The Gun Club: EA Announces Its Own Rewards Program

• 57 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
EA is once again proving that it's serious about getting its users to register their games online. Earlier this afternoon, the publisher announced an "affinity awards program" dubbed The Gun Club, which in a nutshell, gives users benefits like in-game unlocks and early access to demos in betas in return for playing EA-published shooters such as Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or, eventually, Medal of Honor.

You can sign up for the Gun Club right now with your EA account, if you so desire, but you'll need to have one of the games supported titles. As for what the future holds for support, well, we're not too sure. But we're told that Battlefield Heroes and Dead Space 2 will eventually be members.  So there's that.

What can you unlock now? If you're a Battlefield: BC 2 "VIP," you're eligible for an invite to the Medal of Honor beta and will be able to access the game's M24 Sniper Rifle before anyone else. Neat.     

UPDATE: Looks like the Gun Club link is dead. Keep checkin', I suppose.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
EA is once again proving that it's serious about getting its users to register their games online. Earlier this afternoon, the publisher announced an "affinity awards program" dubbed The Gun Club, which in a nutshell, gives users benefits like in-game unlocks and early access to demos in betas in return for playing EA-published shooters such as Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or, eventually, Medal of Honor.

You can sign up for the Gun Club right now with your EA account, if you so desire, but you'll need to have one of the games supported titles. As for what the future holds for support, well, we're not too sure. But we're told that Battlefield Heroes and Dead Space 2 will eventually be members.  So there's that.

What can you unlock now? If you're a Battlefield: BC 2 "VIP," you're eligible for an invite to the Medal of Honor beta and will be able to access the game's M24 Sniper Rifle before anyone else. Neat.     

UPDATE: Looks like the Gun Club link is dead. Keep checkin', I suppose.
#2 Edited by Insectecutor (1187 posts) -

Gun club? Seriously? This reveal was a baffling moment in the press conference.

Edit: oh wow I got points for this stupid comment.

#3 Posted by LimblessPoet (31 posts) -

yes guns

#4 Posted by freakydude20 (79 posts) -

HA

#5 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1905 posts) -

God this was so stupid... Especially the ridiculous song that went along with it.

#6 Posted by MacGeorge (177 posts) -

Extremely Bad name, Exremely Bad idea.
#7 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

Rockstar socialclub clone?

#8 Posted by Darko (115 posts) -

Don't really get the hate. It's just a rewards program. Who really gives a fuck what it's called? Just not rage-worthy to me.

#9 Posted by Mr_I (7 posts) -

site is having technical issues currently

#10 Posted by ip007 (266 posts) -

OK? Taking a queue for Bungie and Rockstar I see.

#11 Posted by Marz (5655 posts) -

#12 Posted by Darksaw (315 posts) -

Site is down for me when I try to log in.

#13 Posted by Slurpelve (612 posts) -

it busy now, u can't even sign-up damnit

#14 Edited by JamesM (207 posts) -

I'm not sure I want yet another incentive to play certain games. I'm already being pulled in too many directions at once. I have enough difficulty finishing things before other things come out. I have a literal pile of shame on my desk. It's getting dangerously tall. As in physically dangerous.

Also, what's all this foo nonsense? Is somebody messing with the site templates?

#15 Posted by colinjw (220 posts) -

Ok then.

#16 Posted by Jeffk38uk (716 posts) -

Shame the login is down right now, as the possibility of a MOH beta is enticing. Unless you preordered it, in which case Thursday better be free for you lol.

#17 Posted by Tyrant1x (27 posts) -

Terrible name but I have to love EA for their hit and miss humour

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

And of course it doesnt work! 

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11995 posts) -

This is embarrassing and slightly patronising =/

#20 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Please nobody sign up. Don't encourage this crap.

EA isn't doing this to be nice. They have motives behind it.

#21 Posted by Baggykins (836 posts) -

This seems like a dreadful idea to me :/

#22 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I hate EA so much.

#23 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

eh... so it's a cross franchise veteran's program. makes sense to me but I hate to see my perfect level 8 BF veteranship go unnoticed with it starting over at 0 with Bad Company 2 in this system.

#24 Posted by Rasgueado (718 posts) -

Hrmm... now they just need to get the gun club site working in 3 days. =)

#25 Posted by MeetThePyro (334 posts) -

Just more hoops that you have to jump through.

#26 Posted by Restrikted (3 posts) -

Cant join the club... Their website is broken

#27 Posted by dexterslu (290 posts) -

I actually think this is a great idea - hardly new (Club Nintendo).  Great name, I don't understand why people don't like it - what else would they name it? EA SHOOTIN DUDES CLUB!?  

Ok, that might be awesome.

#28 Posted by Mechanized (327 posts) -

I hate all these stupid sign up to get shit programs. Put this stuff in the fucking game or fuck off.

#29 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -
@TripMasterMunky said:
" Please nobody sign up. Don't encourage this crap.  EA isn't doing this to be nice. They have motives behind it. "
God damn these businesses and all their business.  How dare they try to make money.
#30 Posted by ZGoon (272 posts) -
@freshym said:
" I hate all these stupid sign up to get shit programs. Put this stuff in the fucking game or fuck off. "
I agree 185,000%
#31 Posted by Lunchbox55 (18 posts) -

#32 Posted by yami4ct (156 posts) -

I don't mind these kinds of rewards programs, but man is that name terrible. The trailer they played was very odd as well. 

#33 Posted by Wraith1 (561 posts) -

man what a stupid idea

#34 Posted by dogsounds (19 posts) -

It seems to be broken. I have that effect.

#35 Posted by Sniipe (216 posts) -

Why does it say foooo?

#36 Posted by Jellybones (107 posts) -

Medal of Honor: Enemy Territory (might as well be!) beta starts Thursday and I am all over this gun club.

#37 Posted by TobyD81 (1228 posts) -

Not sure I like the heavy emphasis on shooters, in the general gaming world. Shooters are cool, but they're not the only thing out there. EA, I buy a lot of Rock Bad songs, so how about a Music Club?

#38 Edited by Chrjz (334 posts) -

Cool I'm getting me in the Medal of Honor beta.

#39 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

Haters gonna hate.

#40 Posted by SenorTrampoline (122 posts) -

hey baby you got tickets to the gun club? WHABAM

#41 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -
@ZGoon said:

" @freshym said:

" I hate all these stupid sign up to get shit programs. Put this stuff in the fucking game or fuck off. "

I agree 185,000% "
The stuff IS in the game, learn to read.
Only thing you are getting is access to beta and one weapon unlock off the bat rather then with normal multiplayer leveling. The weapon is in the game and everyone will have it regardless.
#42 Posted by RedRocketWestie (381 posts) -

They're definitely setting a tone with that name...

#43 Posted by Phototropic (68 posts) -

Not a fan.

#44 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1265 posts) -

I really hope this doesn't become a hassle and just stays a nice optional bonus like it's been for BFBC2 so far!

#45 Posted by AliZeyk (20 posts) -

should add in support for older games I already bought.

#46 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

OK this site has been down since I saw the website announced live. When the hell will they fix it?

#47 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@yami4ct said:
" I don't mind these kinds of rewards programs, but man is that name terrible. The trailer they played was very odd as well.  "
When I saw the screenshot first just before they announced it, I thought it was an announcement for Black 2. 
#48 Posted by Blackout62 (1347 posts) -

God, it's like my relationship with EA & Dice was destroyed because I didn't buy BC:2. Come on guys don't you remember the good times we had.

#49 Posted by Seedofpower (3932 posts) -

Meh.... is this free?

#50 Posted by Zero_Kane (9 posts) -

I don't play enough shooters(especially from EA)  for this to have any meaning for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.