FIFA 09 is the latest addition to EA's premier soccer/football video game, developed by EA Canada and published under the EA Sports brand. It was released on numerous platforms including Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, and Nintendo DS towards the end of 2008. The game features over 500 teams with 30 international leagues and 41 national teams, 49 stadiums and all new offline and online modes.
One of the new features in the game was the addition of; Adidas Live Season
. This will provide weekly stat updates that cover all players and teams in the English Premier League, Spain's La Liga, France's Ligue 1, the German Bundesliga, Italy's Serie A and, strangely, the Mexican Pimera Division. Footballers in the game will have their stats chnged every week so their in game stats will rise or fall depending on how they play in real life.
The demo for Xbox 360 and PS3 was released on September 11th. It allows players to compete in a full exhibition match, two minutes for each half. If at full time the score reflects a draw, a penalty shootout takes place to determine the winner. Teams in the demo include Chelsea, AC Milan, Real Madrid, and Marseille.
FIFA 09 hit shelves in Australia on October 2, in Europe October 3 and in North America October 15, 2008.
According to the producer of FIFA 09, David Rutter, over 250 key improvements were made from the previous iteration.
- Graphics - Overall look of the game has been upgraded from its previous title, FIFA 08. There will be cut scenes while a player is being substituted and the reaction of that player varies depending on his impact during the match. Players are seen warming up if they are substituted during the half time. The crowd also has been improved in terms of graphics and has been regionalized.
- Physic & Animation System - Improved physics system affects the players and the ball on the pitch thus adding even more realism to the game. Individual attributes of the players will now heavily influence dribbling, running, tackling, heading, passing, and shooting, which are much more responsive. Mid-air collisions have been added as well.
- Players, Teams, and Stadiums - The number of real-life players, teams, and stadiums have increased. The new licensed teams will include official logos and accurate kits.
- Weather and Time - Unlike FIFA 08, weather options will be present such as rain and snow. These weather conditions affect the gameplay as well as the appearance of the players. For example, players will wear gloves and/or put their socks up higher. Players can choose the time of the game among day, dusk, and night. When the match starts out as dusk, the second half will begin as night.
- Faces - Players' faces will be revamped in order to capture more of the actual characteristics of the real-life players with the 3-D modeling technology.
- Keeper - Goal Keepers are extremely enhanced regarding their positioning and goalkeeping abilities this time around compare to the ones in FIFA 08 therefore reducing the chances of letting goals in the back of the net. Another new addition to the keepers is that they can change their mind in mid-dive by reaching their hands out the other way once they realize a mistake has been made.
- Artificial Intelligence - The AI in FIFA 09 will now act more cleverly and realistically.
- Custom Team Tactics - With over 50,000 combinations of team tactics, players can now incorporate their unique color of playing style to their desired team.
- Celebrations - When a goal is scored, the player is able to decide which goal celebration to perform.
New Game Modes
Be A Pro Seasons
- FIFA 09 provides the opportunity to play as a single player, in any outfield position, on any team for a whole season mode. You start by choosing a real-life player or you can create your own and play through four seasons of career mode for your team. Along the way you will improve your player's stats, become captain of your club, get called up to the national team and eventually be crowned a club and/or national hero.
Be A Pro Online - Improving on the 5v5 mode in FIFA 08 EA has expanded this mode to allow up to 10 players on each team to take control of a player and work together. This mode has also been integrated with the Online Clubs mode.
Online Clubs - Players can now create and join online clubs so that friends can easily meet up, practice and get into competitive matches together in the 10vs10 online mode. As many as 50 players may now join together to play against other clubs. The best clubs at the end of the season will play off to be crowned the best players of Be A Pro online.
*Not all of the features listed above are included on all platforms.
Ultimate TeamEA announced their first downloadable expansion for FIFA 09 called Ultimate Team. This new mode revolves around collecting cards with over 4,000 star player cards to collect. Players will be given a starter pack upon starting the game mode and will be able to trade with other players online to build a strong team. New cards can also be acquired by playing games with your team and through an auction mode. There are 30 different types of card in all, including Managers, Coaches and Special Abilities. The mode will also feature new tournaments for players to compete in online. FIFA 09 Ultimate Team will be available for download on Xbox 360 and PS3 from March 19 2009. When released whether you purchase the DLC o r not, there will be a mandatory 1.3gb update that will add an Ultimate Team Demo to the game. The PS3 version of the update will also add Trophy support.
Gillette - EA Sports Champions of Gaming Tournament
Registration opened on October 31st for the Champions of Gaming Tournament which will allow players from the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific to compete in a worldwide rankings compeition. The champion from each region will be able to travel to Orlando Florida in February 2009 to see who will be the ultimate champion and have the chance to meet some of the worlds biggest sporting stars. You can sign up within the FIFA 09 menu by submitting your name and email address.
Artist - Song - Album
- Caesar Palace - 1ne - Dogs from V-Gas (Italy)
- Chromeo - Bonafied Lovin' (Yuksek Remix) - Fancy Footwork: Deluxe Edition (Canada)
- CSS - Jager Yoga - Donkey (Brazil)
- Curumin - Magrela - Japan Pop Show (Brazil)
- Cut Copy - Lights And Music - In Ghost Colours (Australia)
- Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley - Something For You (One Loaf Of Bread) - (Jamaica)
- Datarock - True Stories - (Norway)
- DJ Bitman - Me Gustan - Latin Bitman (Chile)
- Duffy - Mercy - Rockferry (Wales)
- Foals - Olympic Airways - Antidotes (England)
- Gonzales - Working Together (Boys Noize Remix) - Soft Power (France)
- Hot Chip - Ready For The Floor (Soulwax Remix) - Made In The Dark (England)
- Jakobinarina - I'm A Villain - First Crusade (Iceland)
- Junkie XL - Mad Pursuit - Booming Back At You (Holland)
- Jupiter One - Platform Moon - Jupiter One (USA)
- Kasabian - Fast Fuse - (England)
- Ladytron - Runaway - Velocifero (England)
- Lykke Li - I'm Good I'm Gone - Youth Novels (Sweden)
- Macaco - Movin' - (Spain)
- MGMT - Kids - Oracular Spectacular (USA)
- My Federation - What Gods Are These - Don't Wanna Die (England)
- Najwajean - Drive Me - Till It Breaks (Spain)
- Plastilina Mosh - Let U Know - All U Need Is Mosh (Mexico)
- Radiopilot -Fahrrad - Fahrrad (Germany)
- Reverend And The Makers - Open Your Window - The State Of Things (England)
- Sam Sparro - Black & Gold - Sam Sparro (USA)
- Señor Flavio - Lo Mejor Del Mundo - Supersaund 2012 (Argentina)
- Soprano - Victory - (France)
- The Airborne Toxic Event - Gasoline - The Airborne Toxic Event (USA)
- The Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You (The Twelves Remix) - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You (USA)
- The Bloody Beetroots - Butter - (Italy)
- The Fratellis - Tell Me A Lie - Here We Stand (Scotland)
- The Heavy - That Kind Of Man - Great Vengeance And Furious Fire (England)
- The Kissaway Trail - 61 - The Kissaway Trail (Denmark)
- The Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be - Konk (England)
- The Pinker Tones - The Whistling Song - Wild Animals (Spain)
- The Script - The End Where I Begin - The Script (Ireland)
- The Ting Tings - Keep Your Head - We Started Nothing (England)
- The Veronicas - Untouched - Hook Me Up (Australia)
- The Whip Muzzle - #1 - X Marks Destination (England)
- Tom Jones - Feels Like Music (Junkie XL Remix) - (Wales)
- Ungdomskulen - Modern Drummer - Cry-Baby (Norway)
List of Teams
West Bromwich Albion
West Ham United
Preston North End
Queens Park Rangers
England League One
Brighton & Hove Albion
England League Two
Dagenham & Redbridge
Italy Serie A
Italy Serie B
Spain Primera Division
Deportivo la Coruna
Sporting de Gijon
Athletico Madrid (B)
Celta Vigo (B)
Racing Satanter (B TEAM)
Universidad Las Palmas
Turkey Süper Lig
South Korea K-League
Belgium Jupiler League
Mons - Bergen
Standard de Liege
Vasco da Gama
France Ligue 1
France Ligue 2
Germany Bundesliga 2
Carl Zeiss Jena
Ado den Haag
Odra Wodzislaw Slaski
Portugal Liga Bwin
Scottish Premier League (SPL)
Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Swiss Super League
BSC Young Boys
New England Revolution
NY Red Bulls
Real Salt Lake
Australian Hyandai A-League
Central Coast Mariners
FC Lyn Oslo
Xbox 360 Game InstallationFIFA Soccer '09 requires 6.0GB of space to install on an Xbox 360 HDD.