Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Is Square out of touch? Or just mean?

• 107 results
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By FrostyRyan

Seriously though, this quickly turned into a thread about bashing FFVII, as any thread about FFVII will do.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it remade so it becomes clear that game was just as bad as FF13 so fans can stop acting like SE changed. They changed at FF7, not after. That was the beginning of what they are now and possibly the nadir. Caith Sith is the Mr. Mime of the FF universe. That is, people bitch like "summons that turn into bikes and a chocobo living in an afro man oh man this series use to be good" and then you go "Caith Sith". Right. Its always been what it is. Please remake it, the remake will only make that clearer. The koolaid drinkers need their catharthis.

aaaaaaand here's the best example, to a comical level of how arrogant people can get when talking about how bad they think FFVII is.

I'm not drinking any koolaid, bud.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By bargainben

@frostyryan said:

@bargainben said:

I want it remade so it becomes clear that game was just as bad as FF13 so fans can stop acting like SE changed. They changed at FF7, not after. That was the beginning of what they are now and possibly the nadir. Caith Sith is the Mr. Mime of the FF universe. That is, people bitch like "summons that turn into bikes and a chocobo living in an afro man oh man this series use to be good" and then you go "Caith Sith". Right. Its always been what it is. Please remake it, the remake will only make that clearer. The koolaid drinkers need their catharthis.

aaaaaaand here's the best example, to a comical level of how arrogant people can get when talking about how bad they think FFVII is.

I'm not drinking any koolaid, bud.

Im on your side, spazz, I want the remake too. I just wonder how much magic will be lost without the Popeye arms you know.

And will young people be able to appreciate the tasteless homage to Mr. T or will they just think he's a badly written character? I'd love to know what the newer generation would think of this game. Genuinely. Even though I just played through the PC version of FF7 followed by the PC version of FF13, I'd gladly pay money to play through a prettier version of that genre killing trainwreck of a game once again.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im on your side, spazz, I want the remake too. I just wonder how much magic will be lost without the Popeye arms you know

I love FFVII and I don't want the remake. Didn't even say I did.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure FF6 has multiple protagonists in an interwoven tale but does it have snowboarding? Give me my 1080p Cloud snowboarding Square Enix, get in touch with what people want.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Seriously though, this quickly turned into a thread about bashing FFVII, as any thread about FFVII will do.

Don't you know that FF VII is the worst game of all time and singlehandedly brought about the decline of Japanese video games and the rise of the western devs? FF IV/VI for life, bro.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By 71Ranchero
    Can history repeat itself?
    Can history repeat itself?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7 said:

@frostyryan said:

Don't you know that FF VII is the worst game of all time and singlehandedly brought about the decline of Japanese video games and the rise of the western devs? FF IV/VI for life, bro.

IT KILLED THE GENRE, I TELLS YA

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy 7 didn't change my life, but I was at least willing to finish it, which is more than I can say for 13.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Karkarov

Man this forum loves to hate on FFVII! Seriously guys the game was great when it came out, and while it hasn't aged well I dare you to find me a PS1 game that has. I would still rather play 7 again than any of the 13's, 8, 9, or maybe even 12 or 10 (pretends 10/2 doesn't exist). It is a great JRPG suck it up and deal!

That said.... holy crap what are you thinking Square? Seriously? A port of a port of the buggiest version of the game to ever exist with 0 improvements of any kind? Who do you think is going go buy this? I definitely am not. No one is that freaking die hard, and the ones who are need help desperately. I am not joking, if you are thinking of buying this on PS4 got see a therapist now. Christ sake, either do a hd remaster (I would buy it, so would a ton of others), or let the game rest in peace and stop using it as a dead horse cash cow.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I mean. This makes perfect sense. Given that the architecture is so similar to PC they won't have to spend very much to put it on PS4 which already has a decent install base. It costs SE almost nothing to do it.

I don't think feelings come into- things like "being mean" don't really factor into them making this decision.

Why announce it at PSX? Because Sony probably asked if they wanted to announce anything there. I don't think it was the other way around like you think.

It's purely a business move- they had to show up in some capacity. This was an easy thing to admit they were doing. Any backlash they get because of it is juvenile.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Sinusoidal

And the world heaves a big resounding "MEH". Anyone who has wanted to replay VII in the past 17 years has had plenty of time to dig it up for PS3 or PC. Heck, PS2 was backwards compatible. I loved it on release. Bought a PS1 for it actually. I tried to replay it about 10 years ago and though it was dated then.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember they want $15+ for mobile versions of the early FF games.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Corevi

@karkarov: FF9 holds up really well. Other PSX Games that hold up: Symphony of the Night, Every Street Fighter, Vagrant Story, Pro Skater 2, Suikoden 1 and 2, FF Tactics, Persona 1 and 2 and Wipeout 2097.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

@karkarov: FF9 holds up really well. Other PSX Games that hold up: Symphony of the Night, Every Street Fighter, Vagrant Story, Pro Skater 2, Suikoden 1 and 2, FF Tactics, Persona 1 and 2 and Wipeout 2097.

I will spot you Symphony of the Night. The rest you are on shaky ground and I love me some Persona.

G3ese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity: @skyfire543: FF7 is an amazing game. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Crembaw

FF7 is a game which was incredibly dependent on the context of its time period, in which, yeah, it was really fucking good. I am not sure that its specific gameplay can make the jump to today's audiences, although this year has seen a smattering of successful old-fashioned RPGs that might indicate it would do well. But they may as well just port the PC version, considering the precedent they've set vis a vis reviving old classics and the engineering that's being done around making old PC games work on the system. Sure, it won't all translate, but some of it's gotta.

They probably also just ran the numbers and determined that remaking FF7 wouldn't be worth the money Sony or consumers would be willing to pay back. It's a huge game, and old enough that remaking it would take substantially more investment than upping its resolution.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Square needs money, so they put in the least amount of work possible to appeal to a very specific demographic of people. it's very underhanded and pretty gross, but they probably don't care.

There's nothing underhanded or gross going on. They're not forcing anyone to buy it and they're not misleading anyone. If someone wants to play Final Fantasy VII on the PS4, now they can. If you don't want to play it, you don't have to. How can you fault a company for releasing something that people want to play?

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70  Edited By regularassmilk

Admittedly, I'm an outsider looking into all of this having a very limited experience with Final Fantasy, but do you guys really, really, really want a remake of FFVII? Surely there are exceptions to be made about games that hold up like mad, but I feel like an upres/update/remastering/remake would kind of nuke the magic.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since FF10 Square has seemed like they live in their own little bubble to me, so yes I'd say they have lost touch. Supposedly they're making people interested in FFXV though so that's something?

I liked FF7 back in the day and I would happily pay full price for a proper remake. There's a lot of scenes and areas I'd love to see remade with present graphical capabilities. Sadly it's a huuuuge game and the resources needed to do so are probably astronomical.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FrostyRyan

@regularassmilk said:

Admittedly, I'm an outsider looking into all of this having a very limited experience with Final Fantasy, but do you guys really, really, really want a remake of FFVII? Surely there are exceptions to be made about games that hold up like mad, but I feel like an upres/update/remastering/remake would kind of nuke the magic.

Resident Evil is a horribly dated game and that got a full fledged remake on the gamecube, which many would argue is the best Resident Evil ever made. I'm one of those people.

FFVII is dated in a lot of areas. A remake would be pretty improbable but.....it would probably be a good thing. Personally, I'm not asking for an FFVII remake here. But if they made it, I'd certainly get it.

EDIT: plus, like all remakes, the original is still there to enjoy. not going anywhere. magic retained no matter what.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#73  Edited By Deusoma

This trolling is the very first time I've seen them cross the line so dramatically, so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and say that I think they're not actively out to be dicks to their userbase, they're just completely out of touch with reality. I don't blame them for making a port of the Steam version and putting it on PS4. I don't even blame them for not working on an HD makeover at this point, considering they're already working on a new Final Fantasy game as well as a new Kingdom Hearts game. But you don't go on a big live-on-stage press event just to announce you've ported your most popular product ever yet again, this is the kind of predictable non-news they should have announced with a text-only press release, or by quietly putting a trailer on the official company YouTube account.

On a side note, I feel like the people pointing out that Square would never make back the money it costs to make a Final Fantasy VII remastering are both being shortsighted and missing the point. Shortsighted because people are still buying the original game seventeen years later, they can keep putting out an HD remake on every console that comes out between now and the end of time. And missing the point because frankly, the benefits of this particular undertaking have nothing to do with money. It's about the facts that a) Their most dedicated, most hardcore fanbase will never be truly satisfied until they do this one thing, and every announcement they ever make that isn't this one thing will be met with at least a little negative feedback because of it, and b) By giving their most dedicated, most hardcore fanbase exactly what they've been asking for for more than a decade now, they'll build up so many positive feelings that it won't matter what mistakes they make for the next fifteen years or so, this will protect them. "Sure, Kingdom Hearts 3 was garbage*, but hey, at least they finally did that remake, right?"

Oh, and for the record, I'm looking at this strategically, not as a fanboy. I never played much of FF7 personally, thought it was okay. I liked FF8 better.

*just an example

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@bargainben: I replayed FF7 this year, making it my 4th or 5th playthrough. It's still fun but am I am aware that the weird prerendered backgrounds and the mostly janky looking 3D models deter from an otherwise great game. It's as if some hivemind collectively decided to dump on this game because reasons. To be fair, I'd rather have them remake 8 or 9 because those are probably more suitable and better games in general.

That said, Square Enix is both out of touch ánd mean. That or their translators forgot to translate HD or Remake when translating fan request. That would be hilarious.

The next time that Wada shows up, they should hand out tomatoes to the crowd. This shit is ridicilous. Flying out from all the way to Japan to Vegas to announce a port of a 17 year old game with a MIDI soundtrack. Not even crossbuy probably. Makes me want to strangle a chocobo with its own reins.

Tifa can still german suplex a one-winged angel while a supernova is taking place. How can FF7 be bad?

jdw519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

As cool as it would be to see the game get remade, I have no interest in replaying all of that content for the 4th or 5th time. They maybe shouldn't have presented it in such a way, but there's no way to make a FF7 announcement without pissing someone off.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I find it funny that people are calling Square "out of touch" or "mean" for this.

If anything it just says to me they are being cheap. They didn't exactly put max effort into their FF Xiii PC port either.

They probably have some number puncher that calculated how much they'd make out of just pushing out a port of a port vs a remaster and came to the probably correct conclusion that people would buy it whatever they did. Therefore cheapest route = most profit $$$.

I think they are publicly traded in Japan, so they probably have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to min/max Short term Profit even at the expense of longterm reputation.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By roboculus92

The main reason people are upset is the misleading way it was presented. If they had just announced this alongside those other games coming to the ps4 then I doubt people would have been that upset. But to have them actually give this its own segment, have the president of Square-Enix actually fly down here to announce this, and then mention stuff like "we know you've been waiting for this for 17 years" was just going too far. There had to be people at Sony and Square-Enix that knew how much of a troll this was going to be but they still decided to go with it anyways because I don't know, fuck it. It really killed the momentum of the last 20 minutes of the show.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If they are using the PC version of FFVII they need to change the translation back so Aerith says "This guy are sick" like she did on PS1. I was so disappointed, replaying that game on PC, that although all the other awful translation errors are still in there, that one wasn't :(

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roboculus92: Suikoden 1 and 2 are coming to PS3 and Vita not PS4 (because PS4 does not currently support PS1 Classics).

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really bummed its not a remake or remastered version. Why would I buy a game that looks like ass on my PS3 for my PS4?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@dudeglove: I prefer not pronouncing it at all, leaving him behind, never to be used again.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Will it have the inferiour MEDI music from the PC version as well? I'll stick with playing the PS1 version on PS3. I have given up hope for a proper HD Remake. They did FFX but that is a PS2 game, it is much easier to make HD than the extremely primitive graphics in FF7. I think we will see an HD version of FF12 at some point though given how FFX did well.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Not really a troll unless you are gullible and think they'd actually remake FFVII in the shape they are in.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@corevi said:

I will spot you Symphony of the Night. The rest you are on shaky ground and I love me some Persona.

Tactics is still fine too. Though it never was for everyone.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@g3ese: I don't think its a bad game although "amazing" might be giving it a bit more credit than its due.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You try going back and playing Final Fantasy 7

I dare ya!

It's quite literally aged so poorly it's become one of the worst games ever released

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@dudeglove: I always thought it rhymed with 'That shit'.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@jasonr86 said:

I thought it was fantastic. And I promise it'll sell for $20-25. What an incredibly insane, hilarious thing to do.

It was a wonderful bit of accidental, tone-deaf trolling of the audience, and I thought it was great

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90  Edited By The_Nubster

@the_nubster said:

Square needs money, so they put in the least amount of work possible to appeal to a very specific demographic of people. it's very underhanded and pretty gross, but they probably don't care.

There's nothing underhanded or gross going on. They're not forcing anyone to buy it and they're not misleading anyone. If someone wants to play Final Fantasy VII on the PS4, now they can. If you don't want to play it, you don't have to. How can you fault a company for releasing something that people want to play?

Underhanded and gross refers to them taking the stage at a fairly large event, flaunting a game which people have been clamouring for an HD remake of, and then revealing it to be a slightly up-ressed port of a PC release that has a pretty middling reputation. There was no reason they needed stage time to announce that they were porting FF7, and giving them that time only made it seem that they had a much bigger announcement. The outcry from the fans is enough proof that they mislead people and played on their nostalgia. This continues to be Sony being obligated by some contract, written or otherwise, that says Square absolutely has to have stage time at their events.

They're not claiming it to be anything else now, but in that moment, they were definitely twisting people's expectations.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#91  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I should really play that copy of FFVII I have on Steam so I can single-handedly settle the debate if it has aged poorly or not.

That all being said, the hilarious troll-y way they announced a port of a 17 year old game seems more oblivious than malicious.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it wrong that I just want them to remake it so people will stop screaming about it, then watch the complaints about the game roll in because it wasn't remade as users built it up to be?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By kindgineer

@bongchilla: I'll throw both sides of my thought process into the mix:

1. They know the game will sell. Especially on PlayStation 4. Hell, having no interest at all for Final Fantasy (the franchise) while growing, I'm interested in picking it up. I don't have the previous releases to lean on as a complaint, so maybe that's what they are betting on?

2. Sometimes it's not as easy as counting to three when it comes to this sort of stuff. With the amount of systems, mechanics, and sheer amount of content in a game like FF:VII, I can imagine the process for redefining the graphics, gameplay, etc. sounds like a no-brainer to the consumer (who is at no risk financially for said project and only benefits from its release), but I can imagine the numbers might look different from the business perspective.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interested to know what age people where when ff7 came out who don't like it. I think it's hard to know how the game was if you weren't around when it came out. Obviously it won't be everyone .

I remember being disappointed by it when it came out but I still enjoyed my first run quite a bit.

And to the people who say ff9 holds up fairly well: they are correct

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with the posts saying FF9 holds up fairly well. FF7 is unplayable if you ask me, and FF8 is barely playable.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@71ranchero: honestly ill be surprised if they even 900000 bucks this tine. :(

Avatar image for thekrusemissile
    TheKruseMissile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By TheKruseMissile

I don't understand people saying the gameplay is horribly dated and doesn't hold up.

Did we play the same game?

FF7 has what is essentially standard turn-based combat. Lots of modern games have standard turn-based combat.

The gameplay holds up just fine. It's good, and is still good today.

The graphics and translation are what haven't held up, and why people want a remake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bongchilla said:

I'm sure most saw the "reveal" of FF7 on PS4 and how it's just a port of the PC version. Thats it, nothing more. This version will still have all the translation errors and nonsense the PC and PSX version had.

I don't care if they don't fix the translation errors. Adds to the charm.

I just finished 7 and I gotta say the translation is the big sore spot for that game. The rest holds up. I WILL DEFEND THIS TO MY GRAVE.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting back on track... I wish they would just do a package of a bunch of the really old Final Fantasy games. Selling them on their own for more than $5 each seems a little steep to me (especially if they don't do much, if anything, to them). That said, making them available on new hardware each time isn't going to hurt anyone Though, obviously it disincentives SE from remaking them or selling them in packages if they are already available like this - but I think if they ever got to a point where they did feel like they wanted to revisit them; they'd probably be clasping it straws such that having the old versions already out wouldn't stop them.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@galacticpunt: FFVII had a map that filled the whole screen transparently by pushing select.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.