Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2014

Concept »

The twentieth Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 10-12, 2014 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

E3 2014: Who had the best conference?

• 93 results
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By IBurningStar

Poll E3 2014: Who had the best conference? (509 votes)

Microsoft 24%
    EA 1%
    Ubisoft 6%
    Sony 31%
    Nintendo 38%

Now that we have seen them all, who do you think brought the most to the show? Personally, I thought this year was underwhelming across the board. The only reason I'm voting in Sony's favor is because of Bloodborne. If that hadn't been there then I would have said they were all equally unimpressive. I'm not saying that there was nothing there, but I didn't anything that blew my mind or even excited me. Besides Bloodborne. Holy hell am I wanting to see more of that.

• 
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Nintendo had multiple video games I was interested in playing, which is more than I can say about any other conference.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony but I am totally biased.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Definitely Nintendo.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When hasn't Sony had the best conference?

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By IIGrayFoxII

To be honest, I would select all, because I think overall each conference hit their intention, to get me interested in their platforms/games.

I was actually asked before the conferences, what do I want to be announced? My response was that every franchise I care about is in production or announced, but if Rockstar would announce something, it would definitely be that. Sure enough Sony announced that beautiful amazing trailer for the current gen/PC version of GTA V and that got me. Also Sony had that amazing Batman: Arkham Knight demo. So I just selected Sony.

The big three definitely exchanged an equal amount of game announcements, big demo's, and good lineups. Just depends on personal opinion of those games.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Everyone but Ea had an all right conference. That's my vote.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not EA.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

This year I would say almost all of the conferences were actually pretty great with the exception of EA that was just good. But if I had to rank it I would go Microsoft Sony Nintendo and Ubi. Seriously thoguh, well done by all. I don't even own a Wii U but that digital conference was enjoyable to watch

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's between Nintendo and Sony for me. Probably Sony, just because the games being showcased there were more inline with what I'm interested in.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo, but i liked ms conference.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It's tough to answer. I'm super glad to know the GTA and Last of Us remasters are substantial, and want to have those running on my TV more than anything else. But in terms of salesmanship, Nintendo actually kind of got me the most excited with that Zelda preview. As someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo console since Resident Evil 4 was announced for PS2, between Mario 3D World/Captain Toad and the potential of that Zelda game and Mario Maker I sort of feel like I need a WiiU in the next year. If for nothing else most of the people I know that play games these days would much rather play something cute like that than, say, GTA or Watch Dogs.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Microsoft wins pretty convincingly in my opinion.

EA was shit. Ubisoft was okay. Sony started strong, but had a weak second half. Nintendo had a good showing, but they also played it extremely safe. So, while I am excited about their future offerings, I am also quite disappointed that their press conference can almost be summed up as "we have more Mario and Zelda coming."

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

Microsoft came out Swinging, as did Sony. However, Microsoft maintained momentum and Sony lost it with business synergy about half way or so.

No bias here, but Microsoft had the better conference this year. Ubisoft is a close third- but I usually enjoy the insanity of Ubisoft conferences. Everyone else was pointless- they had nothing interesting to say.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Sony. More games there that I'd actually want.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I can't really pick one because Microsoft , Sony, and Nintendo had pretty good shows .If I had to choose one it had to be Sony and EA was not that good.

Mr_Darcy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mr_Darcy

Nintendo for me, with Sony coming in second. Microsoft was solid but nothing I'd buy their console for. Sony is getting there. Nintendo's immediately made me want to buy a Wii U.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say as far as presentation it would be a tie with Nintendo and Microsoft, it was just games,games,games, etc. Still evaluating the games themselves I found that all 3 major conferences were pretty much even, maybe Nintendo simply because they showed pure exclusives.

My personal top 3 games were Zelda, No Mans Sky and MKX.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By BigBoss1911

Missed the Nintendo conference, can someone give me a low down on the exclusives.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shaka999

I can't stand Microsoft's heavy PR & buzzword-heavy speak at all. In addition, I don't give two shits about all of their shooters and sequels. Mix the two together, and I doubly don't give a shit.

Sony has their own PR speak, but it doesn't aggravate me nearly as much as Microsoft's does. (Side note: I really hate the word 'epic') Problem is, either the games were shooters, or they were sequels. All of the indie stuff is going to be on PC anyway. That said, No Man's Sky, Far Cry 4, Arkham Knight, and MGS:PP have my attention. Better than Microsoft.

EA was sad. I'm curious about the next ME, but I don't have high hopes for it.

Didn't (really) watch Ubisoft. Seemed okay from what I saw.

Nintendo wasn't perfect, but Splatoon looks kinda neat and I was already excited for Smash bros before E3. Very curious about Zelda; I really hope they shook things up more than they probably will wind up doing.

Nintendo>Sony>Microsoft>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>EA

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Microsoft, Ubisoft, and Sony the most (in that order). Microsoft had a no buzzword, no bullshit approach and showed off a lot of interesting games. As much as I am bored of Aisha Tyler, the games Ubi demoed all looked cool. Sony was the best for the first 45 minutes, then they crashed really hard. The amount of bullshit they talked and trying to throw shade at Microsoft (after Microsoft was fairly cordial), was dumb, and that 40 minute interlude in the middle was god awful. It reminded me of how shitty that Xbone reveal was last year.

EA's just sucked, and the only thing I care about from Nintendo is the new Zelda, but that is 2+ years off and has to win me over after Skyward Sword.

No Man's Sky was the most impressive thing to me out of all the briefings.

perethorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By perethorn

Nintendo

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sony showed games I'm looking forward to playing.
    Ubisoft showed games that I know that I will buy.
    Microsoft has made me consider an Xbox One at some point in the next 12 months. It also made me pleased that I have a PS4 given that the multi-platform games look great, and that the PS4 has generally had the higher quality versions so far.
    EA blew its load in the first 15 minutes and spent the rest of the time snoozing.
    Nintendo actually made me feel like that day one Wii U purchase may finally be justified.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would "Giant Bomb" be a valid option?

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Grim Fandango. Fuck everything else.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the crew was spot on in diagnosing why EAs show was a pile of garbage. They didn't want to lose their press conference spot but they had nothing to show so instead they went business conceptual and talked about how making games is fun for an hour.

It was cool that they released the beta for Hardline right there at the show (lord knows they need as much testing as they can get with that game) but to be honest, I think a cops and robbers themed Battlefield is incredibly weak.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By hollitz

Sony had more stuff that I wanted, but the Microsoft conference was on fucking point this year. Sony's conference started strong but then went to shit. Nintendo's would have been great if they hadn't included that Robot Chicken fucking garbage.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this E3 all the companies had great showings, there's no particular moment you can say "that really sucked", all of them where about games some of them in very early state sure but they all showed a lot of games and several exclusives, I think is a matter of wich ones you like the most... few awkward moments in the conferences definetively helped as well as not going into peripherals, services and motion controls.

I don't know if that means that we won't get a "best of E3 2014" video from @turboman

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Grim Fandango. Fuck everything else.

Coming to "other platforms"

I feel like I watch E3 in a different way than most people. The only thing I care about is exclusives, devoting time to third party stuff doesn't matter to me because I can get that elsewhere. I'm stoked for a new trailer for Metal Gear or indie games getting onto consoles, but 90% of the Microsoft and Sony conferences were games I could get on PC, whereas Nintendo was entirely stuff you can only get on Wii U.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its a tie between sony and nintendo, yea sony dedicated too much time to that comic book show thing, but they had a good show.

and i just loved the reggie iwata fight on nintendo

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think it was an all around good year for all companies

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128: I know it is but it's the best game ever so it wins everything.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

@angeln7 said:

I don't know if that means that we won't get a "best of E3 2014" video from @turboman

I had a feeling that everyone was going to try their best this year. I'm planning on doing a Best of GB with the E3 streams once they're available to download.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Sony had a sustained weak portion, and Microsoft didn't...they just showed awesome games, so I think Microsoft gets the nod this year.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony was pretty good until the boring suit came out and the middle and lost me. Plus, I don't care about the big games they featured in the final half (Uncharted, Metal Gear) so I was underwhelmed. I would have been more happy if they had just games and more games I wanted to see, like Kingdom Hearts 3. EA was just painful, I didn't finish watching it. Microsoft was great in that it was all games, no forced skits and kinect bs. Also, new Crackdown was my guiltiest, happiest reaction on day zero. Nintendo was a treat. I found myself smiling at so many of their announcements. I liked ubisoft because they seemed like they were actually having fun with their games.

If I had to pick an overall winner, I'd go Nintendo or ubisoft. Most improved was Microsoft. Most disappointing, and this is from a person who owns a ps4, was Playstation. They devoted too much time to crap that I didn't care about (TV, etc) and it seems like they were losing focus on what matters for a system. Plus, I want different games on my ps4, and more uncharted and metal gear isn't it unfortunately.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

E3 didn't really blew me away to be honest. If I had to choose it would be Microsoft. I found their conference to be abit more interesting. Sony lost me when they was showing bullshit indie games , and Nintendo was just...

Loading Video...

Not my cup of protein. None of the games (Except for bayonette 2) didn't interest me at all. To be honest this was to be expected from Nintendo so I'm not surprised.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Seppli
    1. Sony had the most stuff I care about, albeit its uneven pacing was a bit of a bummer. So Sony's the *Winner* in my book.
    2. Microsoft is a close second, with lots of great games and impeccable pacing and games-focus.
    3. Nintendo's one was pretty neat as well, even if I personally only cared about the Zelda tease. Enough to reward it with the third place.
    4. Coming in forth - Ubisoft had the best destructible environments of the show thus far with Rainbow Six:Siege (and the Division's looked pretty good too for a massively multiplayer online title), and being a great afficionado of all things destructible, that resonated positively with me. Ubi might have snatched 3rd place, if the Farcry 4 gameplay demo wouldn't have been at Sony's event - it was by far the most attractive Ubisoft showing to me.
    5. EA's show was predictable and boring, albeit I know I'll play hundreds, if not over a thousand of hours of Hardline, and Dragon Age: Inquisition will quite likely be my singleplayer game of 2014. I'm pretty pissed at how little time EA gave to Inquisition in the conference - it should have been a 10 minute demo really showing how freaking much they've improved the whole thing. From what I've seen from subsequent stage demos on IGN's livestream, it might very well turn out to be a rebirth for Bioware, and it their best game to date. All the exciting stuff like Star Wars and Criterion's new jam and Mirror's Edge 2 were just too early builds to really excite. I mean these games are at least one E3 off, I'll be excited for them at E3 2015.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm going with Sony because of Bloodborne, but Nintendo was a close second. Microsoft had a solid showing too, though!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41  Edited By recroulette

Sony won E3 by killing the dead weight and burying the Vita for good.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Microsoft did exactly what they needed to do. They won easily.

dorkymohr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By dorkymohr

Surprised to see Sony eking it out. A lot of Sony's conference was just confirmation for me that I was going to get some use out of my PS4 but Nintendo I think might have sold me on picking up a Wii U, they had a pretty strong showing. Microsoft I think convinced me that I'd be getting a new PC this year.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo because they showed the most actual gameplay and spent time showing them instead of spewing trailers non stop. They seemed to be the only one reaching out to the gamers and only them.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

When it comes down to it E3 is about only one thing, marketing. The press conferences are a marketing showcase of hopeful outcomes of amazing looking games. A vision of what could be and not the actual reality that may come to pass. So when it comes down to "who won", for it that means who had the clearest and most exciting message.

1. Microsoft did well, shifting from the shambles of their 2013 marketing disaster to focusing on games and nothing but games.

2. EA felt like a sad, lonely man trying to be cheerful and full of life.

3. Ubisoft did well giving us that usual E3 awkwardness but never too much. They just didn't pack the punch needed to compete with the likes of the console manufacturers.

4. Sony could have benefited with the same restrictions EA and Microsoft work under since they're on live TV. Cut it down to an hour, shorten your segments, and get rid of the riff raff. Plenty of promising games but not enough focus.

5. With no press conference, no live demos, and plenty of editing time Nintendo gave the clearest and cleanest showing of the show. Here are our games, they look awesome, watch this Smash Bros. stream. They left me asking questions but still wanting to play those games regardless.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony winning this is fucking baffling to me. They had the worst easily (well not counting EA). They went from "gaaaaaames" last year to the MS route (which MS gets shit for). That middle part of the conference was unbearable.

MS and Nintendo did a really solid job. Between those two for sure.

Jimages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got to go with Nintendo this year

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Seppli

@recspec said:

Sony won E3 by killing the dead weight and burying the Vita for good.

You take that back! Right now! Heathen! Brute! Leave my Vita alone!

I know a videogame system cannot prosper on love alone - but if it could, the Vita would be one of the most successful systems ever. I sure love my Vita dearly.

Oh darling Vita. Don't despair! You are perfect and pretty and have a great personality. Don't you listen to them!

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Microsoft and Nintendo knocked it out of the park this year. Although I think the conferences have been consistently great this year. Even EA's that was the worst was still pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.