Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2014

Concept »

The twentieth Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 10-12, 2014 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

E3 2014: Who had the best conference?

• 93 results
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By IBurningStar

Poll E3 2014: Who had the best conference? (509 votes)

Microsoft 24%
    EA 1%
    Ubisoft 6%
    Sony 31%
    Nintendo 38%

Now that we have seen them all, who do you think brought the most to the show? Personally, I thought this year was underwhelming across the board. The only reason I'm voting in Sony's favor is because of Bloodborne. If that hadn't been there then I would have said they were all equally unimpressive. I'm not saying that there was nothing there, but I didn't anything that blew my mind or even excited me. Besides Bloodborne. Holy hell am I wanting to see more of that.

• 
    Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

This may sound crazy, but basing it solely on the number of games presented that I actually want to play, I'd say Nintendo "won." Sony in second, with Microsoft in third.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Doing it the Nintendo Direct style is looking better and better. No awkward waiting for applause, the transitions were pretty tight and hearing from developers in a non-stage setting was more interesting to me. And Zelda!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Microsoft had the most structurally sound conference out of the 5. Sadly, their games were wholly uninteresting compared to Sony's offerings. Sony's games on the other hand, pales in its *wow* factor (aside from No Man's Sky) compared to Nintendo.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodapop7 said:

Doing it the Nintendo Direct style is looking better and better. No awkward waiting for applause, the transitions were pretty tight and hearing from developers in a non-stage setting was more interesting to me. And Zelda!

Not to mention no A/V equipment issues that would be seen by viewers if this was pre-recorded (I have not watched it yet).

jotap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm sorry to all fanboys who love to argue about the futility of best generation consoles but this year the games won. Screw the console manufacturer's. Sad that many of the best games are 2015. Should't they call this E3 (2015) and give next year a rest?

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By KaneRobot

@babychoochoo said:

Microsoft wins pretty convincingly in my opinion.

EA was shit. Ubisoft was okay. Sony started strong, but had a weak second half. Nintendo had a good showing, but they also played it extremely safe.

Pretty much exactly this.

MS did it about as well as it can be done, in the age of pre-announcement leaks and cynicism. No real filler at all (Fable didn't thrill me but it was not a throwaway title by any means) and a focus on what needed to be focused on.

Was not the most incredible presentation of all time, but it was pretty much rock solid, which is really what the XBone needed at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm actually going to rate the CONFERENCES as opposed to measure my fanboy wanger

Overall I thought Ubisofts was paced well, showed good games and was presented well. A bit too much swearing but whatever.

Microsofts was also paced really, the line up was okay and they focused solely on the games and avoided waffling on and on and on

Sony showed a lot of great games in the first hour and it was great for that first hour. The 2nd hour was terrible and Sony begun plugging all sorts of shit that didn't feel like it belonged, in fact Sony did a lot of what Microsoft did last year except arguably worse because they couldn't get to the fucking point on most things.

Speaking on not being able to get to the fucking point Nintendo. Nintendo probably overall had the most consistent line up of the bunch without any game being what I'd consider a 'bad looking game' with Zelda being the true stand out with an incredible new asphetic and design ethos that makes it look like the first Zelda game in decades to truly feel like a new title and despite not caring for the franchise since the N64 days it's arguably the game I'm most interested in aside from 'No Man's Sky' and 'The Witcher 3'. But then you had the rest of it which, whilst looked nice, looked remarkably unspectacular relying on peoples nostalgia for Nintendo. I don't have much nostalgia for Nintendo despite being born in the 80s so all I saw was 'same old same old same old, oh look Yoshi and Toad two the worst central characters Nintendo have created get staring roles in games' The new IP looked good with a lot of interesting mechanics but one thing all the games had in common? The presentation did a terrible job of getting to the point, whether it being too amigious or explained in far more detail then what was needed Nintendo wouldn't know the meaning of the word 'pacing' even if it was printed on every Mario related release. It's like they forgot they were showing a presentation to a bunch of GAMERS and people in the GAMING press as they went into painful depth in how every single damn game works, apart from Mario Maker of course, the one that actually needed explaining.

And then you had EA, well you didn't have EA.... you had EA Sports and that was it. EA are apparently taking the year off and their production values were awful. To top it off the beta for that Battlefield cops and robbers game made my computers fan sound like a washing machined and almost killed my computer despite recently being cleaned & being way above the required specs... so FUCK you EA.

So in order 1) Ubisoft 2) Sony 3) Microsoft 4) Nintendo and EA don't even factor into it.

I'm not saying Nintendos line up is bad, just that the 'Nintendo Direct' was poorly paced through out, no one needed 15mins worth of smash brothers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When hasn't Sony had the best conference?

When they decided to drop that 45 minute block of bullshit in the middle of it.

I voted for Nintendo, but Microsoft had a pretty good one, too.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually came away from Nintendo most excited, and it was also pretty entertaining! After that, Sony had a bunch of stuff I was interested in, but Ubisoft's was surprisingly fun to watch (and not in the usual way). Microsoft also had a great showing this year.

It's really just EA that completely underdelivered. It was kinda sad the way that whole thing played out.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo. Short, sweet, to the point-- all games, all of them exclusives, all with gameplay footage (except Zelda), and none of them even involved shooting people with guns! OK, one of them did, but they were paint guns! DOESN'T. COUNT.

You know what? Nevermind, have fun with your CG trailers and "Pre-alpha" footage, "mature" gamers.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#61  Edited By Slag

Nintendo announced a Toad IP, which is insane, so Nintendo .

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

EA was by far the worst. They just didn't have anything to show. I guess I would place Ubisoft next. I liked most of the games they showed but I just don't think their jokes are funny and Rainbow Six lacked the wow factor that Watch Dogs had in 2012 and The Division had last year. Then I would put Sony. I thought the games they showed were overall more worthwhile than Microsoft and they actually showed in-game footage for most of their presentation. But the pacing was awful with the first third being great, the middle third being almost unbearable, and the final third being fine if a bit disappointing with a 10 second Uncharted 4 reveal being the end. Microsoft would come in second simply because it was 90 minutes of games. Not even a guy talking over most of them. Just games from start to finish. Now half of those games were shown purely in the form of CG trailers, and those were the ones I was actually interested in, so that knocks them out of first place. I appreciate how they ran the show I just couldn't care less about the games they actually showed gameplay for.

Nintendo easily takes the prize for me and this comes from someone who has never owned a Nintendo console (I've owned all their handhelds except the 3DS though). I thought almost every game they showed looked awesome. Loved the art style for the new Yoshi and Kirby and I love 2D platformers. Thought the new Zelda looked amazing. Glad to see the community get to try their hand at making Mario levels, if only to see people realize how damn good Nintendo is at it. I have no understanding of what those Captain Toad levels were about in Mario 3D World but I am interested at the very least. Splatoons was a surprisingly refreshing looking arena shooter. Hyrule Warriors I could care less about, and the Xenoblade trailer didn't really sell me on the game, but overall Nintendo had the most games I was interested in and every single one of them was shown with actual gameplay. Plus, I got a laugh out of the Mother 3 joke and thought that the Reggie/Iwata battle was hilarious. So they win for me.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

The Microsoft conference was an example how to do a press conference right, the games weren't as exciting as I'd hoped but the presentation itself was damn near flawless. Nintendo had the games. All the games. There were some duds in their but that's mostly down to taste. There was something for everyone watching that show to be ridiculously excited about.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo was easily my favorite.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

usually I'm about the last person to start supporting nintendo, but their first party line up has better potential at this point to be something that will get me to buy their console.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before Nintendo, Microsoft. I just don't about most of the stuff Sony was showing. Nintendo, however. Now I want a system I didn't plan on ever wanting :(.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't watched the nintendo one yet but I did see the other 4. I don't think there is anything that nintendo could do to make me pick them either. I picked sony, let me start with MS. I thought MS did a great job of showing games one after another. I picked sony cause I thought they also did a good job showing games and talked about the future and other things. Maybe if MS went on longer they would have thrown in more stuff. I thought sony had everything including some boring stuff about business.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo by a landslide. Sony was good until the second half, Microsoft and Ubisoft was good and I didn't give a fuck in the ass about EA.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I've only seen 3 so far (Microsoft, EA and Ubisoft)

So far: 1. Ubisoft 2. Microsoft (I thought they had a decent presentation) 3. EA (what a fucking shambles - all the feels)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Hello EA employees, welcome to Giant Bomb.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo, easily. I'm getting a new Zelda game on the Wii U next year. Enough said.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe Sony is beating Ubisoft. Sony did have better games for sure but I wasn't bored for like half an hour during Ubisoft like I was during the whole TV/movies/vita tv/playstation plus/other garbage part of Sony.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Microsoft and Nintendo were both great, Sony could've been up there if it had been streamlined a bit.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

EA had the worst, but I honestly would feel Microsoft returned to top after the mess that was last year

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I thought Ubi (WEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD aside), MS, Sony and Nintendo all had really solid shows. I don't any of them really blew me away but if I had to pick one, I guess I'd say MS though Nintendo wasn't far behind.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@face15 said:

I can't believe Sony is beating Ubisoft. Sony did have better games for sure but I wasn't bored for like half an hour during Ubisoft like I was during the whole TV/movies/vita tv/playstation plus/other garbage part of Sony.

It depends on what people are rating them on. The poll was "who had the best conference" not "who had the best presentation." I thought that section was boring, but I watch the conferences to see what games they'll announce before the show floor opens. So I'll rate the conferences based on the games I'd want to play, because to me, E3 is about the games.

If I were solely basing it on presentation, I would say Microsoft had the best presentation (not including Nintendo, since I haven't watched it yet, and only know what games they showed). However, even with that boring section, Sony had more games I was interested in, so I would rate Sony above Microsoft. And purely judging them on the games they showed, Nintendo had the most games I was interested in. One might say that most of those come out in 2015, but that was the same with the other two platforms.

I don't bother rating Ubisoft or EA, because I can pick up their games on either Xbox One or PS4.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Capum15

Honestly, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all had a lot of games I would enjoy playing, and all started making me think of getting some new consoles. EA seemed kind of not there, like they could have probably skipped this and waited for next year. I have yet to go watch the Ubisoft conference though.

Though Sony did have a dragging middle, but even still, I only really look at the games in these.

So I can't really vote for one or another. I'm just excited for video games.

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo had good conferences and a bunch of games that I'd like to play. In terms of first party though, there was more interest from me in the Microsoft stuff (as No Man's Sky will live on my PC).

So Microsoft for me. But the real thing I'm happy about is that I thought E3 would be a washout this year and I've found it really enjoyable with a lot of good stuff to look forward to.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I liked MS' show the most overall, but Nintendo had the most exciting individual announcement with Zelda Wii U and just general warm fuzzy feelings throughout their show.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Otacon

Sony had an excellent showing, but Nintendo made me ridiculously excited about the next year on wii u. MS did a good job too, but I didn't feel particularly convinced that Xbox one was the place to play the games they showed. Sunset overdrive looks incredible though.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nintendo was really the only one plugging games relevant to my interests, so yay!

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Could care less but as for winners, as usual, players. Those who seem this matters, might want to check your priorities.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

These alone was better than anything at the other conferences.

Loading Video...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Ubisoft! I mean come on; it was short, lively, and they showed off some great games.

If you only want to consider the big three, which many of you seem to only want to do, than Sony did the best job. Sony during its show demoed a wide variety of games, hardware and initiatives. They were not afraid to show they had a lot to say, Microsoft censored itself with its "we only show games" show...but they painted themselves in that corner from last year.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony. They were the only ones with games that I actually wanted to play. Except for Microsoft with Advanced Warfare, because that looks AWESOME. Ubisoft had a few cool games/trailers(Rainbow Six), but overall Sony was the one that I enjoyed watching the most. I think it is crazy that people are crapping so much on the Sony conference when maybe 20% wasn't about games. They had just as much game stuff as Microsoft, the longer conference just allowed them to have the extra PSN stuff. Really, the only part that was kind of slow was the Powers part, but that at least had the reveal that the show would be free on PS+.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By HerbieBug

Well, prior to watching the Nintendo thing I had no interest in the Wuu whatsoever. Now, I am probably going to buy one. Bear in mind that I have not owned a Nintendo product since the N64.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#87  Edited By benspyda

Sony's was pretty damn boring. Microsoft did a great job of just game after game. I was also surprised how Nintendo actually made the Wii U look like a console worth getting.

So Microsoft and Nintendo were the best hands down. Thankfully for Sony the PS4 is still the best console to own, which I assume is why sony has got so many votes in the poll? The Far Cry bit and the announcement of Bloodborne was great but overall as a conference it dragged like hell.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea how anyone watching the press conferences can think that Sony had a better press conference than Microsoft. The whole middle part was just awful. Nintendo's was the best but Microsoft's was second best. I will say that Sony's had more games that interest me but still Microsoft's was more entertaining to watch.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Ninty, then Sony. Sony spent too much time talking about bullshit like Powers and not talking about bullshit like The Last Guardian.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SomeJerk

Sony's conference brought me and countless other PS4 users a weekend of testing an old limited build of Destiny.

It more than makes up for 15 minutes of Bendis, but MS had an absolutely amazing positive conference compared to their past five years.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nintendo's conference turned me from a skeptic into a cautiously optimistic believer, and I've been a skeptic for many, many years. Other than that, I thought the others were ok, except for EA which had some presentation issues.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony had the best moments for me, more surprises than the others.

If they cut out would of just left the 30 minutes of the other divisions of Sony they would of had a really great showing

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None were particular great this year. Though I did enjoy the far cry 4 footage at Sony.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sony like every year.microsoft had a good conference though for once.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Nintendo really punched above their weight with their conference I felt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.