Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3 will be far removed from Fallout

lafigueroa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By lafigueroa

The following post contains a collection of quotes and links collected by RobbieH. All credits go to him

For example, a city called Megaton was built around a crater where a nuclear bomb fell but never detonated." Link
    "At one point we set one of the exploding nuclear cars on fire and then hopped into a portable nuclear shelter (which costs a quarter to use and looks like a phone booth) to avoid the blast."Link
    "Pulling the Fat Man from our shoulder pack, we launched several explosives roughly the size of footballs at the feet of the behemoth, making light work of the creature – it only took 5 nukes."Link
    "We came across a Behemoth Super Mutant - one of the game's bosses - that could only be taken down easily with this device. The small nuclear explosions are fantastic, and those worried about balance will be relieved to know that it took several of them to bring him down."Link
    "Feral ghouls are extremely swift and vicious and come leaping at you with tremendous speed."Link
    "but there were also Glowing Ghouls who have fully absorbed the radioactivity and effectively heal their brethren by a radioactive burst of curative fluids."Link
    Zapping the player with radiation attack. Link
    "eventually make your character extremely ill if you let them zap you with their radiation-based attacks."Link
    "Poor INT will NOT affect your dialogue choices."Link
    "Most of the weapons and armors (even power armor and turbo plasma) can be found by in early parts of the game, but they have their disadvantages"Link
    "The Pip-Boy has a radar on which the opponents are visible. Its range depends on the player's perception." Link
    "The only time we really level stuff to your character is when we lock you in an area you can't leave, we don't want the enemies you're fighting to be grossly out of proportion to your character because you can't leave."Link
    Flaming sword: Link
    Suck-o-tron: Link
    Toaster weapon: Link
    Bobble heads increase stats: Link
    Nerfed combat & less consequences: Link
    No xp from sneaking, have to kill them: Link
    "You laugh your ass off when you see a mutant's leg get blown off. It never gets old - it hasn't yet." Link
    "The dark humor of talking to an old lady who's really nice to you, and then blow her head off, put her head on a counter, and pretend to talk to her...there's a certain charm to that." Link
    "Had they not been identified as the Brotherhood of Steel (multiple times), I would not for the life of me have guessed who they were. They are described as "noble knights of the wasteland" setting out to beat the supermutants while swearing and behaving like average US soldier clichés."Link
    "They're worried whether the VATS slo-mo is practical with the multitude of fights in FO3. 10 seconds of non-interactive cutscene during every shot?" Link
    Town level cap: Link

For those looking for more evidence, check out the fan interviews on Bethesda's Fallout 3 forums, where you will find that perks were merged with traits, the quest compass from Oblivion was thrown in, fast travel was thrown in, the Enclave was ressurected, killing people with teddy bears was in, that we had seriously over-estimated the choices and consequences in the game, unkillable children, some unkillable NPCs and that most of the themes were severely toned down

For those asking why there are so many Fallout fans angry at Bethesda, the above list is it. I personally can't say whether "Oblivion 2" (their words, not mine) a good game, or even a good RPG, but I most certainly can tell you this is not the true sequel to Fallout 2 that the fans waited 10 years for.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KindGalaxy

Geeze you think alot. I saw a Rock-It Launcher, it launches anything in your inventory at an enemy, from a pack of smokes to teddy bears, bolts and even nuka cola bottles; that is awesome. Loved Fallout 1 and 2, but really; that style of game with those gameplay mechanics is no 21st century, mainstream, multiplatform viable.

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jigen

I don't think there should be changes to the wiki features of the site based upon fanboyish opinions.

myzticaznfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By myzticaznfool

I have not played any of the Fallout games, yet, I am very excited about Fallout 3 for its style and "Oblivion with guns" like gameplay.

dillonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By dillonator

I so want to worship an atomic bomb.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KindGalaxy

It doesn't look like the Overview page for Fallout 3 is based on fanboyish opinions, it has caused a stir in the NMA (No Mutants Allowed website) community, although yeah; if people are going to rewrite an overview or character information page stating their opinion, such as "Fallout 3 is going to suck coz it doesn't give me XP for sneaking." Then it'll be moderated, either by the community or by the staff here themselves.

RobbieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RobbieH
    KindGalaxy said:
    "Geeze you think alot. I saw a Rock-It Launcher, it launches anything in your inventory at an enemy, from a pack of smokes to teddy bears, bolts and even nuka cola bottles; that is awesome. Loved Fallout 1 and 2, but really; that style of game with those gameplay mechanics is no 21st century, mainstream, multiplatform viable.
    "
    Which is why Dragon Age features turn based gameplay and an isometric camera? And why Diablo 3 is a damn faithful sequel to a game that came out 8 years ago?

lafigueroa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lafigueroa
    KindGalaxy said:
    "Geeze you think alot. I saw a Rock-It Launcher, it launches anything in your inventory at an enemy, from a pack of smokes to teddy bears, bolts and even nuka cola bottles; that is awesome. Loved Fallout 1 and 2, but really; that style of game with those gameplay mechanics is no 21st century, mainstream, multiplatform viable.
    "
    Even with updates in gameplay, there's no excuse for telephone booths that can resist nuclear attacks...I mean, really Bethesda, magic Nuclear resistant Telephone booths? Why didn't everyone cram in them when the bombs fell? 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
    deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lafigueroa said:
    "KindGalaxy said:
    "
    Even with updates in gameplay, there's no excuse for telephone booths that can resist nuclear attacks...I mean, really Bethesda, magic Nuclear resistant Telephone booths? Why didn't everyone cram in them when the bombs fell? 
    "
    There wasn't enough room for more than 2 people
    KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KindGalaxy
    RobbieH said:
    "KindGalaxy said:
    "
    Which is why Dragon Age features turn based gameplay and an isometric camera? And why Diablo 3 is a damn faithful sequel to a game that came out 8 years ago?"
    Well, I'd argue that game developers aren't robots and shouldn't be expected to repeat a previous game's style again and again; especially when it is a different developer in the case of Bethesda Softworks. It'd be soul-crushing I'd imagine, to work on a game and be told "But you're not allowed any creative input, just make this game just like Black Isle Studios did"
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Atlas

Who cares if it's not a direct sequal? It's probably gonna be a fucking sick game. I don't get all the people damning Bethesda for making some changes. When you move into a house, regardless of who previously owned it, you are going to make some changes, sometimes big changes. It's still the same house, it just has different owners now. Don't like it? Then tough luck, but bitching will get you nowhere.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By xplodedd

If you don't wan't to play fallout because it is unworthy to its predessors, go and re-install fallout 2. What they are trying to do, is mordernize fallout 3 so it fits to a larger audience. This may be a step back for hardcore, but they are trying to get the majority. As Jeff and Ryan stated, the demo was combat, the whole thing isnt gonna  be combat

RobbieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RobbieH
    KindGalaxy said:
    "RobbieH said:
    "KindGalaxy said:
    "
    Which is why Dragon Age features turn based gameplay and an isometric camera? And why Diablo 3 is a damn faithful sequel to a game that came out 8 years ago?"
    Well, I'd argue that game developers aren't robots and shouldn't be expected to repeat a previous game's style again and again; especially when it is a different developer in the case of Bethesda Softworks. It'd be soul-crushing I'd imagine, to work on a game and be told "But you're not allowed any creative input, just make this game just like Black Isle Studios did"
    "
    Indeed. However, if you're going to make a faithful Fallout game (which Beth claims they are) turn based combat comes with the territory. Isometric can go, it matters very little. Turn based combat (VATS is not turn based before anybody tries to tell me otherwise) on the other hand really is a must given how central it is to the SPECIAL system.

What annoys Fallout fans is that Beth have claimed that they're making a faithful sequel, they know what makes Fallout etc. yet they've A) completely toned the game down thematically, B) gone against canon and C) introduced things which have no place within the universe or which should not be in a Fallout game. Hence the rather large list in the OP.

Kaneda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kaneda
    RobbieH said:
    "KindGalaxy said:
    "
    Which is why Dragon Age features turn based gameplay and an isometric camera? And why Diablo 3 is a damn faithful sequel to a game that came out 8 years ago?

"
    It is a "faithful" (although stating that on the information there is so far is utter speculation) adaption because Diablo has [and still HAS] an gargantuan following. Also Blizzard is a company that does not take risks but looks at very good and successful games and mechanics and then creates an amalgam of those that is polished to almost perfection. That is why their games are selling so well. Dragon Age also looks like a dated and really mediocre game.

lafigueroa said:
    "KindGalaxy said:
    "
    "

So building Ecodomes in the time of the cold war, laser guns, atomic powered cars, power armors, loads of beneficial mutations, briefcases that create utopias arent ridicoulous but telephone booth bomb shelters are? Did you even try to turn your Brain on before posting?

And when was Fallout about the Core Gameplay anyway? It was mediocre even back then. Jagged Alliance 2 had better gameplay in almost every aspect. Fallout is about the dialouges, the quirky totally over the top humour, the over the top violence and the ridicoulous tech. Its about exploring and giving you a giant Sand Box in which you can roam and do whatever you want.

From what whe seen so far it nails the humour very nicely. The freeroaming seems nice. And if you can do whatever you want is yet to be seen.

Concerning the Gameplay the game looks like a very polished and thought out evolution of Oblivion. The VATS system seems like a very fresh take on the RPG Genre which was needed badly. And from what we have seen and heard so far the biggest problem that Oblivion and all other Bethesda Games had (and the original Fallouts had the same problem as well), that it looked generic and alike on every corner has been adressed. Thats why they shrunk the size of the game World and reduced the amount of NPCs.

Youll always have a bunch of bitching fanboys that basically want to play the game they have already played but just longer. Happens in MMOS all the time. Its those whimpy whiners that after spending 192 days /played in MMO X demand more content and whine constantly about the fact that the game got boring. There is a solution: PLAY ANOTHER DAMN GAME if its done. And dont complain if a sequel keeps the spirit of the original but tries to something fresh and new.
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By OGCartman

Fallout 3s gameplay video looks phenominal!

Neopezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Neopezz

While i am sad about the departure from the traditional Fallout game play I'm still exited about the potential of this new 3D first person Fallout world. That being said people who love the Fallout franchise seem to view this as somebody destroying one of their most beloved worlds however I believe it is best to see it as somebody expanding the know universe and take a few liberties along the way to accommodate for a wider more action oriented audience. 

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By mathewballard

I can't wait for Fallout 3, I think it will be fantastic!

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MisterMollusk

I think... people that don't like the game now will see it get reviewed. They will then proceed to purchase and play them game. And then they will enjoy it immensely.

I think it would be cool if Bethesda made a Star Wars game in a fashion similar to Oblivion. Anyone else think so?

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By CoinMatze

I'm with Neopezz. I have good memories of the old Fallout games but this game might just be totally rad, man! I'm glad that the combat is faster. I just want the story and atmosphere to be fallout. I want dialogues to be meaningful. I will uninstall Fallout 3 if there are topics instead of real sentences. I hated Oblivion for that. It was very generic.

btw, I think there should be absolutely no talking to people who haven't played Fallout 1 or 2. Those games are classics, mustplays, common knowledge.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By BlackWaterCO

TC is annoying, but Guns = cool game, LOL

I saw the E3 demo and then saw a better version of the same demo on G4

Im really stoked about F3

Avatar image for cleverloginname
    CleverLoginName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CleverLoginName

Black Isle Studios went under so you should consider it lucky that the franchise is still alive. 

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Rio

As great as the past games were, Im excited to see the art style taken in a new gameplay direction.  The perks of Oblivion will be fitted to a much more interesting world with a more mature theme to it.  Even though i can see why the fallout vets are annoyed by the changes I cant help but love how F3 plays.

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By evilhomer

Fallout 3 is my most anticipated game for the rest of the year.  It's been too long since the last one to complain about the direction of the game for taking advantage of the new hardware.  as long as it's not as disappointing as the new shadowrun I'll be happy.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By pbhawks45
    Atlas said:
    "Who cares if it's not a direct sequal? It's probably gonna be a fucking sick game. I don't get all the people damning Bethesda for making some changes. When you move into a house, regardless of who previously owned it, you are going to make some changes, sometimes big changes. It's still the same house, it just has different owners now. Don't like it? Then tough luck, but bitching will get you nowhere."
    Exactly. Bioshock wasn't a direct sequel, and that was pretty good.
    veXedbulldog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By veXedbulldog

I think people who are disappointed that Bethesda is not making some sort of turn-based isometric RPG should avoid the upcoming sequel and go back to running Win95 on their Pentiums to enjoy the good ol' Interplay days.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Termite

Well, it sure is different from the old fallout ( Which just for the record, I never played but know enough about ).

But Bethesda is a pretty good company so the new game should work out quite well

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vivek

Oblivion on a smaller scale with time stopping aiming skills with endless amount of guns im onboard

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hamz
    Jigen said:
    "I don't think there should be changes to the wiki features of the site based upon fanboyish opinions.
    "
    God help us when the fanboys reach 1000 points and get to bypass the moderation period for submissions....
    MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MisterMollusk

I wonder if anyone's going to just put up a bunch of porn when they get moderation status... that'd be a funny april fools joke.

Womble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Womble

For everyone complaining about these one-man Fallout shelters, check out the Gamespot E3 Demo, you can see a corpse inside whilst the demo'er explains that they didn't work.

Slim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Slim

If you feel so betrayed by the direction this game is going the answer is simple, don't buy it, no one is going to force you to. As for me i'm going to buy it the day it comes out and get to killing super mutants.

Avatar image for something_clever
    Something_Clever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Something_Clever

My main problem with the way bethesda has chosen to go with the franchise is that they went the easy way. There really isn't that many Fallout fanboys compared to Elder Scrolls fanboys. So they decided to make the game they are used to making, and are guaranteed all the elder scroll fanboys plus all the people who liked Oblivion. Since turn based is uncool nowadays, and iso is on the same wobbly track they couldn't be sure how many they would sell if they went that route. It has everything to do with PR these days.

But if they aren't making a game aimed at the Fallout fanboys, why did they buy that license when the kids these days could really care less about fallout(fallout what?)?  It's like if bungie shut down and in ten years another comapny buys the Halo license and sets out to make Halo 4. Though this time, it's a turn based rpg. All the halo fans would be pissed. You can't call that Halo 4, Halo is a fps, multiplayer fast action fun with tons of fun toys and game mods.  If  your making a turn based rpg, why did you have to buy the Halo Franchise? Couldn't you make your own setting?

It just comes of as disrespectful.

Nexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nexus
    Something_Clever said:

It just comes of as disrespectful.

That's annoying.

If you've read or seen any interviews with the development team you'll know that they have nothing but the utmost respect for the franchise. I've had the pleasure of listening to a friend's interview he did for Strategy Informer with the lead designer and just listening to him talk so fervently about how much respect there is for the original IP was enough for me to be calmed. Let alone the fact that their main inspiration is Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' which is one of the best modern pieces of literature i've read. If it wasn't for Bethesda owning the license we would never see another Fallout game from Interplay, at least not in the scope that the industry demands these days. Rumours abound of Interplay working on a license relating to a Fallout MMO but that would never be commercially viable without the success that Fallout 3 is guarenteed to bring in.

Also, if anyone actually enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2 for what they were they'll know full well that the turn based isometric system isn't what set it aside as a classic. Those elements had already been done repeatedly. It was the setting, the personalisation, the story, the atmosphere... And in that sense I can not think of another developer who'd be better to bring Fallout to a new audience.
    toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toast_burner

that was a good list im even more hyped for this game now :D

DerBonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DerBonk
    MisterMollusk said:
    "I think it would be cool if Bethesda made a Star Wars game in a fashion similar to Oblivion. Anyone else think so?"
    THe problem is not that Bethesda is making another Fallout game. I personally would have loved turn-based combat, but that's not as crucial to me. But a lot of peopel here have said, they just want the Fallout story and style and this is another thign that bethesda is totally messing up. Big time. Just imagine a Star Wars game in a fashion similar to Oblivion, but Darth Vader actually is Han's father, kills the emperor and marries Leia. Oh and also, Darth Maul is back from the dead.  That's what they did to the Fallout storyline. This is just not a faithful sequel, I will probably still at least rent it and try it out (I did not like Oblivion at all, so I don't know if I'll really enjoy it), but they should just stop calling it a faithful sequel.
    knux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By knux

Ultimately is it Bethesda's responsibility to make a direct sequel? NO! You guys are getting the fact of owning an IP (Intellectual Property) and having some kind of responsibility attatched to that mixed up... Hell if I, all of a sudden, got Half-Life's IP and then said, "You know what, all the other game stuff, that was a dream! Gordon Freeman has a voice now and works at some place called Pink Science Hats..." I would be fully in my own right to do so... Would I make much money, well other than it has HALF-LIFE on the box I wouldn't expect many people to go pick it up if reviews sucked. Ultimately, for you people that are mad about this game, you know what you should do? Nothing! Just don't buy the damn thing! There is nothing like the absence of money in a Developer or Publisher's pocket to make them realize something isn't right... Petitions are crap, complaining is crap, jumping off of buildings with ten kids (though interesting to me) is crap. And then we gotta listen to the poloticians bitch about it and the game ends up making millions off all the publicity! So save yourself hurt feelings and flames on a message board and just SHUT UP ALL READY!

DerBonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DerBonk

I'm sorry, but of course Bethesda has the right to do whatever they want with what they own. This still doesn't mean that we can't/shouldn't complain, especially when they are just not doing what they are saying. Not buying the game will probably not make a difference, I will probably not buy it anyway, but by being vocal and complaining about things we regard as wrong we at least try to change something. I am a realist, Fallout 3 will sell a lot, because of Bethesda's reputation, because of Oblivion and because it will probably be a very good game. Just not a Fallout game. Complaining is not crap, I' not sure if Bethesda would have bothered thinking about VATS and some other stuff if it weren't for Fallout fans copmplaining. Dude, democracy is build on complaining. Once we stop complaining we could just as well buy Madden and Fifa every year and be happy if the cover is the biggest difference from last year's version. Now, if you think this is annoying (which I can understand, it sure is sometimes), just don't read these threads. Don't go to NMA or D&C and the whole thing will be a lot less annoying.

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vaultboy
    Kind
    "[J]ust make this game just like Black Isle Studios did"
    Imagine how many great RPGs we'd have.  But, with the loss of BIS and Troika I doubt we'll ever see RPGs that "hardcore" (for lack of a better term) again.  Each new release by Bethesda caters more and more to the lowest common denominator.

Fallout 3 looks terrible and each interview makes the game sound worse.  Bethesda would've been better off focussing on making it an action RPG.  Instead the game is one bad idea after another.  They couldn't even decide whether combat should be real-time or turn-based so they broke both.  They tried to implement "humor" and missed the mark by so far that it's sadistic.
    eileen_orr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By eileen_orr
    Kaneda said:
    "RobbieH said:
    "KindGalaxy said:
    "

"
    It is a "faithful" (although stating that on the information there is so far is utter speculation) adaption because Diablo has [and still HAS] an gargantuan following. Also Blizzard is a company that does not take risks but looks at very good and successful games and mechanics and then creates an amalgam of those that is polished to almost perfection. That is why their games are selling so well. Dragon Age also looks like a dated and really mediocre game.

lafigueroa said:
    "KindGalaxy said:
    "
    "

So building Ecodomes in the time of the cold war, laser guns, atomic powered cars, power armors, loads of beneficial mutations, briefcases that create utopias arent ridicoulous but telephone booth bomb shelters are? Did you even try to turn your Brain on before posting?

And when was Fallout about the Core Gameplay anyway? It was mediocre even back then. Jagged Alliance 2 had better gameplay in almost every aspect. Fallout is about the dialouges, the quirky totally over the top humour, the over the top violence and the ridicoulous tech. Its about exploring and giving you a giant Sand Box in which you can roam and do whatever you want.

From what whe seen so far it nails the humour very nicely. The freeroaming seems nice. And if you can do whatever you want is yet to be seen.

Concerning the Gameplay the game looks like a very polished and thought out evolution of Oblivion. The VATS system seems like a very fresh take on the RPG Genre which was needed badly. And from what we have seen and heard so far the biggest problem that Oblivion and all other Bethesda Games had (and the original Fallouts had the same problem as well), that it looked generic and alike on every corner has been adressed. Thats why they shrunk the size of the game World and reduced the amount of NPCs.

Youll always have a bunch of bitching fanboys that basically want to play the game they have already played but just longer. Happens in MMOS all the time. Its those whimpy whiners that after spending 192 days /played in MMO X demand more content and whine constantly about the fact that the game got boring. There is a solution: PLAY ANOTHER DAMN GAME if its done. And dont complain if a sequel keeps the spirit of the original but tries to something fresh and new.
    "
    Thank you. This isn't even a counter argument it's fact. I respect the Fallout 1& 2 fan's opinions, but they've got to be realistic and understand that games change. There's new consoles, new developers, fresh ideas. Otherwise we'd still be playing pacman on arcade machines, and while this is fun, we know we'd all be happy with a fresh take on gaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.