Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

EVE Online Updates, Returns To Shelves

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Atari has put the game back in a box and back onto shelves.
    Tech 3 ships. New wormholes to explore. Epic mission arcs. Redesigned interfaces. A character creation screen that might not send you running away, screaming in terror. These are some of the things that CCP is rolling out today with the release of its tenth free expansion for EVE Online, Apocrypha.

When we had Noah Ward from CCP out a couple of weeks back, he showed us a version of the game that had menus that were easier to navigate, and a lot of the stuff he talked about made it sound like the game would be easier to get into for new players. The new boxed release, EVE Online: Special Edition, is also built with that in mind, allowing players to start with a bit of a faction bonus and some other "quick start" items.

Ward sold us pretty hard on Iceland, which sounds like a fun place to visit. We also got our podcast on.

After seeing the upcoming update in action, it seemed silly to even create a character before today, so now that the game has been properly apocryphied, I'm going to give it a shot in the very near future. Hopefully that new epic mission arc will give me some much-needed direction at the beginning of my space-life.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Tech 3 ships. New wormholes to explore. Epic mission arcs. Redesigned interfaces. A character creation screen that might not send you running away, screaming in terror. These are some of the things that CCP is rolling out today with the release of its tenth free expansion for EVE Online, Apocrypha.

When we had Noah Ward from CCP out a couple of weeks back, he showed us a version of the game that had menus that were easier to navigate, and a lot of the stuff he talked about made it sound like the game would be easier to get into for new players. The new boxed release, EVE Online: Special Edition, is also built with that in mind, allowing players to start with a bit of a faction bonus and some other "quick start" items.

Ward sold us pretty hard on Iceland, which sounds like a fun place to visit. We also got our podcast on.

After seeing the upcoming update in action, it seemed silly to even create a character before today, so now that the game has been properly apocryphied, I'm going to give it a shot in the very near future. Hopefully that new epic mission arc will give me some much-needed direction at the beginning of my space-life.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tekmojo

Enjoy the voyage, it's a long one.

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By RiddleBrother

LET THE CRAZY BEGIN>~!!!!!

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Death_Burnout

Dude whatever, the character creation screen (or screens) was awesome.

ColinD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ColinD

LET THE CRAZY CONTINUE*

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero

This game was hard, I had no clue what I was doing..I just wanted to shoot stuff, instead I ended up mining >_> alone...

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

I thought about giving this game a try.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OmegaPirate

Im a bit of an eve Vet - so if Jeff or any of you guys for that matter want  guiding hand around eve -be sure to add me  -EVe name - TheKnightOfCydonia

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Alphazero

Space Luchadeer demands your dollars. All corporations must immediately pay tribute.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

I tried the Steam free trial and boy howdy was that something. I just sat there looking at the screen and went somewhere, missed something important, I think and said goodbye. With another free trial... I might try it again. I wonder if it's still available?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By MeatSim

I do want to play a sc-fi MMO but I'll wait for the new star wars one.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Milkman

I'm a little confused how the subscription process works for EVE Online. Is there a set $15 per month fee and then all the expansions are free? Or is this expansion being a free a new concept for EVE?

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Man, you guys really like EVE. Weird.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OmegaPirate

You pay the 15 dollar a month  and everything, all new content no matter what -is all inclusive and free - its wonderful

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Expansions are just really big patches amd are obviously free which is the way mmorpgs that want to run a persistent world will all need to go.

Metiphis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Metiphis

Join a powerful corporation as soon as you can, like GoonSquad.  They own the game right now.

Plus corps give "signing bonuses" like huge amounts of credits and ships.  If it's a worthwhile corp, that is.
    Crispy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Crispy

Endurance Run#Two.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

So what, they just simplified character creation? Or just made it easier to use but with just as much potential? I would hate to think I missed out on some incredibly complex creation stuffs.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Milkman

Ok, here's another question. Steam says that they are offering a 21 day free trial. However, when I go to make an account on the EVE Online website, it is telling me I need to buy an account for $20. Do I really need to give these guys my credit card information for just the free trial?

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Juvarial
    Milkman you shouldent, if you want i can send you a player 21 day trial-I think it may just be steam. 
    Eve is an amazing game with the stupidest learning cliff ive ever seen. I started playing it at the end of january 09, my xfire has a reported 318 hours logged since i started end of jan : P. I hope that everyone who tries eve understands the fact that the game is MASSIVE and shouldent be taken lightly. It takes lots of work and research but in the end its just a game and honestly no game has given me such a challenge-Being a competent eve pilot has been one of the most intresting gaming experiances ive had so far.
    Eve=Crazy
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Milkman

Juvarial, well I tried to download the trial and Steam was telling me that I need an account. I probably did something wrong here. So, I'm gonna fool around with it and see what I can do.

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By packfan104l4

If anyone wants a extended 21 day trial and doesn't pick up the box, just send me a msg and I can hook you up.

1400 hours logged so far since I installed Xfire a year ago and counting.  This game isn't for anyone, but if it is, you're hooked.

Artimisticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Artimisticus

If you guys start a GiantBomb corp i will definitely reactivate my account. Of course, i probably will anyway in the near future...

Varone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Varone

Yeah man!! I've been trying to get into this game so hard. I've gone the full length on 4 (count em!) trial accounts to really get a feel for it, but the news of this expansion and you giving it a go too will definately make me try a fifth. Thanks Jeff!

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I will say that if you're coming off of WoW, WAR, or any other objective-based MMO, you're in for a rude awakening. This game is so open-ended, and so large and complex, that it throws traditional "level & raid" MMO players scratching their heads.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Milkman

Ok, I'm confused and I still haven't even downloaded it. I installed the 21 day trial from Steam and it told me that it could not connect to a main server. So, I un-installed the game and went a made a trial account on the EVE Online website, which in turn gave me a 14 day trial and gave me the option to download the game from there. However, I like to be difficult so I said "Hey, I want the 21 day trial. Not the 14 day." So, now I am downloading the EVE Online trial from Steam. So, am I gonna get like 35 days? Or am I just gonna break it?

REMOVE_NOZZLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By REMOVE_NOZZLE

Picking my copy up tomorrow :D

LCadejoNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LCadejoNegro

You dont need a Credit Card number.I got a 15 day trail a few weeks ago and it didnt ask me for anything like that. I started playing it, but man that a really step curve. im going to give it another shot too. so add me if anyone wants. my eve name is= LCadejoNegro

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By dagas

I've had my account since April 2004 and at least half of that time it was been inactive, probably more. I really have a love-hate relationship with EVE. I have 42 million SP and still not satisfied with my skills =P this is not the game for people who like to "max out" their level because they add more skills faster than you can research them unless you joined and day one and have been playing since, although not even that is enough. The good thing is of course that you don't have to grind as much, just for money not XP.

SadPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SadPanda

More direction in EVE is always a good thing. Around 5 times now I've reactivated an account, eager to get into the freeform space goodness and each time the enthusiasm has just petered out, and I'm a guy that likes mining for Gumby's sake.

nekoNari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nekoNari

LOL. That Lead Designer, Noah Ward, is making rounds with all major game-related media outlet: GiantBomb, IdleThumbs, 1UP (I think)... Guess CCP wanted to get him to hype up their new update. Too bad the game's extremely hard to break into... I've tried twice and, like many others, failed to stick and develop a loving relationship with it. Can't they make it easier to break in somehow? (i.e. get rid of mining. Make drones do it. They certainly have technology. Don't they?)

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zityz

Yea, I'm really wanting to dive into a Sci-Fi MMO myself as I'm sick of swords and spells myself, I'm definatly going to pick up the star wars mmo whenever its released, but I may have to give this a shot to fill the void.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#33  Edited By ahoodedfigure

OK, but will the GB staff ever play it?

Avatar image for heroicdrinkingsong
    HeroicDrinkingSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I hearby renew my call for the formation of the Giant Bomb Fleet.  We could raid the stars in the name of the luchadeer!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Media_Master

I'd rather play games on my PS3 and Wii

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36  Edited By mrhankey

I just want you to know Jeff, if you all don't review this game, i will probably never buy it...now wouldn't that be sad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.