Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

If i loved this, how will i like oblivion?

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MikeHawk

i played fallout 3 back when it came out, but i thought that oblivion looked like a pretty good buy right now considering that i can get all of its expansions included for $30. So since im going from playing a superior clone beforehand to its technically inferior original, will i not like oblivion as much? The setting doesn't make much of a difference, but will i get the same feeling i did as when i played fallout back in november?

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By prinny_god

fallout 3 was not a superior clone it was just a a clone

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MikeHawk

graphically, it seemed like a superior clone. but maybe that's just me

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I think Fallout 3 was a better game than Oblivion in just about every way.  If you really liked Fallout 3 (it depends what you liked), odds are you'll find things you'll like in Oblivion and Morrowind as well.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I actually prefer Oblivion. Something about the atmosphere of Fallout 3 made me not love it as much (it is however still one of my favorite games of last year). The quests were in my opinion more fun (but shorter) than the quests in Fallout 3. The guild quests (especially for the thieves guild) were all especially fun. Just be prepared to see a lot of the same caves and ruins with slightly altered layouts instead of the unique locations that Fallout 3 had. You'll also be hearing a lot of the same voices.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By artofwar420

I played some Oblivion, and at the time it looked pretty awesome, Fallout 3 looks better obviously. I'd say Fallout 3 is more "compact" storywise, meaning the story and the characters are more fleshed out. In Oblivion you felt pretty alone. At least that was my experience. However, both are great Western RPGs, it's just preference. Bethesda, I salute you.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iamjohn

I love Fallout 3 to death.  I fucking loathe Oblivion.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Lashe

I preferred Oblivion. Just keep in mind it is very much a High Fantasy narrative. If that is up your street, then you'll love it

Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rapture

i liked oblivion better but since u've played fallout 3 already so there isn't any need to get oblivion.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Milkman

You'll like Oblivion a WHOLE LOT more. Do it.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

Fallout 3 is defiantly an evolution of Oblivion's gameplay design. It all depends how much you enjoy high fantasy. Seeing as how you can get the GOTY edition of on of 360's best titles that you've never played, you'd be a fool to not give it a try. Just understand i may feel a bit outdated to someone who' played Fallout first.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oblivion is better, both in terms of value (I would consider it a larger game, and GOTY edition is $20-30) and in quality (The pacing is a lot better, and you don't have to hunt for quests like you do in F3). So yes, you will love it.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By grilledcheez

I love Oblivion but hated Fallout 3...it seems like everybody's different on this issue.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Snail

I hate Oblivion, and I love Fallout 3.

I also bought Oblivion for the PS3, and I hate first-person games on consoles.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Scooper

I played both quite alot and I got different things from both games. In Fallout you can waste alot of time wondering around and maybe you'll stumble across a town and have some wierd quest or just some dialogue or some just unique thing that was interesting to you. You and your friends will have different places you find simply because there are soo many random things in the game and all are really cool. For instance that canibalistic village or the Oasis area. In Oblivion I still explored alot of the places but when I saw a random house the dialogue always seemed like it had been taken from a spreadsheet of generic responses that someone in Bethesda wrote and I didn't really find anything that interesting off-the-beaten-path as I did in Fallout.

That being said I did have a ton of fun playing Oblivion and I was thinking of rebuying it for the 360 so that I could replay it again with the excuse of getting the achievments. It's well-worth playing and graphically it still holds up well, even if I did just 1-hit-kill everything because I just sneaked around everywhere with a box shooting monsters in the back.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Oblivion is much better than Fallout 3. The achievements are easy to get too, if you're into that kinda stuff. I have all 1250 :D

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us

Love Oblivion. Hate Fallout 3. Help much? I wouldnt think so but I cant explain why (since they are so a like) it just is.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Gunner

Depends, Do you like medieval fantasy minus dwarfs, or do you like post apocalyptic worlds with a futuristic yet 50's era atmosphere?

simpsons_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By simpsons_28

Fallout 3 dissapointed me on all levels.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bubahula

it depends on your preference of setting  as well as fallout having less quests but graphicly superior but oblivion having mad depth, but its all setting , oblivion is awesome :D

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By MKHavoc

I liked Fallout 3 a lot more than Oblivion, not sure why though.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
    @Milkman said:
    " You'll like Oblivion a WHOLE LOT more. Do it. "
    Second that. I got so bored with fallout 3 I never really finished it. 
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_A_Drain

This is the internet, so you'll get my honest opinion.

I can't tell you what you will think of it, but I absolutely fucking hated it. And I played it before Fallout 3. There's just not as much love in it as there is Fallout 3, the area you have to explore is boring, devoid of anything interesting, what there is is all modular, you can plainly see within the first couple hours everything is made from the same 5 rock and building tiles, which is fine in Fallout because modern age stuff really is modular. But in a medieval setting? No.

As for the game itself, I found the quests boring, and buggier than Fallout 3, I found most of the characters annoying, and if you are going backwards every flaw in Fallout 3 will be amplified 10x in Oblivion. The only thing I actually enjoyed was the Arena.

Oh and also, don't expect to be able to go back anywhere being all powerfull at the end, shit tunes itself to your level constantly, why even bother including levels if it's gonna do that? Might as well just be an action game. And theres hardly any character progression given you can do everything, so nothing feels like a tough choice, you can be a member of, and complete all the quests for, and see and do everything with one single character.

Honestly, if you're interested in a game like that go back and play Morrowing, leave Oblivion to rot.

Edit: Just to clarify, before anyone insta-bashes me, I spent 35 - 40 hours exploring Oblivion and then finally got so sick of it I didn't even finish the quest I was on, just took it out and put it back on the shelf. Whereas Fallout 3 I spent 40 hours on before even touching the DLC, then another 20 hours on the DLC and just exploring, i've done every quest and side mission in the game, and theres still two large inner city areas I havn't even been to yet, they are crafted just to give players something to explore. Now that's how you make this kinda free-roaming game. I've spent something like 63 hours on it now and there's sure to be another 5 hours of exploration in there at least, and 2 more DLC packs by the end of next month. I've not spent this much time on a game since the original, or Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, or Baldur's Gate.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @MikeHawk said:
    "

i played fallout 3 back when it came out, but i thought that oblivion looked like a pretty good buy right now considering that i can get all of its expansions included for $30. So since im going from playing a superior clone beforehand to its technically inferior original, will i not like oblivion as much? The setting doesn't make much of a difference, but will i get the same feeling i did as when i played fallout back in november?

"
    I played entirely through Fallout 3. Then I tried Oblivion for the first time and the downgrades made it very unappealing. I could not get into it. Maybe Ill try again soon.
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Green_Incarnate

There's more stuff to do in Oblivion. The world is packed with interesting quests and characters. If you make a decent character, you'll feel like much more of a badass. There's custom spells you can make that pretty much dominates anything in the game. I prefer Oblivion, because the spells are a lot more fun than the guns in Fallout 3. The only problem is that the leveling system is a little different, and can be a little bit more tedious in Oblivion.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ouroboros

Couldnt get over Oblivions constant scaling of the game.

IceCrystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IceCrystal
    Oblivion is prettier and high fantasy, so if you're into that, you'll probably enjoy it just as much as Fallout 3.  Oblivion lacks the VATS system but if you shot from the hip a lot in FO3, you're familiar with the magic mechanic.  Other than that, for FO3 mechanics got a bit of polish but Oblivion is in no way the 'inferior' of the two, not accounting for aesthetic taste. 

Also, if you get lonely and miss doing dastardly deeds, join the Dark Brotherhood.  Lucien Lachance is voiced by the same guy who voiced Mr. Burke, so it's just like being back at Tenpenny Towers. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.