Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VI

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 02, 1994

Formerly known as Final Fantasy III in North America, Final Fantasy VI follows a diverse group of heroes as they fight to defeat Kefka, a megalomaniac intent on using a combination of long-lost magic and technology to take over the world.

Renamed Characters

Surfcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Surfcaster

This one may seem a little silly, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

For some reason, ever since I was a kid, I changed some of the names of the characters in FF6.  Some started off as a joke, some I'm not sure why, but to this day there are certain characters I always rename.  Here's the ones that stuck:

• Shadow = Ace (Why, I'm not sure.  Can't seem to recall why, but I've always continued to.)
    • Edgar = Poe (For some reason I always thought Edgar was too normal, so I went for the last name of Edgar Allan Poe.)
    • Gau = Animal (Whenever I read his text as a kid, I always did it in the muppet, Animal's, voice.)
    • Strago = Blue (This one is relatively new.   I did it once as a kid because he was a blue mage, but since the movie Old School, he's my boy, Blue!)

Here are some I used to use and don't anymore:
    • Setzer = Gambit (I always was a fan of the X-Men.)
    • Locke = Robero (At combination of the fact that he "robbed" people and it was a nickname of a friend.)
    • Mog = Moog (I've always pronounced the name phonetically "Mogue" and that is how Andy Moog pronounces his last name.  He was a former goalie for the Boston Bruins, in case anyone is wondering.)

Yeah, so that's my list.  I know, it's kinda lame, but I figured I'd see if anyone else does the same thing.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Maybe I was OCD, but in Pokemon, I always named the main character Ash... At least in Red, Blue, and Yellow.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

I thought we were going to point out things like Terra's name being changed from the Japanese version's name, Tina.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Maybe I was OCD, but in Pokemon, I always named the main character Ash... At least in Red, Blue, and Yellow."
    me too, I all ways kept the original name for characters unless they had no actual default name.
    Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Sander

I changed Edgar's name to Gerad. So later on in the game, the dialogue is screwed because Edgar assumes a new identity, calling himself Gerad. "That Gerad person looks exactly like...Gerad! But how? And Gerad behaves nothing like Gerad..."

The devs also did a bit of renaming too: What were once Cafés in the original SNES version have subsequently been renamed to Pubs. Yet when you enter the building, the overlay will still show CAFE. 
    And Fenixdowns have been changed to Phoenixdowns.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG

I changed Locke's name to Brandon. Also Squall's, Cloud's, Bartz's, Zidane's, Cecil's, and Tidus'. This Brandon fellow is like the new Link (except in Oracle of Seasons, that dude was Brandon, too).

When I got older, I kept the original names.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By icicle7x3

I rename all my RPG characters to the different beams from the Metroid series.

For example for FFVI it would go:

Terra - Wave

Locke - Charge

Edgar - Ice

Sabin - Plaz

etc.

I would eventually run out of beams and would have to get a little bit more creative from there, but I always go through the beams before anything else...dont really know why.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clinkz

Here's my name change Final Fantasy VI - Shit.

I kid, I kid. I changed none of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.