine that would crush anyone. No one needs or deserves to read stuff like that.

I get what you mean, Ryan was a funny funny guy and he had an incredible ability to keep things light but so does Jeff! Of course we're allowed to talk about Ryan, I just think using him to say that Jeff has been shitty lately is super insensitive and so I called it how I saw it.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By elyhaym

My opinion really comes down to two things.

A) they honestly don't seem that negative

B) when they are negative, it is usually fair, honest, and/or funny

Plus I really don't see where you're getting the whole peer pressure thing from, the guys disagree with each other constantly.

This.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Jeff was on top form with snarky-ness during these conferences, everything he said was hilarious and I like when the crew laugh at how dumb these type of conferences can be, but I also got a little tired of Jeff being too quick to diss certain things the second they were revealed. Overall though I prefer him to be grumpy and disillusioned than pretend to be excited about stuff, like that idiot Tim Gettys from IGN

I almost feel like starting a thread about TIm Gettys but I don't want to be a bully, plus there's obviously someone behind the scenes telling him to act the way he does...

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By rcath

I am fine with it.

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guys had the right balance of funny and enthusiastic these conferences. I was genuinely thrilled to see how overjoyed Patrick and Alex got just seeing the new Yoshi and Kirby games.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By SharkEthic

I've definitely noticed that Jeff seems to hate everything lately (how can one not notice that?), but it doesn't get to me in any shape or form. Honestly, his and my tastes are completely different, so I don't give a fat shit if he doesn't like a game I find interesting. He seems like a cool dude regardless.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt it before when I heard them talk about games on their podcasts, but no, not really. I kind of agreed and laughed at it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.