Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

This game just isnt fun...

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Whisperkill

I cant bring myself to play this game anymore, Its not an enjoyable experience?

There are so many stupid design flaws that it ruins the entire game
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I agree 100%. I even wrote a ridiculously long blog about it. I had to give up on it after probably 6 hours or so because I wasn't enjoying a single minute of it. I could not continue to subject myself to the gaming torture that is Far Cry 2.

Necro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Necro

I kind of want to play it for the map editor.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TEAMHOLT

It's pretty slow-paced for a shooter. If you're trying to hammer through missions, you'll have a terrible, terrible time with it.

What do you think are the bad design decisions?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Pibo47
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "I agree 100%. I even wrote a ridiculously long blog about it. I had to give up on it after probably 6 hours or so because I wasn't enjoying a single minute of it. I could not continue to subject myself to the gaming torture that is Far Cry 2."
    Normally, i can bring myself to beat a game even if it sucks major ass...far cry 2 beat me...i couldnt bring myself to beat it.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By maxszy

I don't think its a terrible game, its just designed in a different way that makes playing it much different than your normal shooter.

I couldn't get through it either. I think I spent about 5-6 hours and put it down. That was it. There were two things that really bothered me most of all:

1) The transportation to and from missions. It would end up taking an hour or longer for one mission, where a lot of that was spent travelling to it, or from it. That wasn't enjoyable to me.
    2) The respawns at guard posts. (Also a contributing factor for the length of travel time). The fact that I would kill them, and five minutes later they would be there again, got really annoying to me after awhile.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By super_machine
    Pibo47 said:
    "TheGreatGuero said:
    "I agree 100%. I even wrote a ridiculously long blog about it. I had to give up on it after probably 6 hours or so because I wasn't enjoying a single minute of it. I could not continue to subject myself to the gaming torture that is Far Cry 2."
    Normally, i can bring myself to beat a game even if it sucks major ass...far cry 2 beat me...i couldnt bring myself to beat it."
    Yeah, I got to the point where I didnt care. Without a cohesive story, and all the repetitive gameplay I was second guessing my decision to keep going. Unfortunately for me, the poor quality of Ubisoft game design cause my game files to become corrupted. I got to a huge glitch in the game, and tech support told me I would have to start over. IMO they wasted the good name of Far Cry on an unrelated game just to get people like me to buy it. I loved the original PC title, and I thought this one might be of the same vain. Wrong, someone at Ubisoft had the smart idea to copy paste the Far Cry brand name on this game and call it a day.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Captain_Fookup

if the Campaign had Co-op it would of been the Bee's Knees, along with some other bland aspects of gameplay fixed.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stevokenevo

you guys are really bumming me out.  Ive played about 3 hours of it so far and am enjoying it.  Havent had crashes/bugs yet.

In a defiant sort of way im hoping you lot are all wrong!  :D

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yup! Welcome to the club of people who regret the purchase of this game. FC2 is one of my biggest letdowns. I was mad disappointed...

:(

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By super_machine
    Stevokenevo said:
    "you guys are really bumming me out.  Ive played about 3 hours of it so far and am enjoying it.  Havent had crashes/bugs yet.

In a defiant sort of way im hoping you lot are all wrong!  :D"
    Sorry to disapoint you, but we speak the truth. I had fun with the game, but it gets to a point where it stops being fun. The exploration was the best part of the game, but after you explore everything, the whole game becomes one big broken record. If you get farther than 46%, then you got past the part where I got the game ending glitch. Good luck.
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stevokenevo

Thanks, ill try my best.

KiwiJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KiwiJuice

the first part of the game is a bit slow, but it picks up later on

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Necro said:
    "I kind of want to play it for the map editor."

The video on the Far Cry 2 website of the map editor is an example of overt false advertising. The map editor is far more watered down and useless, you can't even do half of the shit in that video. Don't spend your money on this game, please.
    Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GobiasIndustries

It took me a few hours of playing for it to really click with me. I'm about 40 percent in now and I think it's awesome. It is a little (ok very) repetitive but the main missions are awesome and I personally love just running around doing stuff. The shooting and fire and everything is amazing, and it looks gorgeous. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

The only thing I really dislike is the fact that EVERYONE tries to kill me, but it's alright, it's always enjoyable to blow them the fuck up or light them on fire.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By breadfan

I have had Far Cry 2 since Christmas and I have put probably a total of three hours into it.  Sometimes I have moments where I think 'oh dude that was awsome' to 'i gotta do what?'.  I have had a decent amount of fun with the online, but I still need to put some more time into it.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Snipzor

The thing is, Farcry 2 is a damn good game, but it is virtually unplayable. Like a David Cronenberg movie, you love the idea and the actual gameplay, but it makes you feel uncomfortable. I could never finish it.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Snipzor said:
    "The thing is, Farcry 2 is a damn good game, but it is virtually unplayable. Like a David Cronenberg movie, you love the idea and the actual gameplay, but it makes you feel uncomfortable. I could never finish it."

I spy with my little eye....a paradox!
    Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Hahah, I kind of get that, it's just a lot different than other shooters. I'm way into it now though and I love it.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Phished0ne

I am enjoying this game a lot. I do agree that there are some design flaws,  but i am still enjoying it, after starting it and having trouble with the constant attacking, i turned down the difficulty and am now having no trouble, although this mission where you guard the barge is giving me a bit of trouble.  My key to enjoying FC2 is saving a lot, and only playing in spurts of a few hours, intermixing it with Rock Band, Burnout Paradise, and COD.

RandomBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RandomBullet

Yea, I agree. Dont play the game for long ass sessions, just play for an hour or two and play something else for a while. The next time you play, the game feels fresh.
    Thats how i do it.

Avatar image for galvanizednails
    GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GalvanizedNails
    super_machine said:
    "Stevokenevo said:
    "you guys are really bumming me out.  Ive played about 3 hours of it so far and am enjoying it.  Havent had crashes/bugs yet.

Sorry to disapoint you, but we speak the truth. I had fun with the game, but it gets to a point where it stops being fun. The exploration was the best part of the game, but after you explore everything, the whole game becomes one big broken record. If you get farther than 46%, then you got past the part where I got the game ending glitch. Good luck."
    what exactly was your "game ending glitch" because I think I might just of gotten it :(
    fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fooflighter737

Played the game and finished it. Loved every minute of it.  Not sure what you guys are looking for but this is how shooters should be done.   You need to get creative when taking out enemies.  If you simply are rushing through to "get it done" like most linear shooters, I could see how you would think it's boring....

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By super_machine
    GalvanizedNails said:
    "super_machine said:
    "Stevokenevo said:

Sorry to disapoint you, but we speak the truth. I had fun with the game, but it gets to a point where it stops being fun. The exploration was the best part of the game, but after you explore everything, the whole game becomes one big broken record. If you get farther than 46%, then you got past the part where I got the game ending glitch. Good luck."
    what exactly was your "game ending glitch" because I think I might just of gotten it :(
    "
    The barge captain in the Marina rescue mission spawned in the wrong location. So the event timing was fucked up and it wouldnt let me complete the objective of that mission. Since it was a part of the main quest, I couldnt do any side missions or move forward in the game without beating this part. I tried loading an older save but it still happened. It must have been something corrupted in the script as I was playing the game. When I got to that point, I couldnt bring myself to start over because I had already spent so much time collecting all the diamonds and beating all missions on the Northern map. It felt like a huge waste of time. Ubisoft lost my support for good.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kohe321

100% agreed, I regret buying it on Steam. It really didn't do anything for me...

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Death_Unicorn

The traveling, repetitiveness, infinite enemy respawns and the protagonist having Malaria all made me give up on that game. I mean seriously Malaria? I don't want to play a game so I can experience Malaria.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hitchenson

Eh... I differ to most then. As I'm really enjoying the game, I'm around 75%, had it since Christmas just got so many other games to do that I ain't finished either; CoD: WaW, Skate 2, Midnight Club: LA... And yet I still just play Halo 3 online xD

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Stevokenevo

Well, as an update, im about 52% in.  Havent had the game ending glitch people have mentioned. 

I have really enjoyed certain parts of the game, the game looks gorgeous, some of the missions are cool.

Things that irritate me are infinite respawns, even when youve just cleared out a guard station!  Guys would just appear from nowhere occasionally.  Also, enemy AI is weirdly tempremental, and guns jamming?!  STOOPID. 

Other than that though, im gonna carry on and complete it.  I really like the Jackal character.  I actually wish I was working for him doing bad stuff instead of lame peace missions!

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    Stevokenevo said:
    .  Also, enemy AI is weirdly tempremental, and guns jamming?!  STOOPID. 

I actually liked this idea.  It really happens, and it can really mess up a good thing when it does.  

I agree with most of the people here though, it just wasn't my kind of game.  I know a guy I work with loves it though, so to each their own.  
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By MeatSim

Well once I got around to the 60% completion mark the game freezes every time on the load screen so a game ending glitch has ruined the game for me and i'm still waiting for a patch to fix it.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Binman88

Apart from some control issues (PC version) and some design flaws as you mentioned I still find Far Cry 2 quite enjoyable. I'm at about 90% completion now and I agree that there was alot of repetition and monotony throughout the game, but when the game was firing on all cylinders it was pretty damn good.

It is definitely not a perfect game and I think the decision to make the game world free roaming was a bit pointless and ultimately detrimental to the experience. I rarely felt like doing more needless ambling about the map knowing I'd just have to do a load more of it anyway for the missions. The game would have benefited from a more enclosed world in my opinion, with a more straightforward (linear?) progression with a decent amount of more interesting and unique missions, instead of the "go there, shoot this guy, blow that up" repetitive action Far Cry 2 offers.

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Duke_Lion

I totally agree, I also did not enjoy the game much at all either, but for different reasons.  I actually forced myself to beat it though.

Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rapture
    Binman88 said:
    "Apart from some control issues (PC version) and some design flaws as you mentioned I still find Far Cry 2 quite enjoyable. I'm at about 90% completion now and I agree that there was alot of repetition and monotony throughout the game, but when the game was firing on all cylinders it was pretty damn good.It is definitely not a perfect game and I think the decision to make the game world free roaming was a bit pointless and ultimately detrimental to the experience. I rarely felt like doing more needless ambling about the map knowing I'd just have to do a load more of it anyway for the missions. The game would have benefited from a more enclosed world in my opinion, with a more straightforward (linear?) progression with a decent amount of more interesting and unique missions, instead of the "go there, shoot this guy, blow that up" repetitive action Far Cry 2 offers."
    yea and i also hate going past guard posts
    mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mikevanpwn

Despite the drawbacks with some of the issues in the game.  I loved Far Cry 2.  I beat it back in December but plan to play it again.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BigBoss1911

I havent played it myself but from just looking at gameplay vids it looks pretty boring.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By breadfan

I am about 40% done with the game and I have enjoyed it so far.  It took me a while to get into, but after that I began to really like it.  I haven't played it in a while though since I am playing Street Fighter IV for the most part these days

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Scieran

Despite the design flaws, I guess they wanted to make the game vast, like a replica of Africa and what it would be like if someone goes there, done throught the game and they hoped it'd receive good criticisms but ironically it didn't.

mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mxdirector

main problem i had with the game.
    no stealth.
    the knife isnt silent so any one you kill with it makes a noise.
    theres no scouting tools, and the ai likes to randomly scatter out. so you either have to be on your guard all the time or risk just walking in to a stray soldier.
    if you get spotted, thats it, they all see you and the snipers can pick you off from a 100 miles away.

i loved mgs3, and to me far cry 2 felt just like mgs3 at first.

the game is just rubbish.

Charleslegrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Charleslegrand
    I put the game down for 6 months (almost precise to the hour) at 80% completion.  Then, two days ago, I came back to it for the explosions and finished it.  Basically, this game brakes up in two parts:
    1) from 0-80% : drive to places, kill some random guys and blow stuff up
    2) 80%-100% : drive to places, kill the guys who used to give you missions and end the game (not ruining the ending...but it's not worth finishing the game for)

It had great potential but man o' man, way to much repetition!  

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#41  Edited By ImperiousRix

And I felt like I was just a wierdo.  I felt horrible that I quit about three hours into Far Cry 2.  I just couldn't take the way the game dragged, and I personally just wasn't having much fun with what I did play.
    It was a nice idea, and I think it has solid elements.
    It just didn't do it for me.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DECA555

i find it is more enjoyable depending on your play style. Im the stealthy ambushing type and i find this game to be really fun and rewarding. And running over zebras in a truck is fucking amazing.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Sooperspy

I spent about 8 hours and got completely bored, it was good at first but got slowly old. plus, the multiplayer is bland.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By gingertastic_10

i agree...it seems dull...i just got it, so im hoping it gets better as it goes on...the game looks great, but there are sooooo many pop ins. the side quests are bad so far

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By darkspirit138

I thought i was the only person who did not like this game

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By darkspirit138

I thought i was the only person who did not like this game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.